Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
BBC Radio 6 did an hour-long retrospective of Mogwai's career, which you can stream here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0520kx9

It's alright. It's not crazily in-depth, but it's pleasant enough and not a bad way to kill a little bit of time. I found the more interesting stuff to be at the beginning. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Just a heads up that Explosions in the Sky are playing a free outdoor show in Toronto on August 10th. I will be there because it is free and its EITS. :circlefap:

I saw them in town when Take Care came out and loved it because hey it's the band I listened to non-stop in college right there on stage and they're playing all the songs I ever dreamed about. However, the rest of the crowd was bored as hell and talking through them so maybe that's how you're supposed to feel at a EITS show.

I'm also seeing GYBE in September. So it's a post-rock summer for me! :rock:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Just came back from seeing GY!BE. :holy:

I was worried they would play a lot of the more boring drone-ambient stuff from the new album - and just in general - but it was basically hit after hit of awesome. An all around great show. They played Moya which is basically my favorite song in the history of ever. Also played East Hastings to end the night and it was a great way to cap things off.

Heard someone outside the venue say "It's the show I waited 14 years to see" and he seemed pretty happy.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I got my Toronto Sigur Ros Pre-Sale Tickets.

It was a digital ordeal. Took time off work to get the tickets. Technical difficulties from the website: waiting in a "queue", slow speeds due to traffic, a loss of secure connection scare or two. In the end I got what amount to nosebleeds at the venue.

What should have taken 20 - 30 minutes took an hour and a half, and the tickets were probably $20 more than what they should actually be.

I am 99.9% certain that it will be completely worth it.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Has anyone here seen God is an Astronaut in concert? I'm thinking of picking up a ticket but I'm a little lukewarm on the latest album. Are they mindblowing enough to justify seeing live?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
It's a post-rock year for me and I couldn't be happier.

God is an Astronaut and Russian Circles in September
Sigur Ros in October
Caspian in November

:vince:

Also, that new Russian Circles song is near-perfect.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I got tickets to see Mono!

:dance:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also I saw Caspian live for the 4th time tonight and holy gently caress, I've said it in this thread before but if you like post-rock and want to go see an energetic live show, go see Caspian :eyepop:

I saw Caspian last November and they were a let down, at least compared to other shows (God is an Astronaut, Russian Circles, etc.) I'd seen that year. To each their own though, maybe they needed to prove something while being sandwiched into that weird metal-group bill.

Got tickets to Mogwai in December. I was going to pick up tix for Do Make Say Think but I'm recently unemployed and have to kind of pick-and-choose what I go see.

MONO and Mogwai this year heeeeck yeeesss :getin:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Jehde posted:

Mogwai's Every Country's Sun is due September 1st. Stuart describes it as "maximalist", hinting at some return of vocals? Playing their first single Coolverine. Definitely some influence from Atomic and Before the Flood, but more of that rock presence. It's good.

I'm digging it. I couldn't get into their "Before the Flood" stuff (felt like wallpaper: it was there, but you don't really notice it), but "Atomic" was great, and this is leaning more towards "Atomic"-style sounds.

Junkenstein posted:

I think this passed the thread by?

Toundra released an album in February with a Flamenco guy under the name Exquirla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxZRSmkrc4

I like it, especially the shift around the 6 minute mark.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Junkenstein posted:

The whole experience was kinda helped by the fact that they were playing with the sun setting over Barcelona behind them, but the new Mogwai album sounds loving great.

They just played it in its entirety, nothing else, and it worked really well as a full set.

UGH that sounds amazing. drat.

I've been unemployed but if this week works out well, I'll be treating myself to Do Make Say Think tix for Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'll be at Mogwai tonight rocking hard. I quite like the new album so I'm going to have a lot of fun. :dance:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Mogwai Show

Crossing the Road Material
Friend of the Night
Party in the Dark
Cody
Rano Pano
Battered at a Scramble
Killing All the Flies
Don't Believe the Fife
I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
Every Country's Sun
Mogwai Fear Satan
Old Poisons

Remurdered
We're No Here

Friend of the Night/Party in the Dark and Remurdered/We're No Here were the highlights for me. It felt like they would build momentum with a hard song, and then kill it with a slower one, alternating back and forth, but it was decent enough. The crowd was kind of bored though - the same issue with EitS when I saw them: four or five people not giving a gently caress and being super loud and laughing and talking and stuff during songs. Ah well, it was still a solid night.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Kids Will Be Skeletons... :shobon:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
This Will Destroy You is playing their first album in it's entirety here in May...might go.

Of course I could just listen to the album but its at a venue I've never been to before and it's not super expensive or anything...so we'll see.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

They're so loving good live. And loud too. Go to this. Do not hesitate.

strap on revenge posted:

they're finishing up a new album too. go see twdy

I caved and got tickets. You absolute monsters.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
God is an Astronaut have a new album out at the end of April, called Epitaph. They've put on one of the prettiest and best post-rock shows I've ever seen, so I am hyped.

Two songs have been released:

Epitaph
Komorebi

Epitaph is a mean, hard song and totally unlike their previous work, which makes me interested to see where the rest of the album goes. Komorebi is ambient and kind of filler-ish. Other than the name - "Komorebi is an untranslatable word, which eloquently captures the effect of sunlight streaming through the leaves of the trees. The shadow created on the ground, or even in our curtains, describes this everyday beauty." - it's kind of samey-same.

Anyways...can't wait to see them again when they come to my little part of the world.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Caspian are supporting Minus the Bear all throughout October, on MtB's farewell tour, so if you like both those bands...GO NUTS

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The new TWDY album is "New Others Part One" and it loving owns. Which means that there's a Part Two and it'll own too. :getin:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

chunkles posted:

Hammock put out a new album and also the Far Cry 5 soundtrack which was pretty good.

I very recently "discovered" Hammock through the FC5 soundtrack, and I'm so glad I did. I've been listening to them non-stop for the past few days and I am in awe. Their latest album is beautiful.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

angrygodofjebus posted:

Is anyone familiar with Wander? They put out a new album last Friday and I am super digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUwv20nJl0E

This is good. Really good. Thanks for the share! :hfive:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

:bisonyes:

That's good news.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Mogwai are releasing their latest soundtrack album for pay-what-you-can on Bandcamp and proceeds will support NHS workers and indie musicians.

I'm mixed on their soundtrack work. The stuff they did for Kin is excellent, Atomic has it's highs and lows, and Les Revenants is very, very meh and inert. Haven't heard this latest one so who knows?

Also, I was supposed to see Caspian at the end of March, and the show they re-scheduled for June was cancelled, which sucks. On Circles is the best thing they've done in a long time, so I've been listening to that pretty much on repeat these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about GYBE in any way. The last three-ish albums had some highlights but really leaned in to the boring ambient drone noise. Not really my thing compared to the earlier albums.