Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I went to Amazon and I meant to stream it but I'm tired and wasn't paying attention and I hit the buy button instead and who cares because Stray Bullets rule and it's not like there was any chance I wasn't buying this anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MondayHotDog posted:

You guys failed to notify me about the new IV4K album. For shame, ska thread.

https://iv4k.bandcamp.com/

Also about them, I deleted my copy of the "I Won't Be Home For Christmas" single, does anyone have it? They released it for free so I don't think it's :filez:, they just took it off their Bandcamp.

This time it's you doing the notifying though!

(Thanks for the heads up.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought Dirty Rice when it came out, listened to it once, and forgot about it. I dug it out a couple weeks ago and it turns out it's excellent. I've listened to it several times since.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fateo McMurray posted:

Adults should be everyone's favorite because it's the only one that's good

I am not real into most Jeff stuff so I am going to check out Adults in the hopes that our taste might be similar.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think I own anything that can play cassettes anymore.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I always felt Bim Skala Bim was a group of very technically talented musicians who weren't making any interesting music.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think noted bad record label Victory Records only has American distribution rights for some bands - others are still on there in Europe.

Why do people keep signing with them when they gently caress every single band they've ever signed?

Getting a record deal is really, really hard.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good timing for a Streetlight Manifesto discussion. Dyingscene.com is reporting that Victory is suing them for ONE MEELLION DOLLARS. Or, more specifically, they're suing Tomas.

Victory is alleging that the band has not fulfilled their contract to release four studio albums. They reach this conclusion by excluding from consideration Keasbey Nights (because it's a rerecording of the Catch-22 original) and 99 Songs of Revolution (because it's a cover album).

No idea what the specifics of the contract are. Obviously "Dyingscene.com" isn't exactly the Wall Street Journal.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

rear end Catchcum posted:

Jeff is hands down more talented then Elvis Costello

If you are deliberately trolling me, it's working.

Elvis Costello rules but if you can't get past the voice you'll never like him. He writes a hell of a catchy hook. Give any of his first three albums a listen -- they're My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, and Armed Forces -- and if you don't like it you can ignore the rest of his output. For that matter, you can probably just listen to the first track on My Aim Is True and judge based on that. ("Tramp The Dirt Down" is on Spike, much later. That's the Thatcher death song.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A lot (possibly all?) of both Streetlight and Catch 22 albums are on sale for $5 a pop at Amazon MP3 if anyone is interested.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are some BTMI/Jeff songs I like but they're the exception not the rule. I find his writing mostly depressing, even on songs I like like "25!," and he is not a good singer. I am sorry if this says something terrible about me but well there it is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wheat Loaf posted:

What, if anything, distinguishes "ska punk" from "third wave ska"? Are they the same thing or are they different subgenres?

"Third-wave" is, in theory, a descriptor of timing, as opposed to ska-punk, which describes a sound. It's the "third wave of ska," as in the third major period of its popularity (after traditional/trad and two-tone). In practice, there's a lot of overlap between "third-wave" and "ska-punk," but not all third-wave ska is ska-punk.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Apparently Sonic Boom Six have a new album out, The F-Bomb:

https://smile.amazon.com/F-Bomb-Son...ums-bar-strip-0

It's a double album with a second half that's all live, which I wish weren't there because I don't care about it and it raises the price, but hey. A version without the second half doesn't seem to exist. It looks like they also released a self-titled album in 2012, but as far as I can tell that got no US release, including Amazon MP3 and iTunes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can anyone recommend any bands that use the baritone saxophone? I know the Scofflaws and think they're great; I know Streetlight Manifesto do as well but I've nevertheless been able to get into them.

I love the bari sax - love listening to it, love playing it when I get the chance. It's great.

Does it have to be a ska band? Morphine was an amazing band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpcrpC3P28

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You are correct. Tour, on which they will play the entirety of Somewhere In The Between each night (plus some other stuff). I was... kind of expecting something more out of the ordinary? Not entirely sure why they are doing it with the album that came out in 2007, either, but hey, I like that album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Has there been anything out in, like, the last year besides Jeff projects?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

Time to stop talking about not liking Jeff because new Jeff song

This is one of the less bad Jeff songs, but I would still rather listen to non-Jeff songs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know how this escaped notice but Less Than Jake released a new EP in February: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Alarm-Less-Than-Jake/dp/B01NCSR0BI/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I learned this from the Bosstones twitter feed, but their album is not the only new ska album of the year or even this month. Mad Caddies have a new album that came out the same day, Punk Rocksteady, and there's an album from the Interrupters, Fight the Good Fight, due out the 29th.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know why I didn't know about the Interrupters before this new album but it's really good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah Interrupters' Fight The Good Fight is my pick for best ska record of the year. I love the Bosstones but the new album just isn't sustaining my interest. The Mad Caddies album has some great stuff on it, IMO, but not a start-to-finish winner, and does a cover album even count? They did make a Propagandhi song listenable, which is impressive.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For me it's Hello Rockview. I get that the scene tends to like less polished recordings, and there is some really great stuff on Losing Streak and I love it too, but Hello Rockview is great almost from start to finish. I could do without Motto and Richard Allen George... but I like every other track on that album. About half of Losing Streak is great, but I'm not into the other half.

I've had Borders and Boundaries for years, but I don't actually know it that well. I could only identify about 3 songs on it if pushed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of Why Do They Rock So Hard, which is making me realize that it's about the be the 20th anniversary of pretty much every ska album that I love and I'm old and then I realized that the 20th anniversary of most of them actually passed over the last 18 months

:same:

I really think Why Do They Rock So Hard? might be my favorite ska album overall. Almost nonstop winners, so many good tracks on that album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dang I didn't even know this was out, thanks!

EDIT: Weirdly, Amazon MP3 lists the release date as yesterday, but still has it in "preorder" status and the pricing is screwy. Preorder price: $11.49. "Today you will pay: $18.04 for all available songs. The remaining balance of $11.49 will be charged as music from this album becomes available." Yeah... I'm still buying ska records in 2018, but I'm gonna wait til this gets sorted out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm just starting to give it a listen, but Buck-O-Nine has a new album out: https://www.amazon.com/FunDayMental-Explicit-Buck-Nine/dp/B07PKRZW24/ref=sr_1_2

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Interrupters are great and I'm glad they're getting name-checked.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh christ. I really don't want that be true.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Nothing much is coming out, so I'm going to highlight a little-known album I really enjoy by a band no one knows about. That album is Fire Pit by Spider Nick and the Maddogs. They are a ska band, mostly, from Long Island, but they play a lot of covers and have a lot of calypso influence. Here are some tracks I like from this album:

Uncle Al
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaUYRuuwZNc

Midnight Special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rU_TYQ0evU

The Pool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLMy58aZAa8

Angelina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVGbIQWr_fE

The horn arrangements leave something to be desired, but other than that I have gotten a lot of joy out of this album. It's available on Amazon and probably other places.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are a bunch of good songs covered on this and they are all markedly worse than the originals.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm hearing that there's something of a ska revival happening right now. I'm not sure I believe it, but there are definitely some bands that people (who aren't me) know about that I've never heard of, like Bite Me Bambi, which is composed of alumni from other bands, including Save Ferris. Are there new bands I should know about? Just about the last new releases I knew about were Less Than Jake's "Sound The Alarm" in 2017 and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' "While We're At It" in 2018.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Kill Lincoln - Can't Complain is out now, today. Aquabats later this month.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Warbird posted:

Both of my vinyls should be showing up pretty shortly. Never got a shipping notification for the Bats one though so that’s a bit concerning.

The Aquabats pushed their release back from June because of all the stuff happening. I would expect it to mail out soon if there are no other problems.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Vanishingly little info available, but the Bosstones say they've finished a new album:

https://www.punknews.org/article/73159/mighty-mighty-bosstones-finish-new-album

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That Brooklyn Vegan article is great, so much music I didn't even realize was being made. It's a bit of a firehose, though, even with their playlist that highlights their top picks. Any real standouts that I should check out?

I didn't discover Kill Lincoln from that article -- that was probably this thread -- but I really like them. I don't only listen to ska-punk, although I think that makes up a lot of the current renaissance of the genre.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WaffleZombie posted:

My best friend likes a lot of this stuff too, but usually only hears about newer stuff from me. He read the article and basically said the same thing - it is a little too long and he got annoyed at it. It probably could have used some editing. But here are a couple of the standouts in my personal opinion, with the caveat that I'm assuming in addition to Kill Lincoln, you know We Are the Union since they've been around a while in relation to most of the bands in the article and that you'e heard the newer Bruce Lee Band stuff because both Jeff Rosenstock and Mike Park are the best.

Thanks for this. Yes, I know Bruce Lee Band and We Are The Union already.

It's probably because I grew up on 90s ska, but Half Past Two does scratch the itch even if it's very much like the stuff I already know. Hey Smith was cool too.

I don't know what it is about Catbite but I just cannot get into them. Vocal style maybe.

EDIT: I finally watched that Jeff clip from Seth Meyers. I am not into everything he does but gently caress if that didn't hit me just right and show me why everyone loves Jeff. Buying the album now.

Edit again: I thought I wanted a more polished sound like Half Past Two but now i want more angry yelling. Jeff has radicalized my music preferences

guppy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 30, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The new Five Iron Frenzy album has gone out to early KS backers, so general release is probably around the corner.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
FIF is always hit or miss for me and this is no exception. Some of it I like a lot, some of it I can't see listening to on purpose. Performance and production are good, it sounds tight. Lyrically I think it's no great shakes on a first pass.

EDIT: Apparently it's on Spotify as well https://open.spotify.com/album/1NBcD5YIWTEo4Lp4t7xK5V

guppy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 15, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Bosstones' new Tim Armstrong-produced album has a name and a release date, and the first single is out now. "When God Was Great" will be released May 7th on Hellcat. New single "I Don't Believe In Anything" now streaming.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We Are The Union surprise-announced a new record, "Ordinary Life," out June 4th. First single "Morbid Obsessions" streaming on Spotify and elsewhere. Reade Wolcott, their lead vocalist, also came out as trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We Are The Union - Ordinary Life is out today. I haven't really previewed it much but I'm listening to it now and I like it a lot so far! The only album of theirs I had before was Who We Are and I wasn't that into it.