Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Fest
I just found some videos of the Ergs playing at last year's and ho-lee poo poo
I would love to go see these guys play, especially since most of the bands I'd like to see are on hiatus/broken up
Looking at you, Descendents. Time for a new album already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wish I could go, I'd love to see the Souls again. I saw them about a month ago in this tiny venue. We had probably 60 people crammed into a space that could hold maybe 30-35.
It was the best show I've ever seen. Opened with Hopeless Romantic and Say Anything, and it just got better from there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just heard that the Ergs are breaking up
They're doing shows till November, putting out another 7", and calling it quits

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd like for Mikey to start something new after the Ergs break up
I'd also like for the Steinways to stay together long enough for me to see them

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 7, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh right on then
Part of the reason I dig the Ergs so much is I love his vocals
gently caress I just missed a chance to see Used Kids in Albany

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I checked out their myspace. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing them play
I'd rather see the Steinways play than just about anybody else at this point. When Ben Weasel and Dan Vapid are your fans, you're doing something right.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah and Fat Mike called Death By Television the best pop-punk album ever
Everyone's wrong at some point

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like Death By Television and all but it's not the best pop-punk album ever. If I wanted to be a dick I'd say the Ramones are considered the first pop-punk band and that their first album was the greatest
Instead I'm going to say that Teenage Bottlerocket's Warning Device is a better album

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's on the b-side and we'll see

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ooh see I like the a-side better
Also I like Cool To Be You better than Milo Goes To College

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can we agree that Enjoy! was an abortion and should never have seen the light of day?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Milo is a really close second. The lack of any polishing is what keeps me from enjoying it as much as Cool To Be You.
Alternately, 18 months

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In other news if the line-up for Insubordination Fest '09 looks like this year's, I'm going to be there in a heartbeat.
The Queers have been there the last couple years, here's hoping they come back next year. Ditto The Steinways

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who was it that gave Ben Weasel poo poo about not liking the Lawrence Arms
Because you suck and so do they

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hindsight Is 20:20 My Friends is out now
I like it
Too bad they're breaking up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh hey look
Less Than Jake, the Ergs, and BTMI are playing on Long Island at the end of the month
Wish I would've known so I could've made some calls and gone
Dammit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

I wish I could make it to the Fest. It's such a tease for me. They're essentially telling me "oh, we're going to put every last one of your favorite bands on the same ticket. But, they're all going to play AS FAR AS POSSIBLE AWAY FROM WHERE YOU LIVE."

Bastards.

I have a friend who's going. I told him if I don't get some swag he's going to have problems.

Lately I've gotten on a Bad Religion, Descendents, Dag Nasty, and Black Flag kick. What else should I be listening to?
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XhQHN_scS0 Oh dear god why did Jason Mraz decide he should cover Blitzkrieg Bop?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 29, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Spin Milo in memory, folks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I heard the Ergs were putting out one last EP, That's It...Bye, at Fest or at their last show at the very latest. Confirm/deny

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A hundred times yes the Steinways. Missed The Boat is one of my favorite albums. 20 tracks, 21 minutes, 100 percent perfect.
Also check out Teenage Bottlerocket and maybe some Copyrights.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you get a Visa gift card and decide to order stuff from Interpunk with it, don't. I have to wait for a guy at another forum who works there to get back to me, or for the official response as to why my card was declined.
This is pretty bullshit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Screeching Weasel circa 1993

Is that My Brain Hurts, or is that Boogada? Either way, you're good to go.
And if you like that, the Queers' Love Songs for the Retarded

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have punk retrospectives every time I give my friend a ride home. We end up cycling through London Calling, Ramones, Queers, Weasel, and next time I'm going to get her to put on Descendents.
She doesn't like Descendents
I cite this as the reason that I don't want to be more than friends

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh no I mean I could live with "Eh they're alright I guess"
She straight up hates them. If we hadn't been like ten miles from her house at 1 AM I would've made her walk the rest of the way home after she said that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Paper Triangle posted:

1993 looks like Anthem for a New Tomorrow. Is that still good or should I go with Boogada or My Brain Hurts?

Go with My Brain Hurts, then Anthem, then Wiggle.
My Brain Hurts is easily the best of the three. Then move onto that Queers album, and then uhhh some Mr T Experience, Love Is Dead.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I saw Flatfoot 56 play the other night. They were touring with the Toasters, and my friends were opening that night, so I saw them at a local ska show.
Holy. loving. Jesus.
I'm not a fan of their music but wow that was an intense show. Couple walls of death, near constant pits, and I hadn't realized before that you're not truly living until you're moshing to Amazing Grace, complete with bagpipes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

These guys put on such a loving awesome show. Pizza throwing and monster fights and short movies, hell yeah! I hated Suburban Legends though.

Think you want the ska thread buddy
But seriously gently caress the Aquabats

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Your show could consist of personally bringing everyone in the audience to orgasm and it wouldn't balance out if you're the Aquabats

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Teenage Bottlerocket and The Ergs! have each put out their own contributions to that Under The Influence series.
Volume 4 is TBR covering Have A Blast by Green Day, and The Ergs! covering a Devo song.
The TBR cover is so drat good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

I agree. Although I'm really lovely at namedropping hardcore. Way better at namedropping pop punk.

The Nothingtons.

Team Stray
Now I could beat all of you with one hardcore name drop: Black Flag, circa Damaged
The end, thread's over, gently caress all y'all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone needs to check out Whole Wheat Bread, now.
It's three black kids from Jacksonville rocking the gently caress out. It's like Ben Weasel visits the ghetto. Greatest goddamn thing ever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
According to another forum I'm part of, they have a new album coming out called Hearts of Hoodlums or something similar. A friend of mine hooked me up with Minority Rules last night and it just blew me away.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think I saw Four Year Strong when I saw the Bouncing Souls this summer. Let me check...
EDIT: Yes. Yes I did. I spent their entire set on a couch over by the merch tables laughing at their synth guy. He was just trying so hard to look intense, kind of like that one guy in Dropkick Murphys who plays the mandolin and poo poo, and failed miserably.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 29, 2008

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Basically.
But then the Briggs went on after Four Year Strong and it was decent, so I stopped giving a poo poo about the terrible band.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Four Year Strong just seemed to be terrible generic hardcore with a synth guy that tried desperately to be cool to me.
But hey you know what
Maybe I was jaded because I was waiting for the Bouncing Souls to come on and they could've been rad as gently caress and I would've screamed at them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty much the only person I know that isn't completely crazy about this band. I don't know what it is, but I just don't see what's so special about them. I just can't get into them...

I've described them to friends as "Bouncing Souls minus anything redeeming." I just can't listen to them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I guess my town actually has a decent queercore scene. I'm tempted to check it out before I move this winter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh hey sweet, new Screeching Weasel album this year. Well, not really new or Screeching Weasel, it's Ben and Vapid doing all of My Brain Hurts live, with Cool Kids instead of I Can See Clearly and uhhh This Ain't Hawaii instead of Fathead. Plus a new Riverdales album, a Riptides/Queers split, and a new Queers full-length. Good year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Going to see the Swellers and A Wilhelm Scream in Rochester in two weeks, opening for Streetlight Manifesto.