Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I dunno if any of you guys are gamers, but Grand Theft Auto IV will feature a hardcore radio station, and this is what it'll have so far:

GTA4 posted:

Liberty City Hardcore

DJ: Jimmy Gestapo
Genre: Hardcore Punk
Tracklist:

* Maximum Penalty - "All Your Boys"
* Killing Time - "Tell Tale"
* Bad Brains - "Right Brigade"
* Underdog - "Back to Back"
* The Sex Pistols - "Holidays in the Sun"
* Murphy's Law - "A Day in the Life"

Summary: Libery City Hardcore is a punk and hardcore music station hosted by Jimmy Gestapo, lead singer of New York based hardcore punk band Murphy's Law.

These are the known ones. Looks decent enough. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

<3 Tranny

I can't wait.

Also, I've been rocking Frodus lately and I dunno if they're kosher, but the last album they put out is loving awesome. Reminds me of Life at These Speeds for some reason.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

Screamo dudes, when is the Phoenix Bodies/La Quiete split supposed to come out? I just barely found out about it now.

And what's the deal with Louise Cyphre these days? Are they still "taking a break?" I haven't paid attention to this poo poo in forever.

Not sure on an exact date, but they're touring with La Quiete in August so I'm guessing either July or August.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Went to a show last night and was surprised by a really awesome-sounding pop-punk band called Living with Lions. I can't access MySpace on this computer, but from the show, they really sounded like Lifetime and Set Your Goals. Kick-rear end band.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

gently caress THE WEST COAST.

If I was rich I'd buy all of us tickets.

I'm not rich. :smith:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Bought Botch's We Are the Romans [deluxe] today as well as Blacklisted's new album.

And tickets to This is Hell / Blacklisted on June 17th :c00lbert:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I can't stand the new vocalist from Shai Hulud. Shame, too, since I liked the rest of their stuff.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

acup posted:

No offense Albert, but I can't take your opinion seriously because you listen to Radiohead.

Seriously, play some Funeral Diner.

don't worry bro, I like Radiohead too :ssh:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

Next time I want to take a nap, I will listen to Funeral Diner. I promise, dudes.

I like my emo brooding, tyvm

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Ceremony, Sabertooth Zombie and Life Long Tragedy are playing in Atlanta this Saturday, but MY GIRLFRIENDS sisters wedding which I already committed to going to is the same loving day.

I have a decision to make.

Paper-mâché, dude.

Make a copy of yourself, go to the wedding, bring it into the bathroom, put your suit on it and give it a bottle of wine. Then leave it there and go to the show.

Anyone asks, you were too drunk.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

acup posted:

I agree, which is why I made the example that I did. I was just asking why someone would brag about something stupid. Straight edge or not, bragging about doing or being something retarded makes you a retard.

Why is doing drugs and the discussion of drugs automatically "something stupid?" Why does it (again) automatically "make you a retard?" I smoke weed often and occasionally get drunk at big parties. Am I a retard? Are Rastafarians retards because smoking the ganja is essential to their religion?

I have straight edge friends and I fully respect their life decisions. However, if they started ostracizing me the minute I ingested a drop of alcohol (or me calling them out for not partaking), I'm not too sure we'd still be friends.

I don't mean to act like I know you personally, but you sound like a pretty big rear end in a top hat if you make generalizations like that.

Also, there's a difference between someone who's addicted and someone who's an enthusiast. A crack addict might pull a knife on you for money but I doubt Joe Smith, who smokes a joint every once in a while, is going to do the same.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 12, 2008

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I guess I misread her post, didn't see the mention of addict. In that case, I'm at fault. Sorry dude :shobon:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

acup posted:

I got my preordered copy of the new Her Breath on Glass LP. This thing is beautiful. They gave me a bonus 7 inch, a poster, and some patches with it. You really can't go wrong for 10 dollars.

I'm really glad that there are still some bands out there who put a lot into their releases and aren't trying to rake in the profits at the same time.

Do HBoG still use the lovely high-pitched vox from their older material? I really liked the instrumentals but the vocals threw me off every time. Funeral Diner used to do that sometimes before they took a turn for awesome.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Of course all Funeral Diner rules but still

I know, but I prefer the newer stuff because I have raging boners for the vox ;-*

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Angiepants posted:

LaGrecia leaked and it is spectacular, especially Hey Medic and Two Shotguns. New Alkaline Trio leaked too but I'm not even gonna bother, I know it's gonna be sickening. :(

Several people on the .org said it was like Crimson Part 2. Take that for what it's worth.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

This is Hell / Blacklisted tonight, loving stoked.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Parachute Underwear posted:

This is Hell / Blacklisted tonight, loving stoked.

So Blacklisted is banned from Canada and couldn't make it tonight. :smith:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Given their name, this is hilarious.

Haha, I know, but I've been waiting for about 3 weeks for this show. It's pretty much a dry-spell right now for good shows.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

lifeloveregret posted:

Salt the Pillars

Listen if you like: Majority Rule, Welcome the Plague Year. More songs coming soon.

Oh god this is so good. I loving love Majority Rule and this totally reminded me of them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

oh god this loving BAND

http://www.myspace.com/elderphiladelphia

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Kidcrash website posted:

You can stream selected KIDCRASH songs or download all KIDCRASH releases below.

Everything is for free, but you may donate something, if you like to support future releases of the band.

Kidcrash: "we ask that you make a $5 donation in support of helping us continue to afford to make new records and tour, but obviously our music is and must always be available to anyone who wants it regardless of an ability or a desire to make a donation; knowing as artists that: in the process of creating we produce works that by definition are the property of society, not the artist."

http://www.denovali.com/kidcrash/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Wamsutta posted:

I don't know what thread they belong in but can people recommend bands similar to Every Time I Die? I can't get enough of those guys. I love the vocals, the lyrics, the breakdowns, the grungy Southern-rock feel they picked up the last two albums... all of it.

Anterrabae's the only band I've encountered I'd bill as being similar.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass and didn't use the Recommendation thread... I'm heading over there now.

http://www.myspace.com/mayleneandthesonsofdisaster

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Triangulum posted:

I'm not looking for the obvious like The Donnas (ugh), Sleater-Kinney, or poo poo like that. As for non-standard instruments, I'm talking about things like how The Adicts have a violinist and X Ray Spex has a sax player. tia

Not punk per se, but check out I Would Set Myself on Fire for You and 1905. Not fully-female bands, but both have female members.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Punknews.org posted:

Popular UK-based social music site Last.fm will put their Artist Royalty Program into effect next Wednesday. The program will give artists a percentage of the revenue earned from the ads that run alongside their streaming music. Wired carried the following statement from site co-founder Martin Stiksel:

This is a big day for DIY artists. We’re leveling the playing field by offering them the same opportunities as established bands to make money from their music. The young musician making music in a bedroom studio has the same chance as the latest major label signing to use Last.fm to build an audience and get rewarded.

The site already pays artists through rights organizations. Over 450,000 tracks have reportedly been uploaded as part of the Royalty program.

Wired's report raises and interesting point in comparing Last.fm (which grew out of the playlist-tracking Audioscrobbler software) with social media giant MySpace. MySpace plans to compensate major labels with a share of ad revenue, but it's unclear if or when such opportunities will open for indie labels or unsigned artists.

http://www.punknews.org/article/29630

Sweet deal, in my opinion.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Holy gently caress, the Hellmouth demo sounds loving amazing

http://www.myspace.com/666hellmouth

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

mrmanatee posted:

I saw that show in Philly but it wasn't that great. Then again I'm not really into either band that much.

Speaking of, how can I become informed of shows in Philly? I'm used to Austin where I can go to one website for every show ever.

Here in Ottawa we have a group of dudes who work at a record shop and take care of most shows, so I subscribed to their facebook group and get notices for pretty much everything.

Otherwise, lampposts.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

2 new songs from the Narrows album popped up and they're loving awesome. Dave is loving awesome.

It kind of reminds me of Botch meets Majority Rule or something.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Skullthrone posted:

Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Thrice and Gaslight Anthem are playing in Denver in November. I plan on going, but can anyone tell me what kind of show those bands put on? I like RA, Thrice and Alkaline Trio, for what it's worth. Do they have a good stage presence?

Thrice get mixed results depending on the show, but apparently the new stuff is awesome. And if the .orgers from Punknews are right, you won't be disappointed with Gaslight Anthem.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Actually Thrice's last album is probably their worst in my opinion, but I think that's just because they were playing out their limited concept idea. They're still one of the best bands out there.

I dunno, I think Dustin's a great lyricist (except for the Fire album, which seemed very contrived) v:shobon:v

Plus, they covered Frodus on Earth.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

He is a great lyricist but Air sounds like indie-pop and Earth sounds like B-sides from his acoustic work aside from the Frodus cover (which rules).

Fire and Water were awesome, that and Vheissu are kind of tied as their best album for me.

I liked Vheissu at the beginning, but then when I listened to it a few years later I realized how genius that album is. I'm pretty sure it's a huge metaphor about the bible or something too, but whatever.

Say what you will about Air, but Daedelus is the best song. :colbert:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

I hate any song Dustin writes about that theme any more, he's written too many. See You in the Shallows, Melting Point of Wax, Stare at the Sun and Daedalus are all basically the same poo poo.

Vheissu isn't about the Bible, Moths to Flame is about Judas betraying Jesus but everything else on that album has no relation to Christianity. Jesus-freaks love to act like they're a Christian rock act and all the other songs are about poo poo they're not though.

/random Thrice derail

Blame my stoned idiosyncrasies then :v: I'm not a Christian or anything.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Skullthrone posted:

Do you think they confuse Dustin's solo stuff with the songs he writes when he's working on Thrice material? I noticed his solo album was a little more spiritually oriented than any of Thrice's albums.

I loved his solo album. Great stuff to road trip to at night. I really like that they're doing their own thing though, even if it means they might alienate some of their old fans. Some of the results (Water) are amazing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Holy gently caress I just discovered Le pré où je suis mort and goddamn that band is amazing.

:france:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Listen to Daïtro and Sed Non Satiata ASAP if you haven't already.

I already listen to pretty much that whole conglomerate of french emo bands (Celeste, Belle époque, Daitro, SNS, Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, etc.). France can do no wrong. :)

Thanks, though.

COCKISPOINSON posted:

Was loving stoked that Yaphet Kotto didn't play because Mag the Rapist decided to get shitfaced at a bar and be so late to the show his band had already given up, packed up and left.

Mag the Rapist?

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 6, 2008

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Well good. Belle Epoque and Daitro are probably my favorites. I'd go as far as saying Daitro is possibly better than Funeral Diner and Envy. Possibly.

I really both of them but I'm a total fag for both FD and Envy. The latter two just know how to build an amazing loving atmosphere that Daitro and BE are almost able to reproduce as well, but aren't quite there yet.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Gourmet Pez posted:

Whoa. Hadn't heard of this before. What's the deal with Casey being sketchy?

Me neither. That's a shame because Syncopated Synthetic Laments For Love is one of my favourite records. Bummer :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Back to college last Wednesday and couldn't sleep the night before, but I listened to the new Gaslight Anthem album on my way to school and holy poo poo it cheered me up. Awesome summer album.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ozean posted:

I don't know if it's really the right place for this, but These Arms Are Snakes put a song from their new album Tail Swallower & Dove up on their myspace. It's Red Line Season if you couldn't tell.
Anyway, I'm a fan.

TAAS is awesome. I'm stoked for the new album.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Cowboy Kyle posted:

Hey that doesn't sound bad, i'll have to check out this bands other albums. Their page also reminded me that bumbershoot in Seattle, WA is coming up in a week. Anyone else going to that?

Their older stuff (pre-Easter) remind me of Drive Like Jehu a lot, but with a more hardcore edge. Also, they're doing a split with Minus the Bear! Now, if only Narrows contributed something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ozean posted:

Prince Squid is a loving badass song.

edit: Oh yeah the album leaked in case anyone was wondering.

all over dis

United Nations have a stream up. It's pretty's awesome, and Koller's drumming is ace as usual.