Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hardest to read line up poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I know this isn't the metal thread but goddamn do I wish I could go to this

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Why did they write the same band name over and over?

Also really want to go.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
When We Were Young Festival Adds Second Date With Same Lineup

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why did they write the same band name over and over?

This is nothing compared to the smaller scale festivals that feature exclusively slam/brutal death metal bands.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ok this is absurd.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok this is absurd.
They're not even splitting it in half lmao :dafuq:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic posted:

They're not even splitting it in half lmao :dafuq:

Yeah they realized the problem and then did the most high-effort option that doesn't actually really solve anything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imaging a grindcore festival with twice as many bands. They'd be done by noon.

I went to Zesta Grande in 2019 (just one night), and I think 2 or 3 bands had sub 10 minute sets lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Toe Rag posted:

I went to Zesta Grande in 2019 (just one night), and I think 2 or 3 bands had sub 10 minute sets lol

I love Ampere and saw them so many times when I was in college but their sets were almost hilariously short.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once went to a show where a band spent about five minutes explaining in great detail the story behind a song and who wrote it and why and then the song itself was less than 3 seconds.

A great bit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I once went to a show where a band spent about five minutes explaining in great detail the story behind a song and who wrote it and why and then the song itself was less than 3 seconds.

A great bit.

I loving love grindcore.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I loving love grindcore.

It really is the punkest of metal subgenres

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
people out here saying sunny day real estate comin back

idk how they do it while dave grohl is touring tho

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think this is basically just Maryland Deathfest, which iirc is happening around the same time.

Only two bands on When We Were Young that I give the slightest gently caress about are Thursday and Glassjaw but I'm very much looking forward to the inevitable shitshow being relayed on social media like Fyre Festival or that one Hellfest that got cancelled last minute after all the bands showed up.

Yeah i was just thinking that a) when we were young is a loving pathetic name for a festival where most people are going to be in their 30s and b) i only like glassjaw, thursday, and la dispute there and i've already seen glassjaw and thursday a lot of times in better environments. it's already very funny though

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Was phone posting earlier, didn't have a chance to find this

Inspector_666 posted:

I love Ampere and saw them so many times when I was in college but their sets were almost hilariously short.

I am so bummed right now that I never got to see Orchid.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

FreudianSlippers posted:

A great bit.

It's not a race guys!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No TV performance has ever made me happier than Napalm Death going on TFI Friday which was both kind of an alternative and mainstream Friday evening TV show in the UK that would air at… 6pm I believe? Then get repaired again in the evening which really was it’s true spot. They liked pushing the boundaries and goading things that would get them fined, as it would go out live.

Host Chris Evans is clearly genuinely loving delighted by having them on.

https://youtu.be/US3P-4bcSic

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
When We Were Young more like Alexisonfyre Festival

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why do people think the event will be like Fyre Fest? I’m not seeing any link between the two. livenation is one of the biggest event organizers in the country, they produced literally thousands of shows like this before.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 22, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

John Romero posted:

people out here saying sunny day real estate comin back

idk how they do it while dave grohl is touring tho

Its bass in an emo band, literally anyone who's seen a guitar in passing can do it. The hardest part will be doing the signature bass dance Nate Mendel has done every single time he's played ever. The trick is to do it at the same tempo for every song while somehow having a career that spans like 20 albums and not having a single song that matches the dance tempo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wasn’t able to get tickets for When We We’re Young and I’m pretty bummed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

omg chael crash posted:

It was probably impossible. People from all 50 states and Canada and Mexico were all also trying to buy tickets. It’s the biggest emo line up in 20 years and most of us are never gonna grow up or grow out of it, so you’ve got multiple generations of scene kids chasing the dragon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kingo Ligma posted:

Its bass in an emo band, literally anyone who's seen a guitar in passing can do it. The hardest part will be doing the signature bass dance Nate Mendel has done every single time he's played ever. The trick is to do it at the same tempo for every song while somehow having a career that spans like 20 albums and not having a single song that matches the dance tempo.

SDRE bass parts are much more complicated than Foo Fighters!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

There's gonna be a huge wave of 2000s emo/punk/metal core fests and shows coming just based on history and the response to wwwy. Every single big promoter out there is paying attention to this and seeing dollar signs. Fret not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s probably a response to the fact that modern music is trash and everyone with Spotify has begun to realize that rock music peaked in 2006 when we were all buying skinny jeans and swooping our hair

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s probably a response to the fact that modern music is trash and everyone with Spotify has begun to realize that rock music peaked in 2006 when we were all buying skinny jeans and swooping our hair

I've discovered more new bands and more awesome music in the last couple years than the preceding decade combined. 2019 alone was a loving insane year for new music. 2020 and 2021 werent AS crazy but still tons of good new poo poo coming out

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it’s a nostalgia thing for people of a certain age for the most part. I’m outside of it so other than about 6 bands (half of whom are pretty new, ironically) that poster is full of garbage poo poo to me and my idea of actual hell is being trapped there.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Imagine saying modern music is trash in response to a comment about that garbage heap of a festival. The bands that are making music now in the ballpark of bands on that bill are infinitely better. Most of the best bands from that generation aren't even on it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Music was good when I was young and bad when I was old and it’s literally always been that way since the first caveman bonked a rock on a skull.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Why do people think the event will be like Fyre Fest? I’m not seeing any link between the two. livenation is one of the biggest event organizers in the country, they produced literally thousands of shows like this before.

They tried to lump way too many bands into one day before adding a second, at least 2 bands found out they were "booked" from the show announcement itself which sounds fishy as gently caress, and that same organization also ran Astroworld recently which resulted in dead bodies and hella lawsuits.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They tried to lump way too many bands into one day before adding a second, at least 2 bands found out they were "booked" from the show announcement itself which sounds fishy as gently caress, and that same organization also ran Astroworld recently which resulted in dead bodies and hella lawsuits.
This and also they were charging as much as a multi day festival would cost for a single day festival before they added the second day, and the second day has the same lineup, so it's still gonna be like ~60 bands in 12 hours or something ridiculous like that. Seems like a logistical nightmare to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but it’s also gonna be a really hilarious mosh pit of blown knees and thrown backs and literally thousands of people who are standing on the edge of the pit seething with desire but they don’t wanna risk it because they have kids or something and goddam it that sounds so awesome and funny and cool to be a part of, I would do anything to do be there lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kingo Ligma posted:

The reformed SDRE will play nothing off of Diary so what’s the point?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol @ the Horrorpops getting lost and ending up at an emo show.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Imagine saying modern music is trash in response to a comment about that garbage heap of a festival. The bands that are making music now in the ballpark of bands on that bill are infinitely better. Most of the best bands from that generation aren't even on it.

What are the good bands that aren't on that lineup?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Motion City Soundtrack and Coheed belong there, I would easily trade Hawthorne Heights for either of them lol

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Motion City, Coheed, Saves the Day, Thrice, TREOS, Underoath, Emery, Circa, Funeral for a Friend, Alexisonfire... there are a ton of bands way better than some of the dogshit on that list like Atreyu and Senses Fail.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Say what you will about Atreyu's music. They're some of the nicest dudes I ever worked with which pretty much guarantees I'm gonna be a fan.

Other notable nice guys: Cattle Decapitation, The Catheters, A Wilhelm Scream

Buttholes: Leftover Crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hoobastank
Our Lady Peace
Fountains of Wayne