Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If it doesn't, you could always just buy it on itunes, and then use audacity to record it onto a file format you enjoy. It'd take some work but it'd get the job done.

VVV Ah, poo poo, I had no idea.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, speaking of BTMI!, you can buy Jeff's old house and be a part of BTMI! history.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I'm the only BTMI! fan who lists Goodbye Cool World as one of their favorite albums. While nothing tops Vacation, GCW just has so many great songs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Aquabats just shared this on their facebook page, figured some of you folks might be interested.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I'm the only one who prefers Stroll over Stomp. Stomp just sounds like generic run-of-the-mill ska to me. Nothing really stands out about it or seems unique about it. Maybe if I listened to it more it'd leave an impression on me, but right now I can't even remember any of the songs they all just kinda blend together into one bluh mess. I mean it's not bad, it's just... :geno: Stroll, while not super groundbreakingly good or anything, at least left more of an impression with me - Knife and Lynn Lynn the City of Sin both stuck with me as good songs, and I want to listen through it again to see what else will stick with me (since I was half asleep the first time I listened to it). The songs aren't all grea,t but at least they're all fairly unique and feel like they have some more effort put forth towards them. It isn't ska, but it's got a nice jazzy, reggae feel.

Granted, I'm one of the four people that enjoyed Fluent in Stroll, so.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got my mega bundle from Streetlight today. The shirts and hoodie are nice, but the two posters are really small and are honestly kinda awkward, but whatever. No cds but no surprise there. Speaking of the albums, Kalnoky likes writing stuff in the booklets about how he writes the songs, and his inspirations for each one - does anyone have a physical copy of THTT and knows if it has similar notes? Or has no one here bought one because gently caress record labels?

Also, after a few more listens Stomp has grown on me a bit more, there are some good songs there.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 21, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I heard them through pandora too, they seem pretty good and I've been meaning to grab one of their albums, but :effort:

If some others in this thread give some good recommendations I'll probably grab one.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Next Jeff summer song is out, check your emails. Haven't listened to it yet, but apparently it was originally supposed to be on a follow up 7" to "Everybody That You Love" so it's probably really really good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gabbleduck posted:

So what's the deal with the Summer Songs? Is their any digital release?

All I can find is this http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/jeff-rosenstock-summer-7-fun-club which is sold out.

That's it. It's basically what it describes - those that managed to buy it get a two-song seven-inch, and then digital downloads emailed to them of seven other songs. Both of the songs from the seven inch have been released, and three of the digital downloads have been emailed out. They said it'll be emailed out every two weeks, but it took about three weeks between the first and second songs. It was two weeks to the day between 2 and 3 though, so I guess we'll see if it keeps up!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
ANOTHER new summer song hit. Haven't listened to it yet, though. Personally I've been really enjoying the summer songs, they sound fairly similar to I Look Like poo poo, so I think if you enjoyed those songs you'd enjoy Summer.

E: And if you hate Eastern Coast or MCI then you hate fun.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 17, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was at the Boston show too, but bought tickets super late and wound up in the balcony :( Was a pretty fun show overall, even though there was a drunk dude behind me yelling about how much Dan P sucked.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm sad the Aquabats aren't doing any Christmas shows this year, those were always the best concerts. Hopefully their Christmas special will make up for it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wow, didn't think it'd sell out so fast, but I'm not really surprised. Happy I got mine! Like some other goons here, I'll be on my way there from Boston.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
And in further Mike Park and Jeff Rosenstock news, Bruce Lee Band is back!

http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/the-bruce-lee-band-community-support-group

And here, have a new song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJKs39HZxQ

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Reminder to people going to the final BTMI! show: bring along a blank white shirt in case they're spray painting shirts still.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

Last few times I saw them they weren't.

Aww :( When I saw them one of the last times they were in LA (a little over a year ago), they sprayed a shirt I brought in even though their stencils were broken. Wound up getting an extra custom shirt, which was neat. Even got it signed by Jeff! Glad I thought ahead back then, but I'll be bringing one along just in case.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It was a really really fantastic show. I can't wait for the recording of it. They even played King of Minneapolis pt. IV, which is my favorite song of theirs.

Don't suppose anyone has any extra of the shirts they were selling, or would be willing to sell theirs off? The ATM at the venue wouldn't accept my card, and I really wanted one of the shirts :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anybody have any clue on when the BTMI! final show recording is supposed to hit?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's the color of the vinyl itself. What are those colors? Jeff isn't saying!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

It's a studio recording of Point Keasebypoint.

Wait that's awesome actually

It's streetlight covering Mrs Butterworth

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So while having my entire library on random, I heard a song that was vaguely familiar but sounded pretty good! I looked and holy poo poo it was Catch 22, from their Permanent Revolution album that I had completely forgot existed. I remembered not liking this album very much, but maybe I was wrong? Nope, most of the songs still aren't very good, but there were a couple that were better than I remembered.

At any rate, what the gently caress happened to Catch 22? They haven't released anything since Permanent Revolution, and that was eight goddamn years ago. Their website is currently just a giant flier and hotlink to buy tickets to a concert from two years ago. :psyduck: The most I can find from them is their facebook, which has only had "hey go support our musician friend at this show" and "woo, 500 likes!" posts through the past two years as well.

I mean I know Streetlight basically stole the show from them, but I didn't think they'd just up and vanish like this. I would've guessed they'd at least announce they were splitting up or something.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Outside of Prologue, On the Black Sea, and maybe Epiloue I don't care much for it honestly, but maybe the rest of it will grow on me a bit after listening to it more after having forgotten about it! At any rate, does anyone know where they vanished to?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MondayHotDog posted:

Rad as gently caress. Speaking of, I got the new Bruce Lee Band LP today. It's got some fun songs.

I just got mine today too, and it's definitely great. Only listened to it through once so far, but not a single song that didn't give me a stupid grin on my face.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

lessthankyle posted:

Make sure to check out the secret messages on the record.

Getting a brand new BLB record fresh off the presses actually gave me a weird good feeling. Another one of those things I never thought I'd see.

The little etched notes in the record itself definitely was neat. I was lucky enough to get a poster, too!

(even though the quality on it seems kinda poo poo)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
JeffRosenstockLyrics.avi

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ever since my debit card wouldn't work at the final BTMI show, causing me to miss out on all the merch cus I didn't have cash, I've been really loose with buying band merch. I really regret not getting at least a t-shirt from that show, so I never wanna go through the pain of not being able to buy something again. This is how I justify spending money on a robe and teddy bear who nobody I know will even begin to understand.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My We Cool? megabundle just arrived in the mail. The Robenstock is quite comfortable, the stuffed bear is soft and punny (:h:Bears Again Alone:h:) and I totally forgot it came with a Polar Bear or Africa bottle opener, and a You, In Weird Cities sticker and vinyl cushion protector thing I dunno I don't actually have a record player.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Want more new Rosenstock despite the fact he literally just made a new loving album?

https://soundcloud.com/reallyrecords/jeff-rosenstock-nearly-midnight-honolulu-neko-case-cover

I think Jeff is physically unable to stop making music.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
He mentioned in an AMA that he doesn't want to do BTMI songs as a sign of respect to his band mates. He feels like if he played them he'd basically be saying "Hey I don't need you guys to play these songs, and I'm playing them even though we broke up and got rid of you guys"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seconding Westbound Train, they're really loving good. Transitions is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. The Slackers actually have quite a few songs that might fit your tastes, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15g9aXCfnE

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every couple months I remember that the pascal party recordings exists, and it never ceases to be great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Nobody ever lists Goodbye Cool World as their favorite. :smith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I hate that so many bands are releasing cassettes cis they may as well just be asking for me to donate to them - I can’t play the cassettes, and if a band doesn’t have any CDs or download links available it’s like they’re actively trying to get me to not listen to their music.

That being said, I instantly bought the Aquabats tape just cis it seems like a hard to find pickup. I have no idea how I’m going to listen to it. Time to hit up the local Good Will, I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nerve posted:

Can you seriously even find 5 examples of something that was only released on tape and not on CD or web?

I've been to a bunch of really small shows with bands that were good but had basically no online presence aside from a facebook page that never gets updated.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Somebody in Columbus is requesting that they do Combination Pizza Hut & Taco Bell.

I need to party with that guy

Two people have backed Albuquerque by Weird Al in Palantine, IL. :getin:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If anyone requests a Streetlight song, the universe may cease to exist as the two fundamental forces collide into each other.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

So when is his cover album coming out?

Then Jeff’s slow transformation into the Anti-Kalnoky will be complete.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fateo McMurray posted:

Remember their final tour?

Also remember when they stopped touring so they could focus on releasing music faster?

It’s been three years since The Hands That Thieve, we’re on track for another Streetlight album sometime this year or next, hopefully. That was the time between each of SitB, 99SOR, and THtT

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just realized it's been ten goddamn years since Catch 22 released an album. Jesus. I’m also surprised it’s been four years since RBF released anything.

fake edit: surprised RBF hasn’t released an album of covers of their own songs, in the style of 80’s music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember when they also said they'd be focusing more on releasing new albums now that their lovely contract was finally up?