Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Ska bands understandably hate Florida :negative:

There's the odd ska band, but most tours don't come here. (Or at least in my neck of the woods).

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

Hooray, I have a new Aquabats inspired username. Nobody outside this thread will understand.

I think TuesdayTaco would have been better :colbert:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

This is all lies. All of it. There will never be a new Streetlight album.

It'll just be covers of their older songs.

But really, this is awesome. May go see them in Orlando in October!

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Listened to Jeff's new album on the way to classes today, I like it. Typical DIY stuff from him, but that stuff tends to be really good most of the time.

EDIT: Although listening to Jeff sing in japanese was a bit silly

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 24, 2012

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
That was amazing :allears:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

rear end Catchcum posted:

New Streetlight within the next 4 weeks, right?

Of course :laffo:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Some new stuff about the new Streetlight album:

Tomas posted:

Long time, eh?

So this is the time when we should be shipping out all the pre-orders for "The Hands That Thieve" and "The Hand That Thieves" but as most of you who have been posted next to your mailboxes have figured out - it hasn't shipped yet. "Streetlight, is there a silver lining amongst all this placating?" you ask - and the answer is - YES.
The album has been mastered and as proof - today we proudly provide you with the first of many samples of the new Streetlight Manifesto record. Here are two, minute-long clips of two songs that you'll hear on "The Hands That Thieve".
The release date is currently up in the air, though.
When we hear from Victory Records about when they'll be releasing the album, we will be right there to let you know. We hope to know the release date within a week or so.
We understand patience has been worn thin but we stand by this record and the work that has gone into it with such unwavering aplomb that our excitement should match yours when you hear the samples. But at the same time, we understand that you've all been very understanding with us and our delays, and deadlines that have come and gone, that we would like to compensate you accordingly. With every single pre-order (from the RISC Store) of the new album of any size (from the CD by itself to the Mega Bundle) we will be including a free live EP CD that we recorded on the "Hands That Thieve Tour" last fall. The free live EP will be an exclusive RISC Store gift and is the only professional live Streetlight Manifesto recording to date.
So once again, thank you for your continued patience and we hope this acts as an appetizer before the feast is served. Keep your napkin on your lap.

Here are the two samples:
https://soundcloud.com/pentimentomusic/sets/streetlight-manifesto-thtt

I think it sounds pretty solid between those samples and some live videos posted earlier in the thread. Plus since I preordered the CD back in October, I'm pretty excited about the professional live EP too.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I was the same way as your friend. I'm a pretty big jazz fan and Streetlight was my first intro to ska. I really dug the horn parts, but something I couldn't stand for the longest time was Tomas' voice. I found it way to harsh and grating, and frankly thought it was terrible.

Really, I can't think of any singers in Ska bands that are spectacular. But eventually I realized that whether or not a singer is good doesn't really reflect on whether or not the band is awesome and most of the time the style of singing really compliments the music.

The Bosstones are a prime example of that. They are an amazing band and Dicky Barrett's gravelly voice compliments them too. Even BTMI! is like that with Jeff's style.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

I missed this, and it seriously rules.

Also, I don't know if you guys have heard of them before, but I heard a couple songs by the German band, Stan or Itchy. They're pretty great, and rather reminiscnet of Save Ferris' style (as well as because they too have a female frontman).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIRGSujokXA :nws: for censored boobs in a few frames

Their albums are all free to stream on their website as well.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Gabbleduck posted:

I interrupt your regular broadcast for SKA POP COVERS!

http://theholophonics.bandcamp.com/album/maskarades-vol-1

These guys are really funny. They have volume 2 and it's all xmas songs and the last one "12 Nights of Skanukkah" is one of the funniest songs I've heard in a while.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

That trombone part rules :fap:

I'm pretty excited for April 30th to come

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Hobbit posted:

Am I missing something? Did the album ship early?

yeah seriously, I thought preorders shipped around the 30th?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Volt Catfish posted:

Okay since we're kinda talking about Streetlight again can I buy THTT from the RISC store yet? It still says pre-order, but it seems to be available physically on Amazon and I'm so confused and dumb help.

It IS available on amazon and the like through Victory

But if you want to have a physical copy with the money going straight to the band themselves, no they havent released any preorders yet. It probably won't be for a little while either

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

I love Solo Jeff almost as much as I love BTMI Jeff

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Gabbleduck posted:

You know they're serious when they tell you to pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.

yeah thats not what they're saying

listen closer for the magic word

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
So both of the new Big D albums came out yesterday and I was listening to them on the bandcamp.

Stomp is pretty solid, but I don't think it's anything special. I kinda like Stepping Out and Pinball bu the rest are kind of mediocre.

Stroll I don't like so much. None of the songs really stick out to me and it reminds me more of Fluent in Stroll than anything else and that album was pretty bad.

I'll probably end up skipping on buying either of these to be honest

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I actually kinda enjoy several of the songs on Fluent In Stroll for whatever reason. It's kind of my guilty pleasure album :blush: I particularly like 'Been Wishing On'.

But in terms of their best, I always liked 'How It Goes' which has some of their biggest hits like 'My Girlfriend's on Drugs' and 'L.A. X'.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Anyone get their second A Very Rosenstock Summer mp3 yet? :( I liked the first one so much, now I can't wait.

He released this for free a few days ago. it's pretty good, I like it a lot.

Not sure if that's what you're talking about because I didn't buy the vinyl since I have no need for one.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
yo is it worth going to a supervillains concert? its free admission and like 20 mins away, but im not a huge fan.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

nasboat posted:

am I crazy or was the original Streetlight THTT bundle supposed to come with an autographed piece of artwork (maybe just the album cover) by Tomas?

Kinda. I dont think the poster was signed but i still would have liked mine

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

I like The Impression That I Get and Someday I Suppose. :shrug:

Grandmaster.flv posted:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Olibu posted:

Maybe Special Guests means a Goldfinger that doesn't suck.

i went to a free goldfinger show years ago and they played both superman and their cover of 99 red balloons in the first 10 minutes and then i went home because thats all i cared to see

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Holophonics released another cover album of pop songs that's kind of fun I guess.

http://theholophonics.bandcamp.com/album/maskarades-vol-3

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
A guy in this thread linked a spotify playlist he made once which fits what you want for the most part.

Relax, it's Ska playlist

It's mostly second wave I think but it has a bunch of good artists/songs.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

I took a photo

edit: I took 2

my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS