Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Very old skool, but maybe Boy’s Life?

I actually know and love Boy's Life. They're great. Appreciate the rec though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I was gonna post in the general rec thread but I've got kind of a weird request: does anyone know if there are any midwest emo-style bands out there that mix the twinkly guitar thing they all do with harsh noise? I'm not talking like "noise rock" or shoegaze like Parannoul or what a lot of the so-called fifth wave bands seem to be doing, it's cool and I like it, I'm just curious if there's a blend of the two. I feel like the beauty of the whole midwest style of playing would sound really cool if someone ran it through a bunch of distortion pedals.
Failing that, does anyone know of any raw/lo-fi stuff in this style that isn't the brave little abacus or nouns? I like both of them just fine, but I'm looking for something I haven't heard before.

Thanks!

i'm trying to wrack my brain for that sound, but nothing quite hits the mark. the closest thing i can get is somewhere between these two bands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jR_M2hsV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OriSm8tUgi4

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i'm trying to wrack my brain for that sound, but nothing quite hits the mark. the closest thing i can get is somewhere between these two bands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jR_M2hsV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OriSm8tUgi4

No worries I figured it was kind of super-esoteric request for the genre. The idea popped into my head and I was just wondered if anyone had got there before me.

I love wild nothing. Laced is a new one on me so I appreciate having a new band to check out, thanks!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New PUP album announced. Preorder: https://store.puptheband.com/collections/featured-us

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

see u there

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Holy poo poo it's Warped Tour 2006 and I am HERE FOR IT

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao that lineup is insane.

Good for the Linda lindas though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

camoseven posted:

Holy poo poo it's Warped Tour 2006 and I am HERE FOR IT

Warped Tour 2006 had ETID... :cry:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Car Seat Headrest is kind of left field on that card.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

More than one of those bands is at the height of their power, I wonder how they feel about being booked for a throwback festival.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Fuckin Kittie lmao I still remember every word to Brackish from like 6th grade

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Ain’t no way that’s all fitting in a day

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Ain’t no way that’s all fitting in a day

It should have been 3 days

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
drat, did Thursday really fall so far off the map to deserve such low billing? I guess the fact that I haven't heard anybody talk about them since 2006 probably answers that question.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’ve heard that maybe the folks putting this whole show on are kind of awful? Anyone know anything?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I’ve heard that maybe the folks putting this whole show on are kind of awful?

lol you don’t say

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I’ve heard that maybe the folks putting this whole show on are kind of awful? Anyone know anything?

A concert promoter Bad? Surely this cannot be

It's loving livenation which is ticketmaster. Yes they're huuuuge and there's a lot of negative that goes with that, but honestly after dealing with every manner of shady local promoter for a few decades dealing with livenation is a dream. They have their poo poo together and actually like uhh pay people. Not really many other promoters that could put something like this together so I'm not surprised.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 19, 2022

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lester Shy posted:

drat, did Thursday really fall so far off the map to deserve such low billing? I guess the fact that I haven't heard anybody talk about them since 2006 probably answers that question.

Hey listen if you aren't putting on Full Collapse once a week that's a personal problem.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
We have a yearly festival that kind of fits the demographic that that festival appeals to here in the UK called Slam Dunk, it never gets to that line ups level but the amount of nostalgia is ridiculous.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Camp Cope announced a new album for March. Here's the title track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQmcR2wZFc

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

The only thing I really remember about thursday is the drummer's hair. Dude had an industrial fan blowing in his face at warped tour and his hair was flying all over the place. Their set was good I guess, but that's what stuck with me a couple decades later.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I mean, 2006 was their last album on a major label so it tracks they stopped getting press around then. The Thursday / Envy split and their last album No Devolución were good though. They've been on and off broken up since then and only really touring.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Lol someone from Senses Fail said on Instagram they had no idea they were playing.

“Man that looks really cool! I wish we were doing that! And then the other guys text me and are like ‘dude is this real or is this fake?’”

I’m sure this is going to go smoothly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Fyre fest for the scene kid in all of us*

*not me though. I’m cool.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Lester Shy posted:

The most recent thing that Rickly has been involved with (iirc) is United Nations and they kick rear end

hardcoremark
May 6, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

The most recent thing that Rickly has been involved with (iirc) is United Nations and they kick rear end

He's also in No Devotion, better known in these parts as Minus The Nonce

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lester Shy posted:

I mean half those bands formed because of Full Collapse, they are basically The Godfathers of this whole scene

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean half those bands formed because of Full Collapse, they are basically The Godfathers of this whole scene

It's amazing to go back and look at how the album was received at the time versus in retrospect. I'm also surprised that Pitchfork has never gone and done a re-review.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so what is exactly on the cover of Full Collapse?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard about 7 of those bands and actually listened to maybe 5.

Of course in 2006 I was 16 but only into British 70s punk and whatever local hardcore bands there were*. This entire scene passed me by entirely.

Stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag6udd6xbMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6awMhkQkVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe7Nxao_jE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-RfVQ192s

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 20, 2022

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

well why not posted:

so what is exactly on the cover of Full Collapse?

I always thought it was seats in a waiting room

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bape Culture posted:

I always thought it was seats in a waiting room

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Inspector_666 posted:

It's amazing to go back and look at how the album was received at the time versus in retrospect. I'm also surprised that Pitchfork has never gone and done a re-review.

They've gone on record saying they have no intention of writing these words back down.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Schremp Howard posted:

Lol someone from Senses Fail said on Instagram they had no idea they were playing.

“Man that looks really cool! I wish we were doing that! And then the other guys text me and are like ‘dude is this real or is this fake?’”

I’m sure this is going to go smoothly.

https://twitter.com/SensesFail/status/1483505636310544386?t=qK5j7el1z_YwOBa1algwRA&s=19

They seem to be promoting it on their own twitter.

Cant wait to buy presale vip tomorrow!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

see u there

there are 22 bands on this list I want to see.

I am 40 years old.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

All of those bands on one day? How many stages? Who are the sponsors? No way this thing works out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Happy Hippo posted:

All of those bands on one day? How many stages? Who are the sponsors? No way this thing works out.

It’s three stages and runs from 11am to 11pm. Add in set and equipment changes between bands, I don’t see how you get through everyone unless they’re all playing sub-30 minute sets.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imaging a grindcore festival with twice as many bands. They'd be done by noon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The discourse about “you’ll never see every band at once” would still be true if the event were 3 days long. This is how events have always run, even at Warped Tour you never had a chance to see everyone, and those events were 2-3 days. It’s ludicrous to expect to go to a festival and just have all 30 bands play on one stage one-after-the-other. That’s not a festival, that’s YouTube, what you’re describing is a YouTube playlist.

I mean, some of us are gonna have to make some tough choices, and some of us are gonna catch the first 25 minutes My Chem’s set and then sprint across the parking lot in time to see Hayley pull an overweight teen out of the crowd to help sing Misery Business. It’s gonna be a good time.

Also it’s Vegas, there’s no way Midnight is a hard cut, the show will almost certainly run long, as long as we’re still buying $9 beers there will be music and about 50 different acoustic afterparties. You’ll be able to find Anthony Green and Jonny Craig unplugged sets all night long I’m sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imaging a grindcore festival with twice as many bands. They'd be done by noon.

I think this is basically just Maryland Deathfest, which iirc is happening around the same time.

Only two bands on When We Were Young that I give the slightest gently caress about are Thursday and Glassjaw but I'm very much looking forward to the inevitable shitshow being relayed on social media like Fyre Festival or that one Hellfest that got cancelled last minute after all the bands showed up.