Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«23 »
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Ain't nothin' to fuck with

A friend and I are hoping to go see Streetlight play in Buffalo in October
For sure I'm going to go see the Toasters in November. They're playing at a terrible local venue, and I couldn't be more excited
EDIT Will I get bitched at for plugging my friends' band?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2008 around 22:50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I'd go see Suburban Legends just for the Disney singalong at the end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not a big fan in general. They just never really did it for me. That said, the Disney covers are amazing.
And while I'm at it, time to plug a local band. Apologies for the myspace but it's all they have right now.
http://www.myspace.com/4point0ny
Friends of mine that got together about a year ago and started playing. The stuff on the myspace is the new stuff they recorded for their first EP this summer.
I went to see them play this summer, and Johnny Tsunami, of the Flaming Tsunamis, was in the crowd. These guys do a cover of If You Really Love Me as part of their set, and afterward, he went up to the band and gushed about how great they were. It was pretty great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

At least that half will be great
But who would the other two bands be, other than catch22 of course

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I saw a video of him playing Somewhere In The Between on acoustic
The audience joined in by singing the horn parts
It was pretty good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Jesus Christ I just watched that
Man should know his own songs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Any goons in the central New York area planning on going to Devil's Night Out or Skalloween?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

And I think they're playing the local Skalloween this year, too, on 10/26
Apparently this is the first year since the local ska promoter started this thing that Mustard Plug hasn't played it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Wish I could see Mustard Plug. I saw Deal's Gone Bad when they played here a while ago, and they were alright
But Mustard Plug, holy poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Linoleum makes me scratch my head but the rest of that is great.
I would kill to hear Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Can't be as bad as the original.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

The rock influences.
Which, I don't give a poo poo, RBF is still one of my favorite bands, and a ska band to boot. Turn the Radio Off is amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Please don't start that discussion in this thread.

Someone on another forum told me that my friends' band wasn't really ska
I was like you know what you're right they should play nothing but upstrokes and hit the drums just right you pretentious poo poo.
For the record, it was the band I posted a few pages ago, posting again for gently caress you I can. http://myspace.com/4point0ny

Also I think the AFI/Catch show would be waaaay more awkward. Or Sum 41, depending on when it was.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Their covers are a lot closer, or were when they started.
When they switched drummers and brought in the trumpet it shifted a lot more towards punk. Still works though, it's the local flavor. We have a decent punk-ska/rock-ska scene, I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

guppy posted:

Somehow I missed this the first time and I like what I heard. Any plans for an album?

Their first EP came out uhhh a month or two ago? Maybe? The EP is what's on the myspace plus their cover of Bad Town. In my opinion, they have better covers than that, though. They do a couple of Streetlight covers that are great, and their cover of If You Really Love Me, by the Flaming Tsunamis, is straight out amazing. Johnny Tsunami was at one of their shows, and afterwards told the band that he preferred their version to his.
As far as full album, who knows. Half of the band is still in high school, and one or two of them are only juniors.

EDIT: Youtube and 4point0 present: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoQaEtd1AZU. This is the only decent recording of them doing the Tsunamis song. Skip the first minute or so, it's just their trombonist/occasional singer introducing the band.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2008 around 04:20

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Whooops. Didn't realize the period got caught in the link.
They're playing at the show at Funk 'n Waffles on the 25th, CNY goons, as is The Action and Straighter Than Pete, which is seven kinds of rad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

The Action went on right after 4point0 the last time 4point0 played. They got up there and started asking if the band was still there, and it turned into this whole thing about "holy poo poo you guys ruled" and then they launched into Skatos Saves The Day. I'm going to ask them if they'll play 18 Years Later at Devil's Night Out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

On their last tour with Mustard Plug/Suburban Legends the show I was at they played more old stuff than I've ever heard them play, and I've seen them several times. It was probably the best concert of theirs I had ever been to.

The only way I could see LTJ play is if I had a written guarantee that they'd do Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore, Scott Farcas, and Johnny Quest
One of those is pretty easy to guarantee but I would require all three

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

If it's a band shirt that you already bought a while ago, it's cool. Otherwise, you look like a dumbshit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I only care what you're wearing if you're one of those kids from the last locals show I went to. They were wearing girls' soccer shorts, slip on vans, and most of the show, no shirts because it was hot as gently caress.
Their boxers were kinda sticking out at the bottom of their rear end cheeks and it was just loving terrifying.

Saw one of them a couple days later at a Bouncing Souls show, kid was pretty rad when he wasn't wearing soccer shorts. Crowd-surfed to Gone with that kid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

mix.lunar posted:

Hell yea, new RBF album!

If I may say, this is the best thing ever. RBF, Streetlight Manifesto, One Pin Short, and Tip the Van on tour together. gently caress yes.

Oh goddammit come to NY before I leave for basic come on come on come on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Goddammit I can't go to NYC you sons of bitches god I hate you gently caress ska gently caress music I quit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

This tour is like saying "hey for fifteen bucks you'll get your dick sucked by four hot chicks for a couple hours oh you can't go gently caress YOU"
I'm clinging desperately to the Toasters show next month in order to stay sane.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I can barely count Big D as music, let alone ska music.
Get Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "Jackknife to a Swan" while you're at it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I would recommend Less Than Jake's Losing Streak and Streetlight Manifesto's Somewhere in the Between as well.

Really any LTJ before Borders and Boundaries, maybe throw Anthem in for shits and giggles, but that last one made me think "Oh so this is what didn't make it onto Anthem?"

I'm surprised nobody said Mustard Plug, Evildoers Beware! and In Black And White especially.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

guppy posted:

Are you thinking of In With The Out Crowd? Because if so, are you aware that they released the far superior GNV FLA a little while back?

I'm fond of Mustard Plug too; I'd swap in Pray For Mojo over In Black And White, personally. I love Evildoers Beware!, of course.

In With The Out Crowd was just bad. GNV FLA wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I listened to it and was like "wow another b-sides album already?" It literally made me think of Anthem but not in a good way. And I love Anthem, Anthem is one of my top two LTJ albums.

Mustard Plug's grown on me a lot lately. I couldn't get into them for a long time and then in the last month or so it's just been like BAM. The first Streetlight album is like that, for me. I just listen to it and then think "you know, I could be listening to Keasbey or Somewhere right now" and switch it over.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I'm actually OK with the cover album, since their covers are generally good.
And I mean if you're going to bitch about bands doing cover albums uhhh Streetlight's next 2 albums are covers, plus the other six albums in 99 Songs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I feel like Evildoers Beware! is a much stronger album than Pray for Mojo. I'd be hard pressed to say why though.

Box. Suburban Homesick Blues. Sadie May. Fuckin' Beer (song).
How's that for reasons?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

More than Beer (song)? For shame sir. For shame.
Never Be is pretty rad too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I think the point is that that's a loving amazing album.
Anyway. Went to Devil's Night Out, saw a bunch of locals that I'll link to when I'm not exhausted. Got The Action to play one of my favorite songs because they think I'm in 4point0. Holy poo poo the whole show was good. The first hour and a half was a bloodbath, with circle pits going through what amounts to a living room full of people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I think I'm the only one that doesn't like the Aquabats. Something about them just grates on me.
Local band plug time. http://myspace.com/endive and http://myspace.com/bandtheaction Saw both of these bands play on Saturday, and they were both great. Endive did amazing covers of Thriller and the Ghostbusters song, and The Action is always good, just ask Josh Wow.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Goddamnit The Fad broke up. I haven't seen them in forever due to their van getting all destroyed and then not touring and we were gonna play a show with them in a loving month but instead I get to never see them again. Everybody needs to go pick up Kill Punk Rock Stars, their last album. It is awesome.

Is it up on Community Records?
The only band on there I'm irked that I didn't see when I could is Fatter Than Albert. They played a show with 4point0 this summer and I took off early, like after the second band, so I could go see about a girl.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I doubt it, they released it on Bankshot records and usually record labels get kinda pissy if you just give away an album. It's totally worth the $10 to buy it though. Also Fatter Than Albert is about to go on a hiatus pretty soon cause their guitarist is leaving, so if they play a show near you go because you might not get a chance to see them again anytime soon. I know they're doing a Florida tour in late December because they're doing it pretty much the exact same days we're doing our tour but we're trying to hit different cities on different days so it's been a bitch getting anything booked. I believe they're doing a short midwest tour as well in January.

They're not doing anything in NY. I checked Kingston Beats' site not long ago, and I asked Ska Danny about it (dude who owns Kingston Beats).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Are you talking about Fatter than Albert? I'd hope they weren't doing anything in NY for their midwest tour since NY isn't particularly close to the midwest Also Ska Danny is an awesome dude.

Nobody's doing anything in NY that I've heard about or care about except for the Toasters playing in Syracuse in two weeks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Two of the Fads final shows are in NY! One in Amityville and one in Bethpage.

Not my part of NY, though. Syracuse and its 'burbs are the limit of my shows. And the Toasters beat the Fad any day, anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Try going to http://plyrics.com and searching for the lyrics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

guppy posted:

I know this is SA and all, but that's a pretty lovely thing to say in a thread about something with as strong a record of anti-discrimination politics as ska.

Be fair, that boy band poo poo was gay as hell. I mean I was like the perfect age when that poo poo was popular and I still thought it was gay as hell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

I get the point.
I just still insist that you are well within your rights to say that boy band poo poo was gay

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

Who was it that asked when my friends' band was coming out with a full album?
I just found out last night that the first full album will be coming out this summer, sometime.
For the people with goldfish memories that would be http://myspace.com/4point0ny
EDIT Holy poo poo. It has just been brought to my attention that they're going to be opening for the Toasters next Friday.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at Nov 3, 2008 around 15:12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 12, 2007

No problem. Not sure how they're distributing it besides at shows but hey may as well get the word out.
Speaking of new albums, new Fatter Than Albert up on community records.

«23 »