Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thehustler posted:

UK Folk:

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/explosions/

I will be going. Who else will be going?

Check out the lineup! It's awesome and it's nowhere NEAR complete.

Some non-post rock bands on there too who I'm really looking forward to, namely Trail of Dead.

Yeah, I've always wanted to go to an ATP, just because they look like a lot of fun, no matter who's playing, but the EITS line-up looks amazing, so I have to go this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Listening to this now. God, it rocks so loving hard. I'm only on the third track so far, but if it keeps up like this all the way to the end, it'll definitely top The Four Trees for me.

edit: Yeah, it's keeping up. Their best album by far. Also, I just sent them a message on Twitter saying how much I liked it and they wrote back :swoon:

edit2: On "The Raven" now. This is exactly how a post-rock album should be. Goddamn.

Is it available anywhere in Europe for download yet?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I really like Tertia, but the poo poo sound just makes it annoying to listen to.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like the boat.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really enjoyed Russian Circles last night. Do they never play Melee though?

Getting an ATP update on the train home announcing the GYBE Nightmare Before Xmas was nice, as well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Souldark posted:

Tortoise are very relaxing, but Stars of the Lid take the prize for music you can actually lull yourself to sleep with.

E: well, what I remember of them was pretty good, but I do think it was an error placing their slot so late on...

At the EITS ATP, Stars of the Lid were on at about 2am, before Battles. People were sleeping on the floor of the Center stage.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just Grails at the moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Godspeed tour.

Manchester Academy - Tuesday 7th December
Glasgow Barrowlands - Wednesday 8th December
Bristol Ansom Rooms - Sunday 12th December
London Troxy - Monday 13th December

They'll probably sell out before we decide whether we're going to their ATP or not.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New EITS song to download:

http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Saw them at Benicassim festival on Sunday. They REALLY stood out on that bill, but went down great.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've been listening to Pg.lost's In never Out album a lot recently. A great album that seemed to pass this thread by at the time. Love the opening track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_PsBHvJZU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The curly long haired ginger guy isn't in And So I Watch You From Afar any more :(. Always thought of him as the 'front man'. Still one of the funnest, most enjoyable live bands around though.

New Russian Circles is amazing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bagpuss posted:

Yeah, Tony leaving was a bit of a shock to say the least! I saw them in Cardiff last night and they are still as loving awesome as ever thank god.

Yeah, me too. Best band of Swn so far, although that was to be expected.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ill Switch Worse posted:

Any chance you know where to buy a digital copy of the album? I'd love to support the artist, but I've only seen a store with CD and vinyl copies.

According to their Facebook page:

"Today is the day! "Red Forest" is now available on iTunes, Amazon, and just about every other digital site you'd prefer. For you audiophiles, we will be posting a bandcamp page later today. We also have physical copies available here (http://ifthesetreescouldtalk.bigcartel.com/). Represses of the vinyl version will happen very soon as well."

Maybe give it a day? Edit: See above, I guess.

As for pg.lost, I thought their last album was underrated and seemed to pass this thread by, so I'm looking forward to hearing this new one.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Listening to the Pirate Ship Quintet album. Sounds pretty drat good. Thanks post-rock thread for introducing me to them. Hopefully they'll play their hometown again soon and I can take a quick trip across the bridge.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 26, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Free Caspian live album.

http://noisetrade.com/caspian

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They've just been announced for the Shellac ATP too, which I've been on the fence about 'cos of the move back to Camber Sands, but that might just seal the deal. Only managed to catch them once beofre, at the EITS ATP, and that was awesome despite being the first band of the weekend.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Could it be that, in order to get anywhere as a post rock band, you have to have at least a certain amount of musical talent, and gel quite well with each other, so of the bands that get any kind of exposure at all, the worst you can say about them is that they're boring, or completely derivative. I'm sure there are shitloads of really, really terrible EITS rip-offs out there, but I can't say I've ever seen any actual bad post rock bands.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are the Pirate Ship Quintet good live? Thinking of popping along to see them tonight.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm in love with the new Hammock album. I like how they've gone almost full on post-rock but have still kept the same feel and atmosphere as their ambient stuff. It's like they've turned a dial away from ambient and towards post-rock.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Vessels are really good, going to catch them for the third or fourth time in Cardiff tomorrow. It's Leeds tonight and London on Sunday. Do they still have two drummers?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New ASIWYFA song. Don't like it as much as their last album on first listen, although it sounds like it should be fun live, which is what those guys are all about.

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/asiwyfa-like-a-mouse

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any good end-of-year lists now that Silent Ballet is no more?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I feel like crescendo is too vague and usually means the high point after a slow build, not necessarily just a sudden explosion of sound.

Like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSHyF4x4Cw&t=200s

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's certainly made me want to watch the show, it sounds amazing.

From what I understand, Mogwai wrote the music after reading a couple of scripts and the show makers used it for inspiration while filming. Pretty cool.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think my favourite post rock show was Explosions in the Sky back in 2004 or so (when they were selling The Rescue). It was in what used to be a church and they were on early (supporting Four Tet) during the summer, so the setting sun was shining through the stained glass windows and it just made for an amazingly magical atmosphere that still comes to mind when I listen to them.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I was browsing through upcoming gigs in Cardiff the other day and remember thinking 'Jesus, they're still going?' when I saw HIM were playing. Well, turns out I'll be buying a ticket 'cos, somehow, Caspian are supporting them on their European tour.

Caspian Tour posted:

OCT 06 Hamburg, Germany @ Grosse Freheit
OCT 07 Berlin, Germany @ Huxley's Neue Welt
OCT 08 Wiesbaden, Germany @ Schlactoff
OCT 09 Amsterdam, Holland @ Paradiso
OCT 11 Leipzig, Germany @ Haus Auensee
OCT 12 Prague, Czech Republic @ Lucerna
OCT 13 Vienna, Austria @ Gasometer
OCT 15 Milan, Italy @ Alcatraz
OCT 16 Zurich, Switzerland @ Komplex 457
OCT 17 Munich, Germany @ Kesselhaus
OCT 18 Koln, Germany @ E-Werk
OCT 19 Paris, France @ Le Bataclan
OCT 21 Wolverhampton, England @ Civic Hall
OCT 22 Newcastle, England @ O2 Academy
OCT 23 Glasgow, Scotland @ Barrowlands
OCT 24 Manchester, England @ Academy
OCT 26 Nottingham, England @ Rock City
OCT 27 Cardiff, England @ Great Hall
OCT 28 Southampton, England @ Guildhall
OCT 29 Norwich, England @ UEA
OCT 31 London, England @ KOKO
NOV 01 London, England @ KOKO

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

OH. Yeah, I just read HIM's Wiki page:
Guess it's not who I thought :v:

No, it is who you thought.

£24 here. Think I might wait and see how long they get to play for.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Caspian posted:

Dear Friends,

We write to you today with heavy hearts and indescribable sadness to tell you that our bass player, Chris Friedrich, died unexpectedly Sunday afternoon. We have lost a close friend, a true brother, and a presence that can never be replaced in any of our lives. Chris epitomized the heart and soul of Caspian, and in our own ways -- both individually and collectively -- dedicate ourselves to honoring his memory. We ask for privacy. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
We will be paying tribute this Saturday (8/31) to Chris by performing at The Engine Room in Manchester, NH. This is a benefit show for a friend of Chris's who is seeking funding for a lung transplant. Chris was instrumental in putting this show together, and is the only way we know how to honor his memory at this time. You can find more information in our events section for this performance.
We love you all so very much.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So how was Arctangent?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If you're into post-rock at all, you'll enjoy Mogwai live. They've got a lot of material to draw from to make a great set.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I had no idea there was a new Hammock album out. Cool.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How was Arctangent?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

loving incredible. I've been both times and both were stunning. Cleft absolutely stole the show though.

Good stuff. Think I'll have to go to the next one. Clashed badly with End of the Road this year.

Did you see Wicket? Pretty much the only Cardiff post rock band that aren't on permanent hiatus now. I think they have quite a bit of promise.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

"This next song's called Fermat’s Last Theorum, so reviewers who call us math rock are actually right for once" - Right Hand Left Hand

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Last Dawn has definitely leaked. Not sure about the other one.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Toundra worth catching live?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's been four years between every album since The Earth is not.... I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary about this current gap.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are there any artists that play music in the same vein as 65DoS's Tiger Girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

From Fathoms by Gifts from Enola has an ocean theme. I think they've gone out of favour with the thread though.