Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
How has there been a new Russian Circles album out for a month and a half without me knowing about it? What the hell do we have an emergency broadcast system for if not this EXACT situation!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

New Kerretta. Listening to Onyxia right now, it's pretty awesome. I think you can actually stream the whole thing from their website, so there's no reason not to give it a listen.

edit: If you only listen to one, listen to A Ways to Uprise. Excellent.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 17, 2012

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Red Forest is out today. Really digging the latter half of the album.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Ill Switch Worse posted:

Any chance you know where to buy a digital copy of the album? I'd love to support the artist, but I've only seen a store with CD and vinyl copies.

Their press release is here (http://www.facebook.com/treescouldtalk). Says Amazon and iTunes. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Forest/dp/B007IKVFMM.

Really liking the teasers from the pg.lost album.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 21, 2012

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The more I listen to Red Forest, the more I like it. I'm pretty sure MORE GUITARS is a winning formula for post-rock bands

chunkles fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2012

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Chunkey, someone should start a band that's just ten guitarists and a drummer.

Tone. I think their latest album has 5 guitars, 1 bass, and two drummers.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I've been listening to Latitudes since somebody posted it in here (thanks guy). I found both Agonist and Individuation pretty enjoyable.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I just "discovered" Khuda on my hard drive. I had their first album, Stratospherics, and it turns out they've released two more since then, Iecava and Palingenesia both of which I think are great. I also think it's neat that they only have two members, the only other group like that I'm aware of are Collapse Under the Empire. Speaking of those guys I apparently missed their 2011 release so I'm gonna go check that out now.

Awesome thanks for posting it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I honestly can't think of anything that is out and out bad. There were some sections on Gifts from Enola's latest album that were pretty bad, in my opinion. A lot of people really hate Pelican's drummer (like to the point where they refuse to listen to it) although he doesn't bother me.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Apparently there's a new Sleeping People album, Notruf. Totally out of the blue, too, I only found it because it was linked on a page for the new Mono album.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Indonesian post-rock? Yes please.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

This is really good and their album seems to be free on their website.

Excellent catch sir. I have really been enjoying this for the last two days.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

MisterFuzzles posted:

Well, this thread has given me quite a lot of stuff to check out so thank you.

Hope I'm not just reposting stuff but I came across Marriages somewhere in my Youtube travels. Side project of some Red Sparowes members. Put out an EP in May.

I like it, but I like a lot of things so that is not saying much. Probably my favorite 2 tracks

Ten Tiny Fingers
Body of Shade

Good catch, I don't think that was posted here. I hated it on the first listen but I went back and I'm warming up to it. I really like Ten Tiny Fingers.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I can't believe I put off that Toundra album for two days. Go listen to it immediately.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 12, 2012

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That's really awesome, and it's free, just name a price of $0. I'm really digging the piano riffs in Geranium.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

E/N Time: I really wish I lived in a place where I could be bored of seeing Mono and pop over to a Pirate Ship Quintet show.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Have we talked about Leech in here yet? I've been listening to these guys non-stop for a month. They did have a new album earlier this year and I didn't see it discussed.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Glad you guys like Leech :) Apparently they've been active since 1995, seems like every other week I stumble onto a band thats been putting out stuff for a decade or more and I have no idea they existed.

I was clicking around in this forum and found Jambinai in the Korean rock thread (thanks to whoever posted it there). Great music, and it incorporates traditional Korean instruments.

Also, you may die in the desert put a new album out earlier this month. Eh.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

the Bunt posted:

I'm actually quite disappointed with Waking Season. I never listened to Caspian but I checked this album out after all the buzz in here and...it's ok. To me, it's pretty much the most stock generic "post rock songs" sound. Maybe a few more listens will open things up more for me but it's just serviceable yet very unambitious postrock to me.

I'm on my second listen now and really enjoying it a lot more. Crank the volume up and try it again.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Also we've got way too long without new content. Have some Danish post-rock. I loving love long form post rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSZUoZbSgE

edit: I'm for sure going to San Francisco and possibly also Phoenix. I am excited beyond reason.

I love all of Seven Mile Journey's stuff. Here's one of their newer songs

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Do they album leaf count as post rock? I'm really enjoying them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fegio5Z5AA0

Sounds pretty good to me man :)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I managed to miss Tides from Nebulas latest album Earthshine. They also put up a single track from their latest tour for free, "Hollow Lights". Not super complex but I like it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Oh hell no I am not getting sucked in today guys, I have poo poo to do.

I did listen to the new Gifts from Enola album and wow they went downhill really fast.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Not that they had far to fall. They had a couple alright tracks but it's some of the least nuanced post-rock I've ever heard, and completely fails at building a soundscape or a good texture. I didn't pick up the latest, but what would you say went wrong with it?

Oh man I am the wrong guy to articulate things about music. I just really hate it along with their last album. No interesting instrumentation, lots of screaming/whispered lyrics that don't really add anything. You can stream it for free on their website (it's on the bottom) Gifts from Enola

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Here's a new album coming out in a few days: MEAN - Knowing. It's by the guitarist from Jakob and the drummer from Kerretta. Really digging the sample tracks.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I got really confused reading the last.fm page about MEAN. They met with Lily Allen and opened for Freezepop? Uh, okay... Oh, that's a different band.

david puddy posted:

Mean got its full release today, and it is brilliant. A bit heavier than most post rock but god drat this will more than do me until the next Jakob album comes out.

Heavier? Like volume heavier? Because I didn't really get that from the album.

Loved it though, everybody go check it out.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Woah, that Cloudkicker is pretty awesome. Seems that's just one guy doing it by himself, which is pretty drat impressive.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Good poo poo. Glad to see Leech and pg.lost up there. Also near the bottom are 417.3 who I don't really care for but I remember because they have pretty short song titles. Here is the track listing from the #43 album on that list, "2"

quote:

1. >
2. 516
3. 16
4. //
5. 700
Listening to that album it's actually better than what I heard from their first album, but good luck googling any of that.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Haha you're only a little late. That happens to me all the time. Not just with bands I know but I'll find bands that have been active since 1990 or something producing good music and I've never heard of them. Too bad post-rock bands can't afford commercials and billboards.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm really sad to see Marriages's Kitsune not on the list. I'd argue that they're kind of fringe post-rock, in that they're only really lumped in there because there's nowhere else to put them and they're a Red Sparowes offshoot, but I think Kitsune was the best album of 2012.

The whole thing be here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLHhAVYuF4w

Yeah I was a little disappointed it wasn't on that list, maybe people haven't heard of them or something.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Run Dodo Run posted:

While veering off post-rock completely now, I'm plugging Paul of 65's solo album because it sold all of five copies and was amazing.
Plus it had one of my favorite videos of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-KG7bhqUrg

Wow that was pretty good. I was immediately like "video games :rolleyes:" but that's a pretty good video and album.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

thehustler posted:

This is the same reason why I hate Rolo Tomassi. The music is wonderful but when whatsherface opens her mouth I hate it.

Wow yeah this is really horrible.

I'm sort of of two minds on screamy vocals. Sometimes they don't bother me (like on the latest Pirate Ship Quintet), other times they make it unlistenable.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Talons is awesome. Hope they release a new album sometime soon. That lineup is insane, I'm assuming the stated goal of ArcTanGent is to spite me personally.

Speaking of 65daysofstatic I've been on a 65dos kick lately. I think I'd written them off at some point in the distant past, but I am listening to all of their stuff now and some of it is really great.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Post Rock Facebook page put up this compilation of Mexican post-rock bands, some of it is pretty good.

e: Oh god screamy vocals strikes again aaaaa!

e2: Terror Cosmico owns

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 26, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

All of it! They seem to change it up every now and then.

Seriously I had a look and I can't figure out where to recommend you should start. Looking at their wikipedia article actually isn't a bad idea, they had a period where they got pretty heavy on synths, some vocals and softer stuff if that's your thing (I like it, but not as much as their other material). I guess if I had to pick one album, Mr Beast.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Long Distance Calling's new album is really good...or it would be if there were no vocals :( The instrumental tracks rule but every time the vocals kick in during the other tracks, it just ruins it for me.

Very disappointing. They seem to get vocalists from random Euro rock bands and I haven't liked any of their music with vocals.

e: That said as long as their albums continue to contain a reasonable amount of instrumental music I'll probably keep buying them.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 6, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Long Distance Calling's new album is really good...or it would be if there were no vocals :( The instrumental tracks rule but every time the vocals kick in during the other tracks, it just ruins it for me.

Going back to this album, I really dig the ~3 minute guitar solo on Nucleus. I wouldn't mind a little more of that in my post rock for a change of pace.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Just listen to all of it, then you don't have to worry about the optimal starting point.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

:staredog:

It's also free on their Bandcamp.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Don't get mad at me, but Edge Party reminds me of God Is An Astronaut but with subtlety and development.

As for lyrical post rock: *shels, *shels and then some more *shels. Eksi Ekso. Gifts from Enola has some lyrical stuff which I don't really care for. Hammock. Latitudes which we discussed earlier in this thread. Tulsa Drone has some lyrical tracks.

e: It appears that Eksi Ekso has become an electro pop band. That's weird. Their first album is pretty good.

e: Oh and Marriages - Kitsune if you missed that one

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

A Poor Man's Memory - Schiene

Guess which band they are influenced by!

Also Sleep Dealer holy poo poo

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 18, 2013