Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

I don't know what you've heard of all this so far, and this is all at the top of my head, but here goes anyway.

Algernon Cadwallader - basically a Cap'n Jazz rip-off, but they rule, so it's all good
Snowing
American Football - lot's of the same members as Cap'n Jazz, less punk, more indie rock, though
Owls - 4 of the 5 members of Cap'n Jazz are in Owls, just missing a little of the energy, though
Grown Ups
Snowing
The Promise Ring
Castevet - more similar to American Football than Cap'n Jazz, but if you can also dig some build-ups and crescendos, it's so good
make me, boy problems, and street smart cyclist. maybe bridge and tunnel.

also don't bother with american football or castavet those are different sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

I said in my post that they aren't too similar, but they're definitely worth checking out, and if you don't think so, you're hopeless.

He didn't ask for bands that sounded like american football or castavet. :confused:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Being into Against Me! in 2010 is precious.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dickeye posted:

I was never into Against Me! anyway, I just didn't know if anyone here would care about it

I didn't mean to imply that you were I was just kinda speaking generally. My fault. Implying someone is into AM! is harsh.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I'll be seeing them on saturday. Should be great.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
The best skramz has been suis la lune, dolcim, and battle of wolf 359

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

ChrisFarley posted:

I don't think I mentioned Saetia at all... on purpose :twisted:. Also, We Bury Our Dead Alive for me.

All the yk albums are good.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Pantalones! posted:

since after some time there's nothing left to discuss about skramz.

Impossible.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

They are printed on the cross shirt if you dont want to buy the record. Speaking of, doesnt someone have some Celeste vinyl they were trying to sell? Im looking for Misanthrope(s) and I cant find it anywhere.

ifb still has at least one: http://ifbrecords.com/pages/other.html

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

I saw I Hate Myself this weekend. Screamo is dead as hell.

I Hate Myself isn't a serious screamo band.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

I know, I'm just saying an I Hate Myself reunion is totally jumping the shark. The crowd was a bunch of 20 year olds that creeped out the singer after the show.

Bummer.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

GHOSTBONER posted:

So is anyone else planning on going to the Street Smart Cyclist reunion show with Algernon Cadwallader, Slingshot Dakota, Ape Up!, and The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die on Dec. 26? It should be insane. The facebook page for the event already has more than 400 confirmed guests. I'm hoping to go with a couple friends of mine, but it's a long ways away from Georgia (about 1500 miles roundtrip).

I am now.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Anyone register for pix fest today? I'm in it's gonna be nuts.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Hell yeah, that rules.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
This tape is an absolute rager. Don't buy a big mac and scarf it in your car! Instead pick up this fire. I did.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Eight Is Legend posted:

Recommend me something like The Saddest Landscape's "You Will Not Survive" (which is free this week on Bandcamp: http://thesaddestlandscape.bandcamp.com/).

Her Breath on Glass is a TSL side project and they are good. You may also like some skram classix like Joshua Fit For Battle and Wolves. If you don't mind it being in another language: Daitro, Amanda Woodward, La Quiete. You could also check out On The Might of Princes, Life at These Speeds, and Sinaloa which will take you some interesting directions.

This is all pretty easy stuff so good luck!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Best Friends Day is the worst.

Yeah I don't live in RVA so the activities day sorta alienates non-locals unless you're in a big group anyway. I live close enough to go whenever I feel like at the drop of a hat but I'm still pretty far removed from the community. I'll just be going to the shows I want to see.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

It also alienates any locals who have a brain. You should come to Richmond for shows that don't suck.

I'm there all the time and try to see the best shows I can! The Two Funerals/Coke Bust/Lemuria show @ gallery 5 not long ago was really cool just for the weird mix of people attending

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dickeye posted:

Subhumans. gently caress Ben Weasel.

Seriously though, gently caress Ben Weasel.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
He's very outspoken on his dumb radio show or whatever about what is and is not "Punk" and he's a really bad music critic who puts his foot in his mouth at every possible opportunity.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ferrule posted:

Everything Ben says/writes/blog/does is done to get this exact reaction - and he's been doing it for 20+ years.

The guy ain't lying when he says he loves playing the heel.

Emphasis on PLAYING.

Ben Weasel apologist spotted.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

MisterFister posted:

The Ben Weasel hate in this thread is hilarious. There isn't a person in this world who wouldn't give a poo poo more. Anyway the new album is up on their myspace. I'm really digging it so far!

Good thing he's got you to hang out in here and give a poo poo for him then I guess. That's awfully nice of you.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I love jokes about punching women. Definitely the coolest thing to do here is get the ol' joke juices a-flowin'.

Ben Weasel or not, perhaps choose to take the high road when discussing this.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Hell Diver posted:

Though to be fair, Screeching Weasel has never really been that kind of a punk band and we're years removed from the punk scene that would have found this kind of action remotely tolerable.

Which era of the punk rock "scene" was tolerant of violence against women again?

Assuming that all punk rock originated from a wellspring of drugs and violence without backing it up is very intellectually dishonest. Especially so considering that there are numerous punk rock communities that revolve around the exact opposite!

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 20, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

How are Against Me! currently? They're coming near me with Lemuria and Screaming Females supporting them (which is why I'm going). I haven't listened to anything by them beyond Reinventing Axl Rose, and I know they've changed a lot, but can they put on a good show?

They're terrible now. Leave before they play. It doesn't sound anything like that EP and even if it did, I'd still leave.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I'll be there with my friends should be a riot.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Awesome thanks for the heads up.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I'm sure I'll be there soon enough on Saturday to see them since Sundials rules. Thanks for the tip!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
IF YOU WEREN'T IN loving RICHMOND THIS WEEKEND

gently caress YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

hedgecore posted:

Stay Sweet Fest was stupidly fun. So much fun playing again and the turnout was great. Really good crowd, awesome bartenders, and even the weather generally held out just fine, all things considered.

gently caress I totally forgot you were filling in for Dead Ringer! I would have found you and bought you a beer/pepsi. Either way you killed. We actually rolled in right as or right before ya'll were setting up I believe or something like that.

I'm still tired.

Also the staff at the camel were awesome as hell and I love it when I get to see venue staff having fun and crowdsurfing with all the smelly kids because it means they are more likely to host something like that again and again and again.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 18, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I live just under 3 hours southwest in Roanoke. One of the reasons we were so pumped on it is that to go to any other fest it's a loving road trip but this was a brief jaunt down the road.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Oh my god if any of you don't love Spraynard you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

iron chic posted:

ditto spraynard. spraynard loving rules. nightlights from florida sounds a lot like latterman. also, rvivr, shorebirds, iron chic, and bridge and tunnel are all ex-latterman bands and i would group them with latterman before i would group latterman with d4 or banner pilot.

mostly because banner pilot sort of sucks.

drat we should hang out

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Weekend Nachos does suck so he's not too far off.

They write like a dumb idiot and scenepolice old guard vs newjack bullshit is worse than a million pc punks so this blogpost is garbage and weekend nachos is unoffensive and nothing to get that mad about unless apparently you're some internet nerd who thinks pv in 2011 is max lulz for teh lose.

Also I stand behind anyone who is outspoken against homophobia so I picked my side.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

iron chic posted:

in other news, i'm stoked to see spraynard in a couple days!

i love those dudes w/ all my little heart

shoutouts to every band w/ dudes named pat

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 31, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's too bad they call people out for moshing/stage-diving so they certainly aren't above alienating people for doing things they don't like.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
They're against it in general but they dont make that clear before shows and instead wait until someone does it and call them out/ostracize them just for not knowing. It's the worst possible way to go about it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

hedgecore posted:

In my experience, discussion spirals toward opinions on girl singers when I don't mention that up front - while that's its own debate, and still boils down to personal preference, I just normally find it easier to note in the description.

It's easily and almost always interpreted as exploitative when you put it up front. Even if you don't mean to present it as a novelty, it will be interpreted that way. Nobody is going to assume you are doing that to avoid debate.

Punk bands are just punk bands. Leave your gender at the door.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Cathab posted:

jangly screamo stuff (Ampere etc)

:staredog:

Cool EP but I'm over twinkles at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
They'll just start 5 more bands anyway.