Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handmeups
Oct 20, 2007

"All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in byob." - Jean-Paul Sartre

QVT posted:

I really like the quieter calmer bands like Mono and the Album Leaf, are there any other bands who have a similar calming style?

I also like regular harder post-rock just not in the same places, and I can find plenty of that. It's the soft stuff that is so rare out there, every band wants to throw in climaxes constantly.

Mono is definitely not quiet or calm. I think they're one of the loudest and most intense bands out there. So maybe you're listening with your volume low. And I actually mean that because their albums are mastered at a much lower (better, not compressed) level than most CD's today, so you may need to turn it up. That said, I suppose that listening at a lower volume can produce the quiet/calm effect, so you could try it with other bands too. But for a real example, I'm listening to Joy Wants Eternity and they seem pretty calm or "soft" regardless of volume. Also, Grails is a good band with a psychedelic bent and few noisy climaxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handmeups
Oct 20, 2007

"All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in byob." - Jean-Paul Sartre

QVT posted:

This was my fault, I messed up on tagging the CDs as I put them in, and Caspian and Mono got mixed up. I'm just going to go hang my head in shame now.

I think I'll go listen to real Mono now while residing in shame.

Haha, well that explains it!

For more contributing etc.:

I'm sure we all know and love Mogwai, but I have to mention my favorite release of theirs in case anyone's overlooked it: My Father My King. It's one 20 min. song released on a CD single, and it's very intense and heavy. Also, for bonus points, it was engineered by Steve Albini.

One of my favorite CD's of the past couple years is Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain. Their sound is heavy metal, but the music stands with the best "post-rock". And the overrated Pelican doesn't compare with Agalloch.