Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey Josh Wow, you know a bit about the scene. Ever hear of the Argonauts or the Gammas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good enough. I could always track down myspaces if I felt like it.
I just ask because they're playing the Thanksgiving show with 4point0, Magic Goat, and the Furies and I've heard enough good things about Magic Goat to anticipate it a little.
EDIT http://myspace.com/gammasthe Ehhh. The influences thing has me wary. Anyone who cites Leftover Crack is a terrible human being on principle. Also a lot more of a punk sound than I was expecting. Than again, Kingston Beat booked Flatfoot 56 so why am I surprised

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 4, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I really can't afford to take a night off and go to this show but how many chances am I going to get to see my friends open for the Toasters?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jen is probably my favorite LTJ song, just because it was the first one I heard and was like "yes. yes this is good musics."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but he did Somewhere in the Between and that's my absolute favorite Streetlight song.
"Bum bum ba-bum..."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The video of him doing an acoustic set is even better.
The crowd sings the horn riffs and the backing vocals

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :( They were a lot of fun, though, and the people who were there were great, super friendly. Got to hear a lot of favorites. The set opener was Two-Tone Army and the closer was Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down.

The openers weren't ska bands, but they were pretty fun. I liked the Ambitions, the Rootworkers and Flatfoot 56. Wasn't big on Singleton. Unfortunately, neither the Ambitions nor the Rootworkers, my favorites of the openers, were selling CDs.

If they do that set tonight you won't see me posting afterwards
I'll be too busy fapping because those are my two favorite songs.
If everyone who says they're going on Facebook shows up, we'll have like 80 people in a room that had a hard time holding 50. Oh yeah.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Going to be impossible not to have fun. My friends are opening, followed by The Action, another local band, and then Flatfoot and the Toasters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We had 70 people packed into Funk 'n Waffles last night. It was loving great. Ska Danny even abandoned his post at the door for the Toasters' set.
Best musically? The Toasters, of course. But best set, best performance, was Straighter Than Pete. The singer's brother came on stage with them to do one song, they played Santeria (holy poo poo it went nuts for that), and then they ended with Centerfold. After he finished singing Centerfold, the singer, a kinda fat guy, crowd-surfed from one end to the other and back again. It was loving great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It ain't a pit unless it's you and four or five friends and nobody wants to move back, so the six of you are in a four square foot area going in a circle and trying not to die.
And then you give up on that last part and start trying to take each other out "accidentally."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, whoever the Toasters have running their merch table on this tour is an rear end in a top hat. If you got within three feet of the table, he'd throw you back into the circle
But the room was small enough that you were never more than two feet away at that point in the circle.
Guy was a loving dick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Huh, the guy running the table at the show I went to was Hingley himself.

I meant during their set.
Apparently, Hingley is related to this kid I went to school with, and another kid's uncle used to play trombone for them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys...I have made a grievous error.
Maybe it was just because I tried listening to them at the wrong time in my life but...I actually find myself enjoying the Aquabats. How have I lived this long without them?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

A bit of news I just discovered which I thought was awesome:

Remember the RBF album that's scheduled to come out in January and be all cover songs? One of the songs they're covering? VERONICA SAWYER BY EDNA'S GOLDFISH.

Holy gently caress, I can't wait to hear this.

e: Track listing:

I'm also pretty excited for the Poison songs and Won't Back Down. Monkey Man isn't bad either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuEMJ_48YE

That isn't really the point although it is unfortunate.

Talk Dirty To Me won't be as good as the Regatta 69 version of it. I love that track, mainly for replacing the lead guitar with a trombone, and I guarantee you the RBF version will contain much more guitar rocking.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

If any of you play Audiosurf on Steam, they're now playing an Italian ska punk group called Talco on Audiosurf Radio. They're worth a listen at least.

Things that make me want to cry: We Will Fall Together on Audiosurf, or really any song off SitB

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Horseshit. They're only enjoyable for ending shows with Disney tunes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

They don't really do that anymore which is pretty upsetting :(

When I first saw them, they did Under The Sea and it was awesome.

Just Can't Wait To Be King is better, sorry

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Josh Wow, my scene-knowing friend, ever played with Atomic Potato?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good enough for me.
They're doing a show the 23rd with 4point0, RoboBuddies, and probably someone else. I pray to god it's not Native Informant.
If they ever start touring, just hope you don't ever play a show with Native Informant. It's bad. Really bad. And their songs are all like ten minutes long.
Hopefully they'll get The Action or Straighter Than Pete to fill the fourth spot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I post on another forum with one of the guys from Community Records, and they have another Download Day coming up with lots of free stuff. Here's the list for Download Day 2:

quote:

THE FLAMING TSUNAMIS - Fear Everything

STUCK LUCKY/ ARM THE POOR - We Never Sleep Split

TUSKER -Collection

MATT WIXSON - KEASBEY NIGHTS (best of matt collection)

THE MAD CONDUCTOR - Ejemplo (4 song collection)

THE GHOSTWOOD - Development (new orleans favorites)

SUPAFLIES - Rambarded (new orleans favorites)

Please tell everyone you know to come download more free music. These tunes will go up on 18th of December and from then on will be up for FREE DOWNLOAD from this site.

Now available from Community Records:
TUSKER – EP compact disc
MURPHY’S KIDS – shirts
STUCK LUCKY – vinyl, cds, shirts
FATTER THAN ALBERT – (new) vinyl, cds, shirts, hoodies
More stuff in the online catalog.

I'd like to grab Fear Everything and that Matt Wixson one, but dammit Matt. You don't get to call anything Keasbey Nights yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To quote an earlier post in this thread, the age that Ben Carr stops dancing at is the age when you're too old for ska.

I actually saw Wixson right before Halloween and he did a pretty good set. Covered Flaming Tsunami's Zombies Vs Robots which got the crowd roaring along while we set up. He did his Babylon Party Machine stuff later on but we were already out the door, it was like midnight at that point.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wooo free music

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sugar Blaster posted:

he routinely embarrasses himself at this other board i post on and it'd be sad if he weren't so smug

He was kind of a dick for the few minutes we got to talk to him but he played a decent enough set, albeit a bit short because he was going on for two short ones that night.

Decent meaning "I didn't really mind it, but I also didn't really want him to keep playing, and we bailed while he was setting up for the second set"

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calavera posted:

THANK YOU. For a while I really thought I was the only person in the world who didn't care for him.

Let's put it this way: I've seen a lot worse going to every local show in the last year. I've seen first-wave jam bands that played too long, and skacore that just sucked dick. He's not THAT bad, but he's not as good as The Action or Straighter Than Pete or even some of the crappy college bands I've seen, either

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doubleposting to say holy poo poo, Razbari Sumthing is doing a reunion show Tuesday night in Syracuse. CNY goons, I demand your presence, this was/is like the best local ska band, they broke up a few years ago, and now they just play when everyone is back in town.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The year where there's no way for me to go, Bad Religion plays. gently caress you, Graffin, do some shows back home for once

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Streetlight Manifesto. Sold. Just needs more Street Dogs.

McColgan should never be allowed near a mic, sorry.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Do Or Die would like a word with you :mad:

They got way better after Barr joined and they peaked with Blackout

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I love Al Barr and I like basically all of the Murphys' catalogue. And yes, I like Barr-era Murphys somewhat more than McColgan-era Murphys. But McColgan contributed some fine work that I like a lot and I thought it deserved recognition.

There's a handful of songs that I do like McColgan's version of better. Barroom Hero and Finnegan's Wake come to mind. Barroom Hero kinda needs that rasping almost slurring voice to sound great.

But the rest of that album is hard for me to sit through. Blackout on the other hand, I've done drunken sing-alongs to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You haven't sung along with that album till you find a girl to sing Dirty Glass with you

Hint it's so rad

And while yes Road of the Righteous is a good song, I like Barr's version better. Also, not a fan of the acoustic pub version of Boys on the Docks. Live version is about ten times as awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
See I don't get the love for second wave, or even third-wave that sounds like it. It all sounds the same to me, with a few exceptions, like the Toasters. But hey, to each his own.

Is it local band plug time? I believe it is! http://www.myspace.com/therobobuddies Right there, another ska/rock/something or other band.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I tend to think that's the mix, they're really good live even though they've only done like 4 shows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Most of the bands I plug here, with the exception of like The Action and Endive, are local-only for now. Either it's because they're in college and only play when they're home, or if it's 4point0 it's because almost half the band is still in high school. Pretty sure they're doing an east coast tour this summer though once they get the album recorded.

I know someone in most of the little bands, friend of a friend and all that, I can always ask them to set up a mailing thing or get a copy for people or something.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 23, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well that was an interesting show. Atomic Potato's drummer quit right before the tour, and nobody wanted to tour without a drummer but their singer/guitarist, so he put all the other parts on his ipod, BTMI style, and went on stage anyway.

He was still great, better than some of the bands I've seen.

Oh and the headliner, Razbari Sumthing doing a reunion show, was loving amazing. Just like wow.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How can a guy with Goes To College for an avatar be so wrong?

Has anyone seen Forty Lashes? They're from Detroit, if that helps.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guess who's going to go see Streetlight on the 31st in Rochester

This guy. Right here. How's it going?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The one benefit of being stuck in Syracuse till February.

Well that and 4point0 shows, which I'm going to tonight. Going to see if I can get any of the band to go with me to Streetlight

I'd really like for the ticket prices to go up but nothing, yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I have a ticket for the Streetlight/RBF show on the 20th at Roseland but I have a class and can't go :(

Well, I've seen RBF 6 times, and Streetlight 4 times so I guess it's not that big of a d....I WANT TO GO :cry:

I would seriously punch a baby to get that ticket and a ride down there.

gently caress you baby I want to see that show. Still, Swellers and Streetlight, with A Wilhelm Scream and The Stitch Up opening. Not bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was pretty let down by the cover of Talk Dirty To Me. The Regatta 69 version is so much better.

The rest of it was pretty good though, Brown Eyed Girl is probably the highlight with Veronica Sawyer in second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No, they were mad about Cheer Up, it's the one where they thought people were going to ahte them for selling out, so Aaron started the Forces Of Evil just in case.

Post Cheer Up is alright, their last album was pretty bad though