Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm fairly sure most worthwhile bands have already been mentioned in this 137-page thread, so I'll limit myself to mentioning a few lesser-known ones, both American and European (at the danger of repeating what others have said):

Adequate Seven: English ska-punk
American Distress: fairly straightforward punk, despite being made up of former members of Choking Victim and INDK (not sure if Stza Crack himself is involved)
Antidote: Dutch hardcore punk band, reasonably accessible.
Antischism: I'm actually pretty sure some of you know them, but I'm going to mention them anyway for being uexpectedly good. Crusty hardcore, but somehow it sounds great.
Ballast: Canadian hardcory crust band. Again, normally not my thing, but they sound pretty good. I only wish they had learned how to record properly before splitting up.
Blitzkid: Misfits-like
Capdown: English ska/punk/metal
Contravene: I'm not even going to try and place them under a specific genre. Check these guys out.
Devotchkas: Female-fronted NYC streetpunk
Eskorbuto: Spanish (Basque?) punk band
Flaming Tsunamis: Everything they released before 2006 is fantastic. Fear Everything didn't really do anything for me.
Funeral Dress: Antwerp-based Flemish Oi!/punk band
Intro5pect: Techno-punk
Morning Glory: Another entry in the endless list of Crack Rock bands, but a good one.
No Cash: Leftover Crack-like. I just realized I must really like Leftover Crack considering how often I'm referencing them in this list.
Oi Polloi: Scottish anarcho-punk, only it sounds good.
Oi! Scouts: Very American-sounding yet very awesome streetpunk band.
Raised Fist: Swedish hardcore-hardcore, somewhat comparable to a heavier-sounding Death Threat.
Rx Bandits: Don't dismiss them as just another fruity, poppy ska-punk band, they are surprisingly eclectic and political.
Slime: Underrated eighties German punk band.
Sonic Boom Six: English ska/punk/metal/hiphop band. Awesome.
Warzone: defining NYC hardcore band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've been listening to Germfree Adolescents a lot the past couple of days, and I'd figure I'd ask; are there any punk bands other than X-Ray Spex, Flipper, and Rocket From The Crypt that use saxophone to any real extent? I've been told Fear does, but other than that I'm all out of :sax: punk. Anyone know anything else?

Sonic Boom Six. Off the top of my head, there is a fantastic saxophone solo in their cover of the Clash's Safe European Home.

Also, Flaming Tsunamis. Their older stuff is pretty good.

Edit: the Filaments have a sax player as well, I think. They're a very straightforward ska-punk band, definitely check them out if that sounds interesting to you.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 8, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How come it took me so long to discover the Blood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOMAdt00LjA

Yes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hedgecore posted:

But seriously can we discuss what I'm supposed to do with these two lineups happening at the same time?

Eh, except for Youth Brigade I'm not a big fan of any of the bands listed (either that or I've never heard of them), so it would be the first line-up for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just found out Intro5pect has gotten a lot better over the years. Record Profits is a seriously good album.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what this thread is about in terms of genre.

It's all over the place. Would be nice if it was a little more focused, but at least I'm learning things about genres I usually wouldn't be interested in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

casual poster posted:

I made a stupid post in here about a month ago, referring to metalcore as hardcore. Anyways, can someone point me in the direction of hardcore from the 90-00? Would Converge and Kylsea be part of that?
We're The Germs considered hardcore or punk?

I adhere to the 'get your high production values and technical skill (i.e. metal bullshit) out of my punk' school of thought, but post-1989 bands that are usually labeled hardcore and that I still find acceptable: Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rivals posted:

Battery rules. That said I still listen to a lot of youth crew revival stuff or whatever you want to call it and I'm a little bummed that every band I listen to broke up like 3+ years ago.

Yeah, the term 'hardcore' is a bit ambiguous today, so I usually refrain from using it. I love punk in general, so I obviously love eighties American hardcore, but nowadays 'hardcore' mostly seems to apply to streamlined, take-themselves-too-seriously quasi-metalcore bands. Dommage. Here in Europe, it gets more confusing still, since many people will think you're referring to a form of techno when you talk about hardcore.

Still, I suppose I see some continuity between the first straight edge bands and today's hardcore. For example, instead of the self-righteous outrage of political punk or the proletarian catchiness of Oi!, you get truckloads of angsty self-referentiality to the point where it gets incredibly banal. The local hardcore scene in [random American city] used to be amazing until [trend or type of people] ruined everything? Intriguing! Please tell us more.

I really am putting way too much thought into this. It's totally not-punk to be concerned with these conceptual issues.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

casual poster posted:

What exactly is hardcore than? The 2 listed (7 seconds and Shelter) sound completely different than what I thought. 7 seconds sounds like a regular punk song and Shelter sounds like 80's new age. Bands that Phlegmish mentioned (Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat) are more along what "I" thought hardcore "sounded" like. More grungy (dirty) sounding with more of a snarl vocals. Keep in mind, what I thought "hardcore" actually sounded like is most likely to change within the next few days when I go through your recommendations.
Thanks for the help ya'll.

I would define hardcore more by its historical origins, its continuity as a 'scene' and perhaps topics/attitude rather than by any definitive musical characteristics. In that sense, hardcore can apply to bands like 7 Seconds or Dag Nasty as well as to contemporary borderline metalcore bands. From what you've said in this thread, I'd say you're more interested in the latter type, and that's not my area of expertise.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

Cold world is fun. Is there a particular song I should check out?
It occurs to me that all of these hardcore discussions have been full of rampant testosterone and masculine aggression. Lets get some rampant estrogen and feminine aggression going.

[Uro
Creepy-Crawlie
XV Č
Broken Oath

To break out of this 'hardcore' mold, there is some great female-fronted punk in general:

Contravene
The Devotchkas
The Voids
The Messengers
Antischism (male and female)
Deadline
Blatz (male and female)
The Avengers
X (male and female)
The Gits
La Gachette (male and female)
Ballast (male and female)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rainbows is probably my favorite Limp Wrist song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OII9GyjSXYs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

I feel that the band really matured from Todays Empires onward, the last three albums are some of my absolute favourite records. I still really like the snotty up-yours punk of their first releases, but sonically they have expanded so much in recent years that you could be mistaken it was a separate band.

I've never been into Propagandhi, mostly because they have that typically teenaged-American sound, nasal vocals and everything. But if you say they've matured, maybe I should check out some of their newer records.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

iron chic posted:

they had a really snotty nofx sound in their early days but their lyrics are always kick rear end and really meaningful for the vegan/anarchist/feminist set

Yeah, I just always thought that they lacked 'solidity' in the musical sense; it's hard to explain. On the other hand, Against All Authority is somewhat similar and is probably one of my all-time favorite bands.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

I've always been a bit unclear on the specific criterion for pop-punk, what exactly is it that affixes the pop prefix to the genre? Is it the lyrical content ie singing about girls/turning older/scooters as opposed to something with a more societal/political lean, or is it simply that slightly-more radio-friendly sound? Is it even the ethic behind the releases like distributing on cd/itunes is pop-punk whereas providing a 7th generation dubbed cassette tape recorded in a service station bathroom is the real OG punk?

Mostly the former two criteria, not so much the latter; it's about subject matter and (especially) sound, in my view. If you're going to use commercialization as a criterion, it quickly becomes a loaded term that people apply to Blink 182 or Good Charlotte to separate these bands from 'real' punk.

Good pop-punk bands in my opinion: Alkaline Trio, Discount, Dag Nasty, De Heideroosjes, Goldfinger, Millencolin, Rantanplan, Satanic Surfers, Streetlight Manifesto, Zombina & The Skeletones, etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

stay depressed posted:

Thank for you posting it before I did. Everything in these last posts except Direct Hit! and Spraynard is loving false bullshit. Fall Out Boy? Millencolin? Come on.

Why? What are the defining characteristics of pop-punk?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

I certainly thought that way when I was 17, and I missed out on a lot of great music because of it.

I had exactly the same punker-than-thou attitude when I was 16-17 years old, and it's making me a little wary of this discussion about pop-punk. Back then I would be turned off by anything with overly clean (especially nasal and 'American'-sounding) vocals and/or suspiciously high production values. NoFX and Bad Religion were bands that you listened to when you were 13. Like you, I missed out on a lot of great bands like 7 Seconds and accessible hardcore in general, because my taste was rooted in the European punk tradition and I saw punk as being played by smelly, boorish guys with mohawks, leather jackets, safety pins etc. rather than scrawny middle-class kids with X'es on their hands.
Since then, I've gradually come around and I now realize that the American punk scene is pretty much superior in every way, when it comes to its diversity, production values, and general quality, which are all good things. I mean, compare Discharge to Minor Threat. Discharge is incredibly monotonous and even in my punk-as-gently caress period I could never get into them. Minor Threat, on the other hand, is fantastic, and that's why I'm so into American hardcore nowadays. The moral of the story is, don't write off bands a priori just because you've attached a particular label to them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I never expected it, but Shelter is actually pretty good. Too bad about the horrible, horrible lyrics, though. I'd compare it with listening to Skrewdriver, but that might be exaggerating a little. Though I still wince a little when I hear Ray Cappo sing things like

quote:

You say explosion started creation, and we're just chemical
Combinations, but would you take the same stand if there was
A gun in my hand? Or would you beg for your salvation?
In defense of reality? Actually, these conclusions prove
Their insanity! A creation without a creator...Can it be?
Just like a painting without a painter...absurdity! No,
I don't wanna run away, I want to embrace reality.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

stay depressed posted:

a little? That's a completely loaded comparison. Unless you're just saying "oh they have strong beliefs about something" but then why would you use skrewdriver? Comparing Krishna hardcore to white supremacists? Really?

I find calling science and rational thought 'absurd' to be reprehensible, yes, especially when you think about the implications for two seconds. This is my personal view and you don't have to agree with me on this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

duck monster posted:

Theres a big connection in the city I live in (Perth, au) with the Jakarta indo punk scene, since they are our closest city and we tend to send our bands there and their bands here. As a result I've gotten to know a bunch of indonesian punks. Those guys are real, live loving hard, and cop serious issues such as religious police hassling them for mohawks and poo poo.

I've always been interested in the punk scene in countries with a repressive government and/or strict societal values - y'know, where rebellion actually comes with a risk. I've had this link in my favorites for a while, it's an Indonesian band (Under 18) covering Warzone's The Sound Of Revolution. Do you know them?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Watch out clubs in Boston, the cops are now starting to fine you for allowing moshing

So, did some sort of accident occur, or is this completely random?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that's why you should never, under any circumstances, wear your glasses when moshing. Bring a hard glasses case or some other container with you when you go to a punk show. I know they're really expensive and it sucks for those guys, but that's pretty elementary common sense.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wouldn't really know how to define crust either. There's only one crust band that I really like, and that's Antischism. Not sure if they even count.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

duck monster posted:

Good news: The marjinal documentry got funded. Looking forward to a pretty amazing doco on one of the kings of third world punk.

This is great news, keep us updated.

bowmore posted:

If I was just getting into listening to Punk/Hardcore/Emo music what would be the first 5 albums you would recommend me?

This is a bit of a vague question as those categories cover an incredibly varied range of musical styles. As far as hardcore is concerned, you can't go wrong with a couple of solid discographies. I recommend getting started with Minor Threat's discography, which is basically what got me into American eighties hardcore. Other worthwhile hardcore bands of this time period are Black Flag, Bad Brains, Articles of Faith, Government Issue, Negative Approach and Uniform Choice (only their Screaming For Change album, though). In a somewhat similar vein, I'm partial to the late eighties band Insted, though they don't seem to get much love here. They also have a complete discography, called Proud Youth. Finally, for a recent hardcore example, there's Government Warning, which I've lately become enamoured of. Note that I generally want metal to stay out of my punk, so I don't know much about the heavier stuff.

If you're looking for more traditional punk/Oi!, I would recommend mainstays like Stiff Little Fingers, Angelic Upstarts, the Oppressed, Sham 69, Cock Sparrer, the Cockney Rejects, Infa Riot and Funeral Dress to get you started.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edit: never mind, not a good idea.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 9, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

This guy is/was a Something Awful writer. I'm not sure if he's correct, but he insults the music I like and everything about me, so I assume he is.

No, he's not. You can be sure that there are people who think his music style is totally 'faggy' or even that hardcore in general is for angsty American teenagers getting angry about 'the scene' (the people who say this are also wrong and idiots, hardcore loving rules).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dickeye posted:

Well two of those three bands suck so maybe that was why you didn't like it.

Anti-Flag is alright. I don't get where all the hate is coming from. Okay, Justin Sane (Christ that is a horrible stage name) is insufferably whiny both in the literal and the figurative sense, but from a purely musical point of view I can appreciate them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just want to thank whoever it was that mentioned Leatherface in this thread. I've been listening to some of their stuff, and they're pretty good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't get in to hosed Up for some reason. They seem to get a weird amount of mainstream media attention, but they don't sound any different than the folks I used to see at shows back in the day. Can't figure it.

I own David Comes To Life, which practically qualifies as a concept album, and I don't know if you can even really call it punk. It has some good songs, but even those could stand to be a little shorter. I still like that they're doing something different, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

Incidentally, anyone know any good horror punk? I love the misfits and struggle to find anything that measures up...

Blitzkid, Zombina & The Skeletones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hobbit, those are all solid recommendations, especially Stiff Little Fingers. Their first two albums are gold. Operation Ivy's The Crowd is also a fantastic song. Similar favorites of mine are Reagan Youth's Degenerated and Dead Boys' Sonic Reducer. Finally, outside of their more straightforward Oi! stuff, the Business have some more melodic songs, like Streets Where You Live and Out In The Cold.

If we're talking about classic Oi! bands, can't forget Cockney Rejects, Blitz, Angelic Upstarts and Funeral Dress. The Blood, though not quite Oi!, is a great early punk band that's often overlooked. The Oppressed might be a little too simplistic by modern standards, but they still have a few decent songs, like No Justice and The AFA Song.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morning Glory has a new album? I had no idea, time to check it out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swim Good posted:

Are there any good bands in the vein of Annihilation Time?

Good question, I can't think of many bands that have that particular sound. American Distress is not quite like them either, but they're pretty good in a similar way. Probably the least typical-sounding of the various crack rock steady bands.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What, you don't know H2O? Not my favorite band, but they still have a couple of classic songs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

answersyouseek posted:

France definitely has some good bands. Youth Avoiders, Gasmask Terror, The Night Stalkers, and State Poison just to name a few. We had a short period of time in Richmond a little while ago where there seemed to be French bands rolling through pretty often. It was awesome

Lots of great French punk bands.

Kochise - Scène De Racisme Ordinaire

Haine Brigade - Pleine Lune

Komintern Sect - Barcelone 1936

La Gachette - Solidarité (French-Canadian, but I say it counts)

Ya Basta - Ouvrier (probably one of my favorite ska songs, period)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

I think that one Iron Maiden album finally has competition for the title of "Worst Album Cover By A Major Group Who Really Should Know Better At This Point".

Which Iron Maiden album would that be?

And I don't think anyone is waiting for a new Black Flag album at this point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

For anyone in Belgium come November, the Depot in Leuven is hosting Breaking Barriers, with shows by the Damned, the Ruts, Funeral Dress, Discharge, Hard Skin, Zyklome A, etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I kind of like it. They look like they're 15 years old

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We Know Catheters posted:

I'm seeing Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies tonight. Chris from The Living End is playing with them. That's all. 😉

Saw them at the Depot a few years back.

It was then I belatedly realized I'm not super into Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, or the genre of technically proficient but soulless punk covers in general.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Christian punk lol

I love America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Listening to Sonic Boom Six for the first time in years. There really is no one else quite like them, going to check out their new albums.