Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get to see hosed Up tomorrow. Holy poo poo it's gonna be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thought this might be of interest to Canadian and Australian goonpunks

http://exclaim.ca/News/propagandhi_face_threats_from_australian_white_nationalists

The Australian chapter of Stormfront has threatened to cause problems for Canadian punk band Propaghandi should they honor their Australian tour dates. The statement from Stormfront is retardedly silly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
NoMeansNo is coming to where I live! I'm very excited.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Costello also admitted he was drunk off his rear end at the time and that it was spectacularly ignorant thing to say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How do you fellows feel about Mclusky and/or Future of The Left? I feeel they are awesome and underappreciated, and the new single ("Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman") is really good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That RS article is really good. I thought it was kinda sweet that her bandmates reaction was to get high and then get pumped up so they can protect her. And her wife is impossibly cool.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 6, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any good punk rock twitters other than jaded punk hulk and Andy Falkous?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I just tried the Menzingers.

They're, uh, they're pretty drat good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

deadwing posted:

I can seriously not get over how goddamn good this You Blew It! full-length is. Great midwest/twinkly emo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxP29q3Cio

They sound like a less distorted Japandroids. I mean that as a compliment, mind you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jaded Punk Hulk had it right, the reunions are worthless, tarnish the legacy of the group, and the reason Henry's not involved is that he's a millionaire who's over doing music for a living at this point, especially Black Flag. I totally understand Keith doing it because he has major health problems, and SST was basically a non-factor in the 90's so, I get Ginn's involvement too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you guys downloaded a Fugazi Live Series show? If so, any standouts?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Off With Their Heads is loving amazing. Anybody else enjoying "Home"? I particualrly like "Shirts" and "Focus On Your Own Family".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed to see them open for Alkaline Trio, unlike Bayside. Woof.

I actually checked them out on comedian Kyle Kinane's recommendation. He has good taste, he introduced me to Cheap Girls too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Future of the Left are raising funds for a new album and are giving away some nice things. Also, there's an amusing video to encourage you to donate. I feel that as a huge fan of them I am obligated to post the link here http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/futureoftheleft/updates/22010?utm_campaign=project7260&utm_medium=activity&utm_source=facebook

Edit: They already reached the goal. That was loving quick, good for them.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 29, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Against Me! EP cooks. Only two songs, but it's free and quite good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Greg Ginn is suing Keith Morris and all involved with his Black Flag deal...and Henry Rollins, for some reason (even though Henry isn't really involved in any way).

http://www.avclub.com/articles/black-flags-greg-ginn-suing-members-of-flag-henry,101192/

Edit: Apparently Henry's been named because he and Keith sued for the Black Flag trademark (probably so they could finally get some loving royalties), and Greg is also getting sued by like, half of SST's old bands.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 6, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It looks like Greg Ginn's lawsuit against Henry Rollins and Keith Morris has hit a snag http://exclaim.ca/News/black_flags_greg_ginn_loses_lawsuit_against_flag

The biggest story out the developments so far is that, because Henry never quit the band, he may have more of a right to the copyright than Greg.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are some good punk rock websites for news and views? I enjoy jadedpunk.com, but I pretty much refuse to patronize punknews.org.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

So Black Flag's releasing a new album and this is their cover.

I think that one Iron Maiden album finally has competition for the title of "Worst Album Cover By A Major Group Who Really Should Know Better At This Point".

That is offensively lovely. It's not often my initial though when I see record covers is "I could do better than that", but I earnestly believe I could.

The name's kinda dumb too. Really, everything about this if you'd never heard of Black Flag screams "Pop punk about partying and how hard it is to grow up".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
At least Dance of Death looks like a halfway realized concept that could have been cool if they had just spent a little longer on it. I don't know who the gently caress is supposed to enjoy the Black Flag cover.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Crusades album is amazing, folks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

albear posted:

Long shot but this isn't the same Crusades that is from Florida that plays post-rock and shared members with Beneath Low Flying Planes, is it?

No, punk band from Ottawa. They're on No Idea. http://store.noidearecords.com/collections/new-on-no-idea/products/crusades-perhaps

Edit: Found a stream for those curious http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/crusades-perhaps_you_deliver_this_judgment_with_greater_fear_than_i_receive_it_album_stream

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 8, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The album has art by Mitch Clem, it ain't all bad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And the Black Flag silliness continues http://punknews.tumblr.com/post/68233115510/ron-reyes-and-black-flag-split

Ron Reyes was fired, supposedly in part for not having a problem with the Kieth Morris version of the band.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I just dicovered Mcklusky, who existed forever ago but none of my friends ever knew about til recently. They are my new favorite punk band and have 4 consonants in a row.

Coincidence? No.

Listen to Future of the Left too, same singer and drummer, still really good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I checked Stubhub and found two tickets for the 285 Kent show for $150 each.

My friend, I am but a Canadian man who cannot attend that show due to geography and financial considerations. So, if you are on the fence regarding purchasing those tickets, I say this to you: loving Do it, Man!!!!! And enjoy the show enough for both of us, please.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

It's 150 for a fifteen dollar punk show. Stubhub's insane and people are assholes, it's why Jeff kept adding shows, just like with the ASoB reunion.

Then you Dickeye, must carry that torch for both Inspector 666 and I. Bring your banana suit with you, if you must.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New article about Laura Jane Grace http://grantland.com/features/a-true-trans-soul-rebel/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HATEPOSTING posted:

but gently caress jeromes dream though

also sorry about your being wrong. (im not taking a stand on that guys opinion. i just dont think its bad and that even if what hes saying is admitedly pretty stupid its a nice read? )

It stinks of tough guy posturing. It's some schmuck sitting in the comfort of his home office telling people that Hatebreed is the key to getting away from a society that likes Jonah Hill (who is a fine actor, I don't really get hating him).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz2k21 posted:

I am a huge fan of Hatebreed but for some reason that artical rub's me up the wrong way, I can't quite put my finger on why....

Anyone who think's Hatebreed are a toughguy band should probably watch them live, they really are the goofiest guy's and Jasta is always having such a great time he get's this goofy grin on his face it's hilarious comparing the band goofing around on-stage to the tough guy showdown's happening in the pit.

I've said it before but Hatebreed make hardcore song's that wouldn't sound out of place on a Rocky soundtrack.

I don't necessarily view Jamey as a toughguy, but I do think their music appeals to that crowd. And I think acting as if listening to Hatebreed will suddenly make you less "soft" is a silly notion, and the article kind of implies that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The best recommendation I can think of if you dig NoMeansNo is Wire, who have some similar elements (kinda proggy, jazz influence, weird lyrics, capable of writing poppier stuff from time to time).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can I have an example of '90s midwestern emo' because I am not linking that name to any distinct sound in my head

Would Promise Ring or Sunny Day Real Estate be a good start?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 11, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If that's what that is I don't know look at Good Clean Fun or something, old Armor For Sleep can sound kind of like Mineral if you bang your head in a door first? Bad Astronaut?

Well, I wasn't sure about Mineral because they came from Texas originally (hence the edit), but they did to relocate to Chicago I think.

Cap'n Jazz or Knapsack also come to mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I should probably go see Direct Hit! and Masked Invader next week, shouldn't I.

Yes. Yes, you should. How's the new Intruder album?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dylstew posted:

Is there anyone more stupid on this earth than GG Allin?

Being that he's no longer on this earth, I'm gonna go with "yes".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You know what's really punk is actually being a Republican because you're going against the grain of those punk rock sheeple - An actual opinion Ben Weasel espoused to me because he's a fat dumb rear end in a top hat who went ot a cult school and got brainwashed and supported it and its program.

You should have asked him if he punched a woman because it was punk rock.

I am sad because SNFU cancelled their Canadian tour :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ferrule posted:

Lot's of us knew him in the 80's and 90's and all the stories are hosed up.

Please elaborate, if possible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I went to the Minneapolis AJJ/Smith Street Band/Jeff Rosenstock/Chumped show. Great loving show, and eventful. I met Jeff, he was incredibly nice (and thanked me and my GF for driving 6 hours to see the show, which was classy of him). Also, there was a guy in a Pscyhosis mask, and a guy in a Cookie Monster outfit. And AJJ's cellist had to stop a guy who'd escaped from the bouncers and ran on stage, he seemed REALLY hosed out of his mind. I am basing this on the fact that it took two guys to take him down despite them both being huge, and it looked like they were trying to get something out of his hands.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 2, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you want a bit of a happier contrast, go to Jeff's tumblr, dude looks like he's having a ball in the pictures from the tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Or I could just talk to him on Thursday :smug:

Don't forget your banana suit!