Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Just got my vinyl copy of Vacation in the mail today. I'm liking the album a lot, but a bit bummed out that there isn't even a tiny bit of ska in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Posted yesterday on the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' myspace page: "get ready."

Not a lot to go on, but possibly a reunion in the works?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

So my suspicions were confirmed. ASOB is in fact playing a show together.

Tickets will go on sale here on the 6th.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I bought three tickets as well! I have to drive from Ohio to see this show but it will be so worth it.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Beowulf posted:

Edit: Oh, sold out :( Any helpful goons willing to sell me an extra ticket to this? Sounds like an absolute blast.

I may have an extra ticket, but it'll be hard to say until closer to the show date. However, it sounds like they're planning on another show for the people who missed out on this one.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

If you missed getting tickets to the ASOB show at the Warsaw, the gang is planning on playing a show at a much bigger venue the day before.

Tickets go on sale Saturday. At this rate in a few weeks they'll announce that they're on the list for this year's Warped Tour.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Gogey posted:

Oh jesus do I want to go to both? :ohdear:

I'm going to be staying in NYC for the whole weekend regardless, so I'm definitely going to both.

EDIT:

Beowulf posted:

can't explain how much my discovery of that band has amazed me. It's like the best thing since I found out Op Ivy existed.

Yeah, I might catch some poo poo for saying this, but ASOB is probably my favorite ska band to ever exist, so this random reunion show is loving ill. I saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor last year and that show won't even come close to how awesome these shows will be.

Misc fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 17, 2012

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I went to my first iPod show last year and there were about five other people at the show, and maybe one other person who knew who BTMI! was. Jeff and I talked about the New York Knicks and rocked the gently caress out for an hour and it was excellent.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I really appreciate that they had some of the little touches from the Batman television show (which also airs on the Hub, coincidentally) like seat belt shots and convoluted computer-ing.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I'm going to have an extra ticket for the ASOB Warsaw show (Sunday) that I could give to one of you guys if you want to meet up with me beforehand. First person to call dibs gets it.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The best part about seeing Bomb the Music Industry! live is that everything is just an inch away of turning into a mess but it's super awesome because of it.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I hope they re-record Dear Sergio for the new album.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Jeff Rosenstock solo album/demo compilation thing: http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur061.htm

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

aricoarena posted:

and that album, production wise, just sounds like complete poo poo.

Seriously, How It Goes was either recorded or mastered very poorly. Lots of clipping and uneven mixing.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

On another note: Reel Big Fish just put out a new video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2mpOiUUmc). I really think they do their best work on instrumental songs. They are usually one of my favorites from any given album.

This track is One Step Beyond as gently caress.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

e2: i recognize no one but aaron

I'm pretty sure that's still Dan playing the trombone.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, these clips just sound like more Somewhere in the Between. Does Tomas ever plan on doing something new with the band's sound? If the album is going to be more of this, I'll be giving it a pass.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

ObsidianBeast posted:

This is amusing, since any time a band tries something new with their sound, everyone freaks out and calls them terrible and asks why they don't do more of the same thing they always did (like RBF, Big D, LTJ).

In Reel Big Fish's case, Cheer Up is easily their best album.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

It's okay, I guess. There's some moments of new ideas here and there e.g. "If Only for Memories", but largely this album sounds like outtakes written for Somewhere in the Between but performed in the style of 99 Songs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album sounds like a quick followup recorded a year or two after Somewhere but it took six years instead.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

nerve posted:

It's so weird how two people can have totally different interpretations of music because I don't feel this way at all.

You're allowed to like the album all you want, it's not my intention to try to take that away from anyone. I wish I could like this album more than I do, my friends and I used to follow them on tour during the Everything Goes Numb era and they played some of the best shows I've ever been to. But just consider for a moment that in 2005, Bomb the Music Industry! released Album Minus Band, then after a six year period released something so radically different and much more mature in aesthetic and production that you'd have a hard time believing they were by the same artist. You can tell that behind the music there is a person who has their own taste in music and those tastes are constantly changing and shifting in interest; you could easily make a comparison with the 'Mats earlier material compared to their later stuff. Whereas with Streetlight, there's this whiff of stagnation. They just keep coming back to the well for these token anthemic, mid-tempo gang-vocal cheers with loud-quiet dynamics, or the slow-starting tempo builder that peaks as a jaunty punk tune featuring a horn line reminiscent of "Point/Counterpoint" (2:13 for "One Foot," 2:37 for "Your Day"), itself reminiscent of "Keasbey Nights". It's become so formulaic to me, and I'm starting to get bored.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Except for the part where it's Sum 41's "Fat Lip" for absolutely no reason.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Deargodalion posted:

So, I have heard that Fluent in Stroll is one of the worst Big D albums, which is the best? I have only ever heard Fluent in Stroll, there were a couple songs I liked on there.

The album you're looking for is the Gypsy Hill LP; it has their strongest material and is the best recorded and mixed of their discography. Good Luck is good, too.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I drove all the way from Ohio to see the ASOB reunion and if I don't do the same for this show I will be kicking myself for years to come.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

guppy posted:

Losing Streak is a little less well-produced. I love them both, personally.

I completely disagree. Hello Rockview sounds like it was recorded through a tin can. The worst you can say about the production of Losing Streak is that it's kind of uninteresting, sonically. I think we have this conversation once every six months.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

I would literally kill a man in order to be able to download this because holy poo poo. I love the original partly because of how rough it sounds but it's ten times better with a decent mix. There's so much more poo poo going on that you just couldn't hear before.

For the most part, the new mix and master is a vast improvement, but there's some hard guitar panning here and there that isn't ideal for headphone listening. Sounds great on some good speakers, though.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

This ska revival is getting nuts. I'm down with it.

It's been bugging me out seeing people suddenly wearing Op Ivy shirts and getting excited for bands that previously got yawned off Warped Tour, among other things. I'm not some "gently caress you, I still liked this when it was uncool" curmudgeon though, so I've been taking it as a good thing.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Other than that great Bruce Lee Band album that was quietly released, when was the last time Jeff has even so much as played a single upstroke on his guitar

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

Where does one hear those demos

Only demos from Vacation I'm aware of are the two on http://fuckthewinteriamhibernating.tumblr.com/

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

After the final BTMI show I've had a hard time returning to any of Jeff's stuff in general. I've either burned out on it or it reminds me too much of that particular era, not sure. Those two Kudrow records are still good listening, though.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

this sure is a weird modest mouse cover

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The next Streetlight Manifesto release will be an EP containing 5 different, new versions of "Dear Sergio"

e: and people will keep shouting for Mrs. Buttersworth at shows because there isn't enough other material to forget it

Misc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 3, 2017

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

Considering how bad 99SOR was, I'm glad it's over

Meet the new ska boss. Same as the old ska boss.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Huh. Fury of the Aquabats is 20 years old this year.

I kinda want something to come out of that.

What's Blink-182 doing right now besides skipping fake festivals? Someone get the Baron Von Tito a new rashguard and pair of Vans.

edit: I went to way more Streetlight shows than Bosstones in my youth (the hiatus didn't help). Even still I never find myself randomly humming a Streetlight tune like I do "Where'd You Go" or "Royal Oil". The Bosstones have had staying power through my life, man.

Misc fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 4, 2017

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I noticed Bad Manners records were finally added to Spotify (at least here in the States, no idea what the international scene is like with rights, etc). Haven't heard some of these tracks in a minute ever since I got rid of my physical collection.

Ska is good loving music.

Misc fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2017

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

*from the back balcony voice* MRS. BUTTERWORTH'S!

I will never stop asking, regardless of venue or crowd size.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

it'd be a way more exciting if the show featured any other original member of catch who is not tomas kalnoky. ansley's fretless bass is a pretty critical component in the sound of keasbey nights, as well as the raw energy and emotion of a group of high school kids recording a pretty ight ska record.

that revenge re-recording of keasbey is just the saddest thing

Misc fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

although i'm a hypocrite for the irreparable damage i've put on my vocal chords screaming "IF YOU HATE ME SO MUCH THEN STOP SINGING MY SONGS" at streetlight shows, thus egging on that whole thing.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

And who knows, maybe the big surprise is that SM and Catch-22 all get together for a big bang up at the show?

tomas kalnoky hasn't surprised anyone since the streetlight manifesto demo

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

I mean, I still hold out for an ASOB reunion. It doesn't help that Mike Park managed to get some good reunions together for the AMR fests.

my dude weren't most of us including you at the warsaw

e: or are you talking about a full sort of permanent reunion, cause wow there's no way that'd last!

Misc fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

turns out it wasn't absurdly hot and sweaty there, we were all just crying because they played "the guy from subway"