Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I will probably order that LP as soon as it I am physically able to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Indeed, and "Mogwai Fear Satan" and "Like Herod" are often included in the live set (sometimes both). "Mogwai Fear Satan" live is something everyone should experience.

Some of the latter material like "Glasgow Mega Snake" destroys live.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How is This Will Destroy You live? They're playing here later this month, and while I love that self-title LP I haven't heard the new stuff.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Any Mogwai is good Mogwai for me. I even like the mostly ambient quiet stuff on the Zidane soundtrack. Atomic is pretty much a soundtrack right? I'm not terribly surprised they didn't record "Mogwai STILL Fear Satan", and besides new album hopefully means tour and hot drat do I enjoy that live show.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 11, 2016

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Jehde posted:

Mogwai doing a show this weekend for their new album coming next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgwluOVXcA

You need to buy a ticket for an online stream of a video, but I've enjoyed any of these sort of shows I've bothered with so far this pandemic, and it's Mogwai, and I've enjoyed the couple singles they've put out so far, so I'll probably attend.

I will probably do this, even though I'm likely going to be slightly disappointed they will probably just play the new record and not drop in some bonus "Mogwai Fear Satan" or even a "Rats of the Capital" or "Batcat."

I enjoy Mogwai.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Major Ryan posted:

I've never even heard of Slint. Listening now, and teenage me would have been all over that if I'd have known about them in the nineties.

It's obviously different to EITS and GYBE but yeah, I get it. I mean, I really like it whatever you call it.

The new Mogwai album - whoever said perfectly acceptable Mogwai was right. I accept it into the Mogwai fold; it is neither their best nor worst offering.

So if you had to pick number one WORST Mogwai offering, what would it be?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

The Hawk is Howling is easily their worst proper album imo

It feels kind of bloated and uninspired, especially coming after the amazing Mr. Beast

That might be the one I listen to the least, although "Batcat" was a pretty good single and "Scotland's Shame" was a scorcher if I remember.

I found Every Country's Sun to be sort of middling after Rave Tapes but it is what it is.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Come on Die Young is probably the GOAT for me, but the run of Rock Action through Mr. Beast is just solid all the way through.

Their albums might be hit or miss from release to release after that, but I will always see them live when possible.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Another new Mono track, which I dig quite a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRi1gjWk0fc

They're also going on a North American tour next year but not coming here :negative:

Houston gets the shaft ... AGAIN.

I really miss getting my face melted. Please act right world so I can see guitars tear holes in the wall of creation again.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I’ll cop to it finally, Mogwai just does absolutely nothing for me at all. Post-rock is arguably the defining musical genre of my life and the most formative sound to my adult identity, I’ve tried a dozen times. Every time I give them a shot I just look up from my desk like 50 minutes later and can’t remember a goddamn thing about a single note that was played. Maybe my brain is just too full of other bands or something but yeah I just don’t vibe with Mogwai whatsoever.

I could totally get the albums not vibing. but even the live stuff does nothing for you? I am a shameless fanboi though, and even for me some albums hit harder than others.

Jehde posted:

Previously I lamented about how I want to keep a complete Mogwai collection, thinking I needed to get Every Country's Sun on vinyl to go along with my Central Belters box set to do so.

This is difficult. I still need CODY, YT, and Happy Songs ... plus Ten Rapid to round out the studio stuff. :( That doesn't even include some other satellite soundtrack stuff (I only have Atomic).

I thought I saw a blurb about CODY getting a vinyl re-release. Absolutely into that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I tend to tap out on EITS at All of a Sudden I miss Everyone, but I will rot on the Mogwai discography for days on end without problems.

I'd never turn down a EITS live show. For a band that came out of Texas, they sure as gently caress hate Houston though. If and when they tour, they are fond of skipping us. Glad I got to see them here in super small rooms in the early aughts.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Got an email from Explosions in the Sky announcing "The End tour". I hope this doesn't mean they're breaking up :smith: Also, they aren't coming here on that tour. poo poo.

It's an outdoor show in Houston. Come sweat with us on the lawn.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm seeing them TONIGHT. I'm tempted to check it out now, but I don't want to risk my silly rear end superstition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Jealous of anyone who gets to go to this. If they don't add a date here, I might have to try to go to that Houston show.

Houston show is on my birthday! I'm not super familiar with either of those bands. Where should I start?