Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Perish the thought, I know, but what if the Hands That Thieve comes out and it sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Hobbit posted:

Perish the thought, I know, but what if the Hands That Thieve comes out and it sucks?

I'd hope it'd kick Tomas into releasing something fast and quick just to see if it ends up different.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 11, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hobbit posted:

Until you said this it had literally never occurred to me that that was a possibility. Probably if that happens we hope they pull a Less Than Jake and remember how to make good music quickly.

I still think it'll be very good, though.

One of these things is not like the others.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hobbit posted:

Well as long as it comes out. I want my preordered poo poo :(

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

One of these things is not like the others.

How can someone who composes songs that fast take so long to release them?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

guppy posted:

Until you said this it had literally never occurred to me that that was a possibility.

I used to think like this, and then Flogging Molly followed up Within a Mile of Home with Float, and then followed up Float with Speed of Darkness, and my heart broke into a million pieces. I really do think THTT will be a good album, but somehow I just can't shake the fear that this album is going to be the Phantom Menace of ska and turn Tomas into George Lucas with a horn section.

Maybe if the album is really bad Tomas will freak out and return to BOTAR.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Hobbit posted:

I used to think like this, and then Flogging Molly followed up Within a Mile of Home with Float, and then followed up Float with Speed of Darkness, and my heart broke into a million pieces. I really do think THTT will be a good album, but somehow I just can't shake the fear that this album is going to be the Phantom Menace of ska and turn Tomas into George Lucas with a horn section.

Maybe if the album is really bad Tomas will freak out and return to BOTAR.

Float was like the biggest disappointment of my entire life.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
I don't think I'll be all that bummed if the THTT turns out to be garbage. I'm not a Streetlight super fan or anything. The samples sounded great so I guess I'm not to worried about it being terrible.

If it does suck it probably won't be as crushing as hearing the new album by The Expos. Their first two albums were awesome laid back ska with a great, unique sound. Their new album "Lake House" is terrible, boring indie style music. I had no idea they had a new album out and stumbled upon it all pumped to hear it. I almost wish I never knew it existed.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Tennis Ball posted:

Float was like the biggest disappointment of my entire life.

:smith::hf::smith:

I think the problem is that Dave King ran out demons to write about. He's living back in Ireland now. He's married. I think the answer to get another good Flogging Molly album is to pay someone to go be really mean to Dave for awhile. The Dreadnoughts have been filling my hunger for new celt punk lately. They remind me a bit of an early Flogging Molly.

Also: There is only one Mischief Brew album. There is only one Mischief Brew album. There is only one Mischief Brew album.

In ska talk, I picked up an album by the Liptones on the recommendation of this thread. It's pretty good but I want to know how a band from Sweden can sound so British?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think RBF should just start making dancehall instrumentals exclusively.

e: just start playing the ska equivalent of daft punk shows

e2: i recognize no one but aaron

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 12, 2013

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
If we're going to take that route with RBF why not just get Madness instead?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I'm pretty sure that's still Dan playing the trombone.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I'm pretty sure that's still Dan playing the trombone.

It is, and Little Johnny Christmas has been playing trumpet for years now.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't recognize Johnny, he looks old :( I don't remember what Regan looks like, I haven't seen them in a few years. Also, I think they're still rolling the same drummer for the last few years but he's just rocking the caveman look now.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Hell, even Aaron is looking old.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, but that's hardly a new development.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
And yet Fishbone still looks great.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Jeff the Girl is still a bit of a cutie :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I think RBF should just start making dancehall instrumentals exclusively.

e: just start playing the ska equivalent of daft punk shows

Dan, Little Johnny Christmas, and Regan are still there, the sax player is brand new, and the bassist is the same dude who replacaced Matt Wong.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Hobbit posted:

And yet Fishbone still looks great.

I think I'm going to listen to Fishbone all day at work today. All the Fishbone fans here should check out ex-Fishbone member Chris Dowd's new band The Ultra Infidels. They have two songs you can listen to on their Soundcloud page here: https://soundcloud.com/theultrainfidels/sets/the-ultra-infidels. Cubicle is a fast ska song that gets a little psychedelic in the middle, while The Walking Dead is some kind of weird circus rock tune. Good stuff that does kind of sound like something Fishbone would do. Hopefully they have an album coming out this year.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hobbit posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I think the problem is that Dave King ran out demons to write about. He's living back in Ireland now. He's married. I think the answer to get another good Flogging Molly album is to pay someone to go be really mean to Dave for awhile. The Dreadnoughts have been filling my hunger for new celt punk lately. They remind me a bit of an early Flogging Molly.

Within A Mile of Home is the last album they made and I won't hear otherwise.

Also the last time I saw them was just before Float came out. I don't really have the desire to anymore. Man their shows were fun.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Wow. McSkippy and I agree on something. For awhile I've been considering creating a thread for Paddy and Celt rock since with a few exceptions like Flogging Molly it kind of forms its own subgenre. Would that interest anybody else in this thread?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

happy v day ska thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXY04abNHY

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Happy V Day indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5SrtepUkrw

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Happy valentines day rude goons. Am I doing this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCgX4ixCRcQ

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLpI3maTdQ

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYwoDEZ8hdw

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FYI today is Community Records Download Day

Stuck Lucky, The Best of the Worst, Brunt of It :allears:

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
I'm seeing people posting on Streetlight Manifesto's Facebook that the release date is April 30th. I haven't seen an announcement though. I hope it's true.

Yeah, I guess it's true. Saw this on Victory Records Twitter

quote:

Victory Records ‏@victoryrecords

Streetlight Manifesto – The Hands That Thieve will be available in stores and digitally on April 30th. Pre-order now
https://twitter.com/victoryrecords

X Ray Monster fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 15, 2013

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jesus christ how can they delay a record that's already done another 4 months?
They're probably just trying to gently caress the band over as long as possible.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Hope it leaks early at some point. Still doing the preorder with all the greatness that comes with it, but I'm just so loving ready to listen to the album.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
For anyone planning on seeing Five Iron Frenzy, tickets are now on sale for some of their upcoming shows.

quote:

FL, GA & NY Tix On Sale Now OH & PA This Friday
http://fiveironfrenzy.com/site/2013/02/fl-ga-ny-tix-on-sale-now-oh-pa-this-friday/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

X Ray Monster posted:

I'm seeing people posting on Streetlight Manifesto's Facebook that the release date is April 30th. I haven't seen an announcement though. I hope it's true.

Yeah, I guess it's true. Saw this on Victory Records Twitter

https://twitter.com/victoryrecords

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Took long enough. :neckbeard:

Hopefully the pre-order arrives before the end of the semester.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Oh poo poo, Chameleon Club is really tempting. I've only recently been getting into Five Iron Frenzy but it wouldn't be the first time I've really dived into a band because I'm impulsively seeing them live.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Jesus christ how can they delay a record that's already done another 4 months?
They're probably just trying to gently caress the band over as long as possible.

Bingo.

How much you wanna bet the album gets mailed to RISC customers before that though?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

april 30th announced means like june 15th, i can live with that i guess

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

april 30th announced means like june 15th, i can live with that i guess

June 15th 3421, you mean.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

june 15th 7035 when it's excavated by aliens from a satellite time capsule buried just beneath the surface of the saturn moon iapetus

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

june 15th 7035 when it's excavated by aliens from a satellite time capsule buried just beneath the surface of the saturn moon iapetus

Man they're gonna be so happy...

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Hobbit posted:

Oh poo poo, Chameleon Club is really tempting. I've only recently been getting into Five Iron Frenzy but it wouldn't be the first time I've really dived into a band because I'm impulsively seeing them live.

I would be thinking the exact same thing, but I already have tickets to Pouzza Fest that weekend, where I'll be seeing MU330 and Buck-O-Nine. What I'm currently doing is hoping that FIF heads up to Montreal on the 19th.

Also, in news that at least I'm excited about, Codename: Rocky is back from the grave as well, it would seem: https://www.facebook.com/CodeNameRocky?ref=ts&fref=ts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Streetlight made the official announcement of April 30th on their website, along with another new music clip: https://soundcloud.com/pentimentomusic/003-1