Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Whatever "post rock" means, this sounds like it to me and if anyone can ID the band/song I would appreciate it, tia

(the multimillion dollar house this is an ad for is also pretty cool to look at!)

Organic Modern Estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Saw Mogwai tonight for the 2nd time (the first being in early '09 a few months after The Hawk Is Howling came out). God drat, that was loving great. They sounded way better this time than they did last time. I don't know if it's because the 2 shows were at 2 different venues and this one was better equipped to handle their sound or what, but good lord. I remember reading all these comments like "wear earplugs if you go to a Mogwai show because your eardrums will get blown out" back then and thinking I'd been fed false information after I saw them the first time and the show was loud but not the loudest show I'd ever seen by any means. But after tonight's show, I totally understand what people meant back then. My ears are ringing and I was in the 2nd floor balcony! Their stage setup seemed a lot more elaborate this time around, too.

Remurdered sounds so much god drat better live than it does on the album, holy hell. And they played a bunch of songs from Hardcore Will Never Die that I wanted to hear like White Noise, Mexican Grand Prix, Rano Pano and How To Be A Werewolf, and all those sounded way more intense live than they do on the album too. And they closed with Batcat which absolutely tore the roof off of that motherfucker.

This has been a lot of words, but basically that show was amazing and you should go see them if they come near you and you have the chance to :D

I went to the show in SF on the 18th and I echo everything you say, right down to being in the balcony and needing earplugs anyways. When the bass line in the first song (Heard About You Last Night) kicked in, it felt like a minor earthquake, and that was hardly the loudest song they played.

I'm now addicted to that song. Everything from Rave Tapes was pretty drat good live.

I'm envious that your setlist included White Noise. I hope to hear it and Scotland's Shame live someday. Werewolf was great.

The pre-encore closer was Mogwai Fear Satan and it was amazing. I think maybe the woman sitting next to me had never heard Fear Satan before because the Moment in the middle of the song visibly shocked her. Also, I always thought that Moment is the hardest they're playing the whole time, and it turns out that no, they kick it up a couple notches further 15 or 20 seconds later.

If the tour was coming back to Northern California I would go way out of my way to go again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

chunkles posted:

I wanna hear some post-rock diss tracks.

blur: are shite

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

Had this in my youtube search history, gave it another listen and I really like it. Couldn't find it on Google Music though, might could find it on Spotify.

https://youtu.be/uojRASCjFbA Sunlight Ascending - All the Memories, All at Once

You should click the "show more" thing on youtube more often

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Les Revenants is really good, IMO. I liked Zidane too, but it doesn't work as well as a standalone work. A little too muted and repetitive. That's understandable though, it's music for a biopic.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

thehustler posted:

New Mogwai material on BBC 6Music this Sunday :dance:

Can't wait. I saw their Atomic performance in Berkeley and it was good, but (as expected) quite different from a normal Mogwai concert. I hope to see them again when they do a tour for this new album.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Just adding to the Mogwai chat to say the Zidane soundtrack is on YouTube at the moment and it's awesome. The slow stuff really reminds me of Helicon and Burn Girl Prom Queen and early tracks.

"I Do Have Weapons" is amazing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Giga Gaia posted:

I would not have though of Archive.org as a source for bootleg concerts. Thanks!

There's a ton of Mogwai concerts on there. Live Mogwai best Mogwai.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

I saw Mogwai at the San Francisco show just before Thanksgiving. It was a real good show.

Christmas Steps live is goddamned amazing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My mom's a big classical/piano music fan and she listens to this piano music station on Spotify a lot. One day I caught her listening to Avril 14th by Aphex Twin on there. She had no idea what it was and just thought it was any old song playing on her Spotify station.

I bet if I made her a playlist of softer/more classical sounding post-rock stuff, she'd be into it. Nothing heavy, though.

IMO: point her at Mogwai’s Les revenants soundtrack album. Lots of softer piano and woodwind tracks, beautiful compositions, and by the time it gets slightly heavy it’s almost over.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for this, I am going to have to check out more Caspian now

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

i guess Alex is the fifth guy in the video? also, Martin better be on the next tour they do....

The reason he missed much of the Every Country's Sun tour was illness. Apparently he has a pacemaker and sometimes has health issues related to it. So I'm hopeful he's on the next tour too, but mostly because that'd imply he's enjoying better health.

Cat Myers did an excellent job filling in for him. If he's not able to play in future tours, hopefully they can book her again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Seems Mogwai heard the complaints, they're re-airing the show for a full week starting today at 8PM GMT. Free if you paid for a ticket already, and they are re-opening sales for those who missed the window.

https://store.mogwai.scot/pages/performancefilmfaq

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

that's rad!

i saw Mogwai years ago on the Hawk is Howling tour and made the mistake of standing next to the speakers. even with earplugs, my ears were ringing for several nights afterwards.

Speaking of that era... I recently got around to buying the Special Moves live album and the performances are all amazing, but several from Hawk is Howling really stand out. Best version of I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School I've heard. The bonus tracks finish with Thank You Space Expert into The Precipice, just like the album, and they're amazing recordings. Wish I'd gotten to hear that material live when they were touring that album.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Well worth it to experience Mogwai live, especially if the venue lets them play as loud as they want to play (bring earplugs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

scored a free ticket to mogwai next week :c00lbert: I haven't seen them before but have been led to believe that earplugs are a must?

I went to a 2014 concert at the Regency Ballroom in SF. Sat in the balcony, rather far away from the stage. They opened with Heard About You Last Night, and it made a big impression. That song's intro is just a glockenspiel plus a bass line, and we didn't just hear the bass, we felt it. Vibrated the whole balcony so you could feel it in your feet, and it was doing the same to our chests. It was intense.

And then, as the song brought in more instruments, it got louder. You know how Mogwai loves to do quiet - loud - quiet? or just quiet ramping into loud? They have all those dynamics live, but the scale is loud to HOLYFUCK.

I've been to a few other Mogwai shows and not all were that loud. I'd guess a lot depends on whether the venue's management and sound engineer go along with Mogwai's preferences. But you should definitely go prepared.