Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got back from seeing the Bosstones. They were amazing. Played a ton of songs from their entire library. No "Hope I Never Lose My Wallet" though :(. As they played the last note of their song the banner they had in the back dropped to reveal a banner of Obama with the word "Dream" under it. All pretty badass.

And then the Murphys came on and told us they were recording the show for a new live cd! I can't wait to go again tomorrow and saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Sorry. Return to your discussion about SM/RBF/LTJ/Big D for 20 pages.

Fateo, do you notice that the Murphys shows seem to be getting less and less fun? There are just too many people there the last show I went to and it was impossible to get an actual pit going.

While I do agree that the big shows are less fun then the smaller ones, there was no problem getting a pit going. There were 2-3 pits going during their set almost all the time. Now bear in mind this was an outdoor show at the baseball park so the "floor" area was huge and it fit maybe 1,500 people.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I do agree that the "bros" at the DKM shows are horrible. I've been elbowed enough times in the past two nights to last a life time. I managed to grab a setlist from the Bosstones though and a plaid scally cap, so all is good.

Bosstones set for Friday:
Noise Brigade
Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
The Rascal King
Where'd You Go?
Illegal Left
Simmer Down
He's Back
Katie
Someday I Suppose
Dr. D
Everybody's Better
Rudie Can't Fail
Old School Off The Bright
Royal Oil
Let Me Be
Hell of a Hat
I'll Drink To That
1-2-8
Desmond Dekker
Cowboy Coffee
Holy Smoke
The Impression That I Get
The Impossible Dream

Dicky said they were gonna vary the set each night for the people coming to all 3 shows. :)

edit: And if the Bosstones set consisted of Hell of a Hat, Hope I Never Lose My Wallet, and Dr. D I would be forever happy.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 12, 2008

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Obama banner is no worse than bands with "gently caress bush" (seems like now-a-days every band has one) songs. And "Where'd You Go?" has been confirmed to be in Rock Band 2. gently caress yes they picked an awesome Bosstones song and not The Impression That I Get.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hawkstein posted:

I figure I should ask before I do it: Is it OK If I plug my band's tour in this thread?

Yeah sure go right ahead. Gimmie some ska to listen to.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gerfatty posted:

I gotta ask, was anyone else disappointed by the Bosstones when they came around? I saw them in LA back in March, and I just wasn't really impressed. I'm just as big a Bosstones fan as the next guy, and I'm not one to stand back and watch the band, so I was giving it my all dancing-wise, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the fact that my favorite album by theirs is Question The Answers, so I was expecting somewhat of a more crazy punk-over-ska situation that never really materialized. They just felt too...produced for me. I was never lucky enough to see them before they went on the indefinite hiatus, so maybe they've always been like this?

Another thing, I was easily in the top 1% age-wise. I'm only 20 freaking years old, I'm not supposed to be stared at like the creepy old guy. Granted I have a beard, but still. What the hell? Am I just too old for ska shows now? I just wanted to dance... :confused:

They are amazing out in the New England area. Seen people of all ages at the new shows. I'd just say you were unlucky. They played a fair number of songs off Question The Answers last time I saw them. Kinder Words, Hell Of A Hat, Toxic Toast, and Dogs And Chaplains.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Yeah, the Murphys made the crowd average older. Ska generally skews young, though.

Ska yes, but the Bosstones? After not touring for so long you think there would be much more old fans coming to the shows than new younger fans.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gerfatty posted:

Yeah I don't really know what the deal was. That's what I was expecting as well, not so much the typical high school ska crowd. I'm just lamenting the fact that apparently I'm officially too old to be into ska.

The age that Ben Carr is when he stops dancing on stage is the age that, when reached, you will be "too old for ska". Not a second before.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Goddamn, this is making me regret seeing Against Me! over Oreskaband. All my friends wanted to see AM! and I didn't want to see Oreskaband alone. I didn't even get to see all of Reel Big Fish's set, a friend of ours was crowd-surfing and landed on her back in the middle of a pit.

Wow if she managed to crowd surf into the middle of the pit before she fell she has some skill.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

As long as I have many songs where I can pretend to be Joe Gittleman the Bass Fiddleman I'll be happy.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Once RB2 comes out I'm going to start an online Bosstones band. We need a a Dicky Barrett, a Lawrence Katz, and a Joe Sirois to round out the band. Accepting sign ups now.

edit: and you should be able to play your instrument on expert.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 18, 2008

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Maybe it's just me but I think Big D is a pretty lovely band.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

xdirtypinkox posted:

Have you heard Strictly Rude yet?

I used to have this same idea but Joe Gittleman from the BossToneS was the one who produced this record and did a fantastic job.

Yeah and I've seen Big D live opening for DKM back in March and I thought they were pretty bad then. Everybody Out, who played before Big D, was so much better than them.

edit: Gave Shining On a listen and didn't like it. Guess they just aren't my thing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My version is only 1:06 and fades out toward the end. :( Dammit I guess I hosed up when ripping it from the cd many years ago. I looked on the itunes store and their version is also 2:33. The live version is only 2:26, so I don't think it's missing anything.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm driving down from Boston to see the Starland show. It helps tremendously that I have friends in Brunswick to crash with (not that a 3 hour drive is painful in the least)

You think that now. But after a night of dancing and sweating and maybe some drinking, a long drive like that is painful. After seeing the Bosstones and Murphys up in Portland the drive back to Massacusetts was horrible. I was so sweaty and tired I just didn't want to drive at all.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

SinSalvador posted:

Let's pray to God he doesn't try out the acoustic thing again.

The Album can be called "99 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again" :haw:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Isn't that :filez: or is the cd free or something?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Geoj posted:

I managed to catch Streetlight opening for the BossTones Saturday night but it was one of those cases where the planets aligned for a split second...I guess both bands had a show scheduled that night in Buffalo so they "merged" them. I'd really like to see a tour with the BossTones, Streetlight and another east-coast band like The Pietasters or Westbound Train. Part of the problem with Streetlight not touring with Ska bands is there really aren't that many ska bands left (for example, face it, RBF is a ska band in name only anymore) and of those that are left, Streelight's really the only one that tours nearly year-round.

The Bosstones have been scheduled to play with streetlight and everybody out in buffalo for a few months now. Did you see everybody out? I love those guys.

And what do you mean RBF is ska in name only?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

The only way I could see LTJ play is if I had a written guarantee that they'd do Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore, Scott Farcas, and Johnny Quest
One of those is pretty easy to guarantee but I would require all three

I don't think I've been to a LTJ show (even a warped tour one) where they didn't play those three songs.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Seriously people who care what other people are wearing at concerts are douchebags and you shouldn't care what they think. Who the gently caress cares what you're wearing, just enjoy the music.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

I know this is SA and all, but that's a pretty lovely thing to say in a thread about something with as strong a record of anti-discrimination politics as ska.

Awww it's ok. My sister liked N'Sync too. :shobon:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

:fap::fap::fap::fap:

Need more info on this

goddamn yes we do

edit: "Lately we have been busy writing and recording music for a new MMB record. Two of the songs, "Impossible Dream" and "next To Nothing" will be released next month on a limited edition 7" on our own Big Rig Records (500 on black, 500 on white). We added these two songs to the player TONIGHT in order to commemorate and celebrate this historic election. Enjoy!"

From their myspace. I really like the new songs, and will definitely be picking up the 7".

Now if only I didn't work retail this year I might be able to go to a throwdown show. :( But they won't let me have the week after xmas off. Dicks.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 13, 2008

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Wait, Warped Tour isn't going to suck this year?

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/bands.asp

Going for Streetlight, Big D, Bad Religion, NOFX, Westbound Train, Less Than Jake and Flogging Molly.

Bad Religion, Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Streetlight Manifesto. Sold. Just needs more Street Dogs.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know what's up with this possible Bosstones release? Punk News has an album up called "Impossible Dream/Next To Nothing"

Oh, I guess it's a vinyl, that's why I can't find it for sale anywhere.

http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=163641&

I've already bought mine

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I'm seeing them the next day, and Somwhere in the Between is definitely the better album

No he's right Everything Goes Numb is definitely better, but they are both excellent.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Didn't see it mentioned and forgive me if it had-

Streetlight, NOFX, Big D, Less Than Jake, Flogging Molly, The Ataris, Bad Religion, and Anti-Flag( last half are punk but I've never met a ska fan who wasn't a punk fan) are gonna be on Warped Tour this year. Hopefully they're spread evenly so you can have an entire day of ska/punk.

Makes it worth wading through all the hardcore and metal kids to see.

Also, anybody else disappointed that RBF's new album is all covers?

Replace the ataris, anti-flag, and big d with the bouncing souls and you got yourself a kickass show.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Hey, I like Big D <:mad:>

I'm from the Boston area and love ska so I should like them too, but I could never get into them. Even saw them open for The Bosstones last year and felt it was eh.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

It doesn't help that the lead singer's voice sounds like someone scraping nails on a chalkboard.

Yet I love Dicky Barrett :confused:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Dicky Barrett has a voice that is as rough and gravelly as an unfinished road, which is unbelievably badass, but the singer from Big D sounds like he's swallowed too much helium.

While scraping nails on a chalk board? ;)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Yes they do. Who are they? Why are they covering my favorite songs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0JVO0MU8A is also kickass. I love world/inferno

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

I'm going to see the Utters here on Sunday :dance: I'm super excited. Oh, and I guess the Street Dogs are playing too, that's cool, I guess.

The Street Dogs are goddamn amazing. One of my favorite bands.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Since B is for B-Sides came out I don't think I've seen them when they didn't play Bridge and Tunnel Authority.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Went to that Street Dogs/Swingin' Utters show tonight, had an absolute blast. Went for the Utters, but the Street Dogs loving killed. If my ears ever stop ringing, I'll be seeing them when they come back to town.

I told ya they were loving amazing. I'm just pissed they aren't stopping in MA on this tour :argh:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Yeah, you were right :) But... seriously? The Street Dogs aren't playing in Boston, or even elsewhere in their home state? That's just surreal.

Which is what angers me more. I'm would have had to go to Maine or RI to see them, and that's a trek for someone in north central mass. Now I'll definitely drive to Providence for Bosstones and Street Dogs (NYE 2 years ago woo), but not just for Street Dogs

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Hope I Never Lose My Wallet

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta Go!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Simmer Down

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Illegal Left live at Riot Fest

Also what's with all these hockey fans liking ska too?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Something's wrong with the liner notes on my Somewhere in the Between vinyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If this isn't cool I'll remove it, but seeing as it was posted by a moderator on the official Bosstones boards they must be ok with it right?
http://www.bosstonesmusic.com/newbboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2693

A ton of b-sides, rarities, bootlegs, etc.

Basically stuff you can't buy.