Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Matt, my friend from hackney or wherever introduced me to the bassist while I was in the UK last so we hung out and vegged all night and morning, they're awesome. Sat around talking about tour and british sitcoms. I'll be in the UK next march too if you want to hang out. Pulling Teeth was awesome too- Harms Way and Weekend Nachos opened. For a bigger venue (Reggie's in Chicago) a lot of people came out with some excellent mosh.

Seeing Catburglars open for MOTO tonight, think I might skip MOTO although I do like them and just sneak in for the opener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Phillyt posted:

Haha I can tell by your Avatar and quote that you are indeed a fan of the music I was referencing to. My friend made a tape for me of his Detestation LP (original!!), was just listening to it the other day. Did you hear Conflict is going to tour with Rubella Ballet in 2008?

Edit: Rudimentary Peni is amazing as well. The Death Church LP is one of the most powerful records of the early eighties.
Ty from Detestation used to have a chili cookoff night here and introduce himself to everyone as "Hey, I'm Ty, you know, from Detestation?"

I saw Conflict a few years ago at the CBGB's benefit, it was awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Phillyt posted:

I was talking about GISM's album Detestation. Zounds would be great to see even just for a few older tracks. Uproar and the Fiend are reuniting for that big festival this December or early next year. It's only in the UK though :(
Hah, wondered why anyone would bring up detestation, my bad. Zounds would be interesting, I'd definitely go but I don't really listen to the stuff anymore. There was a rumor Chumbawumba was supposed to play nevermind the ballots era stuff about four or five years ago but it never surfaced.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Phillyt posted:

It's still kinda surreal to me how they went on EMI and put out that dance stuff... There goes like 15 years of credibility.
They did sell some of their bigger hits to commercials and use the money to backstab the focus of the commercials (GM), which in my mind is pretty sweet. I still don't get why they went with dance music though, that completely baffles me.

I keep thinking about getting a conflict tattoo, but with all the drama since the no power/carlo records and the music videos (which I have to say were pretty wild) I kinda don't want to. I saw them live a few years back and they still rock.

I'm going to the 86 mentality/mind eraser/hosed up show in NYC this saturday if anyone's going. Should be a wild time.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

DonnyOsmond posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Career Suicide? They are loving awesome, if you haven't had the chance to listen to them.
CS is loving sick, saw them a few weeks ago the same day as homostupids, millenial reign and double negative. Destroyed..

Dillinger posted:

Also, great video, In Defence playing Taco Johns: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5b172JK57g
Yeah this band is straight up retarded, I actually like the record and I made a tape with boom box crew on it that I play over and over and over. BOOM BOX CREW.

I'm glad Gehenna didn't play, sorry whoever went, otherwise I'd be pissed. Never Healed made new tshirts with the thule society logo on them, I am way more into that band's lyrics and stolen imagery than I am their record. Still don't have their demo though. Furthermore the split on spiderghost has even better imagery and name.. for the record though.

Here's what happened in NYC:

First band opened, I don't think many people listened. I thought it was a sound check, we all hung out near the bar trying to sleep (I flew, everyone else drove 15+ hrs). I checked out the stage and there was a metric ton of pro lighting equipment (picture on the FU blog) and 35mm cameras on little tracks. Ridiculous. I got in dead front and put on my moshing face.

86 Mentality plays, during terror boys I think someone cold clocks some random person standing outside the pit and it gets kinda wild and way more awesome. The only brief speech made was saying that skrewdriver sucks and they wouldn't cover it.

Mind Eraser got up and covered my rules, pretty good crowd response but there were a LOT of people sitting around the balcony or just milling around the back.

hosed Up got up and people surged forward hoping to be on camera then the lights go out and a bunch of weird obnoxious noises are played really loud to be picked up for the movie I guess. Ben (no warning, guest guitar) goes up to the mic and shouts "WILL YOU TURN THAT OBNOXIOUS poo poo OFF" then I think someone told him its for the movie, I hope its still in the mix though, absolutely hilarious. Six hours of annoying poo poo later they play year of the pig and a spotlight hits damian and four or so people start diving (I was biding my time for the big lights). Main light hit a second later and I leap forward hoping to run in the direction of the main camera sig heil'ing the whole way there when these ENORMOUS industrial strobes kick in and I'm totally blind so I just wing it and go feet first tucked up into the crowd, get up and do it about 8 more times. As the song ends there are a bunch of lovely actor plants in the audience and a cameraman so I dove on top of what they were doing and a few other people did too.

Damian gets up, apologises for all the annoying film stuff, they play the rest of the set and everyone goes crazy. Crowd stays forward for whatever reason so it was stage dive city, lots of rolls and I think I saw a half cartwheel off the stage.

I managed to lose my keys, not realize it til I got to jersey, then get back into town the next day on a manhunt and found them through a series of phonetag.. it was so loving worth it. Awesome show. Picked up a couple records out there too- death angel, avengers, tyrant, epileptics, manson youth, spits..

Matt I am totally hooked on lovely limits, if you want to swap sometime let me know, chronic seizure are recording in january and theres a ton of stuff I can still send.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

mrmanatee posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/music/12musi.html?_r=3&ref=arts&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Arson Equity, I think your keys got mentioned in the New York Times.

Yea that's me.. I'm a moron. My dad clipped out the article and called me.

MattWPBS posted:

Sounds like New York was a blast. Lucky bastard.

Like I said, Limit's record release is on 1st December, so I'll pick you up a copy of the two 7"s that are out that day if you want?
Mos def

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

VLV is good, couple labels post good stuff there. I only really post on this and a local chicago board.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Someone posted a huge record collection picture on another board and damnit, I want some snipers records. That's just not fair.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Punch in the Face LP is out on Lengua Armada, the limited cover is weak compared to the regular cover so don't be bummed. Same guy Sutfin drew it as the ep's. Absolutely mandatory listening.

Picked up:

Dropdead - Unjustified Murder reissue
Sinks - Get outta my house
Threatener - And the bending of throats
Out with a bang - Love my life
Mob 47 - st reissue
Cold War - Bloody Nights
Blank Dogs - st ep
The Cult - Born to by wild
Shopping - st ep
Casus Belli - Punishment
Spits - 19 million ac
Manson Youth - death dance
Hellshock - warlord
Epileptics - last bus to debden

In Disgust - Reality choke

The Jam - All Mod Cons
Death Angel - the Ultra Violence
Tyrant - Too Late To Pray
VA - Nothings quiet on the eastern front
Avengers - st lp
Vendetta - go and live
Defiance (not the punk band) - Product of Society
Crow Music - st lp

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Speaking of suckers I just got Born To Expire, Brightside and Can't Close My Eyes on ebay. Brightside pic disk was 10$ cheaper, so I went with that over the 1st press, other two are 1sts.

Goooodbyyyye money. Helloooo records.

edit- and the Generations comp on blue

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 18, 2007

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Whoa, I totally expected something different then I noticed Olympia. No offense, I hate that stuff, and that town sounds like it generates pretty much nothing but that.

Chronic Seizure recording new album late january, I did a video interview with them last night full of really offensive (even to myself) horrible things I will comically edit down and hopefully put on youtube within a week or so.

edit- TEAR IT UP

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Full length on fashionable idiots/no way then an ep on lengua armada a month or two later.. get psyched.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

End Result, Negative Element, Strike Under, and Mentally Ill played last night and a few Naked Raygun songs thrown in with Jeff singing, rocked out of his mind.

The movie "You Weren't There" premiered, which is a great documentary on the history of early chicago punk and its venues. Highlight might be John Kezdy bitching about being an old clueless fart or Vic Bondi calling Steve Albini out for a fight on camera.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Picked up the Generations comp on blue and YOT first press on caroline.. boners

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Wasn't really Strike Under, sort of a scab lineup

Question, why do people like Cold World?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Few And the Proud "last last show" tonight, hell yes. King Khan and BBQ are playing with Busy Signals tonight too.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Few And The Proud were amazing, Convicted are actually really tight now, still don't like FSU though. Keep gangs out of hardcore.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

For my photo class I could pick my final assignment so I went with shooting records, basically. Collectors, people who cut/print records/sleeves, distros, labels, etc. When I get them back I'll post some funny pictures or disgusting record collector snobbery like my friend's handful of 86 mentality or life's halt test presses customized for him.. or all the crucial youth/naked raygun/token entry/negative approach/code of honor etc firsts he has.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

hosed Up's only website is http://lookingforgold.blogspot.com

They don't have an informative website but if you look through the posts you'll find pretty much anything you need to know and way more things that are completely fictitious or made-up.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

hosed Up links some of their tracks on their website. Their sound varies a LOT and they have a few experimental things thrown in. Get the "Epics in Minutes" CD or the Litany 12" LP (not 7" EP called Litany) to get a pretty good idea of the early sound.

Catburglars are AWESOME. Local heros. I have some video of them, they have some sweet limited tour edition Bl'ast ripoff tshirts.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

theEZkill posted:

i hear the more you talk poo poo on slightly popular bands your hxc cred goes up. confirm / deny?

I dunno I heard screamo/house crossover is loving retarded and I can confirm it by listening to that myspace page.

Picked up basement screams repop, powerbomb anthems (lim/100), paying ohmage and a lee scratch perry ep.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Go to TIFY if you can, Harms Way is doing something special. The fact that Harms Way is even touring is special anyways. The Sick Fix tour is sweet too, lineup change finally from what I hear.

The Wolfdowners lp is out too, think combining the Darvocets lp with the Homostupids lp. Cleveland rocks.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

The writing on poo poo-Fi is excellent, kinda wish some of the more serious record nerds in chicago would pen up zines from the 70's and 80's rather than talking about judge hammer tattoos. If I see another judge hammer I'm gonna kill myself.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Strung Up, Wolfdowners and S.T.R.E.E.T.S.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I actually like USS more but maybe I'm just a weiner.

(I haven't seen her in many moons but chloe rocks, ask her about her friend jim beam)

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 15, 2007

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Saw ringworm tonight, tight as gently caress, seriously surprising. The headliner was suicide file with blacklisted, the killer, other generic bands and the convicted. The only good part was ringworm's set and talking with their roadie who is charlie from lethal aggression.

I only liked suicide file's set because it was so packed I could headwalk back and forth. I seriously cannot get into that band.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Not into that band at all. I went for ringworm.

Hope Con is snoozefest, I like their graphic designer though (not for hardcore records, but they do nice work)

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 16, 2007

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Gehenna repress preorders (also interview in Earth Sucks #2 fanzine) on green and orange are up on the A389 store, Pulling Teeth vinyl shipped/shipping. hosed Up christmas single is shipping or possibly sold out, I dunno if there's show only vinyl but I would guess there is. Its 10$ any which way you buy it as a charity so this is possibly the one time you can't bitch about their prices. Also features no less than 3 million guest artists. Posi Force last show coming up too.

ed- Millenial Reign out as well as a shirt. Not as good as the pinkeye shirt tho, imho, bro.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 18, 2007

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I didn't like Earth Sucks #1 at all, this one is okay due to the Harms Way and Gehenna interviews which are also terse and filled with inside jokes. There's a huge demo review too with tons of new stuff I haven't heard.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Threatis posted:

- The "Metal Head Drummer" in the Hardcore band.
- The "Stage Stalker" lead singer ("this song goes out to all those who feel...." while traipsing across the stage from end to end).
- Mr. "Back To The Audience".
- Basketball jerseys. what was up with that?
None of these things have stopped happening and Sports Wings Beer is an "excellent" band.

Got DRI's Dirty Rotten LP, passed up a mint copy of Effigies' Haunted Town tho.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

EvilRobot posted:

(You better have been deciding between rent and records)
Effigies? I've seen a much nicer copy for less at the same record store, plus they're not that amazing of a band. There are much better old chicago bands.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Born Bad, Chronic Seizure, No Slogan and I Attak played tonight as well as Silver Abuse reunion, pretty awesome. Chronic Seizure is recording in feb and the lp will be out soon.

If anyone's interested I think Fashionable Idiots records still has the first eat poo poo ep

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I've never heard No Slogan called melodic hardcore, you sure you're thinking of these folks: http://www.myspace.com/noslogan ?

Here's s'more chicago mayhem

THE REPOS
http://www.myspace.com/therepos
CHRONIC SEIZURE
http://www.myspace.com/chronicseizure
PUNCH IN THE FACE
http://www.myspace.com/pitfchicago
CATBURGLARS
http://www.myspace.com/catburglars
WEEKEND NACHOS
http://www.myspace.com/weekendnachos
SIN ORDEN
http://www.myspace.com/sinorden
CONDENADA
http://www.myspace.com/condenada
HARMS WAY
http://www.myspace.com/harmsxway
ALWAYS AWARE
http://www.myspace.com/alwaysxaware
CANADIAN RIFLE
http://www.myspace.com/canadianrifle
I ATTAK
http://www.myspace.com/iattack312
REGRESS
http://www.myspace.com/regressnow

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

You get to hate Weekend Nachos so much you end up loving them.

From the mouth of John, their singer, in Hot Food issue 1:

quote:

why do girls want to be friends with me? seriously, i don't understand it. yes, it's true i can have female ACQUAINTANCES. you know, girls i talk to at shows, girls i think are cool people, girls i'm friends with on Myspace, girls i can hang out with in groups, girls who are dating friends of mine, Michelle who is my female roommate and she rules a lot...but girls who want to actually BE friends with me and hang out, one on one, with no other purposes other than just being buds??? this just does not make sense.

(snip)

i don't need to get my nails done. i don't need to go to a loving ART MUSEUM. these are things that GIRLS need to do with OTHER GIRLS, not me. (more snip)

Yeah, he's clearly insane. He had a letter in MRR recently about the Vile repress by parts unknown and something about the XBrainiaX debacle with I believe Rabies? Anyways. Love him to pieces. He's like a 5 year old in a 20 year old's body.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Well kept secret: he was a painting major

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dry Rot is amazing, especially the concept album (was it on Deer Healer, maybe both the first EPs are on DH?) about the serial killer. My friend interviewed them for his zine Herpes- they have some loving weird rear end backgrounds though. I dug that ep but never saw them.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I guess Guaze are faster than bands like Snapcase, but that's the only differentiation I hear. And even then, all of the songs I've heard by Gauze sound identical.
Cool then you never actually listened to it, or cared about learning about them. If you don't like it why would you pretend to make a realistic opinion on it? Gauze sounds nothing like Snapcase at any speed, they certainly aren't anything like Snapcase, and I don't understand where the Snapcase comparison came from.

When The Geeks came someone asked if they were "another japanese hardcore band," possibly in reference to a Warhead/Forward tour that played the same venue a long time ago.

Who cares if you don't know some band, on the other hand, how ignorant do you have to be to say "oh, they look japanese to my feeble mind, therefore they must sound like Warhead or Forward! (sidenote, two bands that sound nothing alike)"

The Geeks are a straight edge south korean hardcore band that most people claim is blatant YoT worship. They opened by playing the Chicago Bulls starting lineup song. It was probably one of the top three shows at that venue I had ever seen for the record.

Summary: You can dismiss anything you don't like musically with "oh it all sounds the same." You sound like an idiot saying it though.

Some stuff I picked up this weekend-

Still Life - Slow Children at Play
Gauze - st ep
Swallowing poo poo - Love is the act of being moved into action
Nema/Warfare State - split
VA - Southeast Hardcore, gently caress Yeah (palatka, rear end in a top hat parade, end of the century party, in/humanity, etc)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Did you even read my revised post or just start foaming at the mouth when I said I didn't like Gauze?
Foaming at the mouth? Can we keep it civil? Read the quote I quoted, you said it sounds like Snapcase but faster, word for word.

quote:

I didn't compare Gauze to Snapcase in any way at all.
okay one more time

Inspector_71 posted:

I guess Guaze are faster than bands like Snapcase, but that's the only differentiation I hear. And even then, all of the songs I've heard by Gauze sound identical.
If I misread this please correct me

Inspector_71 posted:

I said that I think "hardcore" all sounds similar because any band that tries to experiment gets deemed "not hardcore" which is exactly what happened to Snapcase.

I just have never heard any hardcore bands that really grabbed me, it's my opinion. The reason none of them have grabbed me is that all of the bands I usually hear bandied about don't sound very different from each other to me. I remember Ramallah being hailed in one of these threads as some kind of revelation for the genre, when all it was was the same sound with a synth in the background.

Plus, it seems like all hardcore fans are fuckstick zealots as you just proved, which makes it impossible to have any discussions about the music.

And I'd also like to remind you that this whole thing started because ChaosNonMusica came off as a holy-than-thou douchebag, yet he was pretty civil in his response to my post.
I don't like Snapcase because its boring, that's just my opinion. You don't have to like Gauze. Ramallah wasn't a huge amazing mind blowing band, I thought they were terrible.

I was reacting to the fact that you listened to it once and said it sounds like Snapcase. To me that is mindblowing. That's all I wrote and followed it up with a story about how its funny when two bands are compared that have no similarities. IE how every recent record is compared to Crossed Out, like they're a cool namedrop in record reviews now?

quote:

Plus, it seems like all hardcore fans are fuckstick zealots as you just proved,
This does nothing productive and just polarizes discussions. If you want to talk music, please do so.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

What about "hardcore sideprojects," aka bands hardcore folks play in that aren't hardcore?

I just got Exalted's We Are the Grim Throng and it loving rules, just as MK Ultra did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

http://www.myspace.com/cokebust

My friend puts out their record, if you want any matt.

http://www.myspace.com/thirdxpartyrecords

FPO lp whenever it gets sorted out.. they were going to tour but their visas didnt get through apparently.