Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mormonpartyboat posted:

We Lost The Sea's album Departure Songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051C0FiNX5U

Track 3 in particular, but the whole thing is unbelievably beautiful.

This is pretty good, album name is a bit odd though. A few snatches here and there even sound like Hammock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New EITS album announced, with a track. In work, so haven't listened yet.

http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

A lot of it's not post-rock but here's what I submitted in full.

Marriages: Salome
BIG | BRAVE: Au De La
Anna von Hausswolff: The Miraculous
Petrels: Flailing Tomb
Oiseaux-Tempête: ÜTOPIYA?
Daniel Menche & Mamiffer: Crater
Tangled Thoughts of Leaving: Yield to Despair
Chelsea Wolfe: Abyss
Masakichi: Hummingbird
Whore Paint: Ultra Sound
Roz Vitalis: Lavoro D’Amore
The Visit: Through Darkness Into Light
A Swarm Of The Sun: The Rifts
Shy, Low: Hiraeth
Takaakira Goto: Classical Punk And Echoes Under The Beauty
Yucatan: Uwch Gopa'r Mynydd
Halma: Granular
Midas Fall: The Menagerie Inside
Esmerine: Lost Voices
Hawkthonn: Hawkthonn

Just want to say this and the E&D List as a whole gave me shitolads of good stuff to listen to after you originally posted it, so cheers.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Can anyone suggest some things similar to We Lost the Sea's Departure Songs? Definitely my favorite album in recent memory.

Hammock's Departure Songs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How are Yndi Halda live? I've got a ticket tonight for Jeff Rosenstock, but that was before YH was announced. They're playing right across the road from each other though, so I might try half and half.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's growing on me too. At first it felt like they tried something a bit different and missed the mark, but yeah, I'm quite liking it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mono are doing a big Europe/UK tour with Alcest in tow (for the UK leg at least).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

How arethey in a festival setting

They were pretty great at ATP, but that was their festival so

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

EITS live at Glastonbury on iPlayer now, Sigur Ros later. Should be available to watch for a while I think.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, y'all heard this new Alcest yet? A buddy of mine just told me they were coming out with a new album this year, which I didn't even know about. It's goooooooooood.

Supporting Mono, too.

I'm on a four hour bus journey. A good day for Russian Circles and 65dos to release new albums.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

yeah, i am digging this. also gently caress Buttons seems along the same lines and i am really digging them

Vessels.

Edit: early stuff is more towards standard post rock and they move in a more electronic direction as time goes on.

Blanck Mass is half of gently caress Buttons.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 14, 2016

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I have no idea who the support is for the London show I'm going to but it had better loving be pg.lost.

Mainland Europe only.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lift To Experience are kinda post-rocky, right? Fully remastered version of Texas Jerusalem Crossroads is out today. One of my all time favourites.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

First time I saw EITS they were supporting Four Tet.

It was in an ex church in the summer and the sun was going down behind the stained glass windows and it was loving amazing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I always find Mono amazing live, no matter how samey their records get. That co-headline show with Alcest was possibly the best gig I went to last year.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think this passed the thread by?

Toundra released an album in February with a Flamenco guy under the name Exquirla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxZRSmkrc4

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Word on the street is that Mogwai are playing the hidden stage at Primavera tonight. I think you need to get a green token from somewhere.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bacardi stage 8pm. "World premier forthcoming album show". Awesome.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The whole experience was kinda helped by the fact that they were playing with the sun setting over Barcelona behind them, but the new Mogwai album sounds loving great.

They just played it in its entirety, nothing else, and it worked really well as a full set.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SmokinDan posted:

http://themusic.com.au/music/stream...of-breath-only/ 

Stream for sleepmakeswaves' new album which is out tomorrow. 

Only had a couple of listens and really like it so far but some parts do feel a bit by the numbers. Highlights at the moment are The Edge of Everything and Into the Arms of Ghosts. 

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm like halfway through this and it's pretty boring, but the sad part is that it's still more interesting than like 95% of other albums I've heard so far this year.

Not having a go, just found it funny, 'cos I was sure it was indeed discussed in here at release.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A human heart posted:

A big post rock festival is a tough proposition because people tend to fall asleep after the first three bands

Talking of which:

Meh, I dunno. Not nearly as good as previous years yet IMO. Still loads more to come though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Robert Smith is curating the Meltdown series of shows in the Southbank Centre in London this June and it looks like he quite likes his post rock. Saw Lift To Experience there last year and it was fantastic.

quote:

Deftones, The Libertines, Manic Street Preachers, Mogwai, My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Placebo, The Psychedelic Furs, 65daysofstatic, Alcest, The Anchoress, Kristin Hersh, Kathryn Joseph, MONO, and The Notwist.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

God is an Astronaut is one of the few big post rock bands I've barely touched really, even though I loved them when I saw them last year. What's the definitive album?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ofecks posted:

Woa, he's got one of those guitars that's like, double guitars.

What's that blue-light thing he's using on the bass part?

Makes me think... with those repeater pedals and some electronic drums, you could feasibly do something like this by yourself. :aaa:

I mean, play some drums for a minute, repeat them. Get on the bass, repeat it. Repeat a guitar riff. Put another bass layer in. Then another guitar layer. Then some extra cymbals, then more guitar etc. etc. Eventually you'd have this insane cacophony similar to what most post-rock sounds like at full-tilt.

Theo used to (not sure if he's still around) get all the guitar parts up and running then sit down and have a bash on the drums, that was pretty cool.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh poo poo. Appears to be on your streaming service of choice from today as well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New Mono album cover makes for a really good phone background.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of Russian Circles, anyone survive Friday at Arctangent?

It's expanded to be a lot more than 'that post rock festival' now but the post rock this year was still crazy good. Really strong sets by 65 DOS and Caspian in particular I thought, and the surprise ASOIWYFA debut album set was obviously great just because of the mutual love between the band and the Arctangent crowd. DJ Perro were infectiously joyous as well, the Mexican ASOIWYFA in many ways.

Battles still hold up as a two piece; Meshuggah not really my thing (light show was good though).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Was looking at the new additions to Arctangent and looks like Maybeshewill's disbandment didn't last long.

https://twitter.com/Mybshwll/status/1222445450248232960?s=20

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Wasn't that originally broadcast as a live video from a dashcam as they drove around Iceland during summer solstice?

Think it might be on youtube.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I saw that on Facebook this week. It's a soundtrack they did a few years ago........for a restaurant?!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re never supposed to pronounce punctuation

If there's any exemption that proves this rule, it'll be in the world of post rock, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Fake Edit: I've always pronounced !!! as Exclamation Mark Exclamation Mark Exclamation Mark.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I've seen them twice and both times were excessively weird shows. Awesome twinkly post rock is divine but post rock crowds are the laziest sleepiest most low energy crowds in existence. You have like 1,200 people squished shoulder to shoulder in the Starland Ballroom like it's a fuckin' brostep show but no one is moving, no dancing, just a giant mass of people listlessly floating to heavy noise and vibing like a kelp bed at the bottom of the ocean.

Genuinely curious, what kind of whole-crowd dancing would make a post rock show more enjoyable to you?

I totally get what you mean, most shows are just a few hundred people with beards swaying but, like, what's the alternative? poo poo like everybody sit down and jump up at the drop in Fear Satan? Actually, that would be pretty hilarious.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I saw EITS supporting Four Tet in what used to be a church as the sun went down through the stained glass windows. That was pretty special.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mclusky Do Dallas 20th anniversary tour next year, gently caress yeah.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Russian Circles coffee, anyone?

https://heartworkcoffeebar.com/collections/coffee/products/heartwork-x-russian-circles-mexico-oaxaca

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

He's a big post rock fan. When he did the Meltdown festival in the South Bank Centre, he had Mono, 65 DOS, Mogwai, God is and Astronaut, PG Lost, Alcest.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just saw Mogwai under an almost-full moon.

Did a bit of a cry. I've missed this poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It does feel like post-rock bands get more poo poo for being derivative than other genres. Maybe because the genre was all about experimentation at the start and for the vast majority of post-rock bands now, it's very clear who they're imitating.

But gently caress it, I'll enjoy a good EITS clone the same way I'll enjoy a good Motorhead clone.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is it, like, any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

New ASIWAYFA out today. Which I think is a proper album but is also meant to soundtrack a video or something? It's a bit of a departure anyway and also features spoken word bits by Emma Ruth Rundle and him off of Clutch.