Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

I'm going to see the Aquabats in November

They are going to be with Suburban Legends, which would be awesome, if they would play more of their old poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I'd go see Suburban Legends just for the Disney singalong at the end

First time I saw them (back when they were good ) they played Under The Sea. It was awesome.

They really haven't been the same since Tim left the band. I mean I like Vince and all, but that's when they started doing all of the pop/disco stuff. I liked Dance Like Nobody's Watching (except the abomination slow version of Bright Spring Morning) but I was really disappointed at Infectious. I've heard that the Let's Be Friends album is bringing back some old styles but I haven't heard it yet except for one song they played when they were with LTJ and Goldfinger, but it didn't sound bad IIRC.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I am pumped for RBF and Streetlight coming to NYC in January. I also like the idea of an RBF cover album because they pretty much do the best covers ever. They're the only band I can think of that when they do a cover, it's almost as good, if not better than, the original. Their version of Hungry Like The Wolf rocks my socks off every time.

The show I'm a little more pumped to see, only because I view it as more of a "might not get another chance" deal instead of a "oh man this concert is going to blow my mind" thing:

In case anyone wasn't aware THE MOTHERFUCKING AQUABATS are coming to BB King's, down the block from Times Square, on November 20th. Any New Yorkers who missed them when they came a while back (me ), here's that chance you never thought was going to come again. Oh man, I can not wait.

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm the only hardcore FIF fan still around

Liar!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

RockShowLevel27 posted:

How was no one mention the Bosstones releasing a new album soon

Need more info on this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I saw The Aquabats/Suburban Legends tonight and I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was the single greatest experience of my life.

The first band that opened was...well..weird but awesome.

Suburban Legends were great, they had lots of energy and played mostly their older stuff which was what I was hoping for. The two or three newer songs they played actually weren't that bad so I was happy.

The Aquabats are loving amazing and are the best live band ever, ever, ever, ever. That's all I can really say. If you haven't seen them yet, I have no idea what you're doing with your loving life.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Evil Vin posted:

I was also at the Aquabats show last night and had tons fun.

Where were you? I was against the rail up top near the bar. I was the only one who was jumping and dancing when they called out all the people up there for just standing around not doing much.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Evil Vin posted:

I was down on the floor in the middle-ish area (I slowly went farther back following the pit-like thing) as the , I was one of the dorks wearing Aquabats mask and a fedora. I got to go crowd-surf once early on during the Aquabats set before they told people to steal crowd surfers junk.

I was going to wear my cadet shirt and a mask but I decided not to.

I really regretted it

e: I also really wanted to leave my wallet, keys, and shoes with someone and dive off of the rail into the crowd.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

Anyone going to the Pilfers on Sunday? I was wavering until I saw BTMI will be there, that's enough to push me off the fence.

I really want to go to this, but I am poor ASOB is one of my favorite ska bands ever and I really want to see them in some form before they disappear.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

A bit of news I just discovered which I thought was awesome:

Remember the RBF album that's scheduled to come out in January and be all cover songs? One of the songs they're covering? VERONICA SAWYER BY EDNA'S GOLDFISH.

Holy gently caress, I can't wait to hear this.

e: Track listing:

quote:

1. "Nothin' But a Good Time" (Poison)
2. "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" (Slade)
3. "Veronica Sawyer" (Edna's Goldfish)
4. "Authority Song" (John Mellencamp)
5. "Brown Eyed Girl" (Van Morrison)
6. "The Long Run" (The Eagles)
7. "Won't Back Down" (Tom Petty)
8. "Keep a Cool Head" (Desmond Dekker)
9. "Monkey Man" (Toots and the Maytals)
10. "Talk Dirty to Me" (Poison)

I'm also pretty excited for the Poison songs and Won't Back Down. Monkey Man isn't bad either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSuEMJ_48YE

Sandwolf posted:

When I saw them at Skanksgiving they didn't play a single ASOB song and I doubt they ever will again.

That isn't really the point although it is unfortunate.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2008 around 22:40

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

So Let's Go is also the classic song that they would need to play live but I would really want to hear The Last Bell/I Must Be A Proctologist and 1-800-ALARM ME

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

weekly font posted:

Quick question, I need some help in hating on a band; Mysterious Aftertaste might know this answer.

I saw Streetlight last time they played at Starland Ballroom and one of their openers was this atrocious ska band that had choreographed dance moves and poo poo. What was the name of the band?

Check out some or their songs from their pre-Dance Like Nobody's Watching albums. They were a pretty good ska band just with a goofy gimmick.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They don't really do that anymore which is pretty upsetting

When I first saw them, they did Under The Sea and it was awesome.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Holy poo poo that's by far the best Warped Tour lineup in a long time. I thought '05 was good, Jesus.

e: Actually, looking at it on the whole, '05 was probably still better but as far as representing the ska crowd this is the best lineup since like the 90s

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Dec 22, 2008 around 02:04

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Do or Die is the best Dropkick Murphys album, McColgan's frog voice or not.

Also, Street Dogs are awesome too and up until recently their drummer was Joe Sirois and that's all you really need.

e:

For me it's: Do or Die > Sing Loud, Sing Proud / Blackout > The Meanest of Times > A Warrior's Code

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2008 around 00:23

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think that I just like every single kind of music with a horn part in it but I happen to feel that Third Wave Ska is the best kind.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Got this for Christmas:

http://www.joelleandres.com/skacalendar/ :iamafag:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I have a ticket for the Streetlight/RBF show on the 20th at Roseland but I have a class and can't go

Well, I've seen RBF 6 times, and Streetlight 4 times so I guess it's not that big of a d....I WANT TO GO

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

TLG James posted:

So who's listened to the new Reel Big Fish yet? I find it amusing that they did Brown Eyed Girl, considering they've been credited with that ska version since the Kazaa days.

I had no idea it was out already. I was under the impression that it wasn't coming out until later in the month. I'm going to get it ASAP, I've been really excited to hear it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

guppy posted:

It's not out but you can hear some at the site.

I just got the whole thing and I'm listening to it now. Nothin' but a Good Time is pretty good so far.

e: Veronica Sawyer is okay but nowhere close to the original

e2: Brown Eyed Girl is probably the best version ever, it's got a nice reggae funk to it, but it's still faster and upbeat. I really like how they did it.

vvvv I cannot reveal that information at this point in time

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2009 around 20:53

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I was pretty let down by the cover of Talk Dirty To Me. The Regatta 69 version is so much better.

I thought they took the song in an interesting direction and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I was disappointed by it, but all in all it was pretty good.

e: Won't Back Down was one of my favorites. They did it pretty much exactly like I imagined.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2009 around 23:56

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think all of their albums are good vv

I like RBF because even when they make generic songs, you know that just want to have fun and isn't that really what ska is all about? I thought Monkeys wasn't that great of an album but it's apparent that they were starting to have more fun again and I'm cool with that

Party Down and Everybody's Drunk are evidence of this I think, especially the Party Down video.

Then again though, those two songs, Cannibal, and the re-makes from Everything Sucks were the only good songs on the album

linkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDjaDpw_gs
(look closely and you can see an Aquabats patch on Aaron's suit jacket. He's a cadet :iamafag: )

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Jan 7, 2009 around 04:37

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

dnz posted:

ahahaha oh my god

Little Brother is the best loving song ever

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ASOB Three Cheers for Disappointment is up there for me. I could listen to that album forever

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Life of the Party by The Planet Smashers, The Resignation by RX Bandits

These are really loving good.

I like Before You Knew Better by Edna's Goldfish , The Fury of the Aquabats by The Aquabats (obviously), and there HAS to be a Bosstones album on this list but there are like 3 I can't choose between.

Also Upbeats & Beatdowns by Five Irony Frenzy is like 75% one of my favorites but there are a few songs that keep it off the list for me.

I really don't want to add them to the list but pretty much every Less Than Jake album Anthem and before except for Losers, Kings... (I count B is for B Sides in this as well) and Turn the Radio Off be Reel Big Fish are really good.

I think that Rump Shaker by Suburban Legends is really good. Not on this level of good, but I think a lot of people don't like them because of their disco-ness now and their dancing gimmick so they write this album off.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2009 around 22:09

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Magadog is awesome, I have one of their CDs

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I prefer Losing Streak but they are both phenomenal albums.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think Strictly Rude is a great album. It strays away from ska though and it has a few songs that drag the album down (Snake Bite and Deadpan) but overall I love it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I love you Tom, but I don't believe anything you say until it actually happens.

e: Speaking of actually getting poo poo done on time, is the new BTMI album still coming out on Sunday?

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2009 around 20:20

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

EDNA'S GOLDFISH IS REUNITING TO PLAY THE SATURDAY SHOW AT BAMBOOZLE

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Third Eye Blind is also going to be there on that day so that's worth the price of admission for me

I'm just glad it's not the Sunday show because as of right now that day is god awful.

e: The Bloodhound Gang might be awesome to see for comedic value as well, so that's another plus for Saturday

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2009 around 21:26

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Hopefully they take a cue from the Bosstones after their Bamboozle performance and start touring again and maybe put out a new album

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

9 shows in 8 states last July with Dropkick Murphys was pretty good for a band that hadn't done anything in a few years. Also, playing the first Throwdown in forever was a really good start. Wait for them to get their legs back under them, they've got an album set to come out this year and I'm sure they'll hit the road when they figure out a release date.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Awesome. I guess when they said it would be out Feb. 15, they weren't loving around. I'm downloading it now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Holy poo poo those guys are awesome

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In my opinion Three Cheers For Disappointment is definitely the best Jeff Rosenstock related album ever but BtMI!'s overall body of work is way better than ASoB's.

It would be a lot closer for me if the earlier ASoB albums had better production. Some great songs but it's hard to listen to sometimes.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2009 around 23:01

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

HavveK posted:

MC Lars's new album the Gigantic Robot Kills comes out next week and the title track is a ska song about the mid-to-late 90s ska scene. The music is by Suburban Legends and MC Bat Commander does the chorus. It's pretty awesome.

I just listened to a clip of MC Lars and SL playing it live and it sounded awesome. I can't wait for the album version.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

You're in luck! I am the one single person in this thread who actually listens to/recommends non-American/UK ska

My extensive Ska-P collection begs to differ.

Babylon Circus, too.

e: Tortuga is the poo poo, holy crap thank you for this.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2009 around 00:40

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Good! Two of us then. The last time I recommended a band (Makako Jump), all I got was "bahh I don't want to listen to them non-american moon words".

I tried to get my friends to listen to Ska-P but they just didn't get into it. I didn't even dare to try and get people into TSPO.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The more I listen to it, the more I love Scrambles.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm
Twweeeeeenty-fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive
And I still act like I'm ten!

So god drat good. BtMI! definitely didn't disappoint with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

- I really want to see Edna's Goldfish. I almost went to their last reunion back in like early 2001, and I really regret not going. But I really don't want to drive all the way up there from the Philly area for 30 minutes of one band and a day full of crap.

Yeah, I really want to see them but it's really hard to justify $50 to watch a half-hour set. Third Eye Blind being there is sort of convincing me towards going but I know one band will play at 1 and the other will be at 7 and I'll end up having to sit around for 6 hours holding my dick.

«15 »