Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

guppy posted:

I've now given the new Tomas several listens as well. In isolation, on its own, I like it a lot. I like the guitar work, I like Tomas' voice, and of course I like the songs. In context, it's been four years since Somewhere In The Between and I would really like some new material.

Last night at the Streetlight Manifesto/Reel Big Fish concert in Baltimore, Tomas said their new album is 90% done. I've been told not to get my hopes up too high, but 90% sounds pretty good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Side One Dummy has an auction going on to raise money for Dave from Big D:

Article: http://www.punknews.org/article/45343
The actual auctions: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sideonedumm...=&_trksid=p3686

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

If you can get over not skanking in the pit with the kids they are loving fantastic live. Energetic and on-point with the music (which is pretty drat impressive, they have some really complex horn parts)

I saw them when they were touring with RBF, and that was my biggest takeaway from Streetlight's set. RBF was a lot of fun, but Streetlight was so tight with their music that it just impressed me that they could play it live like that. As a musician, I really enjoyed Streetlight live.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

http://dyingscene.com/news/toh-kay-...ifesto-release/

New Toh Kay and new Streetlight this year. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm really looking forward to any new Streetlight.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Tennis Ball posted:

I honestly am starting to think he just doesn't have it in him. He has been active since 1995. That is 17 years. In 17 years we have 36 original songs. Everything else he has done has been covers.

Not sure if you've seen it, but http://streetlightmanifesto.com/str...oycotts-itself/ talks about the problems Streetlight has with Victory Records, and basically Tomas signed a really bad deal with Victory back when he was really young with Catch 22 that gives Victory the rights to anything any Catch 22 member makes. I think the general consensus is that the hatred of Victory is at least partially to blame for the lack of songs.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Beowulf posted:

Anyone going to see big D and the kids table at the stone pony in April?

I don't know how I missed that they're coming to DC in May, I'll definitely be going to that show.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm happy he got over his cancer but I'm not sure if i'm gonna go see them at the Stone Pony. I haven't seen them since Halloween two or three years ago and I was less than amused. Does he play mostly newer stuff?

edit: Its 12 bucks so I feel a little better. Anybody know who else is playing?

When I saw them last year, they played a few off the new album, but nothing that I remember from Fluent In Stroll. Most were from Strictly Rude and How It Goes, and a few from Good Luck.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Fluent in Stroll has been the only album to date that I actually removed off my iPod after putting it on. It offended me that much.

When I first listened to it, I really didn't like it and took it off my mp3 player as well. I had it on my main computer that I usually shuffle songs from so I ended up hearing a few sprinkled throughout my normal stuff and it grew on me. Now I actually like Fluent In Stroll, but I'm not too keen on the newest album. Maybe it will grow on me in the same way.

I guess that was a long way of saying that I understand where you're coming from.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Strictly Rude. For the most part. The next two albums, not so much. I recently discovered the title track is a cover of sorts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrNDnU6PPk

Thank you for this, I heard the end of this somewhere and I swore it sounded like Strictly Rude, but I never looked into it.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I finally found out that I'll actually be in town next week, just to find out that the Goldfinger/Big D/RBF/SL show at the 9:30 club in Baltimore next week is sold out. Any chance that anyone knows someone with extra tickets?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

guppy posted:

Hopefully your plans are correct, but just in case: the 9:30 Club is not in Baltimore. It is in Washington, D.C., which is reasonably close but definitely not interchangeable, and if you are in one and find that you meant to be in the other, it takes nontrivial time to travel between them.

You're right, I had Baltimore on the brain because I was looking up that Toasters show you mentioned.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I'm seeing Mighty Mighty Bosstones in DC tonight with my wife and some friends. It's my first time seeing them live, it's going to be awesome.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Less Than Jake just said they're playing at WROS fest, man check out this lineup:

http://wrosfest.com.br/lineup.htm

I guess it's mostly punk, but those lists of bands makes me want to go to Brazil.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Plus the 2 new Big D and the Kid's Table albums, that kickstarter is looking like it's going to get funded.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, these clips just sound like more Somewhere in the Between. Does Tomas ever plan on doing something new with the band's sound? If the album is going to be more of this, I'll be giving it a pass.

This is amusing, since any time a band tries something new with their sound, everyone freaks out and calls them terrible and asks why they don't do more of the same thing they always did (like RBF, Big D, LTJ).

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

An 8-bit version of Less Than Jake - All My Best Friends Are Metalheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52xsAufg5I

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Whoa, from streetlightmanifesto.com:

quote:

Hello Friends
So, somehow, we’ve made it to 2013.
The band you know as Streetlight Manifesto started as a humble recording project in a New Jersey basement 10 years ago. While we were working on our first record, we never could have imagined that the music we were putting together would start a chain reaction in our lives that would result in our traveling the world for a decade, playing in countries we only read about, taking on the lives of full-time touring musicians for, essentially, our entire 20′s. When we finished that first album, we had hoped to put on a local show to celebrate its completion. That show turned into a tour, that tour turned into a few tours and those few tours eventually turned into a lifestyle. For 10 years now, Streetlight has been one of the biggest parts of our lives.

Today, it’s time to announce to our fans and friends that we’re turning the last page of this particular chapter of our lives. We’ve solidified plans to tour our well-traveled asses off for one last year, until the end of 2013, at which time we will be not necessarily be moving on from the band, but changing our approach to what we do with the majority of our time. More specifically, we will no longer be touring year round, nor will we be touring much at all anymore. We have decided to step away from the table before we get sick of our favorite meal; we’ve seen enough bands over the years grow old playing the same songs for decades, going through the motions, slowly fading, and more depressingly, continuing on for all the wrong reasons. We’re moving on to preserve what we created, to be able to look back on it proudly, before we find ourselves looking around and realizing that we’ve become what we swore we’d never be. In the last few years, we’ve all hit the 30 year mark, and we’re ready to try some new things; some of us are ready to do a little bit of the ol’ settling down, some of us are excited to pursue different musical avenues, and some of us just want to live a slightly less hectic lifestyle. We’re doing this now for all of these reasons, not to mention 10 years is nice, neat chunk of time to devote oneself to something before moving on. Doing this next year, at 11 years wouldn’t be nearly as dramatic, nor as poetic.

As for our actual plans for the future, this is what we have in mind: No more long tours and no more year round traveling. BUT! Streetlight is not actually breaking up, and we have no plans to ever do so, really. As of now, we still plan to play festivals, both in the US and overseas, occasional one-off shows here and there and even sporadic short-run tours. Hell, we may even do an extended tour a few years from now, who can say? One thing is certain, though: we will still make music together. We’ve recently submitted an album (The Hands That Thieve) to the record label we’ve been under contract with since the beginning, and with that, we are now free of a very contentious, very unhappy relationship (you may have heard, ha!) that has caused us much frustration and anguish over the years. We have no plans to ever sign with another label and we will happily continue to release records, on our own and on our own terms. Who knows, maybe now that we won’t be touring all the time, we can squeeze out records a bit faster than our usual snail’s pace.

SO! Today we announce The End Of The Beginning Tour, a multiple leg outing that will last until the end of the year, sort of like our last hurrah before we settle into Streetlight’s new mode. We’re doing two short runs in Europe (one in the UK including the Slam Dunk Festival shows and one on the mainland including Groezrock and Monster Bash), playing at this year’s Skate and Surf Fest, squeezing in a few college shows, then we’re heading across the USA in June for the first of two domestic tours. The first one is the shorter, smaller city leg, to be followed by a massive 6 week major city tour in the fall/winter, after which we will be bidding you all a semi-farewell. We will be announcing more legs and more shows as the year progresses. To be honest, we will likely never play the majority of the places we’re playing this year again, so come out for one or two last hurrahs with us. We’ll be playing the classics, new songs, acoustic and alternate versions of songs, you name it. We can pretty much guarantee we will do our utmost to make these last shows be some of the greatest of our 10 year existence. We are proud of what we’ve done, and more importantly HOW we’ve done it, and we plan on holding ourselves to that high standard throughout this year and onward.

So, enough rambling; we need to cut this short before the waterworks start. In closing: We are done being a full-time touring band, but not done as a band. Also, this can never be said too many times: we can’t stress or repeat enough how grateful we are to all of you for enabling us to live this life for a decade; to travel the world, to see and experience all that we had access to because of Streetlight has been the gift of a lifetime. Thank you, thank you, thank you. See you at the shows!

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Kill Lincoln said on their Facebook page that they're also playing that show. I'm seriously looking into what it would take to go to this.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

EGSunBro posted:

So some of my friends dragged me to a Ska Prom earlier this week, and now I found myself really digging the music. I know Streetlight Manifesto is the go to ska band, and I've already bought and really enjoyed Somewhere in the Between, but what else should I look into as a new ska listener? I've been trying to find stuff from the bands that played that night, but they are all generally too small to have record deals, except Waffle Stompers, but I already grabbed their stuff.

I'm working through the OP and looking into some of the band there, but generally just a big list of names is kinda imposing to work through and I don't want to blindly stumble around a new genre.

In an effort to not just list a whole bunch of bands I like, I'll just let you know that I've recently been listening to a lot of Edna's Goldfish. They have 2 albums, both are decently different but still ska.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Awesome OClock posted:

I was under the impression that FIF broke up years ago, then I googled and saw that they're back together. For the first time, I'm regretting being on the east coast.

My wife and I had an agreement when they got back together that if they ever played east of the Mississippi, then we would go see them, so we traveled to Detroit last November. It was totally worth it. It was there that Reese told us they were coming to Virginia, so we went to their show at Virginia Theological Seminary in April, also totally worth it. If you get a chance to see them, you should do it.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I just listened through the new Stomp album by Big D and the Kids Table, I was digging it. I particularly liked "poo poo Tattoos" and "Pitch 'n' Sway" on the first listen, but the rest were good. I'm looking forward to hearing Stroll. Anyone else get an email this morning with a link to listen to it?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I think their first album is kinda boring, the EP is quite good, and My New Obsession is one of my favorite albums of all time. But pop-punk with synths and keyboards is my favorite genre of music.

I've never listened to the Hippos, are they any good?

"Forget The World" is a good album, I think my favorite song off of it is Please. I also like "Heads Are Gonna Roll", but FTW is probably more ska.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Beowulf posted:

Oh poo poo, Reel big fish just announced November tour dates with Five Iron Frenzy. And none of those shows are near me

Aww yiss, my wife and I are changing our travel plans so we'll be around for the Silver Spring date. Both of those bands are really fun live, that should be a great pairing.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I'm seeing Streetlight on Sunday, and we just saw RBF/FIF last night in MD. It'll be a good ska concert week. At the RBF/FIF show, we were digging the opening band, Beebs And Her Money Makers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5GgedEvWQ

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Captain Trips posted:

Sweet mother of god, Friday night is Reel Big Fish, Suburban Legends, and Beebs.

Beebs is awesome, saw them last time they played with RBF and they're a ton of fun.

If anyone hasn't heard them, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MKPYuVeP1U

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Messyass posted:

I like the classics as much as the next guy, but is there anything new and interesting going on in ska? I haven't really paid close attention to the genre for the last couple of years.

Not sure if you meant new directions for the whole genre, or just new ska bands, but Kill Lincoln is "new", first album came out in 2011 and then had another last year: http://killlincolndc.bandcamp.com/

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

"Observations Of The Human Condition" by Survay Says is a good 2014 album.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

snackcakes posted:

Thanks for reminding me about Mad Caddies, I totally forgot that album came out and never got around to listening to it. I'm The Worst Ska Fan

You're not alone, I meant to pre-order it a long time ago but forgot, this topic just reminded me to pick up a few of the albums I had been putting off getting.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I was reminded that I forgot to pick up "Dirty Rice" by Mad Caddies last year, so I just grabbed it yesterday. I listened to it while working out so I wasn't super-focused on it, but it seemed like a solid album. I always felt like Mad Caddies were one of those bands that even if you don't like ska, you'd be hard pressed to not like them.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Songs from the new Kill Lincoln EP are up for streaming: http://jumpstartrecords.bandcamp.co...-to-good-advice

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

The Suspects are getting their original singer back: http://suspects.billgrady.com/2015/...chris-kendrick/

If you haven't had a chance to listen to The Suspects, they let you listen or download from their site: http://suspects.billgrady.com/music/

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

Debut album from boston ska/punk Poor Jeremy. It's pretty rad
https://poorjeremy.bandcamp.com/alb...always-be-worst

Thanks for sharing, I'm really liking this.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have you given the Mad Caddies a try?

Also give Kill Lincoln a listen: https://killlincolndc.bandcamp.com/

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

The thing for me regarding Streetlight is the unparalleled musicianship. Those dudes know how to play their instruments in a genre full of casuals.

Like don't get me wrong, I love the sloppy DIY attitude of Ska, but it's nice to hear a bunch of 1st chairs playing it sometimes.

The first time I saw Streetlight live, that was the thing that blew me away the most. I wasn't even dancing or singing for most of it because I was just listening to the horns play very intricate and fast-paced lines flawlessly, they really are great musicians.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I don't know how I never listened to Suburban Legends before, but they put on an amazing show last night. Great songs, high energy, random choreography, everything you could want in a live show.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Turns out Mephiskapheles is an opener for NOFX this week! I'm psyched to see them, although I'm curious how much of the punk crowd will dig them. It's weird, there's a ton of crossover between punk and ska, but also a divide. At least at live shows, most of the time people are cool with both, but sometimes they don't know how they should be dancing to one or the other.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Skappleton and Midwest Ska Fest, who is going?

What's the lineup like? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything specific about the lineup, let alone that it's actually happening, but maybe I missed something obvious.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Voodoo Glow Skulls are coming to Philly

Hopefully I don't have to work that night

Whoa, thanks for mentioning this, they're playing 3/26 in Baltimore. I've never seen them live, so I'm going to definitely try to make that show. Shame I can't come out west for their mini-tour with Buck-O-Nine.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Speaking of 10 year old albums, I just got my tickets to see Big D and the Kids Table play the entire Strictly Rude album in Baltimore, should be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Spaced God posted:

For some reason I thought Kill Lincoln broke up. Stoked to see that I'm wrong though

From what I understand, at least one of the guys moved to California and started up a side band (it might have been multiple members, not sure). They were sort of on hiatus for a couple years due to that, but just the past few months they've started playing a couple shows here and there on the east coast. I'm not sure if everyone moved back or if they just get together for the shows or what. Regardless, they always are a blast, so any chance to see them play should be taken.

«2 »