Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Been looking for some good punk/emo poo poo and nothing is quite fitting the bill so I'm posting here in hopes for some recommendations.

I want basically one of two things or some adjacent kind of thing:

something with a bit of an early emo edge, with proper angst and anger/intensity, without veering too much into modern screamo territory (my fav bands maybe ever are unwound and moss icon, and particularly stuff like the early moss icon or heroin or unwound releases would really fit the bill here)

OR in a completely different ballpark, I want the same sort of like pitch-perfect power pop + saccharine modern emo poo poo going on in Joyce Manor's "never hungover again" (an album that, to my eyes, is perfect) - whenever I've checked out related artists it's lots of boring 5 minute songs (or Jeff rosenstock), stuff that just is lacking in the same kind of powerful, punctual, and sharp songwriting as whats on that album.

ive just been looking for new exciting stuff in the punk-adjacent realm and other than the idles release last year and rosenstock this year sort of (though it's grown stale to me a bit by this point) nothing in fuckin forever has really hit the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014

not bad, it'll probably grow on me some, but I dunno, it's kind of lacking the punch to me, just like most of Cody was.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
new Joyce Manor is... spotty. They have a way with making particularly disappointing records (lately in late part due to weird production choices).

Maybe this is partly on me, since I think Never Hungover Again is basically perfect, who knows.

Anyway it's mostly good songs but it lacks much of an identity and is sonically all hosed up. The production choices on various songs are really strange and sterile, there's some weird like solid state guitar drones and kooky acoustic reverb stuff and kind of bland backing vocal mixes and all kinds of weird panning choices, I dunno what the hell was going on, especially since Kurt Ballou produced most of it. It seems really clumsy and insecure.

But most of the songs are pretty good (especially Up The Punx), but I wish Barry wanted to be in a punk band still, they're softening out which is fine in theory, but the songwriting starts to lose its punch when the resulting songs are less emotive (and produced to sound even more sterile).

These like acoustic ballads and "Silly Games"-type songs are pretty disappointing when you get a 20 min record every few years.

Still, when they're on, they're on, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in DC in a few weeks regardless.

90s Shoes fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 21, 2018

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
nah the thing is, drug church vocalist is like extremely wry, their whole shtick prior to this album and even often on this album is like a strong sense of self-deprication and jitledness. the singer is a bit of a weirdo but he's a pretty reverant dude, I've seen on many smaller tours and also some of his other projects (end of a year) and anyway, I would find it supremely strange if he were being outwardly, aggressively arrogant. just is rly rly not their scene, to me.

almost all of the lyrics are about like despondency and growing up in bad poor suburbs and poo poo.

edit: not to invalidate your experience tho, maybe he was having a poo poo day or maybe now that ppl actually listen to them he's a oval office, who knows

90s Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 18, 2018

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I kinda hated LP2 almost solely because it sounded so... bland and mechanical? Like where the first album offers lots of tiny beats of chemistry and space between the band, I felt like LP2 was clinical and robotic, like computer American Football with Owen crooning over it.

His voice obviously having lost lots of the youth doesn't help, but still.

Knew a dude who agreed with me when it came out but now adores it so I could just be being a dork.