Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
hah I was at that show. My friends and I tailgated it around my friend's pink caddy.

I know it leaked a while ago, but I'm just listening to the new CD now. Its awesome and worth the wait, but hopefully it won't take another 5 years for the next cd to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkenstein
Mar 17, 2004
I was at the Streetlight show last night in Hartford, CT and it was a hell of a show. Maybe the 9th or so time I've seen Streetlight and I was psyched to hear It's a Wonderful Life and They Provide the Paint live for the first time. The new album is awesome too and well worth the wait. It sucks that the bassist (Chris Paszik? whoever the tall dude was) left the band, he was an awesome bass player.

Tomorrow I'm waking up at 5 am to drive my rear end and a car full of friends to Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel to be the first in line when tickets for the Bosstones' new years show go on sale. Friday I'll be in Jersey to see the greatest ska band ever: The Slackers.

In the second Road to the Throwdown video posted on the Bosstones page, there is a clip of a new song. Does anyone happen to know the name of it? It's the one that mentions The Selecter and Desmond Dekker

To the guy who wanted to hear more Citizen Fish, check out the album Flinch next. As a big Leftover Crack fan I was pretty disappointed with the LoC side of Deadline, but the Citizen Fish side more than made up for it and their cover of Money was pretty good too.

funkenstein fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 14, 2007

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Neight posted:

hah I was at that show. My friends and I tailgated it around my friend's pink caddy.

I know it leaked a while ago, but I'm just listening to the new CD now. Its awesome and worth the wait, but hopefully it won't take another 5 years for the next cd to come out.

Haha, you are friends with Tim too!

You were probably at Starland last friday as well. I went, and I hung out with Skavovee (he posted earlier in the thread), and some people from the Streetlight board, and we were intending on tailgating for Tim's birthday, but security was having none of that

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT
I was supposed to but I thought it was this friday so I didnt take off work. Its all good though cause I'm going to see them on Saturday in Albany...although I will miss the home crowd.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

WashinMyGoat posted:

What can you guys tell me about the band Deals Gone Bad? I missed them live with Mustard Plug earlier this year, and I heard some girl talk about them who is not a ska fan at all. I've only heard their songs from MySpace, and I don't know what to feel. Help.

Bringing up and old quote, but I didn't see a response to it.

Deals Gone Bad has been around for probably ten years now, and it seemed like the guys only played shows in Chicago, I never heard about tours. Anyway, they changed singers I think three years back and I'll be honest, I think they got a lot worse. They're essentially a pirate ska band, they make several pirate/sex jokes in songs and are pretty much a fun band to go see. I'd classify them as either traditional or two-tone, I guess they're a mix of both. I haven't seen them in a while, but even though I don't think they're as good as they used to be, I still think they put on a good show.

Back during ska's peak, they opened for pretty much any traditional/two-tone ska band that came through. I think the first time I saw them, they opened for Hepcat at the Metro. That just reminded me of how much I miss Hepcat.

Edit: I was in a ska band called The Indecisives back during college. I only played in the band for a year, but they were around for about 7 years with varying lineups. I did go on one tour out to the east coast, which has good and bad memories.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

amateur economist posted:

First of all, Mysterious Aftertaste, I like your taste in Avatar. I took that picture:

http://markperdomo.smugmug.com/gallery/603350#25441879

Second of all, speaking as somebody who has been into Streetlight Manifesto for a long time (the show that pic is from is 2005, and that was one of the LAST shows I shot of theirs), and the person who runs the largest Streetlight Messageboard, I find it both interesting and hilarious how popular Streetlight has gotten. And as people have mentioned.....not "entirely" ska, but I think they deserve the distinction.

Streetlight is amazingly huge these days, and i'm very happy for the success of the guys in the band, even thouh they still have to work lovely jobs teaching marching band and stuff to get by.

Sorry for jacking your photo like that.

You run skachilles, or is there a bigger SM-related board?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I just got my tickets for the Bosstones on New Years... Hell of a birthday present!

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Somewhere in the Between, both the album and the song, are absolutely awesome. This album has lived up to the hype in ways that nothing I've ever seen has been able to do. And drat, the instrumental break down in Receiving End of it All is just mindshattering stuff.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Think about the domain on which the SM board, which technically isn't called Skachilles anymore for a reason, is hosted.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Sorry for jacking your photo like that.

First of all, I don't really care. I pretty much let people do what they want with my photos, much to my detriment as I was serving up 10GB a month of Gym Class Heroes Pics as they got popular (instead of making lots in prints sales). So whatever, im just glad people like the photos and enjoy Streetlight.

So no worries about the photo!

Second of all, yeah, I run skakills

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
I went to the Boston Streetlight show last night, and it was amazing. Great to hear those BOTAR songs and glad to see they're still doing awesome shows four years after I heard about them.

The two things I noticed were that the show was a little more violent than I thought it would be (a pleasant surprise) and also the mean age of the people there seemed to be like 16. I definitely expected more college kids and 20somethings but the crowd was dominated by high school kids, it seemed like.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
I was at the Starland Ballroom show on the 9th, awesome stuff. The trumpet player from Suburban Legends got me their old cds when I bought the new one, and him and the lead singer signed the inside of their self titled after he got them to me. Getting the new Streetlight cd with the signed poster early was incredible too.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Carl with a K posted:

I was at the Starland Ballroom show on the 9th, awesome stuff. The trumpet player from Suburban Legends got me their old cds when I bought the new one, and him and the lead singer signed the inside of their self titled after he got them to me. Getting the new Streetlight cd with the signed poster early was incredible too.

Oh christ was that a mob scene after the show. I think they eventually ran out before I got to the front. I just gave up and bought a Stitch Up cd. And I got the set list off the sound board, so I'll equate that with the signed poster. Also, not that I really know sound boards, but it looked like they were recording the show. I also loved how a good 3/4 of the crowd new every lyric for every new song. The set list for the show at Starland:

We Will Fall
Failing, Flailing
Mephisto's Cafe
Everything Goes Numb
A Better Place, A Better Time (written on the list as Annie)
40 Days
Point/Keasby Nights/Counterpoint
Wonderful Life
They Provide
Watch It Crash
That'll Be The Day
Somewhere In The Between
Big Sleep
Impressed
Here's To Life

The show on Sunday in Philly was about 10 minutes shorter. I think they just cut out 40 days and Impressed, but I could be mistaken. I just can't believe that they didn't play Receiving End Of It All.

I missed the Stitch Up the first night, but seeing them the second, I really liked 'em. That "funny singer" as someone mentioned earlier is Dan Potthast of MU330 (semi)fame. Aside from playing stuff off the new album, they threw in Raw and La.

Suburban Legends new album sucks horribly, but they still usually put on a good show. The set both nights was pretty much 2 Rump Shaker songs/2 Dance Like Nobody's Watching songs/2 new songs/1 Disney cover. I think the NJ show was (in no order) High Fives & Last Dance (which was nice to hear)/Come Back Home & This DJ/2 new songs/Gummi Bears. I liked the Philly show a bit more as they swapped in Bright Spring Morning for Last Dance and Under The Sea for Gummi Bears. And then they got their poo poo stolen. Whoops.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

WaffleZombie posted:

:words:

Yeah the "funny singer" comment was mine. Still mostly knew to Ska so I don't really know my stuff but I do know I enjoy it! I still need to check out MU330

Anyway, the set you listed sounds pretty similar to the one at the NYC show, a slightly different order though I think. I was also surprised they didn't play Receiving End Of It All, I was looking forward to it.

I agree with you about Surburban Legends, I don't really like their newer stuff and the only song they played that I knew was High Fives (which they played as their last song, I was getting scared that they wouldn't play it)

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

WaffleZombie posted:

Oh christ was that a mob scene after the show. I think they eventually ran out before I got to the front. I just gave up and bought a Stitch Up cd. And I got the set list off the sound board, so I'll equate that with the signed poster. Also, not that I really know sound boards, but it looked like they were recording the show. I also loved how a good 3/4 of the crowd new every lyric for every new song. The set list for the show at Starland:

The definitely were recording at Respectable Street in 2005, the night before the first time they got robbed. But I'm pretty sure the two times I've seen them since then, no apparent recording was going on.

Orlando show was changed to The Social. Quite excited about that, probably my favorite small venue I've been to.

AnimalsFighting
May 16, 2006

and as a victorian gentlemen, I should inform you that it's called fisticuffs
Some awesome Ska videos for you folks.

Spring Heeled Jack - Pay Some Dues (live)
Kemuri - Some japanese words...
Link 80 - Verbal Kint
Skankin' Pickle - $13,000 is a lot of food
MU330 - Tune Me Out
The Chinkees - Big World
Edna's Goldfish - Veronica Sawyer
Regatta 69 - I wanna smack you
The Toasters - Two-tone Army
The Toasters - Pool Shark
Mephiskapheles - Doomsday
The Suicide Machines - No Face
Catch 22 - Point The Blame
Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights
Desmond Dekker - Rude Boy Train
Undercover Ska - Souvenir
The Selecter - On My Radio
The Skatalites - In the mood for ska
The Skatalites - Freedom Sound
The Pietasters - Yesterday's Over
The Pietasters - Out all night (live good quality)
Hepcat - No Worries
The Pilfers - Climbing
The Slackers feat. Coolie Ranx - http://youtube.com/watch?v=68rl5xbhs1g
Save Ferris - Come on Eileen
Save Ferris - The World is New
Mustard Plug - You
The Aggrolites - Dont bring me down
The Aquabats - Super Rad!
The Adjusters - Our Town
Skavoovie and the Epitones - Blood Red Sky
The Specials - Ghost Town
The Specials - A Message to you rudy
Madness - One Step Beyond
Madness - Driving in my car
Fishbone - Party at Ground Zero
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Where did you go?
Goldfinger - Superman
The Supertones - Strike Back
The Planetsmashers - Hey Hey
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Fire in the Dance Hall
Buck-O-Nine - My Town
Potshot - Freedom

Short Ska Documentary.

That's all I got for now. I'll probably keep updating it as I remember/redis
cover/and clean up the links.

AnimalsFighting fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 15, 2007

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

The Toasters. I don't go to many because I only like a couple bands that are actually still together.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Let's Go Bowling, but I can't for the life of me remember who else played with them. It was a great show too, I saw them a couple more times before they fell off the face of the earth.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Less Than Jake at the old Covered Dish in their home town of Gainesville, FL, although I have long since forgotten the two (non-ska) opening bands. This was in the fall of 1996, and I had only moved to Gainesville to start my freshman year at UF about a week prior. I had such an amazing time that night, and I knew I had found a great town, a great band, and an exciting new scene to be part of.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
UK ska-punkers might appreciate this little wander down memory lane.. *sniff*

http://drownedinsound.com/articles/2512478

I won't quote it, it's a bit long. But it's a good look at the rise and fall of the UK ska underground with some good videos. Reminds me how proud I am to be still be part of that scene.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I thought it was RBF at first (eh) but actually it was Kid Go Home earlier in the day at Skate and Surf like 5 or 6 years ago

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
I'm no longer a ska fan, I got out of it many man years ago, but I thought this was really funny and cute, and I have to share it with the appropriate thread: Ska for kids!

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

Dillinger posted:

I'm no longer a ska fan, I got out of it many man years ago, but I thought this was really funny and cute, and I have to share it with the appropriate thread: Ska for kids!

I've heard of that show, but I wasn't sure if it had actual ska like I heard it did.

Well now that settles it. If/when I have kids of my own I will make them watch this show, and only this show on television.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Silva posted:

I've heard of that show, but I wasn't sure if it had actual ska like I heard it did.

Well now that settles it. If/when I have kids of my own I will make them watch this show, and only this show on television.

That show also had the Aggrolites play once.

The new Vic Ruggiero solo album, Hamburguru is awesome.

mrfancycrackers
Nov 17, 2007

by Ozma
I definitely had a ska phase but now I only like a handful of bands... The Arrogant Sons of Bitches/Bomb the Music Industry are seriously bands everyone should listen to, they are spastic, loud, fast, and awesome.

Also- Westbound Train kicks rear end, they are a bit boring recorded but live, they are amazing. I saw them in a basement once and it was the best show I have ever been to.

And Leftover Crack is sooo lame.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I am really surprised that so many people remember such a forgettable band as SGR. At best they were one of the less terrible of about a dozen or so ska bands cranking out bland, quirky third wave ska and wacky 80s covers in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area during that time.

I always thought that Public Service and The Slackers never got the attention they both deserved, though. I heard that Public Service is playing again, which is really cool.

Out of that 90s era surge in popularity, I still listen to the Pie Tasters (new album out now!), The Pilfers, The Blue Meanies and Let's Go Bowling. I really liked the bands that seemed to look at ska as another influence to be melded with their own sound and not something to do before they stepped on the distortion pedal and launched into the chorus.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Has there ever been a tribute cd to the Aquabats? I've been listening to them a lot lately and I can't seem to find anything in-store or online. Failing that, are there any covers of them?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

what the christ? I've definitely seen the Aquabats in Best Buy and most of the local record stores

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

That Ska For Kids videos might be the best video I've ever seen on Youtube. I can't get enough of it!

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.

Inside Outside posted:

That Ska For Kids videos might be the best video I've ever seen on Youtube. I can't get enough of it!

I watched it again and just now noticed the white kid in it is a little skinhead, hahaha.

One of the guys from the Aquabats does that show with Biz Markie. I forget which guy though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Have any of you guys seen the Suburban Legends play live? They opened for Streetlight at the Starland show and JESUS gently caress. They were a bunch of Pete Wentz looking mother fuckers and had choreographed dance moves. It made me want to vomit.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

weekly font posted:

Have any of you guys seen the Suburban Legends play live? They opened for Streetlight at the Starland show and JESUS gently caress. They were a bunch of Pete Wentz looking mother fuckers and had choreographed dance moves. It made me want to vomit.

I saw them before they were really 'big' and it was still the same. I never liked them, or their music.
I guess I've always actually been pretty bitter about having to see third wave bands that I hate to see trad/2 tone bands that I love, hah.

Neight
Mar 30, 2007

YOLT

weekly font posted:

They're not really ska, they just have horns so they get roped into the genre. I saw them in the summer at Starland and this weekend in Albany. They have a lot of energy and sort of bring a novel idea to the general admission, small club type show. I don't really listen to their cds, but I like seeing them live.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

weekly font posted:

See the thing is they go for choreography, the same way the Aquabats have a zany live show. Its not everybody's cup of tea, but I appreciate it. No they're not "ska" but neither are a lot of bands...

DoctorPhanan
Mar 14, 2006
I actually LIKE The Suburban Legends, although I've never seen them live. Whenever I listen to any song of theirs I start grinning like a sped.

In any case, I don't think it was mentioned yet but 21deadmonkeys is a fantastic ska-related webcomic that opened up several bands to me. A shame that it's hardly ever updated anymore.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

No they're not "ska" but neither are a lot of bands...

Good point. I understand that ska has a different meaning now than it used to, but I sorta wish there was a different name for the punk with horns and up picking genre, heh.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Good point. I understand that ska has a different meaning now than it used to, but I sorta wish there was a different name for the punk with horns and up picking genre, heh.

I see no problem with including them as ska or ska-influenced. Every band around now has genre/genre/genre-genre. I personally love SL for their choreography. I haven't seen them since their change in vocalist though. They are just fun to go see, much like the Aquabats as someone mentioned above. I can see how they would rub some people the wrong way, especially since I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about their new work.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

what the christ? I've definitely seen the Aquabats in Best Buy and most of the local record stores

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
I love Suburban Legends, but their new cd isn't too great. Desperate is one of my favorite ska songs ever, though.

Their choreography is awesome and I love it.