Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Has anybody started listening to Alcest's new release "Souvenir's d'un autre Monde" ?

http://myspace.com/alcestmusic

It originally started out as a French black metal band but it has somehow evolved into something more shoegaze like with this release. I like it a lot - reminds me somewhat of God is an Astronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Has anyone seen the artwork for the new This Will Destroy You album?

loving yes.

windwaker posted:

Are you being facetious? It looks like the cover of some lovely metal album. :(

How can you not see the tongue and cheek nature of that LP cover? How is that possible? I want you to explain it to me - seriously.

windwaker posted:

The only post-rock I really listen to is EitS, El Ten Eleven, and some TWDY. I tried listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞ (that's pasted from wikipedia), and I really didn't enjoy the random sound effects and places where there's no music. Is any of their other stuff better?

windwaker posted:

I have actually never listened to Mono (maybe for five minutes, that is), but is this DVD a good introduction to them? I love music documentaries.

I mean seriously...why are you here?

Aside from that - I am still rocking out on Alcest and I think you should too http://www.myspace.com/alcestmusic - the EP is out now.

If you are in the Boston area - Constants, Caspian and Seneca are playing the Mid. East upstairs on the 30th. Should be stellar as always.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Alcest's older stuff is definitely more toward straight-up black metal. I have Le Secret and while you can kind of hear the sound that eventually fully arose on Souvenirs, there isn't a whole lot of similarity aside from the soft vocals on the first track.

I'll probably skip it then since I've never gotten into that genre of metal and also because Niege claimed he never listened to any shoegazey or post-rock bands before Souvenirs - which I find laughable but hey, he's a free spirit.

windwaker posted:

Please stop trying to create a post-rock thread circle jerk and get out if you have nothing to contribute. :rolleyes:

What do you contribute ever? I rarely post in this thread or in NMD and I can see that you really have no interest in this music and that every one of your posts is useless. Seriously, you are fake. If you want to post around and have friends here that's cool and I'm sorry if I am coming off as a huge dick especially since I'm not a staple poster in NMD but you contribute nothing anywhere ever. You are a locust just feeding off other people's interests.

edit:
I also forgot but http://www.myspace.com/theINFORMATI theInformati (horrible name I know) are playing at the Middle East upstairs tonight (the 23rd). If you're bored around the holidays like me it's something to do.

Big Wreck fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 24, 2007

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

HamsterHuey posted:

Sometime next early year. There's either no exact date set or I simply can't find it, but the pre-order notices say that the CD won't ship for "at least 4 weeks" and the LP is at least 8.

The TWDY album has leaked and it sounds pretty good. They've moved away from the EITS sound game but it's not a complete departure from what they were. While the first song has significant electronic elements I've noticed that as the album progresses the album as a whole gets mellower and the glitchy drums are replaced by an acoustic set until midway through "They move on tracks of never-ending light".. It also seems like they might actually be using a bow for some of the longer reverb swells.

The song "The Mighty Rio Grande" reminds me way too much of Caspian though.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Went to see "There Will be Blood Today" and the trailer for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" had EITS' Your Hand in Mine as its background music. Maybe one day EITS will exist just to score movies.

Zoot Horn Rollo posted:

Oceansize always remind me of Aerogramme, but just nowhere near as good.

Came across some don't mess with texas and to be a high powered executive today. I enjoyed both bands.

I really cannot get enough Aereogramme. I will always regret never getting the chance to see them live.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ah that's fantastic.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

windwaker posted:

Just think of the misconceptions people will have about your personality/what that actually is. :(

Maybe you can buy one and make a purse out of it to carry your post-wallet in.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Lasek posted:

Wow, complete opposite here. Oceansize are the best sound I've heard and Aerogramme felt like a really cheap imitation. What's the best Aerogramme record?

All of them are different but it's a tie for me with A Story in White and Sleep and Release. They also did a great fishtank split with Isis that I recommend.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Battles are pretty cool and they put on a hell of a live show but I can't help but think that that the 'Mirrored' sound they have now will probably get stale in a few years. I'm really curious as to what new tangents they'll try and explore.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Hmmm, that is an insightful observation windwaker especially considering that the album's 'being' or 'existence' only breathes in loops and repeating patterns within said box. It exists as a constant loop of thought and life which strikes me as being a similar idea that Douglas Hofstadter has used in several of his books when he tries to argue that patterns, loops and recursion are the constructs of our consciousness.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

actually now that i think about it post-rock is kind of gay and bland so idk

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I like the TWDY cover but I'd really love a t-shirt of just this:

I don't know what else it could use. It's art.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Not really post-rock but I've been enjoying this at work.

Kinda Jesus/Mary Chain - Echo/Bunnyman...sorta

http://www.myspace.com/aarktica

http://www.aarktica.net/

I guess it's just the mood I've been in listening Eluvium and Hammock lately (http://www.myspace.com/hammockmusic)

Big Wreck fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 15, 2008

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Most venues sell earplugs at the bar if you don't have a nicer pair.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Arise meager thread

North is on tour - I'll probably see them in Allston
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=24002587

I think somebody in NMD mentioned being in the band - maybe they could dual headline with Tokyo Police Club and alienate both sets of fans.

Boston:
Caspian at the Paradise Jun 21st, Grails and then Russian Circles next Friday and Saturday

Boris/Torche in July

The new Sigur Ros isn't ethereal like their past work.

Torche is on tour if you like stoner/sludge metal.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

JaWs posted:

Woah wait what, Caspian is at the Paradise on the 21st? Are there still tickets? Holy crap. I loving love Caspian. I am going to try to be there.

Also, I am currently listening to North and may have to come see them as well.

Big Wreck, I think I may love you.

Edit: Yes, tickets are still available. Checking out the other bands right now. I will probably be there. Also, North is all right, but I'm not digging the screaming. If there was none of that I'd be totally down with it. Doesn't really matter anyways because I just realized that I will be back at school in NY when they come to Boston.

Caspian will be at the Paradise the 21st of June, in Beverly July 25th (a bit north of Boston) and will play with Yndi Halda Aug 21st at TT The Bear's (Cambridge) and will then gently caress off to Europe for a while.

North is :cool: though

Sigur Ros will be playing in Boston in September as will Mogwai.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Taxpayer put on a stellar cover of "We are the champions" in honor of the Celtics. It was eerie how much the singer sounded like Freddie Mercury.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Pontiak was pretty cool - I am wearing the t-shirt I bought right now. They're not a post-rock band though (are Grails?) but I like slide guitar so... http://www.myspace.com/pontiak

JaWs posted:

I will be seeing Russian Circles tonight at The Middle East Upstairs. I'm going to be skipping both openers because I do not like Daughters at all and neither do any of my friends who will be with me.

Yeah, ditto...

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

albro posted:

Geez, think you could bold more band names? This is all I could see from this entire post.

Shut the gently caress up

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Russian Circles was too short and I almost kicked the crap out of some kid in a red hoodie. Caspian is not playing in Boston in July but a bit north in Beverly...

As far as post-rock stuff goes Gifts from Enola is on tour http://www.myspace.com/giftsfromenola

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Agreed. Bolding band names in that fashion is ridiculous and useless.

Forgive me if your post was tongue and cheek but this thread was quite dead for sometime and it would be better to foster more attention towards the upcoming summer tour season and any new bands rather than what you're doing now.

This appears to be the first time you've posted in this thread and I think it would benefit everybody more if you could possibly post more about this nebulous form of music unfortunately labeled 'post-rock' instead of pointing out trivial nuances of someone's writing style. Let's try to make this less pretentious for a change.

So wat u listin' to?

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Sup Windwaker? I thought you had moved onto other music genre discussions that you were incapable of contributing to.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

If you can find it, their debut album The End of the Beginning is incredible. It just hooks you from start to finish. Anyone who is into God is an Astronaut really needs to check this album out, as most people I've talked to only really know them for All is Violent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uevKxa6sjFA <-- First track.

They're visual show is really great too if you can ever see them live.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

JaWs posted:

Saw Caspian again at their show in Beverly. They played well, but I did not enjoy the show nearly as much as I did the first time I saw them. They just seemed way more energetic the first time around. That and the sound was not all that great at the Beverly American Legion. Oh well. It looks like I won't be seeing another show until Mogwai on Sept. 19th in Philadelphia.

That show was weird - check them out with Yndi Halda at TT's in August and you won't be disappointed. The guys from Caspian are really pumped for that gig.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

That's not post-rock.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Sure :)

Every thing off m83's Saturdays = Youth is great night/early morning driving music as well.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Well then I'll have to listen to that album again. I've only listened to it once, and I didn't really like what I heard, but it's probably safe to say that I wasn't giving it enough of a chance.

If I make another rain/night driving/whatever kind of mix, I'm definitley throwing some Mogwai on there. I don't know why I forgot to put them on that first one, but they've got a bunch of songs I love that sound like they'd be perfect for moods like that (I Know You Are But What Am I?, Acid Food, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, Stop Coming To My House, Christmas Steps, etc.)

Well, We Own the Sky and Kim and Jessie are the easy standout tracks but I don't recall the album being too hard to get into so maybe it's just not for you.

I'm debating seeing North tonight. They're playing second on a five band bill and I'm really only interested in seeing them...

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

And go see North! I've never seen them live and they aren't coming anywhere near me, but they've got a really awesome sound and I'd imagine that seeing them live would be a pretty awesome experience.

I had to leave before North last night but I did get to see Rosetta who are pretty drat awesome.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

So it seems newer shoegaze consists of a bunch of bands I normally would not consider a part of the genre. Can anybody recommend more along the lines of these two bands?

http://www.myspace.com/sunnydayinglasgow

scribble mural comic journal is a great album

Also, Doi's Sing The Boy Electric

http://www.myspace.com/doimusic

Any recommendations?

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

Since when does anyone think shoegaze when they hear Doi?

Honestly, I found Doi looking for new 'shoegaze' bands though it seems hardly related.

Speaking of nongaze bands remember that 90's hit "Steal my Sunshine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCRPrEAVxU

Apparently that band, Len, started off with shoegazer influences. This is the only video evidence I could find but apparently their first record was hugely influenced by MBV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgq_BLTdBs

Go figure.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

yo im going with this girl on friday to see sigur ros, i listned to a couple tracks i guess they were hot but like what is acceptable behavior at this type of show? can i talk? shall we drink wine? I dunno i dont wanna be rude and blow my chances with this girl but it seems a show like this would be boring as gently caress. please advise

Don't worry man - they're like a ska band but with a lot of reverb. It's right up your alley

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

dude i live right near you so if you want to stop loving around and act like a man then step up. dont bring this poo poo on the forums its mad childish.

Stop frontin turtle fan - Sigur is the mad poo poo they build up and up and have incomprehensible lyrics like Cedric from the Volta.

Best settle and save up some dough so you can treat your skank to a 9 dollar beer at the pavilion. Stay gully

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

poo poo, the phoenix is swank

you gon get laiiiid

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

AprilONeilsTits posted:

im going monday in boston like i said above could you help me out on how to act once there like do people talk during these kind of shows or what

I thought you said you were seeing Sigur Ros? They're playing Friday.

Mogwai is playing on Monday...are you seeing them instead?

If you're seeing Sigur Ros it will be at the Pavilion so get beers/drinks before the show. Bring a sweatshirt too since it's right next to the harbor and will get cold. Sigur can be very loud and quiet and I'm sure people will get pissy if you talk during the quiet parts. There's a little promenade/picnic area near the concessions where you can chill, talk and try to fingerbang your date.

Mogwai will be at the Wilbur theater which I have not been to but I do know it is a seated theater, which sucks. Mogwai is loud so bring earplugs. Just stand still the entire show.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

citizenlowell posted:

I'm with you. There's a track or two I enjoy, but if the band were to cease to be I wouldn't care or notice.

Somebody's not getting invited to the Mighty Rio Grande

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I only admit to liking obscure bands.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Jan posted:

They're apparently touring with the orchestra, but only have one date announced in America at the moment, in New York... This may be my excuse to take my first ever trip to NYC. :3:

I believe they're set on only playing that one show in the US. The show is a big deal though - it's the celebration of their 10th year or something.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

And if you like Russian Circles check out Adai and North.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

GrimFailz posted:

I also really like (recently what I've been into): Joy Wants Eternity, Red Sparowes (At the Soundless Dawn), Mono, This Will Destroy You (Young Mountain), and Explosions in the Sky.

If you can pull it off I'd definitely try and see Joy Wants Eternity live - they have a great visual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone here seen Explosions in the Sky or Tortoise live? They're both coming to LA and my budget's kind of limited so I'm wondering which one I should go see or even if I should just bite the bullet and see them both.

EITS is a more exciting show - granted, neither band moves much when playing live.