Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DRD posted:

I was at that Starland show. Is there any reason why Streetlight doesn't tour with ska bands? Most of the kids at that show were really disappointed in the opening bands.

I managed to catch Streetlight opening for the BossTones Saturday night but it was one of those cases where the planets aligned for a split second...I guess both bands had a show scheduled that night in Buffalo so they "merged" them. I'd really like to see a tour with the BossTones, Streetlight and another east-coast band like The Pietasters or Westbound Train. Part of the problem with Streetlight not touring with Ska bands is there really aren't that many ska bands left (for example, face it, RBF is a ska band in name only anymore) and of those that are left, Streelight's really the only one that tours nearly year-round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And what do you mean RBF is ska in name only?

Well...most (all?) of their new stuff sounds like they're just trying to get on top 40 charts, and the last time I saw them play they didn't do a whole lot of their old stuff. My point is, while they used to strictly be a ska band they've now moved on.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Bosstones have been scheduled to play with streetlight and everybody out in buffalo for a few months now. Did you see everybody out? I love those guys.

From the Streetlight news archive:

quote:

09.04.2008 | Buffalo Show NOT Cancelled, etc
Sorry for the confusion, but the Buffalo NY headline show is not cancelled. The show happened to fall on the same night as the Buffalo stop of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones reunion tour, so the shows were merged. Well, not really merged, so much as they added Streetlight to their bill (support from the SM tour won't be there)

And no, I didn't see Everybody Out...I was a half hour late getting to the venue and they were patting down everyone going inside, by the time I got to the door their set was finished and Streetlight was setting up.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 14, 2008

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A bit late but saw the Slackers last Friday.

Goddamn how had I not been to one of their shows before? 2 hour set in a small venue for $12 with a band with a stage show that rivals the pre-hiatus Bosstones. They're now on my "go to any show within driving distance" list.

e: although my wife and I were kind of :smith: when one of the opening acts asked the crowd if we'd like a Prince Buster song and we were two of maybe six people who cheered.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Toh Kay update - No hat, same shirt.

Same in Detroit -

Lighting was terrible for photography/video.

Paid $35/seat for "reserved", one of our seats was directly behind a support pole (the venue was in a basement) so I complained to the box office, they ended up giving us two seats in the second row, just to the right of Tomas.

Great show, first hour was back and forth between audience requests and Tomas' choices, then second hour was THTT. No special audience requests but it is fun to hear him struggle through older songs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Even though it technically contains a bunch of old B-sides they also recorded Medium Rare in 2008.

OTOH Streetlight has been touring pretty regularly - in addition to Tomas doing the Toh Kay tours - while being locked up in a bitter court fight with Victory.

In that same time span the Bosstones have done a handful of shows each year (they haven't done more than 20 shows in a year since 2008) since coming back from the hiatus.

All things being relative I'd look at it as a wash.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone in/within driving range of Cleveland, The Slackers are playing at the Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights tonight.

e: set was good but the crowd was terrible. One of the warmup acts was some lovely local Irish punk band (lovely even by Irish punk standards), whose crowd hung around after their set and was aggressively moshing and trying to start fights with everyone for the rest of the show.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 14, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

guppy posted:

I love the Bosstones but the new album just isn't sustaining my interest.

FWIW the Bosstones have always been a hit or miss band when it comes to album releases, and this was definitely the "miss" album after the hit that was The Magic of Youth.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Any idea if Mephiskapheles is with them for the entire tour?

They're going to be in town in mid-November but no mention on the SM or venue's websites.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone know of a (semi) professionally-recorded version of Dixieland Sick and Sad?

Obviously not going to find a studio version, but I'd like something recorded off of a venue's mixer board instead of someone's phone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fateo McMurray posted:

New Reel Big Fish continues to be not horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tsjw737BA

Had to hear it myself to believe it. Last time I saw them in concert they had this proto-top 40 thing going on and I had written them off entirely.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 27, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just found out about the BOTAR orchestra shows...having already committed to going to Brooklyn in May for Slackfest - the weekend after the BOTAR show in Chicago.

Despite getting to be too old for this kind of poo poo we're going to try doing both, assuming my wife is able to get time off.

Also if anyone's going to be in Brooklyn that weekend (5/17-5/19) I bought three show passes for the entire weekend, but we'll only be able to make it to Friday and Saturday (the earlybird weekend passes were $2 cheaper than just the nights we'd need.) If anyone's interested in the Sunday shows PM me, the tickets will just go to waste otherwise (e: free for the asking if that wasn't clear.)

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 11, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Kind of disappointed how much they cut out - including nearly all of the piano.

If you do some digging on the Streetlight subreddit someone ripped it and hosted it on Google drive.

Caught the Chicago show over the weekend. Not sure if it's been the same at other venues, but I don't think The Chicago Theatre is acoustically set up for large live bands. The sound got really muddy several times during the show, and aside from the parts of the arrangement where the orchestra was mostly or entirely playing you could rarely hear them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Posting live from Brooklyn.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Had to be the best show I've seen in a while. No poo poo heads trying to start fights or mosh. Small intimate venue. All three bands had keyboard. Haven't seen Westbound Train in over a decade. And I feel like bands give that extra 5% when playing in their home town vs whatever city they happen to be in on a given night while touring.

We'll definitely be back next year.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Goldfinger, Big D and Planet Smashers are playing HoB Chicago in August.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The 7th Guest posted:

if they're doing it in atlantic city the event may as well be dead

The Cleveland leg of the tour is at the Rock and Roll HoF.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The Slackers played a free show in Dayton, Ohio last night in a city park (show was OK - they had to keep the set list family/child friendly) and afterwards Vic & Disco Dave played an hour-long set at an afterparty they held to benefit victims of a string of recent tornadoes in the area.

A few selections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbM7NpsE-ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvwZ4isc7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgLxPX7DFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6lctgoIIAA

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I stumbled across this (ska-adjacent) album a few weeks ago - The Sound of '69.

Self-published collection of covers of popular songs from 1969, covered in the style of skinhead reggae by Jayson Nugent of the Slackers with several other collaborators - something of a who's who of second/third wave east coast ska: Robert Higley (The Toasters), King Django, Mike Drance (The Scofflaws), Todd Hembrook (Deal's Gone Bad), Stephen Jackson (The Pietasters), plus Slackers regulars Vic Ruggerio, Glen Pine and Dave Hillyard and a few others for whom this album is their only credited work.

Definitely worth the $7 at the above link if you're a cover song/album fan.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 8, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Deal's Gone Slack (Glen Pine with members of Deal's Gone Bad) is doing a mini-tour of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin in early-mid March.

I mean, if anyone is interested in this thread beyond discussing the lack of a new Streetlight album.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm really, really loving Goldfinger throwing up a couple videos for quarantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cQA6d3adPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rSYEoBMYM

The Slackers have been doing a series of solo videos on FB live and Instagram. There are several hours' worth if you're on either platform. Latest was Glen Pine cooking a pot of soup and playing/singing along with backing tracks.

guppy posted:

I'm hearing that there's something of a ska revival happening right now. I'm not sure I believe it, but there are definitely some bands that people (who aren't me) know about that I've never heard of, like Bite Me Bambi, which is composed of alumni from other bands, including Save Ferris. Are there new bands I should know about? Just about the last new releases I knew about were Less Than Jake's "Sound The Alarm" in 2017 and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "While We're At It" in 2018.

RBF had a release "Life sucks, let's dance" in 2018, Streetlight was supposed to be taking the year off from touring to work on a new project and The Slackers have been teasing something new (likely a new live album) since late last year.

Probably won't be seeing anything currently in the works until the pandemic ends though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wasted Days, quarantine edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_zixjQQdaE

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If anyone is hard up for a show The Slackers are doing another virtual concert, this time with The Pietasters and a few other acts - The Bar Stool Preachers from the UK, Catbite from Philadelphia and DJ Boss Harmony from LA.

The company they're using for production does a great job, the instruments and vocals are actually mixed instead of relying on a smartphone microphone, the stream doesn't cut in and out and there's no waiting around between sets. A steal for $10.

http://www.livefrom.events/theslackers

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bird in a Blender posted:

Saw Slackers and Green Room Rockers last night. So good to see live ska again.

Sup Slackfest buddy :hf:

A few selections from The Slackers shows last week - I took my friend's 15 year old, aspiring tenor saxophonist daughter to see them in Cleveland at the Grog Shop (this is how you get a fourth wave BTW) and then my wife and I spent a long weekend in Chicago for Slackfest.

Grog Shop Cleveland featuring Aggrolites bassist Jeff Roffredo filling in for Marcus.

Slackfest Night 1 featuring guest steel guitarist on Rider and Christine Keilor (I missed his name.)

Slackfest Night 2 with the same steel guitarist on You Must be Good & Dave's Friend. Also overtones on Bin Waitin.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The Slackers were featured for an hour on Rolling Stone's Twitch channel:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1233470441

Starts at two hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Warbird posted:

Well drat, I never got a chance to catch the live. That’s a shame.

Honestly if you didn't see them pre-hiatus you didn't miss much.