Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
This thread brought back a lot of memories.

The Philly ska scene was pretty ridiculous in the late '90s, early 2000s. We had this awesome local band called "Eighty Proof Soul" They had great musicians, and their singer had a great voice and was really beautiful. I may have to upload a few .mp3s from their one and only record for you guys, really high quality. I first got into playing trombone from this band. I actually bought my first one from their trombone player back then.

I don't listen to anything now except for Rx Bandits, but even they have evolved to something more like a political jam band with distant ska roots. My favorite old song from them was "Who Would've Thought" and "Gun in Your Hand".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

lessthankyle posted:

I haven't been to a philly show in a while, but what happened to SGR? They were one of my absolute favorites, but suddenly dropped off after their lastest record release.

Yeah I only remember them coming out with Tenby Chase. I followed them around town for a long time after I heard that album.

Didn't they have a contest to guess what SGR stands for? I think it was Smoking Glass Richard. Great name for a band.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Thornes posted:

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

What? :(

The first time I ever saw them was at The Balcony at The Trocadero Theater. It was late January, the Eagles were playing the Packers in the Playoffs that year so I think it was 2003. I remember running from the band to the TV in the other half of the room to see the game. Also, weren't they from Michigan or Wisconsin? It's so weird that they played a show in Philly.

It's really sad to hear they broke up because I always loved them because their trombone player was their lead singer. Guy must of had lungs of a marathon runner. Also, I play trombone, :c00lbert: , so I know how hard that really is. I bought a sticker that night too, it's still on my TI-83 graphing calculator to this day. I still answer questions about it in class.