Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

WashinMyGoat posted:

What can you guys tell me about the band Deals Gone Bad? I missed them live with Mustard Plug earlier this year, and I heard some girl talk about them who is not a ska fan at all. I've only heard their songs from MySpace, and I don't know what to feel. Help.

Bringing up and old quote, but I didn't see a response to it.

Deals Gone Bad has been around for probably ten years now, and it seemed like the guys only played shows in Chicago, I never heard about tours. Anyway, they changed singers I think three years back and I'll be honest, I think they got a lot worse. They're essentially a pirate ska band, they make several pirate/sex jokes in songs and are pretty much a fun band to go see. I'd classify them as either traditional or two-tone, I guess they're a mix of both. I haven't seen them in a while, but even though I don't think they're as good as they used to be, I still think they put on a good show.

Back during ska's peak, they opened for pretty much any traditional/two-tone ska band that came through. I think the first time I saw them, they opened for Hepcat at the Metro. That just reminded me of how much I miss Hepcat.

Edit: I was in a ska band called The Indecisives back during college. I only played in the band for a year, but they were around for about 7 years with varying lineups. I did go on one tour out to the east coast, which has good and bad memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

Let's Go Bowling, but I can't for the life of me remember who else played with them. It was a great show too, I saw them a couple more times before they fell off the face of the earth.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If anyone's in Chicago, Fishbone is playing at Bottom Lounge this Saturday. 9 PM, 18+, $20 for tickets. I saw them about a year ago and they're awesome live.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

guppy posted:

My local joint (Baltimore) has just announced Skalloween, with the Toasters headlining. :hellyeah:

The Toasters still exist?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you're in Chicago you need to go to Riotfest in September. Slapstick, Less Than Jake, and Fishbone are playing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Found out The Specials are playing in Chicago on March 11th. Has anyone seen them recently? Wondering if they're still good, or if I shouldn't waste my time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Indeed, I just saw Eric "Monty" Morris this past weekend, he was one of the original singers with The Skatalites back in like 1964. It was stupidly fun. The Slackers are coming to Chicago in April and I can't wait to see them too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If anyone is in Chicago, or interested in travelling to Chicago in September, Riot Fest will have Toots and Maytals, The Selecter, and Mephiskapheles playing, although I have no clue which day any of them are playing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

For anyone in the Chicago area that hasn't heard about this, Jump Up Records has managed to get a bunch of bands to do a one-off reunion show on January 3rd.

https://www.facebook.com/events/188428171343818/

Hot Stove Jimmy
Green House
The Eclectics
Heavy Manners
Skapone
The Exceptions

Most, if not all, of these bands are Chicago based, and I don't think they're playing any other shows. Only $15 or so after fees.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

1) JB Conspiracy - The Storm
2) Cat Empire - Steal the Light
3) Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Walkin'
4) FIF - Engine of a Million Plots

In 2014 we get new albums from Mad Caddies and Deal's Gone Bad :getin:

For some reason, I am surprised so many people not in Chicago know who Deal's Gone Bad are. Also, the American Ska-thic 20th anniversary show is tomorrow at The Metro in Chicago. I should've started doing cardio work a month ago to prepare, I'm worried I'll be exhausted after a couple songs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You could also see The Crombies, Mike Park's (not THAT Mike Park) newish band that also has two other DGB members in it. It's essentially the original DGB sound. Although I think there aren't any pirate songs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Riot Fest:

It's an outdoor festival all three days. Friday usually starts late afternoon like 4PM, Saturday and Sunday will start at like 12:30 or 1. If it's the same as last year, they will have five stages, one of these being a small stage for smaller acts, which I generally like seeing more than the big stuff. The secret shows can be extremely difficult to get a ticket to. I have never actually gone to one because they sell out so quickly, but if you stay on it, you should be able to get something. I'm not even sure if VIP tickets get you into those shows anymore, something to look in to. VIP tickets do give you a lot of beer tickets, and your own special section to get said beer, although I rarely had trouble getting a beer from the regular lines.

Edit: I can't go this year because I already planned a vacation and will be out of town. Also, they just announced this as well. http://riotfest.org/2014/05/10-years-10-essential-albums/ That's 10 bands playing their biggest albums in their entirety.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

There's a lot more people in black? I've never been to Coachella so I have no clue what that is like. The stages are pretty well spread apart, so you don't get a lot of cross chatter between stages. There's also a carnival, with a ferris wheel, some spinny rides, a midway, all that jazz. You have to buy tickets inside for those, like $1 a ride or something. Beer is reasonably priced, I think $5 or $6 for something like Magic Hat.

This takes place in a large park on the NW side of Chicago. Public transportation to/from there kind of sucks because it's a good mile or more to the nearest El station, so the buses get crazy packed. If you can, ride a bike, that is the lowest hassle way to get there, otherwise plan to walk a long ways.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Battle Rockers posted:

I want to talk a little about traditional ska. You ever heard Stranger Cole's Rough and Tough?

The gentleman who originally played harmonica on this track is still active and lives in Chicago. His name is Charley Organaire. Here he is actually joining Stranger Cole onstage in Chicago at Mayne Stage.

Mr. Organaire is touring Europe while backed by an excellent Minneapolis ska band called The Prizefighters. He has new recordings of his own featuring The Prizefighters. One of my favorites is called I Won The Prize, a stomping, energetic instrumental. You can hear that music in the promo video for the European tour.

I just want to say I think this is a great thing and I hope more people will too. I understand it's mostly third-wave ska being discussed around here and I want to throw my hat in and get this info out there.

I saw Charley Organaire about a year ago at Mayne Stage with Susan Cadogan. That guy is really good, and the whole show was good. Prizefighters are a pretty tight band, and they do really well as a backing band. I appreciate Chuck Wren getting the Jamaican Oldies shows together, I just wish they didn't cost so much. Also Chuck needs to stop bitching so much on facebook, jesus.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Look up streetlight manifesto and toms old hand catch 22

For bands that sound like the Toasters? Umm

Edit: Aside from what's been suggested, and if you don't mind bands that don't exist anymore. Scofflaws, Let's Go Bowling, older Fishbone (sort of, they're a little all over the place), Skavoovie & the Epitones, Dance Hall Crashers, and Pietasters.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 20, 2015

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been listening to the Scofflaws recently. I think they're pretty good; like the Toasters, they have a kind of 2 Tone sound which I really enjoy. What is there that's similar? The Pietasters were recommended to me previously, so I've been thinking about trying them. How about Bim Skala Bim? They seem to be the right sort of age to be a similar thing.

Probably Let's Go Bowling, Dance Hall Crashers, Slackers, Bad Manners, maybe Skavoovie and the Epitones, Heavy Manners (80s Chicago ska), and maybe Skapone, but I'm not really big on that band.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ahh for the late 90s early 00s when every punk-ska band had to have an 80s cover. I was briefly in a band and we covered Take Me Home Tonight, and partially covered Anyway You Want It. It's actually kind of amazing how easily most of those 80s pop hits can be converted to ska.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Woah you were in atom and his package?!

I wish. I was in a band called The Indecisives.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I noticed them in the list but how do people feel about ye ole Fishbone? Had the opportunity to see them live (well, the remaining members) last year down on Cape Cod and it was an incredible show. Angelo truly has one of the most energetic and exciting stage presences I've ever had the pleasure to witness and he walked into the crowd at the foot of the stage to sing "Lyin' rear end Bitch" with us crowd folk. I figure it's one of the last opportunities I may have to see some of that old fashioned ska stuff being played by the people who did it back in the day themselves.

I'm quoting this from almost a month ago to say that you should listen to Fishbone as much as loving possible. They are the absolute best, and put on killer shows every time, and they've been doing it mostly non-stop for like 35 years. There stuff in the 90s can get bad, so I would just stick with their early stuff. Luckily, that's like all they play at shows anymore.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I should be at Midwest Ska Fest. I'm also seeing Hepcat at Subterranean in Chicago on Friday. I thought about going to Reggaefest, which is Saturday, but I'm too old to do three shows in a row.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

RIP Prince Buster

The sad part for me is, I figured he was dead a long time ago.

In other sad, but nowhere near as sad as Prince Buster dying news, The Specials and The Skatalites are both playing in Chicago this week, except they're both playing Thursday night, so you have to pick one. I chose Skatalites even though I know there's only like two living members left. I guess I figure this is probably my last chance to see them, and The Specials might still come around one more time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I had, or might still have, Today's Specials, and it was not good. I listened to it once, and that was enough.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Skatalites turned out to be just ok. The music was good, but the young guys in the band did not look terribly comfortable on stage. Charley Organaire played some songs too and he was good, but he also came out with The Skatalites and it was pretty clear that there wasn't any practice done because he had this constant look on his face that he wasn't totally sure what to do except for play a couple harmonica solos. Doreen Shaffer is still fantastic even though she's at least 70.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Also check out their side project I will edit when I remember the name haha.

Are you talking about The Stereo? It had Rory from The Impossibles, and Jamie from Animal Chin, wasn't ska though. Only the first album had Rory, then The Impossibles got back together, so he did that. The Impossibles are fantastic, and there shows are still like top 5 ska shows for me all time and it's been at least 10 years since I've seen them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Toots Hibbert died. Dude was still doing shows a year ago at like 76. I guess 2020 was his number.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lee “Scratch” Perry died at 85 today. Another of the Jamaican originators lost.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Saw Slackers and Green Room Rockers last night. So good to see live ska again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

Sup Slackfest buddy :hf:

A few selections from The Slackers shows last week - I took my friend's 15 year old, aspiring tenor saxophonist daughter to see them in Cleveland at the Grog Shop (this is how you get a fourth wave BTW) and then my wife and I spent a long weekend in Chicago for Slackfest.

Grog Shop Cleveland featuring Aggrolites bassist Jeff Roffredo filling in for Marcus.

Slackfest Night 1 featuring guest steel guitarist on Rider and Christine Keilor (I missed his name.)

Slackfest Night 2 with the same steel guitarist on You Must be Good & Dave's Friend. Also overtones on Bin Waitin.

Ah I was standing a little to the right of you on night 1. I saw the Slackers at the Grog Shop back in 2015 I think. I try not to miss them when they come to town.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well this is not how I thought the Bosstones would end. Glad the rest of the band wasn’t going to put up with that poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Terry Hall of The Specials just died. He was only 63. Didn’t see the cause, but too young.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rdu8VOWk3pg&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

George Wright posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Z-DjXYmdE

Didn't realize Fishbone was still around, but it looks like Fat put out their new single, of all labels.

I don’t think fishbone has ever really stopped touring, but they also don’t put out new albums like ever. For a band that’s been around for almost 40 years, they only have 8 real albums.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Saw the Skalars, and Scofflaws last night in Chicago. Couple of bands I haven’t seen in over 20 years. Skalars were really good and were mostly original members. No Isaac Green, but that didn’t matter. Would see them again.

Scofflaws was just Sammy Brooks and a bunch of fill-ins. Brooks has a ton of energy for a guy who looks 70. Scofflaws were tight, but I guess I got tired of Brooks’s antics because I left halfway through the set. Being really tired didn’t help either.

Also, Chuck Wren, for having run Jump Up Records for 30 years, is not really a good show runner.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh poo poo Blue Meanies playing in Chicago in July.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lester Sterling died. He was a founding member of the skatalites. Doreen Shaffer is the last one left. Almost the end of an era.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Seeing The Eclectics tonight and Blue Meanies tomorrow. Bringing back the 90s here.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Both were really good. I get not being into the Blue Meanies, they can get pretty weird. Great turnout for BM, maybe not sold out, but very close.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Misc posted:

cool scene lifehack: because new york never got their day in the spotlight, saying you like the slackers and mephiskalpheles is the easiest way to telegraph to others you are a cool person who likes good ska and not bad ska.

The Toasters got on MTV briefly when ska was at its peak, but that’s about it.

Ska getting mainstream is what killed it. Ska was really big before radio caught on to it in the 1988-1996 range. I’d go to see Hepcat, Let’s go bowling, toasters, etc in 10,000 capacity venues before ska officially blew up, and then I think everyone got really burnt out on it. It became really uncool to listen to ska, so any casual fans dropped it hard.

I think if it never got big radio/Mtv play it would be more popular than it is now, but still not as big as it was. The popularity in the 90s may have been a reaction to the sort of nihilistic, heavy sound of grunge.

It’s funny to look at music from the 80s-90s as it seems the music industry mostly bounced from one genre to another. Now it feels like there’s not a focus on one specific sound, although I’m definitely less in tune with pop music than 20 years ago, and I was barely aware of the trends then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

loving hell, Greg Lee from Hepcat died. Had a brain aneurysm and cardiac arrest on Sunday, he was only 53. The worst loving news.