Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Ghostpilots posted:

awesomality of ska

That is amazing. Anyway, I'm really happy to see this thread. I was hoping for one for a while now.

I'm going to have to get my hands on as much Ska as I can, since I hadn't even heard of many of those bands.

Perhaps we should post our current favorite bands/albums.

For me it's
Voodoo Glow Skulls - Symbolic
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In The Between

That's not to say I don't love the other bands I listen to, but I'd have to say these are my current favorite whole albums(Current not necessarily meaning recently released.)

Oh, and while I'm at it. Two songs I really dig right now are:
Reel Big Fish - The Set Up(You Need This) and Suburban Legends - High Fives

If you guys could recommend songs that sound like these two I'd appreciate it!

edit: I uh, just noticed the tag. Should probably ask a mod about that!

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Mr. Heavy posted:

I say this in every ska thread, but Mephiskapheles's God Bless Satan is without a doubt in my mind the greatest third-wave ska album ever conceived.

An excellent loving album. Sometimes I'll randomly start singing "Yum yum bumbleebee bumblebee tuna, I love bumblebee bumblebee tuna, yum yum bumblebee bumblebee tuna, love a sandwich made with bumblebee!" around people. Not the whole song, that would be crazy, but just that part.

I don't think anyone gets the reference.

Anyway, to those around the NY area I recently saw a band called Lemonade Grenade and they weren't half bad!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I'm very much glad for this thread, I hadn't really heard of Buck-O-Nine before but I just bought their album "Twenty Eight Teeth" on Amazon and it's pretty sweet.

Gonna be going through that whole list of bands, could always use more music! Even though this could be bad for my bank account.

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm waiting for Action League Now! to actually record something. Dual lead singers, one female. I know of no other place to hear their music than myspace, so sorry about that. Here's the link anyway http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58824819

They sound pretty drat good. Plus I love the reference.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I just saw Westbound Train at the Streetlight show in the NYC. For a band I'd never heard of they were pretty amazing. You guys should check them out when you have the chance. They do Ska, they do Reggae, they do lots of things. And they do it all well!

More on the show though. Were any other goons there? (Grand Ballroom, NYC, Nov 10th)

It was amazing. The bands there were The Stitch-Ups, Westbound Train, Suburban Legends, and of course Streetlight Manifesto

The Stitch-Ups were okay, nothing too special but the singer was pretty funny.

Westbound Train was a complete surprise with how awesome they were.

Suburban Legends were very entertaining with their boy-bandish choreography. And they played High Fives which is all I really wanted from them. :unsmith:

Streetlight Manifesto was, of course, amazing. They played songs from Everything Goes Numb, Somewhere in the Between or "Somewhere in the Bittorrent" if I heard him correctly. :laugh: They also played Keasbey Nights and songs from B.O.T.A.R

The only thing that upset me was that they didn't play The Receiving End of It All

I'm so glad I went. I sat up in the balcony though because I didn't have the energy to stay on the floor all night. Plus I'm short and I like to be able to see the bands, and I also felt like everyone else was a High School kid. I guess I'm too old for this stuff. It was pretty funny though, from up there I was able to see every single time someone lit up a joint (Which was pretty often).

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

TGKB posted:

Haha, I'm going to their show next week in Troy, NY and this is exactly what I pictured it would be like. Except instead of high school kids it is going to be college kids from Albany.

You'd be surprised. I went to a show around Troy once (I used to go to RPI so needless to say I hate Troy) and it was also filled with high school kids!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Chipyy posted:

The Lockup.

Wow man those songs were a lot better than I expected. Not to say I doubted you, but I mean those songs were really really good!

You should release some more songs. Hell, with that kind of sound quality in recording you should release an album. I don't know how much it would cost to ship to America but I'd buy it!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

:words:

Yeah the "funny singer" comment was mine. Still mostly knew to Ska so I don't really know my stuff but I do know I enjoy it! I still need to check out MU330

Anyway, the set you listed sounds pretty similar to the one at the NYC show, a slightly different order though I think. I was also surprised they didn't play Receiving End Of It All, I was looking forward to it.

I agree with you about Surburban Legends, I don't really like their newer stuff and the only song they played that I knew was High Fives (which they played as their last song, I was getting scared that they wouldn't play it)

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Five Iron Frenzy seems to be pretty popular, but they have a bunch of albums. I don't know where to start! Anyone have a favorite they can recommend?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

We're working on it, I'll try and remember to let you know when we get it up.

I just checked out your Myspace and after those listens I bought Life of the Party

So yeah, I'm pretty much sold on you guys. I'm also looking forward to when you get the new album up on iTunes!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Motherfucker. Anywhere but Troy! Why must they torture me like this?!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

mix.lunar posted:

What's wrong with Troy? That's where I might go to see them.

RPI sucked out my soul and left me a shell of a human being.

But that doesn't matter anymore since I found out that show is on a Wednesday and I still must attend classes.

I'm more upset that I managed to miss the January 12th show in NYC. I had no idea it even happened until I went to their site yesterday.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

One day I'm going to be an Aquabat for Halloween.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Lep Levwet posted:

Especially thanks to a few of the podcasts (Ska Skank Radio for one) are really nice.

That is a brilliant idea! I had never even thought to look for any Ska podcasts. I'm subscribing to that one right now

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

The Banana Pee posted:

Tl;dr: Aaron took the lead of RBF as a way to woo a girl who was fronting another band in their local scene, even though she already had a girlfriend. She ended up hurting him badly, right as the band was taking off, and it was too much for him, especially after the ska craze slipped away from the mainstream. Nearly all of their demo songs and most of Turn The Radio Off were about this. Despite their lack of mainstream notoriety they would be a good candidate for Behind the Music.

Turn The Radio Off is the only album of theirs that I really know and I could actually hear the lyrics to the songs in my head as I was reading that little story. Creepy!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Mr Plow posted:

I saw a clip from a kids show that is relevent and pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-R47vp2XQ

The dad is a rudeboy, the kid is a skinhead (the ska listening kind, not the later neo-nazi kind), and the girl is a mod. And of course that is the iconic scooter hiding in the background. Also, there's the aquabats doll and the ska imagery and probably other stuff I missed.

This has been posted before but I suppose we can forgive you for that because the clip is still and will always be awesome. The show was created by MC Bat Commander which is why it has the Aquabats doll in it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Time to liven up this thread with some Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra!

I never realized j-ska could reach these levels of awesome until I watched this video of them performing their song Skaravan live.

Look at all the skanking!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9dWMhSJq0c

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Raxe posted:

As for another band using the sousaphone, Youngblood Brass Band uses one though they aren't a ska band. There might be other brass bands out there that use one as well.

Funny that you should mention Youngblood Brass Band. I discovered them through a friend recently and their song Brooklyn is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Can anyone recommend some good LTJ songs? The only one that is very ska-like is The Science of Selling Yourself Short.

You'll certainly have to listen to Liquer Store

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A Moment of Silence
A Moment of Violence

Oh my sweet jesus that must have been great.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

a spanish band with a lot of energy but a lot of talent as well. Their style sounds extremely familiar to me but I can't place it exactly. Definitely not run of the mill.

They seem to be Italian if that Myspace is any indication. I like their sound a lot but I really have a hard time getting into songs with lyrics I don't understand.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

This thread has fallen pretty far back and that saddens me.

So I was wondering, what can you guys tell me about Fishbone and some lesser known but easily obtainable Ska bands. (I don't want to have to journey to strange far off lands to obtain my music!)

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

guppy posted:

I'm not sure what qualifies as "lesser known." Here's a few that you may not have heard of:

Well I guess it makes me happy that I've heard of most of those.

But I'll check out The Forces of Evil, Spider Nick, and Bim Skala Bim. I've also always been curious about the Rx Bandits but never knew which albums to get.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Now now let's not start this argument. We don't want to ruin our peaceful happy Ska thread.

If you like RBF you should check out Mustard Plug, The Taj Motel Trio, Big D and the Kids Table, Buck-O-Nine, and The Planet Smashers. And uh, many others but this seems like a good start.

Streetlight Manifesto isn't as RBF-ish but they're still amazing and you should make sure to check them out.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band to come out in the last 10 years :colbert:

I agree that Streetlight is an amazing band, and definitely my favorite band at the moment. Possibly for eternity. But sometimes you need to kick back and listen to the crazy random whacky Ska!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

And constantly disappointed that no one knew who Dan Potthast was :(

I'm sorry, okay??? Why must you keep rubbing this in?! At least I'm a fan of MU330 now :unsmith:

And to the guy who posted above about Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra make sure to check out their Skaravan cover. I posted it earlier but it's so amazing, especially if you find the version on youtube of them performing it live. Everyone's skanking!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Suburban Legends were pretty bad. Their best song was seriously Under the Sea, and I liked some of their earlier stuff. When their last song wasn't actually the last song, the crowd booed them, which was kind of lame.

But I went to see Less Than Jake. It was quite a good show, but the crowd sucked balls. They actually went back and replayed the breakdown in The Ghosts of Me and You because the crowd sucked so bad. When Chris asked the crowd if they would rather see LTJ on the Shout it Loud tour or Warped, Warped got more cheers :psyduck: After that Vinnie spammed the Price is Right "loss" sound for about 30 seconds.

Wow I've never been to an LTJ show but if a majority of their fans are like this gently caress them(the fans, not LTJ)

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

So, can anyone list all the music in that video? It pains me to say that I only recognized about five of them.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Well I was bored so I tried to pick out the songs and ignore his voice.

Also he was completely wrong in his commentary of She has a girlfriend now by RBF. Bastard.

Anyway here's what I got so far:

1 - ?
2 - ? Baggy Trousers maybe
3 - The Specials - Ghost Town
4 - Madness - Baggy Trousers
5 - Reel Big Fish - She Has a Girlfriend Now
6 - No idea
7 - Goldfinger - Superman
8 - No clue something about spray on trousers
9 - His band I guess
10 - Might still be his band in a different song
11 - Ghostbusters cover possibly by Attaboy Skip
12 - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - You Gotta Go
13 - Madness - Our House

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Calavera posted:

Unfortunately, ska isn't cool anymore, so a lot of people don't know who the hell I'm talking about when I tell band stories. :colbert:

It's okay my brother, we're here for you!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Calavera posted:

I'm a girl, which is why I suspect I know most of these guys in the first place. By the way, I know you're thinking it, and NO, I'm not the groupie sort. Seriously.

But thanks!! I'm happy to have found this thread. :j:

You know, when I was writing that reply I was thinking "maybe I should add 'or sister' just in case"

Of course the one time I don't write that is the one time I should have.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Edit: Oh yea if you don't listen to Skankin Pickle do it now. Their guitarist was a chick and did some singing and they're amazing anyway.

Plus they're worth listening to just so you can do the Hussein Skank

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Chipyy posted:

Yeah, god forbid we have a discussion about ska on this thread, of all places, jesus. Everyone go back to talking about the same three bands, nothing to see here.

There's nothing wrong with a discussion about ska. It's the people who are like "Man third wave is so much better than trad ska" or "Third wave loving sucks" that take away from the thread.

Come on people, we should be above that!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

TLG James posted:

Which songs would that be?

Riot on Broad Street, The Skeleton Song, Desensitized - Well, these are just guesses anyway based on the lyrics. I guess we'll have to wait for Dopo's answer.

edit nevermind

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

gerfatty posted:

Another thing, I was easily in the top 1% age-wise. I'm only 20 freaking years old, I'm not supposed to be stared at like the creepy old guy. Granted I have a beard, but still. What the hell? Am I just too old for ska shows now? I just wanted to dance... :confused:

You need to blend in with the youngins! Shave your beard and dress the age of your average high schooler.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

So much Big D hate. I wouldn't call them my favorite band but I do enjoy a few of their songs. My favorite album of theirs is probably The Gipsy Hill EP.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Detonate's second album, Undead, is amazing as well. They're working on a full length now that they'll be releasing for free online, I'm pretty pumped for it.

Does a Ska band exist that you have not heard about?!

Hah. Hard to answer that question isn't it?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

So I finally got around to listening to Suburban Rhythm.

This is a rhetorical question thanks to Wikipedia but why did Ed and Scott quit? They were amazing! :smith:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Oh goddammit come to NY before I leave for basic come on come on come on

They're going to NYC on January 20th. The tour dates are up on RBF's website. I already got my tickets from their pre-sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

No love for Mendoza?! You people sicken me.