Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Even though I look back on a lot of my ska collection and scoff, Telegraph and Animal Chin are still two of my favorite bands of all time. They both started out at straight up ska bands but morphed into hybrids that were much more interesting.

I guess that's the rub for ska with me. Having played in a ska band or two, and having liked the music for several years, I can say that the most likely reason ska has gone back underground is that it's a very limiting genre - both for the bands and the listener. You can only tweak the sound it so much without it changing from a ska song into something else. I think that's why so many bands abandoned the traditional offbeat sound after coming out with a CD or two...they just got bored.

Don't get me wrong, I'll fire up my Slapstick CD in my car with the windows down when it's a nice day, but when I want a quiet Sunday night listen, I'm reaching for something else with more depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU