Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Jawbreaker got announced for Riot Fest. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Schremp Howard posted:

got my tickets in november, gently caress yeah

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Schremp Howard posted:

after Danzig last year, and Jawbreaker this year, we can all safely conclude that the dude running RiotFest gives the best head on this planet.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Danzig isn't a total washup now?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Danzig isn't a total washup now?

I think it was more the idea of Danzig being willing to do the drat thing with the Misfits again. Pretty sure that was court ordered though. I haven't bothered, how bad was the EP they made with him?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
don't miss this one

https://ihatesex.bandcamp.com/album/world-of-grief

http://daycrush.limitedrun.com/products/590012-i-hate-sex-world-of-grief-lp-cassette-shirt

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i don't think I like it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Are there good bands coming out? Like, does this generation have a Taking Back Sunday, Brand New or Thursday equivalent that would appeal to my hipster 30 year old ears?

Or am I stuck listening to the same 50 records forever?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Are there good bands coming out? Like, does this generation have a Taking Back Sunday, Brand New or Thursday equivalent that would appeal to my hipster 30 year old ears?

I don't know if you can ask for a new Taking Back Sunday and call yourself a hipster at the same time.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Bust Rodd posted:

Make War.
PUP.
Pears.

We go over this every other thread.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm seeing Thursday tonight, who needs new bands!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I just saw them like two weeks ago it was bliss but I don't want to willfully ignore it if there is other good music in the genre happening. i'm scared of getting old!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taking Back Sunday have put out like at least 3 or 4 albums since the last time I really followed them closely, and while I haven't heard them all the way through, snippets I have heard indicate that they're pretty far from the band I fell in love with when I was like 12.

While neither punk nor hardcore, the new American Football album was unexpectedly amazing and still gets regular listens from me, and there are bands like The Story So Far that kind of scratch the itch that old TBS used to, but it's definitely not the same scene it used to be.

But yeah, PEARS are loving great.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Taking Back Sunday sucked and always sucked and the real punks made fun of you for wearing those shirts.

Smith Street Band, Pup, Jeff Rosenstock...these are good bands right now and way better than that dog poo poo. Thursday was good for a couple albums.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thursday are one of the best bands of all time and I love them

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You have to know deep down that they are just pretty good, right? I mean Full Collapse and the EP after it are really good but they are super of their time and then the following CD is just OK.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

Taking Back Sunday sucked and always sucked and the real punks made fun of you for wearing those shirts.

Smith Street Band, Pup, Jeff Rosenstock...these are good bands right now and way better than that dog poo poo. Thursday was good for a couple albums.

It's weird how different people have different tastes isn't it? Anyone making fun of anyone else for liking something is what grownups make fun of other people for. Actions not tastes. Dick.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I know. But they were like the sound track to my growing up.
Waiting and full collapse I could listen to every day and still love.
Funny how we have these daft connections to stuff we know is kinda bad isn't it.
I'm old.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Nah Bape I'm old too I get it. If you talked poo poo about get up kids I'd come at your throat.

I do think SideOneDummy has done a good job at putting out albums that young me would like and old me appreciates. Not sure what to suggest to you for Thursday like stuff tho.

*puts on Moneen*

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The new Sorority Noise album is good and might be up the alley of the dude who was asking about new bands other than Thursday or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4k_pQW5N0

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Also maybe the world is a beautiful place and I am no longer afraid to die.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you like sorority noise you can listen to the new old grey record which is the same guy and also one of the most depressing albums I have ever heard.

It wasn't me asking for recommendations btw. I listen to pianos become the teeth and envy exclusively now.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

If you like sorority noise you can listen to the new old grey record which is the same guy and also one of the most depressing albums I have ever heard.

It wasn't me asking for recommendations btw. I listen to pianos become the teeth and envy exclusively now.

Not many songs make me cringe in a good way, but that one spoken word song sure does.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

Not many songs make me cringe in a good way, but that one spoken word song sure does.

Same. It's horrendous

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

angrygodofjebus posted:

I'm seeing Thursday tonight, who needs new bands!

Likewise. I realized the other day I haven't bought a ticket in the last year to see anyone that has been relevant in drat near 20 years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Touché Amore also put out a great sad album recently (and are on tour with Thursday)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bands I Grew Up Loving:
Taking Back Sunday
Brand New
My Chemical Romance
Coheed & Cambria
Panic! @ the Disco
Fallout Boy
Thursday
Alkaline Trio

Bands I started listening to recently that I 'missed the boat' on but am now super into:
The Used
Chiodos
Circa Survive
Isles & Glaciers
Saosin
Tiger's Jaw
Bayside

So now I guess I'm gonna look up PUP, PEARS, Make War, Touche' Amore, Sorority Noise//Old Grey. TWIABPAIANLATD is an amazing band and I love the gently caress out of them. I come back to this music basically every fall & winter and am just trying to work some more of the same into rotation. I like shredier/riff heavy hardcore when i can find it, but the super sadboi melodic stuff is always aces...

Sorry if this is old hat, I never realized we had a punk/emo/hardcore thread until like a week ago.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Let's all listen to mineral and saetia.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bape Culture posted:

Thursday are one of the best bands of all time and I love them

I got tickets to both NYC dates and I am so goddamned hyped for those shows. Especially since them sharing a bill with Touche Amore was like, my fantasy lineup that I thought would never happen.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The new Sorority Noise album is good and might be up the alley of the dude who was asking about new bands other than Thursday or whatever.

I love half of the album but am bored with half of it, but I was around when it was white belts and black pants so I'm too old I think. 'First Letter from Saint Sean' and "Second Letter From St. Julien' are amazing, and No Halo is my new favorite poppy jam, but most of the rest is boring to me.

Bape Culture posted:

This and

this. I've felt that way about all of their music though.

Bape Culture posted:

Let's all listen to mineral and saetia.

I still do. :(

Inspector_666 posted:

I got tickets to both NYC dates and I am so goddamned hyped for those shows. Especially since them sharing a bill with Touche Amore was like, my fantasy lineup that I thought would never happen.

That's insane. I saw Thursday 16 years ago and they were fun though it was around a BMX/Motocross show.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Bands I Grew Up Loving:
Taking Back Sunday
Brand New
My Chemical Romance
Coheed & Cambria
Panic! @ the Disco
Fallout Boy
Thursday
Alkaline Trio

Bands I started listening to recently that I 'missed the boat' on but am now super into:
The Used
Chiodos
Circa Survive
Isles & Glaciers
Saosin
Tiger's Jaw
Bayside

So now I guess I'm gonna look up PUP, PEARS, Make War, Touche' Amore, Sorority Noise//Old Grey. TWIABPAIANLATD is an amazing band and I love the gently caress out of them. I come back to this music basically every fall & winter and am just trying to work some more of the same into rotation. I like shredier/riff heavy hardcore when i can find it, but the super sadboi melodic stuff is always aces...

Sorry if this is old hat, I never realized we had a punk/emo/hardcore thread until like a week ago.

On top of what's already been mentioned, this should be in your wheelhouse too (and not generally discussed in this thread for being on the poppier side (except for The Hotelier))
Microwave
The Hotelier
Moose Blood
Turnover
Hot Mulligan
Modern Baseball
Trophy Eyes
Pentimento

also, first wave of bands for Fest dropped and poo poo's looking dope

Atom and His Package, goddamn

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 22, 2017

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm rolling alone to the Saturday show and couldn't be any more excited. Also they're playing at McCarren with The Hotelier, Pup, and Rosenstock for free in June.

I think I'm also gonna go to the Pkew show in Brooklyn in may.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Also they're playing at McCarren with The Hotelier, Pup, and Rosenstock for free in June.

Yes, I think I got a ticket to that? I'm not sure how the non-Northside badge admission works.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
To the goon who likes Brand New and Taking Back Sunday check out Balance and Composure. The last album was pretty meh but Separation is awesome.

Honestly you can probably find free samplers for these labels and be set:

No Sleep
Run For Cover
Topshelf

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
This thread is making me feel old because I was like 24 when Taking Back Sunday and Brand New were relevant. Oh well, at least Mr. T Experience put out a new album and Jawbreaker is reuniting. :corsair:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ferrule posted:

Make War.
PUP.
Pears.

We go over this every other thread.

Pears is basically the best band.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
PUP is loving awesome.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Also, Meatwave is real good.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm rolling alone to the Saturday show and couldn't be any more excited. Also they're playing at McCarren with The Hotelier, Pup, and Rosenstock for free in June.

I think I'm also gonna go to the Pkew show in Brooklyn in may.

Sweet didn't know pkew was going to be here just got a ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
no doubt this is old news, but I've only just run across Brad Nowell's son, Jakob's, band, LAW. Shows promise I think. Not on par with Sublime, imo, but not bad.