Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Wasn't sure if I should have made a new thread for this, but:

quote:

We're very sorry to announce that founding member of The DESCENDENTS, and close friend Frank Navetta passed away on October 31, 2008 after becoming ill over the course of a few days. This is obviously a huge loss for the DESCENDENTS family. His contribution to the band, and to music in general can not be overstated. Frank will be truly missed. We will share information about memorial services when we find out.

http://www.punknews.org/article/31088

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Saw hour of the wolf playing with some local bands and wolves and thieves on thursday.

good show, all the bands played well, and hour of the wolf was tons of fun. Definitely will see them again next time I have a chance.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

yeah there were only 30 people tops at the show, but they really are some cool guys, and the show was lots of fun. I think they played an Iggy Pop cover, but I wasn't sure if it was or not.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

In the next 2 months I have these shows coming up, but I really doubt I can make it to ALL of them, so which ones would you recommend I absolutely must see?

Avengers/Pansy Division
Have Heart/Ceremony
Dredg/Rx Bandits
Bad Brains (are they still any good live? almost $30 worth good?)
Dillinger 4/Riverboat Gamblers
The Gaslight Anthem
The Get Up Kids
These Arms Are Snakes
The Queers/TA80
The Jesus Lizard
Strike Anywhere/Ruiner/Crime in Stereo
Melt Banana

AHHHH TOO MANY SHOWS IN TOO SHORT A TIME!

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Are you the guy who posted a similar list on Punknews?

Anyway, D4/RG and TAAS for sure.

Heh, no I'm not, but I did see that list, they're very similar because we live in the same city. Really I probably should've just gone back and read the responses to that, but I forgot what story it was written in.

I'm gonna be so broke these next few months, but its going to be so worth it.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

rivals posted:

Hahaha is that really one of the lyrics? If so :( Is anything since Reinventing Axl Rose worth checking out? I've heard mixed things about eveything more recent so I just never bothered with any of it.

I actually liked Eternal Cowboy quite a bit, but I can see where alot of people might not like it as much, New Wave, however, is incredibly lovely.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

I'm going to see Dillinger 4, playing with the Riverboat Gamblers, Young Offenders, and The Arrivals. The only band from these that I've seen live is the Riverboat Gamblers like 4 years ago.

On a scale of 1-100 about how pumped should I be? 1 is skipping it, not worth it, and 100 is poo poo in my pants for the next 2 weeks due to awesomeness.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

gerfatty posted:

So I just finished up a three-day stint of seeing Dillinger Four every night. I'm completely loving exhausted, but it was totally worth it. Those dudes are absurd live. Watched Paddy shave his head, then some other peoples' heads, and then his balls on stage. That was pretty absurd.
Hahaha I was right at the front of the stage for this and when his wiener popped out my brain basically exploded. Then he played the 2 encores with his dick hanging out. It was absolutely nuts.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

did you have like a leather looking jacket and blonde/reddish ponytail/beard type deal?

I was the short mexican with the hosed up lazy mohawk (it doesn't even look like it when its not up so it might've not even been noticeable) wearing a black zip-up over a bright yellow "shook ones" shirt.

I was standing next to the obnoxious fat dude who paddy told to stfu. also near the japanese dude with the really long hair.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

oh hey there were a few of us there, maybe we should've met up cause I was flying solo since I don't know many people in the city, and the ones I do know weren't down to go.

also of note, I had Xs on my hand, I felt like I was the only one in the entire place who wasn't over 21, :(

there's a few shows coming up that I really want to go to, but dunno if I will simply because I don't like going alone, and nobody in the SF thread ever wants to go to punk shows, boo

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

Yep I'll be at the SF show for sure.

I was looking for recommendations. I'm looking for more fast thrashy hardcore in the vein of punch or similar. Whatdya got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

If you can write songs for Taylor Swift and Britney Spears you are probably not a bad songwriter.

Lmao at this.