Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This MAY not be the right spot but, it's say EMO right there in the title so...
I'm listening to the first Dashboard Confessional albums over and over while I stay up all night drinking coffee and being not sad and writing computer codes. Is there anything else with that atmosphere to be recommended?
I remember listening to Circa Survive - Juturna a lot way back in my emo days. I know it had a few acoustic tracks. What are the acoustic emo bangers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Framboise posted:

Juturna's such a good album. Acoustic is not really something I associate Circa Survive with though.

Oops I was getting Circa Survive confused with the first Anthony Green band Saosin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkdwgWnGYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_niAzCa4Xw

I saw the Ataris a long time ago, they did a set in a church. Everyone was sitting on the floor because no chairs. There probably weren't 50 people there. They sold a little acoustic cd at the merch stand, I wish I could find that!

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 4, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I wish my lawn was EMO so:

1) It would listen to American Football with me
2) It would cut itself

Hah nothing like a little post punk humor to lighten up the evening

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Evil Bob posted:

I think this gets to the core of my misunderstanding of emo. When I was younger I never considered the hardcore derived non commercial stuff emo, or at least ever made the connection because I felt emotion in everything I was listening to. That doesn't mean I was versed in that scene, but it just never occured to me. To me those days emo was the scene kids buying music that sounded like pop punk with the whiniest vocals I had ever heard. I don't even remember who those bands were.

A Lifelong Misunderstanding of Emo: The Evil Bob Story.

Rites of Spring supposedly were the 'first emo band.'
And just listen to Embrace, those lyrics are so self conscious and insecure in I guess an emo sense.

I don't think either really embodies would I'd consider the Emo trope. Emo I think of Braid, but also the "Screamo" variety more on the posthardcore side of things.
None of it makes actual sense. In the 1990s everybody was like "Don't label me man, I'm not your product on your shelf."
Remember that Fugazi song? "Stupid loving words."

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
i don't remember emo being a buzzword until about 2004. My favorite is "midwestern emo" to describe them being from Chicago or Kansas City or wherever.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Keith Atherton posted:

Finch and Chevelle were emo I guess but listening to them after all these years I just hear Creed :smith:

You think so? Chevelle is like Puddle of Mud level fratboy 2003 poo poo. Yea like Creed. I don't know but I hold some of the old second wave emo bands in somewhat higher regard than that. They are still somewhat serious, or just ironic (I Hate Myself). Then you get to Taking Back Sunday which I guess qualifies but that's more hot topic type 14 year old poo poo, even though I still think it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Quantum Shart posted:

I remember Mineral being described as emo and they were def mid 90s

Mineral is top tier, one of the best. Both albums, the first one is harder and the second more restrained. I also liked The Frog Queen or whatever it was, solo album from SDRE guy. The first SDRE is a little played out, having listened to it so much.
Sad music just sounds so good for some reason.