Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ohms posted:

Hey guys, my band Spaces (https://www.spacescold.com) is doing a give away of our album. We recently broke 900 likes and are in the home stretch to our goal of 1000. Every 10th new person to like our Facebook page will get a free digital download of our album. If you haven't liked the page yet, nows the time! And if you have (thank you), tell your friends and help them get some new music for free!

Our site where you can hear our music: http://www.spacescold.com
Our FB page: http://www.facebook.com/spacesmusic

Jumping on the bandwagon, I think this is awesome too and will definitely be purchasing shortly have just purchased it for :10bux:, and will recommend to a couple of my internet friends who are into this sort of stuff

Also re: Jakob, I think cale:drew is their best album, Semaphore, Skew...aard, Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation and Faye are all brilliant tracks

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, Jakob are recording their next album at the moment but judging from their posts on facebook they are having trouble finding equipment they need so it might be a while yet

Also, Dominion is a top notch release, and it was for sale online but I think it's sold out now, each copy was numbered too

e: The physical copy isn't available anymore, but it's $1.50 on their bandcamp in a heap of formats

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 2, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The only post rock bands I've gotten to see live so far are Jakob and Mono, and they were phenomenal. I really want to see God Is An Astronaut too, but I don't have high hopes of them ever doing Australia

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm listening to it now and it's so lush and beautiful

I am going to echo this, I'm nearly halfway through and I think it's already become my favourite Sigur Rós album. As much as I love Ágætis Byrjun, this one feels a lot more ethereal or something, I dunno but I am seriously digging this

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Sigur Rós has just put up the pre-order page for Valtari and I am legitimately disappointed that there's no blu-ray option. Ekki múkk sounds glorious in 320kbps though so I guess it's not all bad

e: also why would anyone want a $200 blanket :iiam:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 1, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nomapple posted:

Yeah I don't understand that, haha. Also, shouldn't there be a "vinyl+download" option? Why should I bother with the CD if I can get a high quality download and a vinyl? The art print looks really nice though, might have to snag that. Fully expecting this album to be life affirming and glorious in every way.

Yeah I thought that was a bit weird too, but I don't buy much on vinyl so I'm not terrible bothered, I ordered the CD + shirt + print. I downloaded the album when it leaked and I have to say I prefer it to anything else they've put out

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 1, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just ~*happen*~ to be in England on holiday when they're touring, got my ticket for the London show a few weeks ago :woop:

also just pre-ordered Sea of the Dying Dhow on vinyl, it has a metallic foil sleeve and is on pink vinyl w/ swirl, very keen for that to arrive

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ohms posted:

Haha, thanks guys. We have another show June 7th in Brooklyn. Also our vinyl is being pressed as we speak. We got a test print of it to make sure it sounded as it should and it's so exciting. Same album art, back is changed to show side A and B, blood red translucent vinyl, 180 gram, insert is the same as the credits page in the digital album, and it'll come with a hand made screen printed poster. 250 hand numbered copies.

When is this going to be available? Are you doing pre-orders or no? I've just started collecting vinyl recently and I love Nothing Exists But Atoms And The Void so I want to be sure I can snag a copy before they sell out.

\/\/\/ I am kinda in the same boat, going to the London show by myself on the 1st July

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 27, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ohms posted:

We are hoping for a late June release but it might be early July. We might be doing a preorder and if we do, I'll definitely post about it here.

All right, cool. I follow you guys on Facebook too so I will keep checking everywhere.

I just picked up Valtari on CD and it sounds a LOT better than the rip that was leaked. Again, fantastic album

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Té's discogs entry has one of each of their CDs for sale if physical media is your thing, too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist/cd-album/000000000247357/

Looks like they've got all four here, I've ordered from HMV Japan before and was happy enough with them, so there you go I guess.

e: Found a forum post from their record label and it gives the first three albums' Romanized names as:

- If that is what is being thought, liberated sounds talks the depth of "musical" world
- It is a thought to try to "sing" the realistic sound from the deeply resonated world
- Beyond that, if your soul agrees with your five senses, everything turns into the greatest "music"

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 30, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

http://youtu.be/weZLy-_ncUg

New MONO album trailer :aaaaa:

It sounds fantastic, and kind of like a mix between You Are There and Hymn to the Immortal Wind. God drat I am keen for this.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ohms posted:

Hey guys, preorders of our album are going up today.

This is what our label had to say about it. (I don't want to type it all out)

The LP is pressed on 180 gram translucent blood-red vinyl and comes housed in a sturdy jacket with some of the best cover artwork we’ve seen in a long time. The first pressing is a hand-numbered edition of 250 and includes a full-color insert and a hand-numbered silk-screened poster. Each copy also includes a digital download code for those of you who don’t have a turntable in your car or at work…. you get the idea.

$20 minimum
$5 shipping to US/Canada
$15 shipping everywhere else

You can preorder on our site right now. I'm pretty stoked about this. More professional shots of the whole package are on their way which will include the poster and insert.

:woop: Just ordered this for $25, I would've given more but the $15 postage is killing me. Looking forward to getting this!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Speaking of *shels, is anyone else going to the London show tonight? I am so keen you wouldn't even believe :woop:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah I was very impressed, probably up there with MONO for my favourite live show (MONO is incredible live and are a must see)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I saw Latitudes open for *shels on Sunday night, and I'd never listened to them before. It was OK but I'm not sure it's buy worthy. I will probably check it out when I get home though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

OK holy poo poo I am listening to This Will Destroy You for the first time and I think they have already become my favourite post rock band (sans Jakob). This is the first time I've listened to a band's discography in one sitting and become completely enamored by the whole loving catalogue. I am in a state of disbelief at how perfectly they suit my tastes :unsmith:

\/\/\/ I had never had anyone recommend them until last night and I don't actively search for music all that often (which I obviously need to do more of). I've also just listened to Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells for the first time and really enjoyed it.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 14, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I posted earlier asking for really spacious, ambient post-rock that suited listening to while chilling out or falling asleep - it's worth mentioning that TWDY's Tunnel Blanket is loving perfect for this. I love that the songs aren't in a hurry to get somewhere, there's no obvious build-up and pay-off, just huge, sprawling soundscapes that meander along so pleasantly that you almost lose track of time. Even the heavier tracks have such an ethereal, distant quality to them that it's more like you're being surrounded by the noise rather than confronted by it. Like a blanket, or a tunnel for that matter. :buddy:

Might as well ask again - anything else like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKzfcTa3ZU

Actually, pretty much anything from Jakob's Solace. It's more soundscape-y than their first 2 albums and is similar (if not a little less heavy) than Tunnel Blanket.

edit: listen to this through good headphones or a sound system with good bass, it's mindblowing

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Jakob were actually the first post rock band I was ever exposed to, and it was at a live gig (aww yeah). I saw them open for Tool. in January last year, they opened with Malachite and I was awestruck within about 15 seconds. I went home and ordered all three of their CDs. That is how much I like this band. Also, Solace is the best sounding vinyl I own if you guys are into that sort of thing.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've had Jakob in my library since January, but haven't listen to them yet because I'm a bad person. I'm so happy you lot have gotten me to actually listen to their music.

Trip report: The end segment of Pneumonic is the best thing I've ever heard.

Make sure you have the Dominion EP in your library. It's probably the best way to spend half an hour :3:

Also this isn't *really* post rock, and I'm sure lots of you are familiar with Porcupine Tree, but lots of people don't even seem to realise this exists and is the best way to spend 40 minutes heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWqj5NMwAE

\/\/\/ non existent it seems :(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 15, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

:siren: MONO have realeased a full track from their new album, called Dream Odyssey :siren:

This is incredible, I can't wait :woop:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They had better tour to promote this, I've not seen MONO live but everything I've heard tells me I need to.

They are, and you do. I know they're coming back to Australia in February/March, and there's no way in hell I'm going to miss it. They're easily my favourite live band so far, and I've seen Tool, Muse, Roger Waters, etc.

edit:

MONO posted:

After this tour, we will tour:
Sep/Oct 2012 - North America (7 weeks)
Nov/Dec 2012 - Europe (5 weeks)
Feb 2013 - Southeast Asia, Australia & New Zealand
March 2013 - Europe (4 weeks)
We also hope to hit Mexico and South America after that.

from their facebook page

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 18, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Should probably go ask about PT in the prog thread (or even PM me, I guess), I just thought that Moonloop was a good instrumental rock song that fits better in here than the prog thread v:v:v

I am pretty sure that "BUY" option is just a placeholder, their facebook page is here and they post all their stuff to there I guess.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

It just went up for pre-order on their label's site, white vinyl for the first 500 LP preorders :woop:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Jan posted:

I wonder if I got in early enough. They happened to be put up for sale just as I was looking for my show tickets, and nabbed one right away. It probably was 10 minutes after the announcement? I suppose it takes some time to percolate through social networks but they'd been announcing the preorders for a day before that.

If you still haven't, the white sold out but they're offering clear and grey pressings now, 300 copies of each.

\/\/\/ I am actually kind of frustrated because I'd take clear over white any day, but the white does look nice with the sleeve I guess so v:v:v

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 31, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I got the white version too :haw::fh:

Dream Odyssey is such a quality song, I am so excited for this album.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Went to a local post-rock band's album release party last night, and End of the Ocean was opening up for them. EOTO's new album has a deluxe edition in which it's a CD, but the last inch or so of the disc has grooves so you can play it in a record player :aaa:

Oh man, that is some gimmick. Ordering the hell out of that :allears:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nomapple posted:

I recently got tickets to see GY!BE in London in November, so I figured I should get to know material that isn't LYSF and Yanqui.

Get your hands on the vinyl version of F♯A♯∞ if you can, I think it's much better than the CD version (and so does the band from what I can gather).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Why are people using my avatar :reject:

Also, I didn't find Legend to be as good as Dream Odyssey. I usually prefer loud post-rock songs but for some reason it doesn't quite do it for me as much as their other work. I still think it's a top-notch song, and I am very keen for the record to arrive.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just downloaded / bought Jakob's first releases (Erfo and Jakob) and they are just as good as the rest of their material, would recommend everyone having a listen.

edit: listening some Alcest stuff, I am pretty impressed. I'd listened to a few songs of theirs before but they never really clicked. Guess I just didn't get the right recommendations.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 19, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Lost in Kiev is a new band, just released their first sample song. I'm really digging it, it pulls off the spoken word overlay really well.

God, this is like some awesome combination of Spaces and ISIS. Have they only got this one track?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

My copy of MONO's new album shipped this morning, hopefully it gets here nice and quick.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Went to a local post-rock band's album release party last night, and End of the Ocean was opening up for them. EOTO's new album has a deluxe edition in which it's a CD, but the last inch or so of the disc has grooves so you can play it in a record player :aaa:

Will be giving this a spin shortly, I hope it's good music.

Also, these avatars :psyduck:

e: it is good music

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 22, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I have never listened to Eluvium, I am guessing I should. Where should I start?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for the links, I especially liked New Animals from the Air, very Jónsi & Alex. I will give it all a shot, hopefully I like it as much as you guys do.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I really like Tunnel Blanket, especially Glass Realms and Reprise, but I am a fan of some drone/noise. I don't know if I've encountered any bad post rock bands yet but my least favourite is probably Explosions In The Sky or 65daysofstatic (do they even count?).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

As long as we're doing unpopular opinions, I loving loved Tunnel Blanket but cannot get into their earlier stuff. Maybe I need to listen to it some more but it just sounds... like post-rock. Like, "oh yeah, that's some post-rock."

Bit of a specific one: I really, really like Plains of the Purple Buffalo, but the more I listen to it the more I hate the drums. They sound great, but so much of the album is just the same phrase repeated over and over and loving over and it really drones on once it catches your attention. Bass crash crash bassSNARE crash crash bassbass bassbass bassSNARE crash crash. Or some minor variation of that. I started playing it from the second half onwards just because it annoyed me so much and there's more variety towards the end.

god damnit this post is going to be in my mind next time I listen to it :argh:

Also, I find Young Mountain to be a bit of "safe post-rock". It has some really good stuff (I especially love The World Is Our ___) but on the whole it seems like one of those previously mentioned "try to sound like EitS" things but a little better than most. Their self-titled is incredible though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The only TWDY material that hasn't clicked with me yet is Moving On The Edges Of Things. It wasn't bad but I haven't exactly been compelled to give it another spin. I might do that now, see if it is any better.

e: Holy christ I am a moron, I was playing it at the wrong speed so it was just about the droniest thing I've ever heard, it sounds better played at the *proper* speed, but I still don't like it half as much as their other material.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 28, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

For My Parents arrived this afternoon, but I haven't really had a proper chance to listen to it yet, friend was over and we were studying so I just had it on in the background. I'm on my first proper listen now and it is as good as I expected but I think Dream Odyssey is still my favourite track from it at this point. The white vinyl is gorgeous, it's a shame the corners of the sleeve came a bit dinged up.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I have to admit, I get kind of bored with For My Parents once Dream Odyssey finishes. The last two don't feel much different from the first two, there's only so far swelling and violins can get it I guess. I hope they eventually get back to some loud stuff in the vein of COM(?) and Yearning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I listened to it yesterday too, that opening track especially sure is something.