Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

There's some good stuff on that list, but Jesus Christ that is some of the most god-awful music journalism I've read in a long time.

I was listening to NPR a few days ago, and one of their segue songs was a clip from An Accidental Memory in the case of Death by Eluvium, it blew my mind.

Thirdly, does anyone know anything about the new Mogwai album coming out this year? If it's going to more in the vein of Mr. Beast, I say bring it on.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

New EITS song to download:

http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/

I don't like it very much at all :( I think he picks up somewhat at the end, but the beginning is probably the most embarassing thing I've heard from Explosions.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jadius posted:

I think the new Explosions album is boring and terrible. The only two passable songs on it are the final two, and Postcard From 1952 ended up horribly neutered when pressed to disc (listen to track three here to see how much more emotional and explosive it was live). I very much love Let Me Back In, but at the same time I can't help but think that it sounds like it belongs on How Strange, Innocence. I mean, it almost sounds like if you made a mashup of A Song For Our Fathers and Remember Me As A Time Of Day. If that's what they were going after they should have just named the song "Bookends For An Album Almost No One Cared About".

Oh well. I guess you can't win them all.

Edit: Also, Attn: Munaf Rayani: Your twinkling bell delay pedal, chorus and massive amounts of reverb combo thing is really out of place in about 90% of the music here. It worked great in the past, but it really isn't necessary in EVERY song. It's downright grating and irritating in Let Me Back In by the two minute mark. That song is beautiful because of its restraint, not because you like to hate a full on tonic clonic somewhere around the 21st fret of your Strat. Lighten up and let Mark Smith do his thing from time to time, because if you haven't been paying attention, he does it better than you do.

I just listened to that version of Postcard from 1952, and it's more or less identical the entire way through (I guess with my "intensity" because it's in a live setting). I'm sorry you don't like the new album, but your criticisms are invalid.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Will do! And I'll try the new Mogwai album and Young Team, too.

For my money, once you're done checking out Young Team and Hardcore Will Never Die, try Rock Action (it's one of those albums that has an especially strong second half, especially the version with Japanese Bonus tracks). Like a lot of UK acts, half of Mogwai's best stuff is on one of their 1,000,000 EPs, so if you find yourself scrambling for more, make your next stop "EP+6".

Beware that Mogwai and Explosions really only get paired together if you're looking at modern music from the widest lens... when you really get into the nuts and bolts of it, the two bands have very little in common- Mogwai is a lot looser, more adventurous when it comes to arrangements, and covers a wider array of dyanmics. They are a treasure.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

the Bunt posted:

I like all the Mogwai albums except the new one. I dunno why, it just bores the tits off me.

I also find the new album to be pretty boring (even a slight step down from the hawk is howling, which was also a disappointment). My question for you is: how do you feel about death rays? I think it's the best song they've recorded as far as back as... rock action?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What the goddamn hell is going on. This is amazing news. Tempered a little bit by the fact that most of the album is either familiar material or straight up drones... but holy hell what an amazing surprise, and how exciting to finally have Gamelan properly recorded.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

First and last tracks are amazing, middle two are droning nonsense. It's a Godspeed record alright.

Yeah. I'm as big of a fan of ambient music and drones as anyone, but I feel like I look to GY!BE for something more. Neither the first or last track are really doing much for me. This is the first album of theirs that has left me pretty cold, despite it's resemblance to Allelujah! If I could rest knowing that they might put out another album in the next decade I wouldn't be so bothered by it, but I'm left feeling very underwhelmed by this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've seen GYBE twice now, and just got tickets for the tour, I'm excited. The first show I saw, during the 2012 reunion, was as good as you'd hope (they played Slow Riot straight through, which ruled). The second show was GYBE opening for Nine Inch Nails, and GYBE played a 30 minute set that was all drones, ambient, and noise. I was super annoyed.

I didn't know the new album was coming, so this was such a nice surprise. I definitely like the first two post-hiatus albums more than the second two, but GYBEs album quality exists within such a narrow range of quality that even my least favorite albums are extremely good. It's crazy that they've doubled the length of their discography since reforming. I never would've imagined it in my wildest dreams. Each of the last four album has felt like such a treat.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I thought that already leaked years ago?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I just imagined that this leaked a while ago?

I used to be a big GY!BE completionist, but in my later years I’ve tended to think of that tape as a bit of a red herring and that it’s reputation has far outstripped it’s potential quality. After all, if it was really good the band either would’ve reissued it or folded some of the music into later compositions.

I’d be delighted to be wrong though :)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Some random internet article I just found suggested that it’s just Efrim and no one else. It’s barely even GYBE in that sense. It’d be like finding more Quarrymen recordings- an interesting historical artifact but nothing more.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It reminds me more of a crude version of Set Fire to Flames

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I saw them last night at a wonderful theater in central Mass. I'd seen them twice before, once on the first reunion tour back in 2009-ish, which I don't remember very vividly, and then once opening for NIN and it was incredibly disappointing (they basically played a 30-minute set of drone). The show last night exceeded all expectations. The hope drone is such an incredibly badass way to start a performance. I was hoping to hear Moya or BBF3. Instead, they played the Sad Mafioso. Sad Mafioso/East Hastings is a song that I've long stopped listening to. Even though F#A# (Infinity) was my first love, East Hastings is probably the Godspeed track I listen to least. Their performance of it last night made me fall in love with it all over again though. The recorded version of it feels a little "thin", but in performance it had so much heft to it, and it was just gorgeous. Also, my other takeaway is that Sophie Trudeau has amazing endurance. Every other musician got breaks at one point or another, but she was basically playing nonstop the entire show.

Really lovely show, and if I never see them again I'll be so grateful to have gone to this show.

Do they ever play stuff off of Allelujah or Asunder Sweet? When I've perused the setlists I feel like I see them play a track or two from every other album but those two (and I guess they don't seem to play Yanqui UXO).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BB2K posted:

i feel like asunder sweet is such a nothing album, i couldnt blame them for not playing it live

allelujah is similar, but it had the luster of being the big return

Man, I couldn't feel more different. I'm curious how other people in the thread feel. If I were reviewing their albums they'd each get somewhere between a 95 and 100, so the differences between them are all fairly marginal in my opinion. The four main pieces on those two albums in particular are as good as anything else they've done. In fact, I like Luciferian Towers and Gods Pee less than those two albums (again, only marginally).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Loving Post-Rock is about wishing your favorite bands had more music and lamenting when other bands imitate popular sounds that you like, while simultaneously downloading their discographies “just to make sure”

Woof. Perfectly put.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Something tells me most GYBE fans aren’t big monarchists

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah Yanqui UXO is very good. I’ve always been mystified by the hate it gets. Whereas I’ve always been slightly lukewarm on Luciferian Towers but the consensus on that one is very strong (admittedly the very end is beautiful and perfect)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was just getting into Swans when the allegations about Gira surfaced and so I felt a bit uneasy and stopped listening. Did anything come of that? Google doesn’t seem to indicate he was ever charged.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, Black Emperors! Like the Japanese motorcycle gang!!!

I was just looking at this guy’s rap sheet and he was apparently probed or banned over 100 times since 2019. I didn’t even know that was possible?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 21, 2022

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Finally got a record player after living on this earth for [redacted] years. I have inherited plenty of good stuff over the years, but was excited to make my first purchase F# A# Infinity before I remembered that it doesn't include Providence :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Man. I’ve been sleeping on The For Carnation for all these years? This is really scratching the Slint itch. Where should I hop to from here?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks, I know *of* Papa M from that Slint documentary but haven’t listened. And yeah Pajo has an interestingly diverse output. His 2005 album has songs that sound like dead ringers of Elliott Smith and Simon and Garfunkel

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Oh yeah? Does Yanqui differ in some way too? I’ll go to bat for that album (or any of their albums) any day.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's a second new EITS single out today. I'm really bummed that All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone seems to be the last stop on that band's discog for me :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah that song in particular is pretty great. The interval between those albums is when my brain’s appreciation for music began its gradual process of ossifying (22, 23 years old maybe) and Take Care fell just on the other side of that threshold.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’ve been really disappointed in their output from Take Care on, but the new song Moving On is hitting really hard on a day that’s perfect for EITS

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes but also earplugs are a must at basically every show imo :corsair:

Edit: I got to see them on the Mr. Beast tour and I wore earplugs the whole time but took them out for Glasgow Megasnake for “the experience”. Also I got to talk with them after the show and literally all they wanted to talk about was how they were trying Philly cheesesteaks at every stop on the tour and how much they were enjoying it.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 12, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think My Bloody Valentine was louder when I saw them in 2008, but Mogwai wasn't far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

err posted:

GYBE played a few long new tracks at their NY show. New album in September apparently.

I don’t think the new album rumor is true. Constellation seemed to say no new album from them this year.