Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Off topic, but holy gently caress, I saw that Godspeed cat picture a few days ago and laughed and laughed and laughed. Every time I see it, I have the same reaction. Can that be the new post-rock thread avatar? :v:

What picture is this? All I could find on google was RC boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey's avatar, small version of this:

Haha. Nice.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

RIP Nukespoon.

On a lighter note, Balmorhea! Largely acoustic post rock, I've grabbed three of their albums: Balmorhea; All is Wild, All is Silent; and Constellations. All of them are great. It's basically one big exercise in amazing restraint. Also they've got a banjo. I loving love banjos. All of you should check out Balmorhea.

Balmorhea have been in my library for a while, I really love All Is Wild, All Is Silent especially (Settler is incredible). They have a new album out soon, they're previewing some tracks all over the place. One of the members runs their webstore and he is a really cool guy. First CD I ordered from them had a handwritten thank you slipped in the case, and when my vinyl orders went MIA he replaced them free of charge with some extra stuff and another note. :3:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Holy rear end balls. I just ordered it from Constellation and it comes with a 7", holy hell that's exciting.

$37.70 for postage though :wtc:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

So apparently GY!BE are touring Australia for the first time in February. Bought the poo poo out of a ticket :woop: also Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! arrived today and it is a very good album

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Has anyone here heard of The Evpatoria Report? My friend just linked me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7s4-GcCitA

and it's got everything I love about the likes of This Will Destroy You. I haven't listened past this song yet but I think I am going to.

\/\/\/ Oh :( It said 2002-present on Wikipedia, that's a drat shame

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 15, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

SpruceZeus posted:

They're one of my favorite post-rock bands of all time. Nuclear Spoon was right on.

Yeah, I've already listened to their 3 releases and I think they will be right up there with my favourites. Hopefully they come back eventually, there is something special about their stuff.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Awesome to see they're doing Ashes in the Snow too, but I think my ideal setlist from Mono would involve COM(?), The Flames Beyond The Cold Mountain and Yearning.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

God drat the climax in Yearning is amazing.

I love how into it Taka gets, when I saw them there was one stage where his guitar was on the ground and he was just crouched over it going hog wild, was incredible to watch.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

He was doing that during Pure As Snow tonight, too. Dude is loving insane. It's almost like he's got some kind of demon inside of him that he can only get out by inhumanly shredding during live performances. What a goddamn stage presence he has!

Yeah, for real. Dude sits down for 80% of the show and still has more presence than any other musician I've seen live.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

That's why it's hard for me to decide on a favorite post-rock live act. It's between Mono and Caspian for sure, but they're different so I can't really pick one over the other.

I have never even listened to Caspian, that is a thing which I should do

I think the most intense live act I've seen besides Mono was probably *shels. They didn't have much room for moving around (because it was a tiny venue with like 7 band members or something), but you can really tell they're loving what they're playing.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Admittedly, I haven't really listened to *shels. I think I've heard maybe one or 2 of their songs before, if that. So I'll brush up on them if you brush up on your Caspian! :)

Sounds good to me. I'd listen to to Plains of the Buffalo first, their other album took longer to get into for me.

e: god drat, I am loving Ghosts Of The Garden City. The deep rumbling bass and the drumming in this second half is phenomenal

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 16, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I had forgotten about this since hearing about it a while back, but the collaboration between Jeff Boyle / Hamish Walker from Jakob / Kerretta (two of the finest bands to hail from NZ in my opinion), called MEAN, has now released two songs which are streaming here and I really dig the sound.

Also, listening to that Caspian album: it had some really good parts, but for a lot of it I was just kind of sat there wondering how long it had to go so I could listen to other stuff v:geno:v

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I don't listen to Valtari as much anymore, but I am constantly going back to Dauđalogn and the title track. The choir in Dauđalogn is incredible.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

chunkles posted:

Here's a new album coming out in a few days: MEAN - Knowing. It's by the guitarist from Jakob and the drummer from Kerretta. Really digging the sample tracks.

I'm really concerned that they kept extending the cut-off date for the vinyl and now the page says nothing about it. Hopefully it all went well, I really want it :saddowns:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I took my dad to a Mono show and he still regards it as one of the best things he's ever seen. The DVD isn't the best quality but it definitely showcases them at their peak.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Mean got its full release today, and it is brilliant. A bit heavier than most post rock but god drat this will more than do me until the next Jakob album comes out.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

chunkles posted:

Heavier? Like volume heavier? Because I didn't really get that from the album.

Loved it though, everybody go check it out.
It is definitely louder than a lot of post rock. I also got an email from Midium Records saying the LP will ship this week :woop:

e: This Will Destroy You just announced an Australian tour :allears:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 18, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cool to see Dumbsaint on there, they're a local band for me. Also Fade by Cloudkicker is a pretty good album, I ordered it just for the artwork really but the music surprised me:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I got a copy of Caspian's You Are The Conductor yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I think the last time someone told me to listen to Caspian I didn't really like it so maybe that was just a lemon.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I love *shels too, I think the best thing about them is the vocal versatility. Mehdi can do it all live too, the throat singing is so cool live :allears:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just got home from a godspeed concert hhrgrhggh

Jesus christ. That 45 minute song is incredible.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The Hawk Is Howling is the only Mogwai album I love, I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead and Thank You Space Expert are great songs. The only song I don't like from that album is The Sun Smells Too Loud, it's too happy :colbert:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

It's pretty good living in a country where I can attend any concert @ 20 :smug:
I'd have cried if I missed out on MONO and gy!be because I wasn't 21. What a dumb restriction.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Speaking of Sigur Rós,

Sigur Rós posted:

NEW ALBUM KVEIKUR RELEASED WORLDWIDE JUNE 17/18

we are happy to announce that our new album kveikur will be released worldwide on june 17th (18th in north america). the self-produced album contains nine tracks and is our first as a trio. you can now pre-order it at https://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/kveikur (but please note that a pre-order of a kveikur deluxe edition is yet to come).

BRENNISTEINN VIDEO

today we have premiered the video for new track brennisteinn, taken from the new album. the video, directed by andrew huang, is available to watch now on https://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/brennisteinn.

New tour dates too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I am in the same boat, I never really liked *everything* they put out. Agaetis byrjun and Valtari are my favourites, so try Valtari. I also like the odd song off their other albums (Popplagiđ and Samskeyti are the two that come to mind straight away). Dunno about the new release, Brennisteinn is interesting though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

They played The Mighty Rio Grande over the intro for the best picture Oscar nominees one year too (I think it was 2012). I love that song :allears:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

All my favourite concerts have been little post-rock ones without fancy stages or anything. Namely Mono, This Will Destroy You and *shels. I love the big extravagant ones too (I've seen The Wall, Muse, Coldplay, Tool, Rammsteinn, etc) but screens and fire can only do so much for me.

precision posted:

e: What I'm saying is, gently caress seeing any "big" band in TN because you would not believe how many redneck assholes get in free because of college promos or knowing people who work at the venue and poo poo and who have no respect or regard for anything as a result.

One gig I went to (Angus Stone) was only $35 so there were lots of people at the bar who weren't really there for the music. He actually had to tell people to shut up after the second or third song :(

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just realised I left Godspeed off my list. Godspeed were loving awesome.

\/\/\/ I don't think I've ever actually met a professional musician. I should really try staying behind for a while, I would've loved to chat with the guys from This Will Destroy You. I really should've stayed behind for *shels, I (kinda) travelled halfway around the world to see them :arghfist::(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 19, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I've seen Laura live, and don't remember them being 'all that'. I saw sleepmakeswaves open for Karnivool (I think) and they were OK but kind of miss the mark for me.

Why can't I like the local stuff :(

Hopefully Jakob get back over here now that their drummer's recovered.

e: Dumbsaint are pretty decent actually, I've seen these guys too and enjoyed it enough to buy their CD.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Their show in San Francisco is on the last night I'm there, I will go and see them depending on my schedule (I get back from a Yosemite tour that night). What are the odds of the show actually starting at 8pm? I apparently won't get back to my hostel until 9pm so I am not sure if I should get a ticket or not.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They were pretty on time the 5 times I saw them.

Do they do opening acts or anything? Shows here, doors open at like 7pm, opener starts at 7:45, finishes at 8:30, main act starts at 9-9:15

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ok, cool. I might buy a ticket anyway, I can't believe they're only $26 (I paid $74 for their show here).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

The only bands that I can think of off the top of my head isn't reaaallly post-rock but eh, My Disco is kind of angular and mathy. And Eleventh He Reaches London is more drawn out indie-core with some post-rock elements or whatever, I just think that maybe people will like them because I've liked a lot of the stuff posted here and I want to contribute with some lesser known Australian bands. :blush:

Nikko do some post rock-ish sort of stuff too. They have vocals in a lot of their songs and I don't really listen to them enough to know all the track titles and stuff. I think the instrumental stuff they do is OK but it's kinda "safe".

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Tangled Thoughts of Leaving are from Australia, they're pretty good and often mix in very jazzy sounds. I like em.

I saw these guys open for This Will Destroy You. Their keyboardist is... very energetic. They can entertain but their music didn't do anything for me.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

In other news, Sigur Rós new album is going to be the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6E47Pn6mY

Time to pre-order this bad boy :c00lbert:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

https://vimeo.com/64254353

Found this on Facebook yesterday and bookmarked it. Don't remember which Facebook I found it on. Anyway, I'm just getting around to watching it now. It's obviously great because it's Mono playing live and giving an interview.

Check this out if you've never seen them live before, or even if you have. If you haven't, this will help convince you of why you need to.

That was on their official FB page. Speaking of Mono live, here is their Australian and NZ dates:

THUR 20 JUNE Auckland KINGS ARMS
FRI 21 JUNE Wellington BODEGA BAR
SAT 22 JUNE Hobart DARK MOFO Satanalia
SUN 23 JUNE - Melbourne THE HIFI
WED 26 JUNE - Brisbane THE HIFI
THUR 27 JUNE - Sydney THE HIFI

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I don't like Explosions In The Sky :geno:

Listened to the new Sigur Ros and it was pretty ok

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

ANY of their stuff? Or just some and not others?

I like the first half of It's Natural To Be Afraid from All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone, and most of The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but not any of their other stuff

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Valtari is my favourite Sigur Ros album. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Brinner posted:

Thanks to a beautiful Canadian girl I met I was lucky enough to be introduced to EITS and am now sifting through this thread! Just popping in to say thanks for all suggestions, I'm really loving this genre.

And it makes a nice change from Ryan Adams on repeat :ssh:

Keep exploring. Be sure to check out Mono, Jakob and This Will Destroy You. Godspeed You! Black Emperor and This Will Destroy You toured Australia for the first time this year, Mono come every time they tour, EITS come around every now and again. I live in Brisbane and have been to a good number of post rock shows, there's some good local acts too (Laura, sleepmakeswaves, Dumbsaint).