Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Man, I wish had the kind of optimism Mike Park has. What a decent fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Man, that opening group vocal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Isorenieratane posted:

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some ska bands, I don't know much about ska but I wanted to get my brother a record or two for christmas. I think he likes third wave the most but likes other styles as well. Some of the bands he listens to are:

-Buck-o-nine
-The Toasters
-The Slackers
-Pie Tasters
-Goldfinger

If you could recomend me some similar bands that would be great! Thanks.

The Selecter.... Two-tone ska with a lady singer and rad as hell. Particularly Too Much Pressure.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Dec 13, 2013 around 00:40

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

guppy posted:

It appears to be virtually impossible to get the Selecter's Too Much Pressure as a download or even as a CD. I have no use for vinyl. What's the next best place to start?

It's available on iTunes if you dare, mang.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

guppy posted:

In the US? Not that I can find.

I live in Canada, sorry man, assumed it would be available. Try this http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=17203&

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

If a guy likes more "relaxed" ska, what would you guys recommend? Like, as an exmaple I love the songs "Royal Oil" by the Bosstones and "Brooklyn, Dancing Won't Solve Anything".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

Satori, Monkey, Deals Gone Bad, Westbound Train, Go Jimmy Go for more modern bands. For older bands check out The Specials, Madness and the English Beat.

I'm definitely familiar with the latter, but the newer ones, less so. Thanks muchly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

My god, By the Rivers are really fuckin' good. Vulture is a GREAT song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3jgOJ1dnU

Here's their bandcamp http://bytherivers.bandcamp.com/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hobbit posted:

I haven't heard a new band this good in a very long time.

It's amazing how polished they sound.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cut my XL Hawaiian into pieces/this is my last resort?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hobbit posted:

I've only heard a few scattered songs by them but I've liked all of them so far, but I guess never enough to buy their records.

I did recently pick up the By the Rivers album and had it on repeat for about 3 straight days.

That By the Rivers record is so catchy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LTJ and Big D are hittin' my town, gonna make an effort to go see it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread, just realized it, I am dumb

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Sep 29, 2014 around 23:30

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CDX posted:

Oct 25 - Cover Show! - Brighton Music Hall
Big D and the Kids Table - Operation - Ivy's Energy
The Planet Smashers - The Specials - self-titled
Destroy Babylon - The Clash - London Calling
The Warning Shots - Green Day - Dookie

Just FYI

Can I just say the Planet Smashers chose REALLY well. Goddamn.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Vacation was a good album that helped through a bad time.

This, right here.

Also, that slow songs suck poo poo is pretty dumb unless you are talking about like, NYHC.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

It looks like I'm seeing that terrific bill AV club is putting on w/ AJJ, Rosenstock, Smith Street Band, and Chumped in Minny on 3/28. Gonna be good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I kinda love the fact there's a band called "Popes of Chillitown".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Does Jeff play his version of Pulp's "Dishes" live, typically?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

aw gently caress was tonight the warsaw show with AJJ? I was busy watching college hockey what the gently caress is wrong with me they're just going to lose tomorrow, or win, what the gently caress does it matter sports are fleeting and jeff is forever

Nothing is forever dude

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

snackcakes posted:

I know that most of you don't need any convincing, but let me tell you a story about how great a dude Jeff Rosenstock is.

For background, one of my close friends considers Jeff to be one of her heroes. His music really influenced her over the years. So anyway, she was going to have a birthday party and was unaware that her boyfriend was planning to propose to her. He wanted it to be a grand surprise so he reached out to Jeff and asked Jeff to record a video of himself playing a song. The plan was at the end of the song Jeff would be like "Turn around!!" and the boyfriend would be there with the ring to do the whole proposal thing.

Jeff, being the raddest guy alive, agreed to do it. So I was asked what my friend's favorite song would be. I wasn't 100% sure but I I figured Sanawon would be a pretty good bet. I was just afraid that Jeff wouldn't want to play a Bomb song. He did it anyway since, again, he's loving awesome.

Fast forward to last night. The video gets played and she's loving stoked because there's a personalized video from Jeff Rosenstock playing her favorite Bomb song (Turns out it is Sanawon. Nailed it). The video comes to a close with a sign that says to turn around and everyone in the video yelling for her to turn around.

So yeah, she's engaged now and Jeff helped make it happen.

This is loving amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spaced God posted:

They popped out of my playlists. When I tried to play one I had queued up I got "This track is not available in the United States" so I dunno if it's just America or what.

But yeah, no matter what your thoughts on Tom are, no band deserves to get hosed by a label

Especially not Victory, who tend to gently caress people pretty thoroughly. Although I suspect there are stories from the major 90's alt-rock/punk boom that would put their tactics to shame. I'm sure Steve Albini knows a few.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jeff's doing a cool thing where if you bought a ticket to a show on the upcoming tour, you take a picture of the ticket to show you bought it for (with you in the picture), email an address with an attachment of the pic to the address he has on his tumblr/facebook, and request a song. Then, you can go to a google spreadsheet and see what songs were requested for that tour date. I requested "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" for the Toronto show.

Here's the the link to his tumblr if you're gonna partake http://greatmovieideas.tumblr.com/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I just realized that there's nothing I've ever waned more than to go to that NYC show and get Jeff to play a Bosstones song

gently caress, now I wish I'd asked him to play "Let's Face It".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

My idea was probably Hell of a Hat, 7 Ways to Sunday, or A Little Bit Ugly. I figure that those seem the most JEFF to me

Those would be cool too. I'm the only person who voted for the gig I'm attending so far, it'd be weird if I got what I wanted by default, but the show's not until 12/3.

Looks like he'll playing "Radio" by Alkaline Trio tonight unless an 11th hour vote comes in for "Angeles" by Elliot Smith or "Misery Business" by Paramore...

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2015 around 19:42

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ultimetalhead posted:

Ska lover checking in. I casually listened to some of the basic, entry-level bands back in high school and found it energetic and fun. Never really dove deeper until I started playing in a ska band in college. Since then I've gravitated towards much harder stuff with some ska-like elements (Choking Victim, Ninjaspy, Propagandhi, etc.), but you can totally win me over with a nice Skatalites record.

Also, Streetlight Manifesto. I know some people don't consider them ska because of the general lack of upbeats and fedoras but god drat what a band.

Have you given the Mad Caddies a try?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ Very few artists would sing a song about dancing on a prime minister's grave a couple of months after they died, but he did?

Did he have any reason for doing it?

Jeff's got a thing going where you send an email with a photo of you with your ticket, where you can request a song to cover. Most votes wins, tie broken by whoever it is in the band's turn it is his bassist's twitter is any indication

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I think Jeff's decency as a man motivates those who like his music to like him even more. I know that's how it works with my fandom. I can see how that grates on those who aren't interested. Conversely, if you're not into his stuff, the fact he's a nice guy probably doesn't much matter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at Jan 28, 2016 around 16:54

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tnimark posted:

At this show right now. It is extremely cool. Tiny, tiny pub venue in regional Australia.

That lineup rules, and I love the thing about aggressive dickheads not being tolerated

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris Farren looks smaller than I remember

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hahaha jesus christ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Today's Specials were the version of the Specials who did that super energetic cover of Pressure Drop, right?? I liked that. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the best part of that album, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is it Desmond Dekker that really, really hates gay people? Or am I thinking of Buju Banton

I definitely remember Buju Banton having some shows cancelled because of it, never heard anything about Dekker

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Could they not have just made a live record and called it a day? I mean, I get not wanting to give Victory the satisfaction, but who needs the headache?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I worry this erection may never go away

Just watch a Red WIngs game

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Yesterday the Streetlight facebook posted something along the lines of, "Today is a good day."

Maybe they didn't have to use their AK?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Never Get Tired is available digitally now for those of you who are Jeff fans

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Victory are cunts. That's the story. Streetlight wasn't the first band they hosed, and it won't be the last.

loving bands over is basically their business model, isn't it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

Yo I want that shirt.

Holla atcha boy https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/143058-bart-ska-mpson

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Isn't that a Portlandia reference?

I believe so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Worry is also a pretty high bar to clear, it's the kind of record a decade from now he can still be proud of

«2 »