Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dumbly Bumpkin posted:

Anybody that is near Madison Wisconsin, there is a Wisconsin ska showcase going on at the Freequency on W. Main St Friday night. There are 4 or 5 Wisconsin/Upper Mid-west ska bands playing for $5. My band, the 4 Aspirin Morning, will be headlining, with the Orpheus, the Crazy 88 and a couple of other bands.

We have been trying to rebuild some sort of punk/ska scene in Madison for over a year now, and are starting to make some really good headway. Stop out and show some support if you are in the area, hopefully we can get some more shows and start to convince local promoters) to bring in some bigger national acts.

4 Aspirin Morning

Orpheus

Crazy 88

Whenever I see your band all I can think of is 4th and Michigan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

^^^ e: i just didn't like it v:shobon:v no detraction from them.

i wanted to post them in that Amazing Bands No One Has Ever Heard Of thread but that required effort

They wouldn't fit in that thread anyway. The baseline for that was around 2k or fewer listeners on last.fm. BTMI! has like 85k.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Streetlight Manifesto's Everything Goes Numb is just as good or better than SITB. You can choose between Catch 22's Keasbey Nights or Streetlight's version of it, I prefer the original (Catch 22). Streetlight also has an album of covers called 99 Songs of Revolution that I enjoy but don't listen to like their original material.

In order my favorite of those 4 is EGN > KN > SITB > 99SOR, but the first three are all some of my favorite albums ever so it's really a tossup.

Tomas Kalnoky (lead singer, songwriter, guitarist of these two bands) also has an acoustic side project called Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution that you would probably enjoy very much. So far they've only put out one EP called A Call to Arms, but it's fantastic.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

dnz posted:

does anyone know when vacation comes out? all i know is its soon

They said on their site that you had to pre-order by the 10th in order to get everything out in time so hopefully very soon. Don't know if they've posted an exact date.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dundee McFluffers posted:

edit: Posted really old information. Saw BtMI post Savers on their Facebook and got excited and thought it was a new thing.

But speaking of Savers - is anybody else feel kind of disappointed with the track?

Wow. Yeah. I saw your post before you edited it and I agree, this is like the first BTMI track that I really really do not like. Only one listen so maybe I'll start to like it more but so far I am not a fan.

I do however love all the other tracks released from Vacation so far so I'm not worried.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
http://www.amazon.com/Vacation-Bomb-Music-Industry/dp/B0053TRRN6

Samples for every track

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

It's tough to make decisions based on samples but I am less than enthusiastic.

Yeah some of these samples sound...loving awful to me. Not going to judge the songs obviously they're just 20 second samples. Hope I like this album...

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Really love most of the songs. Couple of the Kudrow-esque slower ones I'm still not a fan of, though (which is weird because I like Kudrow and past slow BTMI songs). But I wouldn't be surprised it I liked them in a few more listens.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

dnz posted:

May or may not seem like an odd place to ask, but anyone know of music similar to Scott Klopfenstein's The Hilarious? I'm addicted to it and I don't think he's going to release an album any time soon...

I assume you already know about The Littlest Man Band and Pal. Pal isn't all that similar to TLMB or the solo stuff but it's Scott either way.

Maybe fun?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

dnz posted:

I know about TLMB, it's not really what I'm after but it's pretty nice. PAL is definitely... different. I'm more after high energy and chaotic rock stuff with some horns thrown in preferably.

Love your frag vids btw :>

This might not be your thing but it's what I thought of when I read your description

http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Eagle+s+Nest+Devil+s+Cave/3598305

Hope that link works

Also, thanks :]

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Do people really not get tired of that? I'd rather hear new material than covers. I guess I just don't "get it".

I love Kalnoky's work and for a long time Streetlight was by far my favorite band, but I've lost interest for this reason exactly. Dude needs to quit loving around with his old songs and work on some goddamn new material.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Apparently they're working on a third album. Like, halfway done as of this summer. Supposedly.

I've gotten to the point where a new album would make me really giddy, but I'm not waiting with bated breath for it, because I'd pass out from oxygen deprivation.

I'm really excited at the prospect of new material, but I also know that you can add like a year and a half to any release date Tomas gives.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Solidus posted:

I will admit I know essentially nothing about Ska but right now I'm the head of graphics @ Pentimento and RISC, the label and company started by Tomas Kalnoky of Streetlight Manifesto. I do pretty much everything from banner ads and print ads and websites to album art. All the advertising for that new Toh Kay album was done by me, and I did the art for the new Sycamore Smith album. I don't really have anything to say except uh, hey ska thread. The whole SM band has been in and out of the recording studio for the past month. I'm not sure what they're recording, but they've been there.

Well hey that's really cool.

Keep us in the know on any new Streetlight happenings!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

crazyvanman posted:

Amazon has samples up of all the songs on the 'new' Streetlight:

http://www.amazon.com/Streetlight-Lullabies-Toh-Kay/dp/B005R2S0FI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319042297&sr=8-3

Wow these sound extremely boring to me. Like he just completely half assed some acoustic covers so he could put out a new record.

C'mon Tomas make another brilliant album so I can idolize you again.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

TLG James posted:

Streetlight should do an x-mas album.

I don't give a gently caress what they do as long as they're originals

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ObsidianBeast posted:

Last night at the Streetlight Manifesto/Reel Big Fish concert in Baltimore, Tomas said their new album is 90% done. I've been told not to get my hopes up too high, but 90% sounds pretty good to me.

gently caress you for getting my hopes up

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hedgecore posted:

Hey, Bomb fans? Watch The Office tonight.

Thanks for the heads up. Cool stuff!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I think I was looking too hard for a cameo and missed what actually happened. Was it a Bomb song in the background?

Yeah, Can't Complain was on in the background during one of the pool scenes.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I am so loving excited for new Streetlight material. Please don't disappoint me Tomas, you fuckface.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DOOP posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this thought, but I enjoy Alone in the Crowd almost as much I enjoy Keasbey.

:stare:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Thank god. They better go through with it.

you should probably get out imho

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I have noticed a very unsettling trend of tours I want to see skipping a WI date.

Very excited for this album though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Jeff owns, BtMI! owns, ASOB owns, Kudrow owns, it all owns sorry

on the contrary, he should make all of the music forever

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about BTMI.
What a loving sick burn.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo I have given Tomas the benefit of the doubt so many times, but when you make an announcement for an announcement for the date of release, and you can't even follow through on that...

Just shut your loving mouth until you ACTUALLY know something for sure. Stop loving telling your fans that "After enough behind-the-scenes melodrama to keep a soap opera scripted for a few years, we finally got confirmation that we will be announcing the release date of our long delayed record "The Hands That Thieve" this Friday." when it isn't loving true.

I'm sure plenty of the blame falls on Victory, I get that, but my lord Tomas does not handle PR well.

Like I'm seriously loving astounded that this dude would say that, when a release date doesn't even loving exist yet. How does he not learn.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Scott was the best part of RBF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dexjYDtdqD8

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Mandala is the best Rx Bandits album and that was a fantastic band that got better with every release.

RIP

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i'd be pretty fuckin okay with thomas just bunkering down and making GBS threads out records and never touring

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

It's okay, I guess. There's some moments of new ideas here and there e.g. "If Only for Memories", but largely this album sounds like outtakes written for Somewhere in the Between but performed in the style of 99 Songs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album sounds like a quick followup recorded a year or two after Somewhere but it took six years instead.

It's so weird how two people can have totally different interpretations of music because I don't feel this way at all.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hobbit posted:

Seeing all of these varying opinions is really cool. Everyone likes something from the new SM album but so far no one has liked every bit of it. That may be the true genius behind the album.

I love everything Streetlight has done, every song on this album included.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
:forkbomb:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off
Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

Are probably the only three I'd say are absolutely essential listening.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shabadu posted:

May I also suggest RxBandits, but only if you listen to them in order and even maybe skipping Mandala because it's too different.

Progress-The Resignation-And The Battle Begun. It's a great progression from solid but typical Third Wave ska into a more progressive form. I love it all, but especially the Resignation. There's more than a hint of the Police in there.

Mandala is their best album so don't skip it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shabadu posted:

Yeah, my only caveat was that it's not ska. Still owns, but not quite as much as The Resignation for me, Never Slept so Softly pulls on my feels so hard.

RX Bandits stopped making ska after Those drat Bandits. e: Actually Halfway Between Here and There. Forgot that album exists.

I can pretty confidently say RXB is a band that got better with every album.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

I have nowhere to put a record player, also I need my nerdcrack.

Are you homeless?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seein Streetlight on Saturday. Worth the drive to Grand Rapids to get to see them on the final tour.

Wish I could afford to go to the NJ shows but alas.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm so glad they played With Any Sort of Certainty and Oh Me, Oh My on Saturday. Man that was such a great show, well worth the drive. Only wish they played Receiving End of it All but can't have everything I want.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Getting into Big D via Fluent in Stroll is like getting into RX Bandits via Mandala or Green Day via 21st Century Breakdown

poo poo is rear end backwards. Not that its your fault but I can't think of a worse album to start Big D with.

Mandala is so incredibly out of place in this

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Grandmaster.flv posted:

How though? Its a complete departure from their previous body of work.

Well I'd say that all of their albums before that were moving towards and it wasn't just a complete departure, but the main reason was that it's actually a good album unlike the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
MRS. BUTTERWORTH