Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, did anyone else notice that The Aquabats! are back up to a seven piece roster in that holiday post?

The money from Yo Gabba Gabba must be helping out.

I'm also hoping for a Bosstones tour this summer. This year's Warped line-up is the first some of my friends have wanted to see in six years. Having the Bosstones would get be back at Warped, but I'd much rather have them on their own tour so they can play a full set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Jesus Christ what a horrifying lineup.

They're mostly in it to see AWK.

I haven't the heart to say, "you were just onstage with him while he played with a full orchestra in Chicago. How can you be stoked for a twenty minute Warped Tour set?"

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tip the Van and Deal's Gone Bad are also listed. Like I said, I'm hoping the Bosstones do their own tour and bring along some other bands.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thornes posted:

The first song that pops up is by The Hippos and it sounds pretty good. Then I realize it sounds really familiar. Then I further realized it was a song by The JB Conspiracy. There was no way for me to flag it as being wrong. Now people are gonna hear that amazing song and not know who really made it!

That reminds me of Napster having every random ska cover being listed as Less Than Jake songs. Even Reel Big Fish songs were being listed as Less Than Jake.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

something i totally just realized for the first time and it makes the song that much better for me now:

the horn part at 3:20 in if and when we rise is a jazzed-up version of brahm's hungarian dance #5

i always knew i heard it somewhere before but could never pinpoint it. that's one of the main reasons why streetlight rules, they get their influences from so many non-traditional ska genres

I learned that from Taiko Drum Master of all sources. And they say video games rot your mind...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dickeye posted:

I used to have Less Than Jake playing I'm A Dude with Kel and it was awesome

I still have "We're All Dudes" and a demo song The Hippos never put on the posthumous final album.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Specials have been announced for Coachella.
http://www.coachella.com/event/lineup

Here's hoping for a solo US tour.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Summer seems to be when everyone tours, so albums usually come out around then.

Smaller bands tend to stay at home in the winter, because they can't risk a weather related auto accident.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hoping they do tour dates along the way, rather than fly from date to date.

You know, for all the young fans who never had or chance to see them or can't fly to England.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Their dates had better be more than "East Coast, West Coast, Cheers."

It'd be a big disservice to their fans to finally have the reunion tour, and then play very few dates.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JR described their previous reunion show as "bittersweet" given the circumstances, but it is pretty cool that they're giving it another go.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, yes Sonseed. Played that at a party once.

It's an original and fairly infamous.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, I found the demo and all I could imagine was a circus seal.

The cover itself is good, definitely better than Iron & Wine's version.

The beginning though. Ugh.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every high school ska band has to get back together. That includes known ska bands that started in high school like The Hippos and the original version of Rx Bandits.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only if they all play at the same time and it's the marching band version.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going to say, I found Ska Brewing Co. on a trip through Illinois.

Beer was okay, but I still have a couple of the caps floating around.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would they skip the solo in Punk Rock Girl? It's one of my favorite solos just for how sloppy it is.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's my mistake for thinking that's when the solo occurs. It actually comes right after that clip ends.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that just a general "bands make all their money off of shows and merch" statement, or has Victory wronged them in some way?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll agree with a mostly horn and decent Aquabats! album.

Do you think they'll do a 20th Anniversary Pezcore next year?

LTJ seems to be a little put off when I mention I've been coming to see them for ten years, so maybe they don't want to think about being around that long.

E:

aricoarena posted:

Im waiting for Big D and the Kids Table to fire their singer or for him to die or something. His halfass talksing terriblness has made the last 2 album unlistenable. Also the lyrics are poo poo.

Weren't most of their earlier songs written by a horn player who left the band?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dickeye posted:

They've already done the Pezcore rerelease with the concert DVD, thats why I'm hoping for Hello Rockview

Rockview could definitley use a reissue. However, I don't know if they can afford to buy it and Losing Streak back from Capitol.

Okay, I checked Amazon, and had ignored the 2008 version of Pezcore since I already have two different versions of it. 20th Anniversary doesn't matter so much with it being that recent. They can just put a sticker on the cover.

I still really want the Losing Streak picture disc. They should reissue that.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not a dinosaur posted:

Honestly deep down I am waiting for The Impossibles to do a reunion tour

I'd be down to see The Gadjits as long as it was as their ska incarnation and not their indie album.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dickeye posted:

They've already bought the rights to all their albums back and apparently are going to be rereleasing them on their own label

Do you have a source regarding Losing Streak and Hello Rockview reissues? I don't remember those being mentioned and I just skimmed a year's worth of updates on their official site.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks. I really should keep up on Vinnie's blog.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Hippos' "Always Something There to Remind ME" is awesome, but it's more on the Power Pop end of their career than the ska end.

Big D's cover of Iron Maiden's "Iron Maiden."

Honestly, probably just a third of the Metalliska comp.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why didn't this thread come up two years ago when I still had my radio show?

The Gadjits:
Mustang Sally
Skinhead Girl

The Hippos:
Freeze Up

Bad Manners:
My Girl Lollipop
Can-can

The Aquabats!:
Ska Boss

The Scofflaws:
Pee-wee's Big Adventure

The Clash:
Armagideon Time
Police & Thieves
Pressure Drop

The Specials:
A Message To You, Rudy

The English Beat:
Tears of a Clown

The Skatalites have done plenty of covers, too, if you want to take it way back.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the Good Charlotte song that uses lines from "Rudy, A Message to You" count? :v:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guppy posted:

What an odd performance. Most of the band seems to be rocking out and having a blast, except for the lead singer, who looks very "ugh loving whatever" and as if he'd rather be anywhere but there.

Maybe he's waiting for the Fun Boy Three reunion.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

It's kinda like the Dead Kennedys touring without Jello Biafra.

So it's like going to live karaoke?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Berzerker posted:

I was going to go see The Specials tomorrow night in Toronto, but it's been postponed due to a medical emergency. I hope they're okay :ohdear:

Too much too old?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Aquabats! just played a large portion of the US on the Yo Gabba Gabba! Live Tour.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your other ska choices in Rock Band consist of No Doubt and one Bosstones track.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm 90% sure RX Bandits will have a song on RBN, I think choi said something about it on twitter a couple weeks ago

edit: found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lcf8jNyCOU

Someone should upload "Teen Idol" to RBN just to see what happens.

The song was pretty popular when I first saw them ten years ago (:ohdear:), but Matt has since said, "playing that song would be like loving an ex-girlfriend -- that I don't even like."

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aricoarena posted:

what was that ska sreamo band that a video was posted of pages upon pages ago, I've looked but keep missing it. Anybody remember?

Folly. Their album is called "Insanity Later."

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure someone will rip the tracks and rehost them online.

Having a digital copy kind of defeats the niche purpose of making 7"s.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or, y'know, if they have Tip the Van providing back-up vocals again. :pervert:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best thing about an RBF/Aquabats! tour is that I can take my Mom and my younger brother and everyone will skank and have a good time.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaffleZombie posted:

I just saw Less Than Jake the past two nights in small venues in the Philly suburbs, and the bit of news they shared: they just recorded an EP of TV theme songs. They played something off it I completely didn't recognize, which makes me feel good about myself because apparently it was for iCarly.

Also, I got to hear them play National Anthem. Finally. Love that song.

So it's a new version of "G-Man Training Target?"

It's actually kind of cool to hear LTJ is doing another covers album. It's been a while.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My record collection exceeds a 4'x4' box...

Only about a dozen ska LPs in there, though.

"Club Ska '67" is probably the coolest of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Red Blue posted:

I guess I probably missed this somewhere but Less Than Jake is doing an album of TV show themes? This Animaniacs one sure brings back some memories http://www.punknews.org/bands/lessthanjake

TV show covers are an LTJ staple.

http://lessthanjake.wikia.com/wiki/G-Man_Training_Target