Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I was really surprised by the varieties of rock represented in the album. People on Reddit are like "It sounds like Nirvana/The Smiths/Led Zeppelin/REM/Simon And Garfunkel!" and they're ALL right.

The one thing it doesn't sound like, though? Your Favorite Weapon. Which I am totally okay with.
I Am A Nightmare sounded a ton like YFW and that was the last thing they released before this, so I expected the new album to sound more like that. Like old Brand New.

It...uhh...definitely doesn't...

It's probably their most experimental album yet. I had to replay it from the beginning after I finished listening to it the first time, which rarely happens with albums for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, I love Your Favorite Weapon, I've had all the lyrics memorized since I got it. I was dirt poor and because I couldn't afford the CD I connected a cassette player to the computer and taped the songs as they streamed through Real Player from Razor & Tie's website over our dialup connection. This took me two weeks because I only got one hour of computer time a week and sometimes the stream would fail. I was loving determined to have that album.

While I enjoyed the return to the YFW style that I Am A Nightmare had, I have to say that, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate TDAGARIM-on Brand New a lot more than their first two records, and I'm glad that Science Fiction continues to feature the band evolving and changing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Absolutely. I listened to Devil and God in full again last year on the 10 year anniversary and that album still holds up really drat well. There isn't a single bad/boring song on the entire thing. It's one of those perfect albums in my mind.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Having never tried to download an album onto my phone, I just found out that it doesn't work. Probably should've waited till it shows up on a supported service heh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the crazies on Reddit are already starting to convince themselves that Science Fiction isn't actually the last Brand New album, they're B-sides, and that the physical release will have the REAL last album. :laffo:

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Having never tried to download an album onto my phone, I just found out that it doesn't work. Probably should've waited till it shows up on a supported service heh.

One of the first things I did when I switched from the original iPhone to the T-Mobile G1 (the first Android phone) was to download an album from Rapidshare and see if I could unzip it and listen to it. It could, and ever since then I've been biased towards Android.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is this the same reddit lot who were convinced a second Kendrick Lamar record was going to drop 3 days after drat.? Not a good track record.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
... so is Brand New still disbanded? I have no idea what they're doing anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lelandjs posted:

So the crazies on Reddit are already starting to convince themselves that Science Fiction isn't actually the last Brand New album, they're B-sides, and that the physical release will have the REAL last album. :laffo:
If these are b-sides, they're the most impressive loving b-sides I've ever heard :roflolmao:

That's not happening, though. Reddit said the same thing about Metal Gear Solid V not being the REAL Metal Gear Solid 5 and the REAL one dropping later and that never happened lol

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I'm sure The King of Limbs 2 is coming out any day now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

virinvictus posted:

Releasing a new album, mostly.

Only on track 1 but I had to come express my excitement!!!!! gently caress yes!!!!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're also playing a festival I'm going to in October, so they're not completely broken up yet I guess?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They released tickets for UK shows half an hour ago but they're £40 and I dunno if I can justify that after seeing them last year (or maybe the year before I forget now)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished the album, and drat, it's great! Definitely have a better first impression than I did with Daisy (it helps that all the lyrics appear to have been written by Jesse so there aren't any kinda crappy insanely simplistic Vince rhymes). Same Logic/Teeth, 137, Out of Mana, Desert, and 451 are my favourites so far - that classic rock sound in the latter is real nice, while Same Logic has maybe their best lyrics about depression, same wth Desert and the Christian right.

I'd say it's overall their least 'heavy' album but can still get up there when it wants to. It's a slightly more mature sound, but still quintessentially BN. Could end up being my second favourite album of theirs (nothing will ever beat Devil and God for me, I think), but I don't wanna say that too quickly.

I'm not sure if I would have preferred an album of mature-YFW like Mene and I Am A Nightmare. I feel like I would. But this is still fantastic and well worth the wait.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

virinvictus posted:

I'm assuming this is their last album, given those '2018' end dates thrown around at concerts last year.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Same Logic/Teeth such a cool song.

Love everything about the album, the cover, the title, the fact that we actually god a new Brand New album this decade, and most importantly the songs.

I liked "I Am a Nightmare" and even "Mene" but I'm glad the album as a cohesive whole is it's own.

I genuinely think Brand New is the closest thing to an "emo crossover band" in the sense of having credibility outside of the normal fans in the genre, kind of like how Kanye West got a lot of popularity from people who didn't normally listen to hip hop music in the mid-2000s. And just like Kanye each album has a very different style Brand New also never did the same thing twice.

Yes I know I'm probably going to get hated on for comparing Brand New to 'Ye in this thread but I still think the comparison works in those respects vOv

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Brand New is just doing the best job of growing up of any band from that generation. They were dirty island punk brats and now they are old rich dads and cancer survivors and business owners and they will rock forever.

I have no idea what this nightmare you keep talking about is, but this record is the best $9 I've spent all summer. I picked up my brother from work, we both work 4-midnight, and I told him about the release and he was like "oh well I guess we have no choice but to go home and buy it and listen to it before anything else" and I don't regret it one bit.

I saw them last fall with Modest Mouse and it was divine, I will endeavor to catch them again before their long, Radiohead-like hiatus.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why do you think they're rich?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

GoldfishStew posted:

Why do you think they're rich?

They're from a very affluent part of the country.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
After listening to the album a few more times I think Waste my be my favorite track off of it. If they release a single, though, I bet it's Same Logic/Teeth.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Found out about Dark Thoughts today and remembered that this thread existed :buddy:

For fans of: The Ramones, Teenage Bottle Rocket

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I was really surprised by the varieties of rock represented in the album. People on Reddit are like "It sounds like Nirvana/Pink Floyd/The Smiths/Led Zeppelin/REM/Simon And Garfunkel!" and they're ALL right.

The one thing it doesn't sound like, though? Your Favorite Weapon. Which I am totally okay with.

gently caress yourself Your Favorite Weapon rips

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Webbeh posted:

I'm assuming this is their last album, given those '2018' end dates thrown around at concerts last year.

new brand new album in 2018 let's do it boys

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's been a few days and I think "Waste" is my favorite Brand New song ever.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
So The Misfits are gonna end up touring the OG lineup aren't they....I mean at this point they've got to see how lucrative it would be and we all know they loving love money....

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

NEW PUP VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ty4QADcwgs

Choose your own adventure, it's pretty loving sweet

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

It's been a few days and I think "Waste" is my favorite Brand New song ever.

It sounds like an oasis song

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Bape Culture posted:

it's disarm + a pink floyd song + jessie lacey's voice but also probably the weakest on the album, to me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bape Culture posted:

drat, that bad?

(I never cared about Brand New anyway).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Science Fiction is probably gonna be #1 this week.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Saw The Murderburgers last night. They were very good and deserved a bigger audience.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Peter and the test tube babies have released new music in 2017.....it's just as poo poo as you'd imagine.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

poo poo in a good Oi way, or just poo poo?

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

NEW PUP VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ty4QADcwgs

Choose your own adventure, it's pretty loving sweet

This is awesome. PUP rules.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Escobarbarian posted:

Science Fiction is probably gonna be #1 this week.

Badass.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Phlegmish posted:

poo poo in a good Oi way, or just poo poo?

Just poo poo, they couldn't even be arsed to be in their own video

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are any of you making the pilgrimage to see Jawbreaker?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
DOn't sell heroin, kids.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ya

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Here's a reminder that Husker Du rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND3haD-c0lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tMoOJbc-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I am going to make the long trip to the other side of the city for it.