Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Hydrac7 posted:

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and listen to the new Celeste. It's incredible.

Yes, agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Anyone see this?

Life At These Speeds posted:

FINAL COMMUNIQUE, WITH THANKS TO ALL

One last time, blog...

Life At These Speeds has run its course, the band shall play no more. The end has been in sight for some time and though due to no ill occurrence, the moment has passed and the amps are turned off.

We feel as though LATS was a very worthy venture, as evidenced, if by nothing else, than by the length of the list of friends we owe to its existence. A great many thanks are heaped upon each and every one, known and unkown. These sentiments are conveyed with the utmost sincerity and with the hope that we shall meet again in the future.

As always, take great care,
Life At These Speeds

STOP FINAL BLOG

Now I feel infinitely worse about missing Funeral Diner and LATS last summer. Add them to the list of awesome bands to break up this year.. :cry:

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Best French bands:

-Mihai Edrisch (especially first LP)
-Celeste (especially the new one)
-The Third Memory
-Aussitot Mort (but Amanda Woodward is kind of boring)
-Daitro
-Belle Epoque
-Sed Non Satiata
-Brume Retina

It's hard to put them in order though.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I am definitely getting those Envy reissues. Can't wait!

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
My girlfriend ordered me the winter pre-order pack with Insomniac Doze as the free record for Christmas. :cool:

I really want that Ghastly City Sleep record too.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

mind eraser posted:

As odd as this sounds, I actually prefer the older 90s French emo bands to this current sound. And by that I mean bands like Fingerprint, Anomie, Jasemine, Peu Etre, Undone, Cartha Matha, and a few others.

I'm not familiar with any of the older ones

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Inspector_71 posted:

Where can I buy that Envy stuff from TRL?

Inspector_71, posting about Envy? I'll be damned! http://www.temporaryresidence.com - go to their catalog.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Since you mentioned pg.99, might as well throw them out there too.. they have some songs that are City of Caterpillar-ish. Also, do yourself a favor and listen to Portraits of Past early on in your screamo career. Off Minor is another one of my favorites in the genre.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I am disappointed to not see this mentioned in the thread so far. Capsule/Robotic Empire have posted a new song off of their upcoming album Blue. It is going to be released February 12.

http://www.myspace.com/CapsuleFL

I have high hopes for this album/band, especially after seeing them at Dude Fest.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

p0isonxfree posted:

Did anyone expect otherwise?

EDIT: gently caress yes, Titus just got Daitro/Sed Non Satiata splits in. Order them at http://www.vinyljunkiedistro.com/ asap, I think they'll go quick.

I went to the site with the intention of spending ~$10-12 on a 12", and I ended up spending $60. drat you screamo!

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Parachute Underwear posted:

New Pyramids is sick. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order it.

Oh drat, I almost forgot about that one, I will have to listen to it.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

d0grent posted:

I'm looking for the name of a band, maybe one of you guys can help me.

They are a screamo band, and they are pretty awful, which is why I want to find this video. Their newest (if not only) video has them all playing in a completely white room, that's it. They have a white lead vocalist and a black scream vocalist. That's about all I can describe them with, hoping the "black screaming vocalist" will help.

Thursday?

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

WashinMyGoat posted:

Has anyone heard the new Life at these Speeds split with Thank God? I just ordered it because I didn't realize they still had some music coming out after they broke up. I hope it's top notch. It's on Tick Tock Records.

Yes, I got it last week, it's awesome.

And... Thursday don't have a black backup screamer guy? Hmm, I always thought they did.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I haven't gotten my Envy preorder, but I'm expecting it by Saturday or early next week.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Parachute posted:

Clockcleaner

I saw this band headline a show at Purdue when I didn't know who they were (I was there for Holy Bible). They were so unexpectedly great. I still haven't gotten around to actually listening to their albums, but I'd love to see them live again.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Capitan Dad posted:

Album of the year is Daitro and Sed Non Satiata.

I really, really like the Daitro side. Probably their best release overall. The Sed Non Satiata side is good too.

But let us not forget Capsule.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Hydrac7 posted:

Where are their tour dates? I couldn't find it on their myspaces.

No tour dates yet. Late July/early August.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
OFF loving MINOR posted a new song! It is 36 seconds of awesome.

Also I really like ...Who Calls So Loud and hope to go to their first show, whenever that may be.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

THE LUMMOX posted:

Is it the same vox as FD?

Nope, it does sound similar though.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Elder sounds great. For some reason I thought Balboa were from France (like the time I thought Cease Upon the Capitol were from Germany - whoops!) so when you said members of Towers/Balboa I didn't know what the gently caress.

Oh, I think I was confused because they did a split with Aussitot Mort.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Capitan Dad posted:

Soooo Raein is playing a show in Italy on May 25 with Off Minor and Daitro and there seems to be some speculation about a Raein reunion tour. Anyone know anything more about it? This is goddamn sick.

Man, gently caress the Euro motherfuckers who get to see those 3 bands at the same show.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

MrWhite posted:

Soooooooo I've been listening to a lot screamo/emo violence type hardcore lately, and I'm looking for some more bands that might be up my alley and still around and playing today preferably.

Anyone recommend me some bands like:

Ampere
Pg. 99
Orchid
Wolves
Swing Kids
Union of Uranus
Amanda Woodward
Welcome the Plague Year
The Red Scare
Palatka
Louise Cyphre
La Quiete
Circle Takes Square
Neil Perry
City of Caterpillar
Don Martin Three

(or alternatively, if you are looking for some good screamo and haven't heard this, I highly recommend the listed above)

Looks like a good start. Last.fm is your friend. Also this has not been said: PORTRAITS OF PAST. Do that right now.

Edit: Comadre are still alive and kickin', give them a try.

ddonahue99 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 5, 2008

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
EP? Their first release will be that 2x10" coming out next month. As far as I know it hasn't leaked -- err.. scratch that, I just checked again.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Charleston Jew posted:

Saw Who Calls So Loud tonight, pretty good, although I wish the lead singer hadn't had his back turned to the crowd the whole time, I would have liked to see his face more WINK WINK.

Hey, I was there too. They were awesome. I think the lead singer was a little nervous, and he had a hard time playing his bass and singing at the same time. They played Assume the Power Focus, which is my jam.

I think that one guitarist of theirs is like 15 years old.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Capitan Dad posted:

Wait they have Dave Mello and Matt Bajda though right.

So the other guitarist is 15 and the bass player is also the singer? Cool.

Exactly. Well, the guitarist looks very young, not sure how old he actually is.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I was at the show where they were selling the infamous nacho chip, but by the time I squeezed my way through the ridiculous crowd to the merch table they were all gone. It was so crowded there. I wanted to get some of that eBay gold.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

rivals posted:

EDIT: Oh and how the gently caress has this not been mentioned. This summer Portraits Of Past is playing four shows. One will be at Slim's in SF, one at the gilman in Berkeley, one somewhere in the midwest (details to be determined), and one in NYC. I'll dig up the link a bit later.

Not that it matters at this point in time, but wasn't the SF date supposed to be at Bottom of the Hill?

I've heard that Phoenix Bodies and La Quiete might be playing with them at Gilman.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Capitan Dad posted:

Maybe I can actually go to a show in Europe.

Cry Me A River fest?

PB/La Quiete will be coming to Seattle but I highly doubt PoP will, if that makes you feel any better.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
The new Sinaloa is breathtaking. I really like it.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Some breathtaking shows in the Bay Area in the next few months:

May 9 - Capsule, Furnace, Comadre, Loma Prieta @ the Bike Kitchen
Early June - Ampere, others @ Gilman
August 2 - Portraits of Past, La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies, Comadre, others @ Gilman
September 20 - Zann, Graf Orlock, Comadre, others @ Kinda Like a Fest 4 in Half Moon Bay

I am EXCITED.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I will be at all of those shows, plus Dude Fest, and nothing is going to stop me.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Inspector_71 posted:

Dude, Ampere are from MA and play shows in the northeast constantly.

Srsly. Ampere NEVER make it out to California, which is why I am so excited. Also I found out that they're playing with Baader Brains, which makes it even better.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Big Blue Violence posted:

If you are remotely into emo/screamo/whatever, go see Who Calls So Loud if they are coming anywhere near you. I just saw them yesterday and it was great.

edit: they're also selling Funeral Diner merch for way cheap. $3 LP's what up.

NO WAY. gently caress! I have seen this band twice in the bay area and they didn't have Funeral Diner merchandise.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Yeah, the bay area is ridiculous right now. Some upcoming shows:

May 9 - Comadre, Loma Prieta, Capsule, Furnace
May 10 - Comadre, Ceremony, others
May 17 and 18 - Graf Orlock, Ghostlimb
June 8 - Ampere, Baader Brains, Punch
June 12 - Young Widows, Russian Circles, Daughters
August 1 - Portraits of Past, others TBA in SF
August 2 - Portraits of Past, La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies, Comadre in Berkeley
August 3 - Comadre, La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies, Who Calls So Loud in Redwood City
September 20ish - Graf Orlock, Zann, Comadre, more (Kinda Like a Fest 4)

Much rock is on the horizon.

ddonahue99 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 1, 2008

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

rivals posted:

I think Aug 2 is at the Gilman, not RWC. They may have changed it though. If it's at Oddstadt OH GOD.

Oh, my fault, I had it mixed up. Aug 2 is at Gilman, Aug 3 is at Oddstad.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

rivals posted:

Cross posted in the vinyl thread but I thought you guys might be a bit jealous of my amazing mail day today. I'm loving stoked.

Again you have me convinced that you sell drugs and alcohol to minors to be able to afford all those records.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Hydrac7 posted:

I guess now is the time for me to come out clean and say I was never really into pg.99 and thought they were mostly boring. But they had a few good songs.

Albert Ma does not give one gently caress about his screamo cred anymore. I'm also not huge into Pg. 99 but they are enjoyable every now and then.

I've recently been listening to a lot of Life at These Speeds. Everything that band did was fantastic.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
Yaphet Kotto might be playing that Gilman show on August 2 with Portraits of Past, La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies, and Comadre. :aaaaa:

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
I'm on VLV, Dead Format, and I rarely post in a couple of local forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]
For all of its shortcomings I still find VLV the most entertaining message board of the ones I go to. Dead Format is more mature and organized and somewhat boring. I don't do a whole lot of buying/trading on the boards but doing so on VLV has not burned me yet.