Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ddonahue99 posted:

I love GYBE but I rarely listen to F#A#. I think it's a brilliant album, but for I guess I don't listen to it as much because it has a lot more ambient parts and samples than the others. You really, really need to give them a chance. It took me a long time to finally listen to and appreciate Lift Your Skinny Fists..., but goddamn, I wish I had sooner. I don't think you can be a fan of post-rock and not like them, since most post-rock bands are derivative of what they did, and nobody who tries to emulate them surpasses them.

Listen to Yanqui U.X.O., then the Slow Riot EP, then Skinny Fists, and by then you will come to appreciate F#A#.

There is no better epic driving music than Yanqui U.X.O.

Some of their live tracks makes their album work absolutely pale in comparison. Albanian and Blaise Bailey pt. 2 in particular. If you want energy, look for their live tracks. I believe they were on Archive.org at some point.

I don't necessarily agree with your album order, either. It seems as though you're preparing the listener to be able to tolerate the samples when they could simply listen to the albums/tracks without it. People don't have to enjoy all of their discography. All of their work isn't for everyone. I of course realize all of this is subjective but I don't think Godspeed should be some rite of passage where every listener must listen to each album and subsequently enjoy it. There are too many works now to have people wait and re-listen to albums trying to find some hidden magic that they might as well pretend to understand.

And about F#A#∞, I believe that listeners must listen to this on vinyl if they are to truly appreciate the work. I hope i'm not coming off as a vinyl snob, but the concept of the album itself is for it to repeat those two notes at the end of the record for as long as the record spins. I think without knowing the story behind the album with the train tracks by the studio and the flattened penny, one can not truly appreciate it for what it is.

Hope I didn't piss anyone off, it is just music after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

SteelWav posted:

I tried to search for the story with the train tracks but didn't find anything besides what you said.

As for this album, I like it very much, but to me it's far less consistent and wanders around aimlessly much more than their later stuff.
The train picture on the cover of the album is one of three different pictures taken by the members of the band. F#A# is their first recording as a large band and it was recorded at Hotel2Tango. The penny was flattened by the tracks that run nearby. The thing I love about the record was all of the extra effort put into the package by the actual members, like Efrim's drawing of "faulty schematics for ruined machine". I think it gives the album a very personal presentation which works very well if one considers that it was their first record and the inconsistency is a result of the fact that they are (to my knowledge) creating an entirely new sound. Perhaps I am giving them too much credit, so if anyone knows of any records like F#A# before 1995 let me know.