Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Gettin in on this ska action. Definite favorite is RBF, saw them twice this year and they blew it out of the fuckin park both times. Their pits have generally been very friendly and open to skanking/etc assuming there's room. Saw LTJ and people were loving punching in the pit. It was a disaster. guess it didn't help that it was on a tiny ferry..

What's your guys' opinion on Streetlight? I saw them live twice with RBF and didn't stay until the end both times =/ Their music is so fast-paced, it's hard to dance to, and the crowds are obnoxious 16 year olds and really wasn't crazy about it. I mean, I love jamming to them in the car but seeing them live really didn't float my boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Volt Catfish posted:

I think Everything Goes Numb is one of my favorite albums ever :allears:

I mean I usually really like their music, but seeing them live was disappointing, and so was 99SoaR :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

If you can get over not skanking in the pit with the kids they are loving fantastic live. Energetic and on-point with the music (which is pretty drat impressive, they have some really complex horn parts)

Yeah I suppose. I wish I had some more opportunities to see awesome ska around here, but I haven't seen anything really. I'm REALLY upset I missed Suicide Machines opening for H2O and the Descendants back in October. Stupid NYC traffic :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Pandora radio just graced me with the awesomeness of the Hippos. Gotta love it!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

They posted about this on Facebook awhile ago. So glad to see it's true :) Their acoustic album was pretty awesome. Really, they can take my money any day. Love them.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Just wanted to say this thread has introduced me to the awesomeness that is ASOB. Just downloaded two of their CDs and donated them some moneys because holy crap they're good. Definitely trying to drag some friends to see them in May.

Edit: Oh, sold out :( Any helpful goons willing to sell me an extra ticket to this? Sounds like an absolute blast.

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 13, 2012

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Oh poo poo :O MUST BUY TICKETS

Edit: can't explain how much my discovery of that band has amazed me. It's like the best thing since I found out Op Ivy existed.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

2 tickets to the Webster Hall ASOB show secured! :dance:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Anyone going to see big D and the kids table at the stone pony in April?

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Guess who's seeing the Suicide Machines a week before the ASOB reunion?

There's a rumor they'll be playing destruction by definition too

Where are they playing? Hopefully somewhere near the tri-state area..

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Well RBF is apparently touring this summer with Goldfinger and Suburban Legends. Money is already burning a hole in my pocket.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

I've seen RBF at least 5 times, so that's pretty ok, but I can't WAIT to see Suburban Legends again. I only saw them once, but it was a loving incredible show.

edit: aaaaand they only have northeast dates, nothing in AZ. Damnit.

They're set to announce more dates as RBF's CD gets a little closer to completion.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Streetlight is playing the mainstage for Warped Tour. I don't know how I feel about this but I'm not going to lie I kind of want to go because there's a lot of 2002 pop punk as well. A New Found Glory, Yellowcard, and Taking Back Sunday.

If only it were those bands playing the music they played back in 2002. TBS has been making awful music ever since like '05. :george:

Always had a soft spot in my heart for Yellowcard though

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Well, just found out Big D is playing May 11 at a little bar near where I live. Now there is literally no reason not to go see them.

Edit: This summer is going to make me so poor :smith:

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2012

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Suicide Machines are so so so awesome...this makes me even more pissed I missed them last year opening for a mediocre Descendents performance :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

ASOB tonight! Whoo!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

interpunct posted:

Anyone going to be in NYC on Saturday? I came across this horribly compressed flyer for a show at Mercury Lounge that's advertising a "special guest" band named 8 Iron Men. Does their logo look familiar to anyone?

It's Mephiskapheles.

Here's a video from their most recent reunion show:

http://youtu.be/XhSOztejjiw

My friend is drummer for Broken Heroes :) I might have to go to this as well

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Unsure how I feel about this. Hard to get a feel for it from the teaser, but I'm dying for some more fast paced stuff from them. Guess I won't know until the album drops. Hopefully soon!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Going to NYC!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

I take back any reservations I had about this album. so good. Had this on repeat all morning

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Release date for reel big fish is July thirtieth. Oh my glob I can't wait

Edit: It really is good. Wonder who these girl(s) are on this album. Really balances out the sound

2nd edit: Hm, after listening to the whole thing, I only really liked 3 songs, the rest seemed like recycled old songs

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 6, 2012

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

So just looked at the rest of the bill for the Bosstones show in Webster Hall on the 6th, and saw the Have Nots are playing with them. Never heard them before, checked them out and holy crap, I really like them. Reminds me of Leftover Crack or SFH without Stza's harsh vocals. Really looking forward to the show now :)

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Seeing them tomorrow at Webster Hall. So excited

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

guppy posted:

Yeah but you'd think a new official release by one of the patriarchs of third-wave ska would at least garner a mention.

It got about 4-5 mentions 2 pages or so back

Edit: my brain is stupid. Apparently not that many mentions of the release date

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

I just finished listening to it and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Nothing seems like it has a lot of heart behind it except one or two songs. I really enjoyed "The Promise," but it fits with a lot of their recent releases in that the songs at the end tend to be significantly better.

I'm warming up to it slowly, but yeah I agree that a lot of it wasn't mind-blowing. Favorite songs imho are "I know you too well", "Punisher", and "She's not the end of the world"

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

jetgrindeggy posted:

I gave up on RBF after Cheer Up, and I don't regret it at all. They still put on a hell of a live show, though, even if I don't know some of the songs.

Cheer Up is one hell of an album. Probably my favorite honestly. Agree that everything after that up until now has been total dog poo poo. The new album is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already, though.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

After selecting the "Ska" category in SongPop, I realized how it's entirely first wave and two-tone ska songs, and how horribly uneducated I am about anything outside of third-wave. Trying to rectify this via Youtube :)

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Super informative. I will make sure to do this dance at 4x speed at the next Streetlight show I see. Btw, I really like the English Beat from what I've heard from them so far

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Oh my god I just came. They need to come to NYC :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I don't think you know what awesome means. Cause this is not a good song. Like at all.

Dude singing off-key is the best :coal:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

RBF just posted this on Facebook. Unsure if any of you are interested in this. I'd probably go if I lived anywhere near CA.

"CASTING CALL!
We are casting ska dancers and extras for a REEL BIG FISH music video shooting on SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17, near Riverside, CA. If you like the band and you like skanking, come out and join us! We want people who are willing to dance and take part for at least five hours, but filming could go longer so you must be willing to stay for the entire shoot. You MUST be 18 or older to participate. Everyone's ID will be checked at the door so please remember to bring yours! There is no pay, but we will provide you with snacks, water and of course, great music. Come meet the band and hang out. Once we get your information and finalize our cast, we will send you more details about the shoot. Please do not show up if are not invited - anyone who does will be removed from the premises. Please send your name, phone number and a photo (in ska clothes if possible Recommended: black-and-white checkers, neon colors, Hawaiian shirts.
Accessories are highly encouraged! Fedoras, porkpie hats, sunglasses) to: rbfvideo@yahoo.com. We hope to see you there!"

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

No! Of course they do a tour right when I am moving to Florida :(, and their Orlando date is a week before I move.

I will never get to sing along to blue comb 78 live

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I became a FIF fan in high school, pretty much right after they broke up, that was 10 years ago, and I never ever thought I'd get a chance to see them live. This has been a dream of mine for the last decade. My birthday is the 15th, that's going to be the best loving present ever. Grammercy Theatre is a nice venue, too.

I prefer Irving, but yeah, Grammercy is awesome. That said, I've been seeing lots of ska shows coming up in NYC. Mephiskapheles, Pietasters, and now FIF. Good time to be a ska fan

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

june 15th 7035 when it's excavated by aliens from a satellite time capsule buried just beneath the surface of the saturn moon iapetus

Man they're gonna be so happy...

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Goddamn it. RIGHT after I move from NJ to FL :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Hobbit posted:

Just for that comment Jeff Rosenstock is going to end up the Ozzy Osbourne of ska.

You mean started out amazing and ended mediocre? :v:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

So, I just listened to Smash Mouth's first album for the first time ever today. Heard Walkin on the Sun on the radio, decided to put the whole album on at work. Never did I ever have any clue they started out with Ska punk, and holy poo poo did that album kick rear end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPgnSz-NPY for reference

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

get out.

Alternatively to also not contribute to the thread: I really love ASOB but BTMI just bores the gently caress out of me.

Don't worry, you're not alone. BTMI sounds like rear end

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I get the feeling I don't want to be in their skank pit.

All that goose-stepping hurts when you catch a jackboot to the shin
Edit: Also the fact that nazi ska exists makes the ska Star of David avatars people ITT have even more hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Hobbit posted:

After action report on the Shindig in Baltimore:

The Bosstones were stone cold professionals as always. I'm sad their set couldn't be longer but they picked great songs for the time they had. Opening with "Old School Off the Bright" was an excellent choice on their part. Even with only an hour on stage Dicky still took the time to introduce every member of the band which no other act, except Joan Jett, did at the festival.

I never thought I'd see Joan Jett with the Bosstones in the same place on the same day but the Blackhearts were awesome. Joan still has a great voice and a ton of energy that all gets conveyed into the audience.

The Dropkick Murphys were ok. Once upon a time they were my favorite band but I didn't know any of the new material they played and could only recognize four or five songs out of their set. I still don't think they sound very good live. They did call the Bosstones their "older brothers" though which won points with me.

All in all the show as a lot of fun, prices were reasonable for a festival, and the line up was eclectic but very good.

Murphys used to be one of my favorite bands too, and seeing the Bosstones with them is what got me into the Bosstones in the first place. They put on an amazing live show. Shame the Murphys went down the toilet though