Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
http://tidesofman.bandcamp.com/

Instrumental proggy post-rock, every song has its own unique feel. Really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
ISIS' Panopticon was my first (along with stuff from Pelican, I guess that's more on the metal side), then promptly forgot about the genre for a long time until my buddy introduced me to Tides of Man's Young and Courageous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmE8rnHtAiM

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

God is an Astronaut today? :pcgaming:

:getin::getin::getin:

e: I thought it wasn't streaming yet cause I didn't see it on google music immediately; it is there, just not sorted to the top for some reason

e2: vv

yeah the GIAA album is.... disappointing

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aasl1ATcEHA

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Someone linked this to me earlier and it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZHcQEquS8

https://mammothprog.bandcamp.com/

Reminds me of stuff like Chon & Plini with a bit more jazz and electronic influence

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Godspeed You! Black Bean Taco

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've always vocalized it in my head as just "pee gee lost"

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Godspeed You Exclamation Point Black Emperor

Sunn O Parenthesis Parenthesis Parenthesis

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about GYBE in any way. The last three-ish albums had some highlights but really leaned in to the boring ambient drone noise. Not really my thing compared to the earlier albums.

man i feel exactly the opposite. i thought luciferian towers is the most interesting thing they've done and their earliest few bore me to tears

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hell yes

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who is familiar with GY!BE and has listened to most of their albums at least once, I was unbelievably disappointed in their live show I attended in April. I was expecting the video show behind them to be a lot more interesting and for them to at least exude some kind of energy. Everyone, band & crowd included, just looked extremely bored to be there.

It didn't help that the show was listed at 7 and had no opener mentioned anywhere at all, and at 730 out strolls out some dude who quite literally frantically banged his drum set arrhythmically to some ambient drone backing track for almost a god drat hour. It was impressive to watch I guess but it was a lot like what I imagine watching a metal drummer try and play free jazz by himself would look

Disclaimer: I've been to instrumental metal shows aplenty, but this was my very first post-rock show. Perhaps my expectations were set a bit too high.

I drove 2 hours to Orlando to see them and I left halfway through their 3rd song I was so bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I love going to shows but I suppose I discovered that night that at least one of my main draws is feeding off of the energy of the band and my fellow attendees, of which there was absolutely zero. I feel like I could have just watched a video of that same set from home and had an identical experience, which I don't think I could reasonably say about a single other show I've ever been to. But that's okay I guess their live stuff just isn't for me! I don't mean to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of it, if that's your thing go hog wild

I'll have to check out MONO or Caspian when they roll around here and see how different a vibe it is :v:

e: also to be fair if there were seats, or they actually played when the show said they were going to play and didn't waste 90 minutes with mr drum solo, i might have had a different story. i didn't really think about treating it more like an orchestral or symphonic performance as opposed to another "normal" kind of show which is definitely my bad

kumba fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 3, 2022