Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
Has anyone heard of If That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks The Depth Of "Musical" World. by te'?

They're a pretty rocking post-rock band from Japan. They have a different sound from mono though, in case you're wondering. It's more of a God is an Astronaut meets Mogwai meets Slint kinda sound.

A review from smother.net:

quote:

A shoegazing instrumental band that has more pop hooks than say Explosions In the Sky but is just as much a complex firebrand. Raw emotions leak out of each song as if it’s an opus praising the gods. Japanese instrumental rockers Te have more in common with the likes of Slint than you’d think with their drifting guitar overtures and massive percussion sound. Find a way to grab a hold of this band, you won’t regret it.

here is their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/tejapanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004

Lord of Sword posted:

Té are one of my favourite bands, I've got all their albums/EPs and their live DVD, which is well worth getting if you're into their music. Kotoba... and Sore wa... are my favourite releases, just because they're a lot more consistent than the first album, but also have more variety. Some of their videos are also up on youtube, most linked to each other in the related videos box:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cbA5xxq5w

So I managed to track down Sore wa.. and listened to it, and it's so much better than Liberated Sound. I agree with what you said about it being more consistent. The drums are definitely key to the band's unique sound. However I can't seem to find Kotoba, is it an EP?

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
There's a lot bands to recommend, seeing that you have a huge list. Maybe you can try post-rock from regions like Asia or something?

Te' (japanase math rock band, recommended in this thread before)
toe (japanese math rock, very melodic)
Envy (more to screamo, but has it moments)
Miaou (pretty soothing post-rock, mathy at times)
wangwen (chinese band)
Maybeshewill (uk post-rock band, slightly similar to 65dos)
Carefully (jazzy post-rock band from Texas)
EF (has released two solid albums)
The Evpatoria Report (swiss post-rock band with strings, a little GY!BE vibe)
Followed by Ghosts (their album 'the entire city was silent' has some good moments)
Eaten By Tigers (has a bit of vocals)
Jakob (NZ band, has some influential stuff)
The Mercury Program (groovy post-rock, listen to their EP All the Suits Began to Fall Off)
The Samuel Jackson Five (can't be recommended enough)
and so I watch you from afar - scottish post-rock, full of energetic bursts
Beware of Safety - three guitars + drums, really good stuff
As the Poets Affirm - I really like their song, 'Rocket Through'

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004

gtOK posted:

(Plus, I'm in their tour DVD :unsmith: )

screenshot plz :smith:

Beleg
Oct 21, 2004
NEW MONO ALBUM ANNOUNCED

Just found this on Mono's myspace.

March 04 2009
HYMN TO THE IMMORTAL WIND

http://www.mono-jpn.com/hymn_flash/index.html
http://www.mono-jpn.com/sound/Ashes.mp3 --new track "Ashes in the Snow"

quote:

Just in time for their 10-year anniversary, MONO return with their fifth studio album, the absolutely massive Hymn To The Immortal Wind.

After touring almost non-stop for five years, the band hibernated for over a year to focus solely on writing Hymn. The result is their most thoughtful and eclectic album to date. Written and arranged with a hopeful, romantic narrative in mind, the songs string together like chapters in an epic love story. The music is naturally majestic, with MONO’s trademark wall of noise crashing beautifully against the largest chamber orchestra the band has ever enlisted. The instrumentation is vast, incorporating strings, flutes, organ, piano, glockenspiel and tympani into their standard face-melting set-up.

Recorded to analog tape with long-time friend and producer Steve Albini, there is an intimacy captured here that is at once beautiful and a little terrifying. The creaking of old wooden chairs as the orchestra rocks in their seats (both literally and figuratively), puckered lips rolling along flutes, and even the conductor’s opening cue can be heard during the hauntingly quiet opening moments

While Hymn continues to mine the cinematic drama inherent in all of MONO's music, the dynamic shifts now come more from dark-to-light instead of quiet-to-loud. The maturity to balance these elements so masterfully has become MONO’s strongest virtue.

Jeremy deVine _Temporary Residence Limited

I know this was a long time coming, but they've finally announced their album release! I went to their last show in KL. It was a small, cold and dark room with a couple hundred or so of us and it was truly one of the best gigs in my life. They played two new songs, one of which I think was Ashes in the Snow, which really is the most intense song I've ever heard from them. They're one of the bands that you absolutely have to hear live to fully appreciate the breadth of their music.

Beleg fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 2, 2009