Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

mrmanatee posted:

1666 posts seems as good a place as any to restart the bloated LAST THREAD.

To start things off: everybody tell about the awesome halloween shows you got to go to.

Everybody who went to the Fest keep talking about it so I keep peeing my pants with envy.

After having Screeching Weasel's self-titled album for a while and still loving it, what album should I get next?

Yay, Dirt Cult Fest with Ghost Mice and the Dauntless Elite on Saturday.

Let's get the name-calling and hateful debates rolling!

I hope your Ghost Mice experience is better than mine. At The Fest on Sunday they refused to use the mics/amps and I couldn't hear any insturmentation, or the girl's voice. Just the dude's voice. It was sorta lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

mrmanatee posted:

Ah, that sucks. They're pretty staunch on their anti-amp stance. It's not really an issue outside of the fest, though. They've pretty much peaked as far as new listeners go, I think. And the last time I saw them (in Austin, not exactly a town devoid of their fanbase [filthy hippies]) they sounded A-Okay.

I'm really excited. I have barely listened to their music since then, but you can't deny the power of those singalongs.

FREE PIZZA FOR LIFE!

I'm sure that they sound better sans-amps, but it was an outdoor show and I was a good distance from the stage, and besides that a lot of people were disinterested and talking the entire time. They tour a lot though and when they come through town the consistently play the smallest venue here, so I'll get a chance to see them again.

I know this is an odd question, because I think I may have gone about this backwards, but someone posted Yo Man, Go! in the last thread, and a I loving love them. What are some other bands (maybe more popular ones) that sound the same?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

SpacePiper posted:

I won't go into how awesome the Fest, but I will say we had a killer show at my house on the Monday before the Fest. Line-up was:

Disaster Stalls (local kids)
O Pioneers!!!
Bridge and Tunnel
Down in the Dumps
Four Letter Word
Nothington
Off With Their Heads

Here are some pictures:

All photos here: http://flametal.smugmug.com/Music

Are you a Gainesville local? I didn't hear about this house show, and I wish I had :(

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Mike_V posted:

That tour is going to be pretty nuts. Bomb The Music Industry!, the Queers, Lemuria, Andrew Jackson Jihad? For 12 bucks? Yes please.

Wow what a great lineup to TOTALLY IGNORE FLORIDA :(

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Read the last few pages and didn't see any mention of this.

Someone made a Facebook event for The Fest 7 (Halloween!) and said that this was NOT the official band list, but WAS the list of bands who have already agreed to play. I dunno what this is supposed to entail, and I dunno who the person who made the event is, but here's the list for you anyway:

code:
Algernon Cadwallader
Ampere
Anchor Arms
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Ann Beretta
Assholeparade
Bang Bang
Banner Pilot
Benard
Bomb The Music Industry
Bridge and Tunnel
Broadway Calls
Capsule
Cheap Girls
Cheeky
Cobra Skulls
Comadre
Deep Sleep
Dirty Money
Drag The River
Fake Problems
Fiya
FC Five
Forensics
Four Star Alarm
Gatorface
Ghost Buffalo
In The Red
Iron Chic
Japanther
Jena Berlin
Josh Small
Landmines
Lemuria
Look Mexico
Methadones
Mose Giganticus
New Bruises
New Mexican Disaster Squad
Ninja Gun
No Trigger
None More Black
North Lincoln
Nothington
O Pioneers!!!
Off With Their Heads
OK Pilot
One Win Choice
Paint It Black
Polar Bear Club
Pretty Boy Thorson
Radon
Ringers
Ruiner
Saw Wheel
Scouts Honor
Shang-A-Lang
Shook Ones
Shot Baker
Strike Anywhere
The Brokedowns
The Copyrights
The Emotron
The Ergs
The Flatliners
The Holy Mountain
The Lawrence Arms
The Mae Shi
The Measure (SA)
The Menzingers
The Riot Before
The Sidekicks
The Swellers
Thunderlip
Two Cow Garage
VIRGINS
Worn In Red
X.O.X.O.
You, Me, and The Atom Bomb
Young Hearts
Young Livers

Ampere, BTMI, Lemuria, The Ergs, The Lawrence Arms all returning, and stoked about each. Also stoked for The Measure (SA) and The Mae Shi, though I'd never expect the latter to play The Fest.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

rivals posted:

I'm flying out for the fest this year. Stoked. Also lol @ warped and "emo".

Do you know anyone in town? If not, feel free hit me on AIM: Psychoanalyzing and chat. I'm a Gainesville local.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

SubtleDagger posted:

I haven't heard them since I don't listen to a lot of punk, I just saw Ampere, Comadre, Capsule and figured it was a hardcore fest. Meh.

This thread acquired the name "pre-gaming for Fest 7" just a month or so after The Fest 6 last year. I think it's fair to say that The Fest has a good (maybe not balanced) split of the three main genres in this thread's title.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Let's argue about what "punk" is.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I like seeing that this thread is going to be around long enough that people really will be pregaming for Fest 7.

poo poo I'm practically getting started right now. I printed out a schedule and highlighted all the bands I wanted to see.

Anyone else going?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Everybody that is going to The Fest, Ampere is playing a house show Saturday morning at 10. I figured I would let you guys know.

Also, if you're reading this (you're probably not) Algernon Cadawallader or however they spell it and Slingshot Dakota are playing a house show tomorrow (Sunday) at 10 AM.

And I've heard rumors of a secret show tomorrow night with one of the most popular bands here.

I don't wanna go blabbing addresses or "secret shows" that I'm not supposed to know about all over the internet, but IM me (AIM=Psychoanalyzing) for details or something.

PS Today was nuts. I love Gainesville at Fest-time.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I think this thread's name has to get changed now.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

Fest was great. If we're just namedropping secret shows, my favorite was the hotel room show Sunday night with Andrew Jackson Jihad, Porches, Bridge and Tunnel, and Bomb the Music Industry acoustic sets. The Ampere house show was great, and I was really happy to finally see Wingnut Dishwasher's Union at some gross punk house. As far as the actual fest shows, Cheeky and Comadre really killed it, and the Ergs went out on a good note. It's a shame that the Venue is so big, but I guess that's what happens when you get thousands of people that like the same music together.

Did they end up playing that "secret show" I heard rumors about by the pool at the Holiday Inn where registration one? I didn't even go out on Sunday because I was so thrashed from Saturday.

Also didn't end up going to ANY house show, though I heard Andrew Jackson Jihad on Friday night got shut down by cops on horseback due to riots or some poo poo. People were apparently car-surfing and all manner of things.

My Saturday was pretty rad though. The Measure[sa], Armalite, Lemuria, Slingshot Dakota, Pink Razors...almost all girl-fronted bands.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

As far as I know the Ergs secret show didn't happen. Mikey Erg was at the hotel room show so I know I didn't miss it. There wasn't an AJJ house show on Friday, they didn't get in to Gainesville until Saturday. And the house show that night wasn't shut down I'm pretty sure. It was really obnoxious however (crowdwise). Saturday ruled so hard though, between the Kickstand and the Atlantic, I got to see a lot of my favorite hardcore and folk punk bands.

I guess I was misinformed then, and it was some other house show Friday night.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
If I am crazy obsessed with The Ergs! and The Unlovables right now who else should I check out? The Ergs! has been a long-term thing but just now getting into The Unlovables.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

Is that My Brain Hurts, or is that Boogada? Either way, you're good to go.
And if you like that, the Queers' Love Songs for the Retarded

1993 looks like Anthem for a New Tomorrow. Is that still good or should I go with Boogada or My Brain Hurts?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

aunaturale posted:

I've been wondering for a while why everyone was always using the Smiths to be synonyms for being emo and pansy.

Isn't this just what people who have never really listened to the Smiths say to dismiss the Smiths?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

skull pressure posted:

Is anyone going to This Is For You Fest in Orlando? It's coming up soon. My band is playing day two. You should come, losers! A lot of good bands will be playing.

Check all the info out:

http://www.myspace.com/thisisforyoufest

Which band is yours? I sorta wanna go to this. It's a short drive for me. The only band I'm really familiar with is Lemuria though.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

baberaham lincoln posted:

That's a bummer... there are some REALLY awesome bands on this. Check out Ripshit, Poison X Planet, Coke Bust, Surroundings, Blackbirds, Cult Ritual, and I Rise because their live show is amazing even though their most recent album was a real let down.

Seriously, that's such a better line-up than I was expecting. Whenever it's a fest in Florida, I just assume KLU is headlining, and that the Bridge 9 crew bands will all be there (Verse, Cold World, Ceremony, Have Heart, etc etc.).

Speaking of Florida fests someone really needs to namechange this thread now that Fest 7 was nearly two months ago.

Thanks by the way. I'll check those bands out.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

I know there's only a few people here who give a poo poo but the Steinways broke up last night

Makes me kinda sad

NO gently caress THIS NO.

If The Unlovables also break up I will be so pissed. Some other pop punk bands need to fill these voids.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
While Lemuria is maybe the greatest (Get Better wasn't as good as their other stuff) they definitely don't fit in with that pop-punk trifecta.

And yes The Unlovables would definitely make up the third part.

Also Gorilla Marketing is better than Missed the Boat in my opinion but does anyone know if their Art of the Underground 7" is any good? I have it but I don't have a loving 45 adapter because I'm an idiot.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

Gorilla Marketing is awesome but I love Missed the Boat

You just hit that first chord to Diogo and it's Grath singing about being broke and smoking pot and the whole album becomes a thing of beauty

But I Think Your Nice and Dear Girl are probably my two favorite tracks off that album just because it's a perfect lead-in to a kick-rear end song

Missed the Boat loses my interest with Everybody Loves Raymond, Tangled up in Teenagers, and onlyundiesclub.com but everything else on the album is perfect.

On the other hand I feel like every single track on Gorilla Marketing has at least one super-standout moment.

The Unoriginal Recipe EP is really good too, especially Main Street, Flushing, USA.

Pissed I will never see this band live now.

Edit: Does anyone know where I can get anything by Nancy? They were on that NJ vs NY pop-punk compilation but I'm having trouble finding anything by them due to their generic name.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Saw a whole mess of bands at a Barracuda Sound showcase last night. Laserhead, Grabass Charlestons, Towers of Hanoi, Ninja Gun, and Averkiou. I missed Trailer of Tears, who were evidently playing their first show.

I had never heard of Ninja Gun before but they were loving fantastic. I just got into Towers of Hanoi and was excited to see them live but they weren't that great.

Also for being a punk show in Gainesville full of Gainesville bands, the crowd was sort of weak.

Edit because lack of enthusiasm is not the same as Sunday through Saturday.

Paper Triangle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 17, 2009

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
A post lamenting the breakup of The Steinways:

Have you guys heard the two songs in their Art of the Underground 7"? Black Lung and Headache-Girlfriend=Zero?

I think they're two of my favorites.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I just got back last night from the Harvest of Hope fest in St. Augustine. Kind of couldn't see all the bands I wanted to because I sort of had to babysit someone the whole time, but did get to see Bridge & Tunnel Saturday, plus Anchor Arms on Sunday. Both sets were great, and I think Bridge & Tunnel were being filmed for the HoH DVD. If so, it should be a really great DVD.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

gerfatty posted:

The Fest 8 initial lineup just got posted.

http://www.thefestfl.com/fest8/bands/

I'm pumped, already got my plane ticket, etc. The only bummer is no Lawrence Arms this year, but it's fine as I'll be seeing them at Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco in a couple months.

If you go, see The Menzingers. I cannot say more about the greatness of those kids.

Gainesville local; super stoked; will check out Menzingers.

I can't believe this thread has had the same name since just after Fest 6...and now Fest 8 looms ever nearer.

Really hoping I get to see The Unlovables this year since I missed them last year (and stupidly did not go to the Ergs! show because I was tired). Last Fest was laaaaaame for me.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I'm really bummed that House Boat canceled on Fest. And no Unlovables. And no Get Bent.

But Friday's Kickstand lineup and Saturday's Common Grounds lineup look stellllllarrrrrr.

This thread needs a new name pretty desperately.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

Look let me tell you something

I know a guy who knows a guy that's friends with Grath (seriously) and I have House Boat's first album

It is possibly the greatest thing ever

Like think of how awesome Missed The Boat was

Now multiply that by 10 and add Mikey Erg. It's that good

THAT SOUNDS GREAT AND ALL but I never got to see The Steinways and wanted to ask Grath if he would be my dad so THAT DOESN'T HELP.

That said:

You could probably get from Common Grounds to The Venue quick enough to catch at least most of Lemuria and D4. They're like less than a mile apart. If you have a bike or a ride it would be almost a non-issue.

PS: I want that album.

Paper Triangle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 27, 2009

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
The two posts above me make me really mad for very different reasons.

FEST DAY ONE was great. Kicked it at The Kickstand all day. Cheeky was great, didn't realize they'd broken up though.

loving IRON CHIC killed it for me. Most fun i've had since The Ergs at Fest 6.

I'll be at Common Grounds tomorrow most of the day. The stretch from Copyrights -> Young Livers is just such top-notch scheduling jujitsu. If you're there and you wanna come up and talk to me I'm the big stupid looking guy.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I've heard differently, that the cops were laughing and joking with each other while throwing kids face-first into curbs, but I wasn't there and it's all Gainesville hearsay. Thanks for the video link though.

Edit: The whole thing sucks mostly cuz I heard BTMI was going to cover the entirety of Enema of the State which would've ruled.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

Barrakuda McMurder (Grath from the Steinways/House Boat and whoever he finds to drum) put out a new EP for free

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fxtob6

Paging Paper Triangle and gerfatty

What the loving yes.

Thanks Dickeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dickeye posted:

Am I double posting about pop punk? Hell yes I am

Steinways at Insub 2010

There's a couple more I'll link in a bit but I gotta finish watching this one first

1 Like
Chris Grivet