Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.
I personally love the new 108 record.

Also, great video, In Defence playing Taco Johns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5b172JK57g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

The guys from the metal thread said I should talk to you guys.

I'm going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan/Poison the Well in March. Not really having listened to that much music from both bands, which records by them would you recommend to start with?

DEP - Calculating Infinity and Under the Running Board EP, and then listen to the various songs from Ire Works and Miss Machine off the myspace.
PTW - Opposite of December and You Come Before You, both flawless records. PTW likes to play stuff from every album live, and DEP has a pretty varied setlist too.

Anyway, I'm going to bet I'm the only one excited that Breakdown is playing Superbowl of Hardcore. Only reason I'm going this year. Maybe I'll get lucky and Indecision will play again too.
Was debating taking a roadtrip this weekend to see Gehenna, Pulling Teeth, and Starkweather but I really don't have the money. Such an amazing lineup.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Bane/With Honor tomorrow in Worcester. long shot, but is anyone here going and do they have an extra ticket, because it sold out and all my connections have failed me.

WH are friends and I really want to be there for them and this :(

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

acup posted:

I wish I'd be able to go to that. Work sucks.

I ended up getting a free ticket from a nice lady, friend of a friend. Show was incredible, seeing With Honor play again really is something special.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

acup posted:

Glad to hear it was good. The last time I saw With Honor was after the original singer quit. They were good, but it wasn't the same. Do you know if they're just doing a reunion tour, or are they going back to being a band?

Just 4 shows, Todd tours with Life In Your Way now and the other guys have Ambitions.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

A song or two was sloppy, pretty forgivable. The NYC set was on point.

Ride is picking me up in 40 minutes for the Haverhill show...the venue is the size of a living room apparently. This will rule.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

King Kolostomy posted:

Ramallah is the gayest, cheesiest, most nu-metal inspired "hardcore" ever.

And I love it.

I disagree quite a bit and I've gotten into this argument plenty of times here. The only song that could even come close to falling under "numetal" is Blood Runs Cold, which I feel is one of the weakest songs on the record. Every song off the EP is heavy and confrontational, and all the new stuff ranges from metal tinged to a loving Beatles cover that sounds like Sinners & Saints. I just feel Kill a Celebrity came out at a time where very few hardcore bands had something to say about the state of the country and the world, and Ramallah was just so in your face about it, that I loved it. It wasn't very cheesy to me, it was real. And angry. Really angry.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Sirius Sam posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Ceremony, Trash Talk and Pulling Teeth recently and I can't get enough of them. What are some other bands you guys would suggest like those? Also, I have a new found love for CA hardcore like Sabertooth Zombie, Internal Affairs, Snake Eyes (and of course the previously mentioned bands). Any suggestions?

Wolf Whistle
Bracewar
And Shark Attack if you can find their stuff online. I'm too lazy to look.

Dillinger fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 21, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

New band from Merrimack Valley, northern MA
http://www.myspace.com/watchfirema
Basically almost everyone from Harder the Fight doing another hard as nails band and I can see it going to some real good places.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

Reunited 108 was pretty loving terrible when I saw them a couple months ago.

Seriously? They did a show with Converge (and Hatebreed was supposed to play before it got shut down :( )not long ago and 108 loving slayed. I thought they were 100% on point.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Disfear US tour!!!! With loving Clouds and Trap Them.

The only date I think that's listed so far is the Boston date, at Great Scott sometime in May. I don't care where else they're playing, I can't loving wait. Perfect tour, and I finally will get off my rear end and see Clouds.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

You were there too? Haha. I loving drove over 3 hours in that drat snowstorm for it.

Good times.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Vogel and all of them have been big into hiphop for a while, before Terror even started. Hell, they've had hiphop cameos on their last two albums. Plus living in LA they're into the lifestyle a little bit.

They're all hardcore at heart and the music is still hard as nails. It's just how they dress and incite fun at the shows. Definitely one of the best live bands around, I'm glad to see they've strayed away from those big tours bands like Hatebreed would take them on, and are back to playing small clubs and halls and still attract tons of kids. Their set last night was absolutely awesome.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

OBW did "break up" but now they're playing again for whatever reasons and doing shows here and there. Give'em Hell is a Western Mass. staple band but I just can't get into them, I think they're terrible. Although Swear to God was way worse, but I liked them. I definitely love Blacklisted more than almost any band, it's two days later and my body is still in pain from that show.

Earth Crisis show starts at 6, it probably won't end up being fun. I'm amped for Shai Hulud and to see Sworn Enemy again, and to watch some of my older friends get drunk and act like shitheads during Earth Crisis...should be funny. Shai Hulud still sounds wonderful and I can't wait for the new album, but I'm sick of only seeing them on big stages.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

acup posted:

Worcester has always been very easy to get to for me, but a huge pain in the rear end to get out of. I always get lost for at least an hour trying to leave Worcester.

When you leave the Palladium just get on Central St. and head towards the 99, under the train bridge. Route 290 west is right there, takes you to 146, which goes right to Woonsocket (I used to live right off it in NS).

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

A5H posted:

This is pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation!

So how did terror manage to keep some cred? Like if there was a new band that came about and looked and acted like them, I'm pretty sure most terror fans would write them off straight away. Just seems kinda weird to me.

E:
http://www.vogelisms.com/

"I have a loving illness, and that illness is that I'm loving pissed off that our loving van blew up and I need medicine and the only medicine that will cure my illness is loving stage dives! "
- Scott Vogel

Hahaha

Vogelisms are hilarious but most are fake....however, you definitely can picture him saying that stuff. I've heard him say some ridiculous stuff. Paraphrased: "I don't give a gently caress who you are or what you are, we're all the same people. If you like chicks, that's a beautiful thing. If you're a girl and you like girls that's a beautiful thing. If you're a dude and you like dudes....it ain't my thing, but it's a beautiful thing"

Terror came about pretty much on the onset of the "internet age" of hardcore, when the only major boards were probably xmulletx, the Rev board, maybe B9, maybe Deathtalk. Buried alive had been broken up, Vogel moved to LA, started Terror, and they put out a 4 song EP themselves through mailorder that loving ripped and over the span of like a week EVERYONE was talking about it. Their first shows on the east coast were insanity. I'm trying to remember the tracklisting of the demo so you can get an idea as to what it was like, I know Life or Death was the first song I ever heard by Terror and it was amazing. 50 seconds of rage.

Their sound is different now, but that's how it all started...major hype band that delivered.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

For anyone who is going to the Earth Crisis tour: they were loving terrible and had a bad setlist. Maybe the vibe tonight was off but EC bored me to tears, Terror stole the show, and I had more fun during them and Shai Hulud than anyone.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Drama? None. A few pit beef fights, and some brawl at the end of Firestorm and that was it.

Some kids I knew were planning on tossing dead rats on stage during EC but were talked out of it, probably for the better.

Funny story I heard today was some edge kid with his hands X'd up promised that he would take a shot of Jager when EC played the first chords of Firestorm. He did. Apparently he got jumped outside. Absolutely ridiculous on all fronts, I can't help but laugh.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

ChaosNonMusica posted:

I know what he means. I just think it's stupid when bands called themselves straight edge bands, as if straight edge is a music style (it's not FYI). All of the members of my band are straight edge, but we're a hardcore band. We play hardcore, not straight edge.

Eh, bands who are more passionate about things like to toss their little label into their band. Political bands of any nature, vegans, edge kids, what have you. It's just semantics, why worry or care?

I just think the incident is hilarious because
a) he broke edge during Firestorm while X'd up, which is both stupid and funny
b) he got jumped and beat up for it, which is both stupid and funny
Win/win situation for people with a sense of humor.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

My 4/20 will be spent seeing Have Heart and Blacklisted.

Off topic a little but I really miss the northeast 4-20 Fest.

Fliers for a nearly all edge show with pot leafs all over it, and always great lineups. No one wants to do any of the fun one day fests up here anymore.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Found Touche Amore through one of the members' threads on B9. Really really good stuff.

Checking out a bunch of the other ones now.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

New Blacklisted is streaming on their myspace, if you haven't heard it already: http://www.myspace.com/blacklisted

I'm going to go "out there" and say this isn't one of the best hardcore records I've heard recently, but one of the best I've ever heard.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

I've heard good things about it, but I've never been able to get into their recorded poo poo even though I love them live. Checking this out now though.

The recording on this is worlds beyond everything they've ever done...Kurt Ballou produced it and they nailed every little detail. George's vocals are drat near perfect, and the tone for the entire record is soooo heavy. A little sad to see two reprises of songs already on "Peace on Earth War on Stage" but at least they're two loving incredible songs.

"You've never laid in the beds that I've made, don't tell me about being afraid, you've never died the ways that I've died, what do you know about screaming to God?"

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

In case anyone from here was debating going to see Converge, Red Chord, Baroness, and Genghis Tron tonight in Worcester, MA, the word I'm getting is that the show didn't sell well downstairs and has been moved upstairs. To the small 500-600 capacity club. I can't wait.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Bummed I had to miss United Blood. If you're in the Northeast though, look up As One Fest, it's going to be the New England version of the typical 'core fest nowadays. Waterbury, CT.

Converge show tonight was fun. Packed house...Genghis Tron has a new lightshow and loving killed it. Baroness, first time seeing them (FINALLY) and I couldn't enjoy it because while I was up close, it was so loud that I actually lost my hearing in my right ear temporarily (don't do 10 years of punk, hardcore and metal shows without hearing protection :( ) so I had to go outside for a little bit...when I got back in I couldn't find a spot to stand and watch. Red Chord was nuts if anyone else likes that band besides me. Spent the end of Dreaming in Dog Years stepping on everybody on the stage. Converge played a great set but you can tell they're so sick of their earlier material...Conduit was the only song played that I was hoping for. Not even Saddest Day anymore. Everything else was Jane Doe and beyond, all albums I really don't even care for.

edit:

King Kolostomy posted:

pulling teeth
trash talk
blacklisted
cold world

dead black
unforgiven
living hell
soul control
the wrong side
shipwreck

List of bands not worth skipping. Especially Unforgiven and Dead Black, both new bands that loving kill (esp. Dead Black, so heavy). Soul Control is on the up and up, Wrong Side is always welcome to do "reunion shows", and I heard the Living Hell set was just violence x 1000. They are on my good side because they played my friend Chris' "going away show" (getting shipped to Iraq) and he asked them to cover Integrity, and they did and it ruled.

Dillinger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 31, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Kevar posted:

I haven't been to a hardcore show in...hmmm...a long loving time. I think the last one I went to was in August or September. Went to a couple metal shows in October. Last time I saw any show was loving Anthony Green around New Years (a girl wanted to go, so I'm not THAT big of a human being). Luckily theres a Blacklisted show in May and Killing the Dream, Ruiner, Trap Them in June. I miss going to shows.

There's a few Blacklisted shows around CT, MA, and RI in that time frame, I should be at all of them I hope. The Killing the Dream tour I'm amped for, I've only been able to see them once. And Trap Them is playing around RI again with Disfear so hells yes. Terrific shows coming up.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Integrity. Pulling Teeth. The Swarm. Cursed. LIVING HELL. Rise and Fall.

I'll grab some myspace links in a second.

edit: there. Listen to Living Hell and throw a table.

Dillinger fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 1, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Lazlowrocks posted:

Anyone know if Bane's going on tour again anytime soon? The most recent dates I can find are from 2006. :(

They're writing a new album or are going to very soon, and then tour.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Deathwish and Bridge Nine are on the top of the pile for modern hardcore, by far.

Finally picked up the new Reign Supreme today...this band seriously kills it.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

And Rivalry. It's at the top if you like good hardcore anyway.

I kid, I kid!

I count Rivalry and 1918 and pretty much every other label as being on an even level directly below the standards B9 and DW set for being record labels. There's a glut of good indie hardcore labels out there right now run by solid guys (GOOD DUDES BACKED HARD) but B9/DW have stepped the game up majorly just in terms of how a label is run.

edit: Better suggestion that Earth Crisis for an Integrity frame of mind would definitely be Vegas, another Dwid project that sounds pretty epic. I'll also recommend Ringworm (forget if it's been mentioned already), 100 Demons (both albums are spectacular but "In the Eyes of the Lord" may suit your fancy more), Watchfire (who come out of Harder the Fight, a VERY Integ. influenced band), Dead Black from Boston, Unforgiven from CT, and Millenial Reign.

Phew. Links+.

Dillinger fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 3, 2008

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

zeldadude posted:

Bane, Meltdown, Wake Up Call, I Rise, Give Em Hell, Talk Is Cheap

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Dillinger I assume you're going to this?

edit: holy poo poo, then a week later Outbreak, Miles Away, Hands In, Dead Hearts, Cruel Hand, Where I Stand

That's in Amherst, right? That's the most painful 2 hour drive away from where I live, and I've seen Bane a zillion times. I do have a friend who lives on the Amherst campus who wants to see and party with me so who knows, maybe I'll make a trip out for that. I WILL however be going there for Killing the Dream even if they are playing Providence...only ever seen them once, I need to get my fill in case they kick the bucket.

I hate drives that feel way longer than they are, that's one of'em.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Beanpants posted:

Saw Converge last night. While they pretty much stuck to Jane Doe and after, and playing way too much No Heroes, a Converge show is a guaranteed good loving time, every time.

This is the tour with Red Chord, Baroness, Genghis Tron? I enjoyed every band besides Converge way more. They only played one song I wanted to hear, Conduit :(

Had way more fun during the Red Chord. Baroness knocked my hearing out while I was headbanging. No good.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Mike_V posted:

I really hope they limit the meathead NYHC. I cannot stand Murphy's Law.

Since when is Murphy's Law a meathead band

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Since forever?

Last I checked they sounded more like an old school punk/hardcore hybrid, and instead of breakdowns and beatdowns they just drank lots of beer and smoked lots of weed and had way more fun than just about any other band ever

Jimmy Gestapo rules.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I dunno about anyone else but I think I consider A Wilhelm Scream to be one of the bands that's going to help shape the future of punk. So stupidly talented, terrific live show, amazing energy, great lyrics, inventive and impressive songwriting that's really unlike anyone else out there right now (that I know of).

Saw them again last night and I can really see this band taking it to a new level. Just go listen to Career Suicide, and if by the time The Horse comes on you're not swayed, I dunno what to tell ya.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Cowboy Kyle posted:

Also whats the opinion on Story of the Year?

First album was overproduced by the same guy who did the Used. Few good tracks but definitely hampered by that fact. The last song is a pretty fun westcoast style melodic hardcore song with a sweet fun breakdown at the end.

Second album is one no one ever really gave much of a shot. It really sounds like a staight up melodic hardcore record, it's ridiculously catchy, has plenty of punch, good lyrical content...I could see them touring with bands like Ignite or Stretch Arm Strong easily. Hell all the guys in the band are down with the 'core but they won't ever really shrink down past their current level which bums me out. If anything grab this album (In the wake of determination) and listen to it start to finish with an open mind.

Also Norma Jean is snoozefest and always has been, but I might be biased because I heard Luti-Kriss at the same time and was like "wow this numetal faggotry became norma jean? what losers"

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

We need to get off of the lovely metalcore subject.

Or people can talk about what they want to talk about, hardcore is a pretty broad subject

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

rivals posted:

I was joking.. for the most part :)

I really can never tell in these threads. That kind of music is usually unwelcome in here and REALLY unwelcome in the metal thread, and it's own thread dies out super fast every time.

To keep with the theme of "almost hardcore related":

Gorilla Biscuits alternate cover is rad. Has "Good dudes" etched on side A, "Backed Hard" on side B. Didn't bother getting the other colors of ISHC, and I'm only missing the friends/family/staff version of the 7" because I'm well, none of the 3.

To get back to punk: saw Disfear on sunday with Trap Them. loving amazing. Of course they were sold out of the Live the Storm NA tour version LP by the time they got to my city :( Seeing Tragedy, Dropdead, and Systematic Death on Saturday. I'm going to smell so loving bad coming out of that show. The hygiene in this city is atrocious.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Corbet posted:

EDIT: Hey Dillinger, you should post pictures of your vinyl collection some time. It must be huge.

Not so big, trust me. I lack a real camera so it'd be a pain to get it all taken piece by piece, I would otherwise. I can update my list and post that later, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I'm jealous. But I know down the line a Boston show will happen...it's Bridge Nine, it's Chris Wrenn, it's Kris Mission, and it's probably one of their most rabid fanbases in the country out here and they know it.

My feet won't touch the ground once during NFG except when I have to lift myself onto some object to jump from